Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! (23464 Views)

Rock Music Is Satanic? / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by mostojr: 10:25am On Apr 30, 2010
Been listening to rock for about 13 years.
Rock (all subgenres) is deep so I think people should be really be careful with the bands they listen to. Bands like Korn, Staind, System of the Down, etc have hidden occultic messages in their songs. For this reason, I switched to Christian Rock.

When it comes to christian rock you'll find extreme satisfaction cos the christian bands are just as good as their secular conterparts (some are better). Here are some of the christian bands I listen to and a brief description of what they sound like.

The Letter Black - This is alternative rock. They only have one album but the album is correct. The lead singer sounds a lot like Avril but the music is heavier (the bass guitar is louder).

Demon Hunter- Pure heavy metal. These guys are really noisy. If you can listen to this then you've crossed over from Rock to Metal.

Skillet - This is about the most popular christian rock band at the moment. They're even on Billboard. A lot of screaming here but the nice strings and guitar riffs will cover for all that.

38th Parallel - They sound a lot like Linkin Park. The mix down of their music is not as good though.

Casting Crowns - The gospel message in their song can convert a muslim in a day. Lol!

Okay. I'm tired of describing the bands. I'll just go ahead and list a few more then I'll tell you how to find their music for FREE.

Jeremy Camp
Haste The Day
Falling Up
Tenth Avenue North (This was the second best band of 2009, you should really try this)
Head Aka Brian Welch (this guy broke out of KORN so the two bands sound alike)
Destroy the Runner
Red (one of my favourite)

For those that are not really into the heavy rock thingy you can try some of the following bands.

Hillsongs United (Hillsong is old school)
David Crowder Band
Meredith Andrew
Sonic Flood
Downhere

Okay, these CDs are not available in Nigerian shops (except the Media store in The Palms) so you can download from www.jetdl.com.
All you have to do is search for the artist or the album and it will take you to a file sharing website where you can download full, high quality albums.
You can also get songs (singles) from www.beemp3.com
Some would recommend LimeWire but I won't because of all the wahala that come with it
If you need more info, holla!

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 11:39am On Apr 30, 2010
@mostojr

who art thou. . .
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:39am On Apr 30, 2010
[size=13pt]That dude does not belong here. . . .i wonder how on earth people can hate Rock Music. . . .Yeah__ good respond my dear. he should Bleep OFF this thread since he doesn't belong here.[/size]
Amya:

what do you know. . .

. . . and didn't you see the heading?  This thread is exclusive for rock lovers only.

So. F.UC.K OFF!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by mostojr: 12:17pm On Apr 30, 2010
@ exago - What's the question supposed to mean? I'm simply a rock/metal lover and an advocate of Christian Music.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 4:32pm On Apr 30, 2010
cos  . . .  I thot guys like me might be hard to come by . .not so though

been a rock fan way back. . do Christian rock now
you left out third day and David Crowthers' my best bands so far
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2010
mostojr:

@ exago - What's the question supposed to mean? I'm simply a rock/metal lover and an advocate of Christian Music.

ever listened to Kutless. . Strong Tower
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 30, 2010
woah, didnt even know diz kinda threAd existed cheesy cheesy
see me loving rock to d core now wink
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by elfuego(m): 7:57am On May 01, 2010
THeRe aRE GoOD ROcK banDs aNd soLO ARTiST In nigERIa. I reaLLy am a fAN ALso. I alsO siNg aND ProdUcE RoCk mUsIc- tIs reaLLy coOl
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:31pm On May 01, 2010
grin grin grin
luizworld:

woah, didnt even know diz kinda threAd existed cheesy cheesy
see me loving rock to d core now wink
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by rume(m): 10:52pm On May 01, 2010
mostojr:

Been listening to rock for about 13 years.
Rock (all subgenres) is deep so I think people should be really be careful with the bands they listen to. Bands like Korn, Staind, System of the Down, etc have hidden occultic messages in their songs. For this reason, I switched to Christian Rock.

When it comes to christian rock you'll find extreme satisfaction cos the christian bands are just as good as their secular conterparts (some are better). Here are some of the christian bands I listen to and a brief description of what they sound like.

The Letter Black - This is alternative rock. They only have one album but the album is correct. The lead singer sounds a lot like Avril but the music is heavier (the bass guitar is louder).

Demon Hunter- Pure heavy metal. These guys are really noisy. If you can listen to this then you've crossed over from Rock to Metal.

Skillet - This is about the most popular christian rock band at the moment. They're even on Billboard. A lot of screaming here but the nice strings and guitar riffs will cover for all that.

38th Parallel - They sound a lot like Linkin Park. The mix down of their music is not as good though.

Casting Crowns - The gospel message in their song can convert a muslim in a day. Lol!

Okay. I'm tired of describing the bands. I'll just go ahead and list a few more then I'll tell you how to find their music for FREE.

Jeremy Camp
Haste The Day
Falling Up
Tenth Avenue North (This was the second best band of 2009, you should really try this)
Head Aka Brian Welch (this guy broke out of KORN so the two bands sound alike)
Destroy the Runner
Red (one of my favourite)

For those that are not really into the heavy rock thingy you can try some of the following bands.

Hillsongs United (Hillsong is old school)
David Crowder Band
Meredith Andrew
Sonic Flood
Downhere

Okay, these CDs are not available in Nigerian shops (except the Media store in The Palms) so you can download from www.jetdl.com.
All you have to do is search for the artist or the album and it will take you to a file sharing website where you can download full, high quality albums.
You can also get songs (singles) from www.beemp3.com
Some would recommend LimeWire but I won't because of all the wahala that come with it
If you need more info, holla!

You've all gone mad. heeehheheh
Mostojr- I guess you like "Hanging on by a thread" I've had that on my webpage for over a month now. Beautiful drumming on the track, I must say.
The only band you mentioned I didn't know wasm 38th Parrallel.
I was never into secular rock. I though still scrutinise music whether it's by Hillsong or DCB or Demon Hunter, always test the spirit behind as much as possible.

And I hope you buy these songs and not download them from these filesharing websites for free, eh?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by walttt(m): 1:25am On May 02, 2010
waoh! whr ve i bn all along? guess most of us share a similar story, startin off suckin up to rap/hip hop and with a bitter distaste for Rock, but swappin both in d end. Woke up one day to discover my deep hunger couldnt be satiated anymore by wat the so called rap heads n new school were churning out n i found solace in Rock. Gosh, does Rock rock! I'm slammin ma trax evrytym n evrywhr, home, toilet, office, highway, jus the other day i was on d road wit ma ear piece lissenin to LP's Red to Black n i knelt down on d road n was playin an imaginary acoustic guitar! Well i know i'v gone bonkers for Rock but i'm more glad now knowin y'all r crayyyzay too! *no pun intended*, i lissen across all genres- hard rock, heavy, soft, punk, alternative, grunge, emo, etc n have devoted meself to exhumin all lost Rock hits, Y'all v got a nice compilation of Rock stars but i'm disappointed u left out Fuel, go lissen to Hemorrhage in my hands, plus i looove MCR, cld go on bt i'm sooo sleepy headed, peace******
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 5:11pm On May 02, 2010
walttt:

jus the other day i was on d road wit ma ear piece lissenin to LP's Red to Black n i knelt down on d road n was playin an imaginary acoustic guitar! Well i know i'v gone bonkers for Rock but i'm more glad now knowin y'all r crayyyzay too! *no pun intended*,

ROTFLMAO! I imagine what onlookers would say with you kneeling on the road playing with your imaginary acoustic. They'd be like geez, this dude has lost it!

But sincerely, i lose it too when i'm listening to rock, but i limit my madness to the confines of my own home.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 02, 2010
me love rock, hard rock and some trance muzilk too, i go places when am listening to them cheesy cheesy
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Shaunscot(m): 9:07pm On May 02, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Coldplay are not really rockers in my view. They're more on the alternative side. In fact, I would put them in pop alongside Robbie Williams, Wet Wet Wet, Village People, Elton John, and those kinda people.

For me if you're talking rock, you must either be grunge, death metal, album, indie, symphonic, or punk rock. The type that makes you bob your head.

I beg to disagree.

Songs are classified as Rock or Not based on 2 things.The strings and drums.

Does coldplay have both? The answer is YES.

A lot of people now classify songs as Rock now based on the level of noise in the song which is wrong.

Just thot I'd clarify that bit

walttt:

waoh! whr ve i bn all along? guess most of us share a similar story, startin off suckin up to rap/hip hop and with a bitter distaste for Rock, but swappin both in d end. Woke up one day to discover my deep hunger couldnt be satiated anymore by wat the so called rap heads n new school were churning out n i found solace in Rock. Gosh, does Rock rock! I'm slammin ma trax evrytym n evrywhr, home, toilet, office, highway, jus the other day i was on d road wit ma ear piece lissenin to LP's Red to Black n i knelt down on d road n was playin an imaginary acoustic guitar! Well i know i'v gone bonkers for Rock but i'm more glad now knowin y'all r crayyyzay too! *no pun intended*, i lissen across all genres- hard rock, heavy, soft, punk, alternative, grunge, emo, etc n have devoted meself to exhumin all lost Rock hits, Y'all v got a nice compilation of Rock stars but i'm disappointed u left out Fuel, go lissen to Hemorrhage in my hands, plus i looove MCR, cld go on bt i'm sooo sleepy headed, peace******

I said earlier that I cant list all the bands I listen to.

Falls on me by Fuel happens to be one of my favourites.

There are so many bands out there that injustice will be done to many of them if I start listing.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by bizkit(m): 10:01pm On May 02, 2010

I'm Home!!!!

Honestly, I no think say anybody carry d rock thing 4 head reach me,

I love, eat, sleep, drink, swim, dance, live, act,, , rock
am not happy though with regards dat nobody has ever heard of my "most-favorite" rock band of all tym, ANBERLIN!
yep Anberlin!, I need me my anberlin b4 I can start any graphical design job I intend to design,
if y'all fink am joking beemp3 d ff tracks 4rm dem & decipher 4 urselfs

I even wikipedia"ied" dem and found out dey hav som xtian inclinatn
grin
A day late
Never Take Friendship Personal
Dismantle, Repair
The feel good drag
Inevitable
Paperthin Hymn
There Is No Mathematics To Love And Loss
and my best of dem has d lyrics wit a chorus dat goes, I'm the patron saints of the lost causes (still dunno d name til now) (tears actually attempt 2 roll ov my eyes weneva I hear it)!, d list sure goes on
holla me 4 more though! cool
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by rume(m): 5:31am On May 03, 2010
bizkit:

I'm Home!!!!

Honestly, I no think say anybody carry d rock thing 4 head reach me,

I love, eat, sleep, drink, swim, dance, live, act,, , rock
am not happy though with regards dat nobody has ever heard of my "most-favorite" rock band of all tym, ANBERLIN!
yep Anberlin!, I need me my anberlin b4 I can start any graphical design job I intend to design,
if y'all fink am joking beemp3 d ff tracks 4rm dem & decipher 4 urselfs

I even wikipedia"ied" dem and found out dey hav som xtian inclinatn
grin
A day late
Never Take Friendship Personal
Dismantle, Repair
The feel good drag
Inevitable
Paperthin Hymn
There Is No Mathematics To Love And Loss
and my best of dem has d lyrics wit a chorus dat goes, I'm the patron saints of the lost causes (still dunno d name til now) (tears actually attempt 2 roll ov my eyes weneva I hear it)!, d list sure goes on
holla me 4 more though! cool

Sir, get over yourself! What makes you think you're the only one who knows Anberlin? OR the most rock music bound soul here. angry tongue

Don't mind me, hehehe. I don't mean it that way but if it's a rock band that have a "christian" inclination then it's most likely I'd know them. They are or rather were on the Tooth & Nail Record label which has a lot of christian artists. I'm not a "fan" though of Anberlin.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by mostojr: 8:12pm On May 03, 2010
@Rume
I just started liking 'Hanging by a thread'. Not bad at all. But the real hit in the album should be 'Collapse'. I do try to "test the spirit behind every song". However, sometimes I just let it play as long as it is labeled gospel. Even if it's bad, it can't be as bad as some secular bands.
I no dey buy CD o! My money never reach. I went to the media shop in the palms, lekki and CDs go for like N3500! Imagine. My guy/girl for now I go just dey download for free. God understands. Lol!

Do you know about Brian 'Head' Welch? What do you think about his music and appearance?

exago:

cos  . . .  I thot guys like me might be hard to come by . .not so though

been a rock fan way back. . do Christian rock now
you left out third day and David Crowthers' my best bands so far
@Exago
Yeah I left out Third day cos I no dey too feel them. They don't dress like rockers even though they have a few good songs. David Crowder Band is definitely cool. Those bands are for the days I'm feeling spiritual. LoL!

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 03, 2010
I like switchfoot , the cardigans & counting crows.
Nowadays I like very deep lyrical content so I opt for new age & ethnic. Guys like Michael cretu ( Enigma ) , Enya and Deep forest.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Rocktation(f): 1:06am On May 04, 2010
Don't know how to go about describing and explaining my love for rock music to y'all. I'm obssessed big time with it and my name says it all. Which is not too healthy for a chick, or so my friends tell me. Y'all should catch my naija rock pals on facebook(ROCKSTREAM) sometime. Plus, naija has a marked number of bands whose names're yet to be popular but i did manage to catch one NEO name sometime back and mennn, they rock. Besides, the only kind our naija artists do for now's just alternative rock, which isn't good enough at all. Mistakenly heard someone doing indie rock sometime back but his name slipped. And i wouldn't call Djinee a rockstar. He was only pushing his luck with that 'i no de shame song'.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 1:49am On May 04, 2010
@ rock station
Djinee calls himself a rock star but i think he doesnt really know where he belongs. Anyways, i love 'i no dey shame'. I'm addicted to that song. I think he does better with alternative than the other genres he lays his hand upon.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sevule(m): 10:27am On May 04, 2010
mostojr:

@Rume
I just started liking 'Hanging by a thread'. Not bad at all. But the real hit in the album should be 'Collapse'. I do try to "test the spirit behind every song". However, sometimes I just let it play as long as it is labeled gospel. Even if it's bad, it can't be as bad as some secular bands.
I no dey buy CD o! My money never reach. I went to the media shop in the palms, lekki and CDs go for like N3500! Imagine. My guy/girl for now I go just dey download for free. God understands. Lol!

Do you know about Brian 'Head' Welch? What do you think about his music and appearance?
@Exago
Yeah I left out Third day cos I no dey too feel them. They don't dress like rockers even though they have a few good songs. David Crowder Band is definitely cool. Those bands are for the days I'm feeling spiritual. LoL!
I think Brian 'HEAD' Welch's conversion experience was a fantastic one
and you should try and read his ebook about his experiences in Korn.
His album was head banging and pretty spiritual, I particularly loved the
L.O.V.E single from his album. My only disappointment was the fact that
he released only one album. Presently trying out DemonHunter, those guyss
rock though the music gets too loud sometimes sha
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Rocktation(f): 12:21pm On May 04, 2010
@SEVULE - CDs for 3500? You must be punking me. You should have a date with Alaba Int. market. Cds go for exactly 50 bucks over there and you get discounts if you grab as many as 10 cds. The amazing thing's that you get thesame flava there is on those that go for 3500.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:04pm On May 04, 2010
[size=13pt]WE ARE ALL ROCKER. . . . YEAH , WE ROCK IT DAY N' NIGHT IN HELL BIGGEST UNDERGROUND PARTY OUT HERE IN MARSAILLES.

HEY GUYS. . . .KEEP EM ROCKING. WE'RE THE WORLD CHANGER. wink
[/size]
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by mostojr: 2:46pm On May 04, 2010
sevule:

I think Brian 'HEAD' Welch's conversion experience was a fantastic one
and you should try and read his ebook about his experiences in Korn.
His album was head banging and pretty spiritual, I particularly loved the
L.O.V.E single from his album. My only disappointment was the fact that
he released only one album. Presently trying out DemonHunter, those guyss
rock though the music gets too loud sometimes sha

Well they said Head is working on a new album. The album will drop this year.
The story of his conversion really moved me. In fact that's what got me back to spending time with God every morning before I zoom off to work. I was like if God can change someone as bad as that then he can definitely change me.

Talking about Demon Hunter, they featured a secular band called SoilWork on this their last album. Do you think that's right for a 'christian' band?

And what do you think about all them bands that water-down their lyrics? They obviously avoid using the name 'Jesus' just to sell records. 85% of the christian bands I know don't mention the name 'Jesus'.

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Rocktation(f): 1:54am On May 05, 2010
They don't use the J word all that much because most of them are actually Jews not Christians. Remember, the Jews believe in God but never in Jesus but like you said, man has got to whack sometime. So they go into hiding behind some very christian-like traditions and at the end of the day they'll end up making you think that you actually lovvve 'christian rock' music. Besides, i don't see naught wrong with demonhunter and soilwork rocking together. Even Jesus had to dine with Zaccheus to get him to change his path.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 7:22am On May 05, 2010
Please, if you have links to new rock songs or bands on tour, please post!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sevule(m): 9:55am On May 05, 2010
mostojr:

Well they said Head is working on a new album. The album will drop this year.
The story of his conversion really moved me. In fact that's what got me back to spending time with God every morning before I zoom off to work. I was like if God can change someone as bad as that then he can definitely change me.

Talking about Demon Hunter, they featured a secular band called SoilWork on this their last album. Do you think that's right for a 'christian' band?

And what do you think about all them bands that water-down their lyrics? They obviously avoid using the name 'Jesus' just to sell records. 85% of the christian bands I know don't mention the name 'Jesus'.
@mostojr Yes you are right about the watered down lyrics, but there are 2 reasons for this. 1.) To gain a wider audience 2) rock has always been about capturing the full range of human emotions and christian rock acts are no exception. They sing about our struggles as christians,love,anger,sin and a million other things to keep the music relevant. And I do not think it is wrong for a christian act to feature a secular band. There have been lots of collaborations between christian and secular bands. I mean Flyleaf even opened for Korn once(i thought that was odd).
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 12:28pm On May 07, 2010
Rocktation:

@SEVULE - CDs for 3500? You must be punking me. You should have a date with Alaba Int. market. Cds go for exactly 50 bucks over there and you get discounts if you grab as many as 10 cds. The amazing thing's that you get thesame flava there is on those that go for 3500.

rock albums in alaba market? I really doubt it. I don't usually see albums of my favorite rock band im music shops here in Nigeria, so i usually download mine from the internet.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Rocktation(f): 2:57pm On May 07, 2010
Trust me Amya, i don't joke a lot. From Alaba, i've gotten albums from Marilyn Manson, Meatloaf, Rammstein, Mercy Me, Korn, Creed, Black Sabath, Ryan Cabrera, Owl City, Daniel Powter, Radiohead, One Republic, Foo Fighters, LP, The Offspring, Michelle Branch, Matchbox 20, Scorpion and many many many more i can't finish listing today. Not to mention the great collections of mixed artists i've got. I download more than i buy actually but sometimes, i just feel good about promoting piracy.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 9:16am On May 14, 2010
guess the outage affected posts . . .
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by medjai(m): 10:00pm On May 16, 2010
Can somebody please provide a link to the following songs. I have searched everywhere possible and no results:
Angels and Airwaves: secret crowds
Linkin Park: easier to run
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by exago(m): 5:00pm On May 17, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

10 Rising Artists Music Listeners Should Keep A Tab On In 2021 / Top Radio Shows In Lagos/Nigeria? / Which Of These Current Nigerian Musicians Surprised You The Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.