Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos (34281 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida (IBB's) Message To Igbos / Regina: Canada Government sends message to Igbos living in the country / South-west Leaders Caution Igbos Over Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by ODVanguard: 9:38pm On Feb 14, 2018
deomelllo:
Your imaginary advantage must depend on the fact that Yoruba and other students will stop learning Yoruba language or completely lose their Yoruba language.

You Igbos and your upside down thinking sef..

It's called 'Akpu Logic'.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 10:53pm On Feb 14, 2018
ODVanguard:
It's called 'Akpu Logic'.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Beremx(f): 11:00pm On Feb 14, 2018
SuperS1Panther:
Sincerely I do not know why Pigidiotic Osus from the red mud land of gully erosion are wailing about a law enacted by us for us and for our land.

Mark my words, a new law is coming that will make tribal mark -- Oyo's abaja Mefa Mefa - a compulsory criterion before any Osu can enter Lagos or any part of SW and the land of Oduduwa in Kwara and Kogi.

They can only wail and whine online, Osus cannot do anything about it.

Awon om0 irankiran, awon iran jeyan yeyan -- awon Clifford orji
lol you must have the tribal marks before i have mine. grin

2 Likes

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 11:09pm On Feb 14, 2018
Stingman:
Truth is that you FEAR the Igbos..no be so?

In your heart can you swear that this Law is not meant to hurt the Igbos?

Will it hurt the northerners...the Ijaws as much...? The answer is no...

How about that little coward?

I do not understand why you are carrying this matter on your head like groundnut, akara and fried plantain! You are too busy vibrating with indignation, fear and paranoia. Take it easy, nwoke m. Kindly note:

a). The new law only applies to Lagos state-owned tertiary institutions; sad

b). These institutions are not more than 5 in number. shocked

c). There are other federal tertiary institutions existing in Lagos state, where non-Yorubas who do not have a credit pass in Yoruba language can apply to study for any course they desire. undecided There are also over 30 private universities that they can also attend nationwide, as well as a lot of other tertiary institutions in 35 other states of the federation, that can offer them admission.

d). Even Yoruba indigenes who also lack a credit pass in Yoruba, will be affected by the law, so they have the option of either applying to a federal tertiary institution, or any other institution in any of the SW states, where such laws do not exist. undecided

So why are you still lamenting, biko nu? Members of other ethnic groups that live in Lagos such as the Hausa, Edo, Ibibio, Kalabari, Efik,Itsekiri, Tiv, Nupe, Kamberi, Bura, Igala, Nupe, Idoma, etc., have not taken to the airwaves or social media to protest against the law. Only your people, have done so. Why are you so fixated on thinking that the law is solely targeted at the Igbo? I weak o! shocked

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Sanchez01: 11:50pm On Feb 14, 2018
Efewestern:

Very silly move by the state government.

I read a thread here were some lagosians were complaining about the current air pollution in the state, especially how dirty are being littered everywhere, due to the new policy of the state governor , instead of them to address this issue and other issues bothering the state the only thing they could think of is this law, what a pity.

Like we all know Lagos belongs to Yoruba, what's the essence of the law?, what are they trying to proof?.

For those using IMO and anambra law to justify this, how many non Indigene are in those state compared to lagos, infact Lagos is home to all hence laws such as this should not see the light of the day.
If you ask me, I'd say the law is needed. Beyond the 'we own 95% of Lagos' chant, we should also understand that this is a state with a history, a people and a culture, regardless of whether or not it accommodates others.

More so, the institution here is governed by the state and not the federal government. Probably there is a need to resuscitate the dying consciousness of the Yoruba attitude in many educated folks, which is true and needed, or that it is an act to curb the impunity of a certain people who believe Lagos belong to them just because her people welcomed them with open arms. And as much as we criticise Lagos for this move I'd be pleased to tell you that it is insanely found in the North and South East.

Personally, I see it as an advantage to be bilingual. Although I already am, I believe it would be an opportunity for non Lagosian to deeply root themselves in its tradition.

It is high time owners call the shot. Let them beat the drums of consciousness to the hearing of those who care to hear.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Ihatepork: 12:00am On Feb 15, 2018
Other states are free to do whatever, but when it's time for Lagos. They will tell the owners their land is cosmopolitan. Wtf! And that's what is pissing the indigenes off. Others can preserve theirs while Lagos serves as poster boy for One Nigeria.

Lagos wasn't cosmopolitan when they were rejecting special status bill. They don't remember Lagos is home to all when something bad happens. That's when they remember Lagos is yorubaland

Ordinary councillor in their states, they can't give to non-indigenes. Useless people

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Sanchez01: 12:01am On Feb 15, 2018
Afam4eva:

You have to promote your language within the framework of what is acceptable and the unique idiosyncrasies of the state. if Lagos were a country, no one would even bat an eyelid.
This mindset is so wrong and dangerous! There are reasons why Yorubas have kings all over her territory as opposed to you guys. There is a reason the Ooni has been junketeering a while now and every state owes her indigenous people the right to preservation of culture. And last I checked, it is not unconstitutional to do this.

Lagos does not need to become a country before making moves to preserve the ways of her people. If you ask me, now is the best time even. If you aren't interested in the Yoruba language, then you have no business getting education, from primary level to secondary and even tertiary (for those dreaming of getting into LASU).

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Efewestern: 12:05am On Feb 15, 2018
Sanchez01:

If you ask me, I'd say the law is needed. Beyond the 'we own 95% of Lagos' chant, we should also understand that this is a state with a history, a people and a culture, regardless of whether or not it accommodates others.

More so, the institution here is governed by the state and not the federal government. Probably there is a need to resuscitate the dying consciousness of the Yoruba attitude in many educated folks, which is true and needed, or that it is an act to curb the impunity of a certain people who believe Lagos belong to them just because her people welcomed them with open arms. And as much as we criticise Lagos for this move I'd be pleased to tell you that it is insanely found in the North and South East.

Personally, I see it as an advantage to be bilingual. Although I already am, I believe it would be an opportunity for non Lagosian to deeply root themselves in its tradition.

It is high time owners call the shot. Let them beat the drums of consciousness to the hearing of those who care to hear.

I clearly understand your point, but my issue with the law is that it was too one sided, stuffs like that should be limited to Primary and secondary, not that students even pass Yoruba without expo anyway.

I believe when making judgement we should at all time reason from different angles. I might be wrong on this, but I don't support the lagos state government on this.

What the law means, before you can school in any of our state institution, you must be able to speak and understand Yoruba, this doesn't sound well for me.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Danladi7: 12:08am On Feb 15, 2018
Samleen:
The OP is one of the intelligent Igbos we have here in Nigeria. I love this writeups!

If you don't know how to promote your own cultural heritage, why teach and fight others for doing otherwise?

The Igbos should rise up to this challenge and begin to value and exalt what's theirs. Make the south east state better than what we have in Lagos.
As in!

Amarabae is so intelligent and objective and I respect her .

she is my nairaland crush,sincerely speaking.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by melodyogonna(m): 12:12am On Feb 15, 2018
The worst is that kids are being forced to speak English against Igbo in primary and secondary schools, sometimes they are flogged sef. Imagine beating my child for showing his identity? Na die u dey oo, Britain dey try speak Igbo?

2 Likes

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 12:13am On Feb 15, 2018
Danladi7:

As in!

Amarabae is so intelligent and objective and I respect her .

she is my nairaland crush,sincerely speaking.

pig go and crush on yor tiger face afonja women.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 12:13am On Feb 15, 2018
THE AVERAGE YORUBA WITH INFERIORITY COMPLEX QUICKLY DEVELOP FEELING WEN HE HEARS IGBO GIRL.

SICK TRIBALIST PERVERT!
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 12:15am On Feb 15, 2018
DANLADI7!

SAY THE WORD,...

U ARE A YORUBA MAN THAT THINKS THE IGBO ARE BETTER THAN HIM AND WILL SPEND UR ENTIRE LIFE WATCHING AND ENVYING AND TRYING TO BE IGBO.

IT SUCKS TO BE U.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Sanchez01: 12:23am On Feb 15, 2018
Efewestern:

I clearly understand your point, but my issue with the law is that it was too one sided, stuffs like that should be limited to Primary and secondary, not that students even pass Yoruba without expo anyway.

I believe when making judgement we should at all time reason from different angles. I might be wrong on this, but I don't support the lagos state government on this.

What the law means, before you can school in any of our state institution, you must be able to speak and understand Yoruba, this doesn't sound well for me.
Maybe because I was born in Lagos or that I did excellently well with my Yoruba classes as a student but the truth remains that Lagos representatives have rights to make certain moves to preserve and grow their culture and their language.

If you have ever witnessed non Yorubas who don't even understand the language fight for positions in Lagos, you'd be irritated. A certain Igbo politician in 2015 contested for the governorship of Lagos and he claimed he is contesting because he understands the Yoruba way of life and their culture. All these he said in English. When a caller called Channels TV to ask him questions, he was asked to interpret 'Lagosians, I greet you, I need your votes' and that was where trouble started.

An average Lagosian communicates with Pidgin while the typical Igbo language is used in Enugu, not minding whether you are Igbo or not. Based on my encounter, I am not motivated to learn the Igbo language largely because L1 speakers believe I must learn their language because I am in their land.

You cannot get a civil servant job if you aren't Igbo or even from Enugu here. My point is, we are fast getting to the point where every man would answer his father's name. It would have been a different ball game if this move was initiated in Delta State, owing to the fact that we have several ethnic groups.

It is now a case of 'get of of the kitchen if you cannot stand the heat'. Lagos was far more developed than any region before Independence and Yoruba was widely spoken then. I am not sure it would change now that the Yoruba language is now mandatory.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Nobody: 12:44am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:
DANLADI7!

SAY THE WORD,...

U ARE A YORUBA MAN THAT THINKS THE IGBO ARE BETTER THAN HIM AND WILL SPEND UR ENTIRE LIFE WATCHING AND ENVYING AND TRYING TO BE IGBO.

IT SUCKS TO BE U.
the saga of no-mans-land continues cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 12:47am On Feb 15, 2018
imhotep:

the saga of no-mans-land continues cheesy

THEY ARE LIKE DEMENTED PSYCHO, THAT ATTAIN SANITY WEN THEY POLLUTE THE IGBOS WITH THEIR DISEASE.

Y IGBOS DONT GO ROUND PROFESSING LOVE TO YORUBAS AS SUCH.

TAKE BBN, THERE ARE ABOUT 3 YORUBA GIRLS THERE, Y HAVE NO OTHER TRIBE OBSESS OVER THEM?

WITH YORUBA IT IS ALWAYS IGBO DIS, IGBO DAT, THEY ARE SHAMELESS.

DAT POOR GIRL CEEC AFTER SO MUCH PRESSURE EVEN FROM BIGGIE, HAD TO HIDE IN CABINET TO GIVE DEM A KISS SO THEY CAN LEAVE HER ALONE.

IMAGINE LOLU STANDING TO MAKE SURE SHE KISS TOBI.

EVEN DURING THE KISS, U CAN SEE HER PULLING AWAY.

YORUBA HAVE NO SHAME! SHAMELESS THINGS!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by robotix: 12:53am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:
Lagos loss will be SS/SE gain.

For long people in these region have suffered, died and payed the ultimate price which Yoruba gained.

We travel for hours to invest and contribute to lagos economy, many die on the way.

Our resources stationed there.

Becos of them, we dont have seaport, airport.

Today the yorubas have shot themselves in the foot and people like me will take dem to the cleaners using this excuse.

Imagine a deep sea port in delta state, Rivers and AkwaIbom.

Imagine these three states having their oil company stationed there.

I think, many of the militant ill disappear and economic boom will blosom.

Empty talks without wisdom

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 12:54am On Feb 15, 2018
[s]
robotix:

Empty talks without wisdom
[/s]

IF SO, Y THE QUOTE?

DID I PUT IT ON TOP UR HEAD?
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

THEY ARE LIKE DEMENTED PSYCHO, THAT ATTAIN SANITY WEN THEY POLLUTE THE IGBOS WITH THEIR DISEASE.

Y IGBOS DONT GO ROUND PROFESSING LOVE TO YORUBAS AS SUCH.

TAKE BBN, THERE ARE ABOUT 3 YORUBA GIRLS THERE, Y HAVE NO OTHER TRIBE OBSESS OVER THEM?

WITH YORUBA IT IS ALWAYS IGBO DIS, IGBO DAT, THEY ARE SHAMELESS.

DAT POOR GIRL CEEC AFTER SO MUCH PRESSURE EVEN FROM BIGGIE, HAD TO HIDE IN CABINET TO GIVE DEM A KISS SO THEY CAN LEAVE HER ALONE.

IMAGINE LOLU STANDING TO MAKE SURE SHE KISS TOBI.

EVEN DURING THE KISS, U CAN SEE HER PULLING AWAY.

YORUBA HAVE NO SHAME! SHAMELESS THINGS!
even the so-called Yoruba language law is about Igbo-phobia.

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 12:57am On Feb 15, 2018
imhotep:

even the so-called Yoruba language law is about Igbo-phobia.

WAT ELSE.

OYA IGBO WILL LEAVE TO BIAFRA SO U CAN HAVE YORUBA COUNTRY, THEY WIL GO AND CARRY HAUSA TO ATTACK AND STOP IGBOS.

HAUSA ARE PREPARED BECOS OF THEIR RELIGION FOR A SPLIT THE YORUBAS ARE NOT.

IF TIME IS NOT TAKEN, WE MAY HAVE TO NUKE WEAPON ON LAGOS.

THEY WILL BEG US TO GO.

MAYBE WE HAVE TO LEVEL LAGOS FIRST AND RETURN IT TO ITS NATURAL STATE.

EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE THEY LOOTED SS/SE WEALTH TO PUT CEMENT AND BLOCK TOGETHER.

LAGOS APPEARS TO BE Y YORUBA IS HOLDING US.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Nobody: 1:02am On Feb 15, 2018
letusbepieces:

OYA IGBO WILL LEAVE TO BIAFRA SO U CAN HAVE YORUBA COUNTRY, THEY WIL GO AND CARRY HAUSA TO ATTACK AND STOP IGBOS.
"One Nigeria" is a concept that confuses the Yoruba brain seriously
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by letusbepieces: 1:05am On Feb 15, 2018
imhotep:

"One Nigeria" is a concept that confuses the Yoruba brain seriously

THE YORUBAS ARE NOT CONFUSED.

THEY ARE EVIL.

DID U SEE THE WAY THEY HATED GEJ JUST BECOS OF THAT SMALL AIRPORT IN ENUGU?

Y HAVE THE ENTIRE SS NOT BOASTING OF DEEP SEAPORT?

TO GO ABROAD, WE MUST TRAVEL TO LAGOS FIRST.

TO TRADE, WE MUST GO TO THE DEEP SEAPORT IN LAGOS FIRST.

THESE PEOPLE ARE EVIL AND TIME IS FAST RUNNING OUT FOR THEM.

A NEW GENERATION WILL SOON BE ON THE SCENE, OBJ AND CO WILL BE GONE.

THEN THEY WILL KNOW WAT THEY HAVE DONE TO THEMSELVES WEN TECHNOLOGY STARTS FLYING IN THERE DIRECTION AND WE HAVE TO BURN NIGERIA DOWN.

THIS DANGEROUS GAME WILL SOON COME TO A HEAD ON COLLISION, THAT IS THE CLIMAX AND WHERE ALL THIS IS HEADING.

NIGERIA AS ONE COUNTRY IS NOT FEASIBLE.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 1:18am On Feb 15, 2018
Efewestern:

Efewestern:

Another example is Lagos state, forget all those rubish you read online, Lagos is a big slum, even with all her potentials what have they done with it?, instead we have the likes of tinubu ruling the state indirectly.

Efewestern:

hmmm..

Do not moved by what you see online, Ogun is no better than any other state in Nigeria, all na parkaging .

Even Lagos na still overhype, like the way I they hype waffi most times

Fact is, you have zero credibility here and your misguided argument is based on your hate, dislike and anti Lagos sentiments.

You think Lagos is a slum, Lagos is over-hyped and even though the topic of discussion in this thread is the new Yoruba Language law, but your first post in this thread was irrelevant and off topic rubbish about dirty Lagos.

Besides, of what relevance is your meaningless argument? The people of Lagos via their elected representatives charged to make decisions for the people of Lagos state made the right call, it doesn't have to be right in the eyes of Lagos hating people like you, but it's the right call in the eyes of the people of Lagos and the Lagos electorates.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by cheruv: 6:58am On Feb 15, 2018
gidgiddy:

Stop this nonsense, Igbos are not ethnic champions, we are too egalitarian and Republican for that. The Biafra you are talking about has never been just about Igbos, the last President of Biafra, General Philip Effiong, was not an Igbo man. So where is this 'begging Ijaws and Ogonis' who were historically part of the Eastern Region and Biafra, coming from?

How many times have you talked about the Benue Igbos? Over one million Igbos and their ancestral lands carved into Benue.

Fo you talk sbout Igbnke? Six communities of Ika- Igbo speaking people carved into Edo. How do you divorce the Anioma nation from their Itsekiri and Urhobo nation in Delta state.

There is nothing wrong in being proud of being Igbo but know where to draw the line between being an Igbo ethnic jingoist and supremacist.
She's absolutely right
It's better in Nigeria to be an ethnic Igbo jingoist than to be a nationalist. It's your types that'd cause the fall of Igbo land angry
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Partnerbiz(f): 7:53am On Feb 15, 2018
Efewestern:

Very silly move by the state government.

I read a thread here were some lagosians were complaining about the current air pollution in the state, especially how dirty are being littered everywhere, due to the new policy of the state governor , instead of them to address this issue and other issues bothering the state the only thing they could think of is this law, what a pity.

Like we all know Lagos belongs to Yoruba, what's the essence of the law?, what are they trying to proof?.

For those using IMO and anambra law to justify this, how many non Indigene are in those state compared to lagos, infact Lagos is home to all hence laws such as this should not see the light of the day.

No such law in Anambra and Imo.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by gidgiddy: 8:31am On Feb 15, 2018
cheruv:

She's absolutely right
It's better in Nigeria to be an ethnic Igbo jingoist than to be a nationalist. It's your types that'd cause the fall of Igbo land angry

Igbo land has already fallen as long as it remains part of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Partnerbiz(f): 8:36am On Feb 15, 2018
cKaiser:

What is funnier is your poor attempt to justify your illogical tribal agenda
According to the constitution of the FGN we are a federal state where every state has the right to pass laws that suit them. Zamfara passed Shariah almost 20yrs ago and its still in effect till today,

Imo and Anambra passed language laws and no one held them to it, Kogi, benue etc passed grazing laws that are unique to their states, So why cant Lagos pass laws in the democratic settings according to the wishes of the lawmakers?

Language laws requiring Igbo language as criteria before admission?
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Partnerbiz(f): 8:38am On Feb 15, 2018
Ihatepork:
Why are these ones writing silly epistles about a bill that has already been passed. One daft mumu is even talking about marriage to potorpotor women lol. They always react without sense grin cheesy

And for those praising the OP that she's this and that. I hope you'll use the same mouth to praise her when she spews her regular nonsense

She's just as foolish as the rest of them. Don't be deceived. I don't know why some of you get easily carried away

So a bill passed is now sacrosanct and cannot be declared void?
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 8:55am On Feb 15, 2018
Partnerbiz:

So a bill passed is now sacrosanct and cannot be declared void?

Declared void based on what and by who?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Partnerbiz(f): 9:15am On Feb 15, 2018
deomelllo:

Declared void based on what and by who?

You said they were ranting in vain since the bill had already been passed into law.
And I inquired if passage of passage of the same was sacrosanct and devoid of any remedy?

So it cannot be declared null and void by the courts?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Buhari's New ADC, Dodo Resumes Duties (Photo) / GEJ Should Be Impeached - LA Times Joel Brinkley / Zulum Meets Families Of Slain Officers, Visits The Injured In Hospital (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.