Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos (34275 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida (IBB's) Message To Igbos / Regina: Canada Government sends message to Igbos living in the country / South-west Leaders Caution Igbos Over Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 7:35pm On Feb 15, 2018
USAbabe:
My question is why didn't they introduce this law to other yoruba state where yorubas are majority? y lagos:?

Lagos state was former capital territory and every Nigeria worked for the development of the state

why must is be lagos? unless they have other intention

And why can't it be Lagos? Lagos is a state located in the Southwestern part of Nigeria, and its' indigenous language is Yoruba. undecided Who says other states in the same axis are not contemplating the same kind of move? Nothing stops them from copying Lagos state, and its' language law.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by USAbabe(f): 7:36pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

This your statement sounds hypocritical. So other states can implement a language law, but Lagos state cannot?

i am not saying they should not promote their language but it shouldn't be compulsory for other trbes

Every Nigerian worked hard to make Lagos state what it is today, but when yorubas starts making it as if it all theres, i think is high time NIGER dELTA start clamming full ownership of their oil
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 7:42pm On Feb 15, 2018
USAbabe:
i am not saying they should not promote their language but it shouldn't be compulsory for other trbes

Every Nigerian worked hard to make Lagos state what it is today, but when yorubas starts making it as if it all theres, i think is high time NIGER dELTA start clamming full ownership of their oil

Have you read the law at all? The law only makes it compulsory to acquire a credit pass in Yoruba language, in order to gain admission into Lagos state-owned tertiary institutions that are not more than 5 in number. After gaining admission, it would no longer be required.

The same law does not apply to federal universities or tertiary institutions within the same Lagos state, neither does it apply to any of the over 30 private universities nationwide, or any of the higher educational establishments, in 35 other states of the federation. undecided Various alternatives exist. So what is the fuss? The law even goes against any Yoruba person, who does not have a credit pass in Yoruba language. He or she will not get admitted into a state-owned institution in Lagos.

10 Likes

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by USAbabe(f): 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Have you read the law at all? The law only makes it compulsory to acquire a credit pass in Yoruba language, in order to gain admission into Lagos state-owned tertiary institutions that are not more than 5 in number. After gaining admission, it would no longer be required.

The same law does not apply to federal universities or tertiary institutions within the same Lagos state, neither does it apply to any of the over 30 private universities nationwide, or any of the higher educational establishments, in 35 other states of the federation. undecided Various alternatives exist. So what is the fuss?

U think is all dat ? tomorow they will still come up with another law maybe this time it will be if cant speak yoruba no work for u.

i get it

i think is time for other tribe to follow this step there everybody will mind his or her business

Niger delta should take full ownership of there oil now . what is good for tom is good for dick
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by USAbabe(f): 7:46pm On Feb 15, 2018
I am done with one Nigeria
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 7:48pm On Feb 15, 2018
USAbabe:

Yoruba always starts tribalism in Nigeria but later turn round to pretend it is not dem .

Just imagine forcing Yoruba on non yoruba children like an islamist extremeist forcing islam on non muslim.

Jehovah!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 7:49pm On Feb 15, 2018
USAbabe:
U think is all dat ? tomorow they will still come up with another law maybe this time it will be if cant speak yoruba no work for u.

i get it

i think is time for other tribe to follow this step there everybody will mind his or her business

Niger delta should take full ownership of there oil now . what is good for tom is good for dick

You are such an alarmist, with a vivid imagination. (sigh!) Read through this entire thread from beginning to end, and you will see why your fears cannot happen...

5 Likes

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 7:51pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

You are such an alarmist, with a vivid imagination. (sigh!) Read through this entire thread from beginning to end, and you will see why your fears cannot happen...

My brother, we still have wrong and right, bad and good in this world even if Africans have chosen to live in darkness.

Wat is the purpose of indoctrinating non yoruba people children with yoruba?

Is yoruba the official language of Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by USAbabe(f): 7:51pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

I AM done with u bye
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 7:53pm On Feb 15, 2018
The law will be good for Yoruba people only.

Let Yorubas get credit before they can go to University.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 7:53pm On Feb 15, 2018
hammer6F:
Yoruba always starts tribalism in Nigeria but later turn round to pretend it is not dem .

Just imagine forcing Yoruba on non yoruba children like an islamist extremeist forcing islam on non muslim.

Jehovah!
hammer6F:
My brother, we still have wrong and right, bad and good in this world even if Africans have chosen to live in darkness.

Wat is the purpose of indoctrinating non yoruba people children with yoruba?

Is yoruba the official language of Nigeria?

See this one! shocked When Anambra and Imo were making Igbo language compulsory for primary and secondary schools, to the extent that if any student failed Igbo, he was denied promotion to the next class, where were you? It wasn't tribalistic then, ba?

When the same Anambra govt made Igbo a mandatory part of a compulsory General Studies course in its state-owned tertiary institutions at 100-level, it was not tribalistic, right? Now Lagos is doing its own, you are shouting tribalism. Just negodu! angry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by DerideGull(m): 7:54pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

You conveniently ignored the fact that Igbo is a compulsory part of mandatory courses like General Studies, in state-owned tertiary institutions in Anambra and Imo. You also ignored the fact that Igbo is compulsory in all state-owned primary and secondary schools within Anambra as well as Imo, and students will not be promoted to the next class if they fail Igbo, no matter how high their scores are, in English, Maths, Physics, Biology and other core subjects. undecided

If Lagos state has decided to make a credit pass in Yoruba language part of its admission criteria into tertiary institutions, why don't you opt for a federal institution, where the law does not apply? Why are you wailing over this issue when alternatives exist nationwide? shocked

There is absolutely nothing unconstitutional about the law. sad The Lagos State House of Assembly is simply trying to preserve the cultural heritage of the state, and its indigenous language. You did not wail about "unconstitutionality" or rant about "tribalism", when Anambra made Igbo, a mandatory part of General Studies courses for all undergraduates within its' state-owned tertiary institutions, did you?

Absolute falsehood. Igbo language is not compulsory to non-Igbo students and certainly not a prerequisite for gaining admission into state-owned tertiary institutions in Igbo land or any state. Yari.ba is not official language of Nigeria and can never become a compulsory curriculum or prerequisite subject of admission. Yari.ba people are known for tribal advocacy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 7:56pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

See this one! shocked When Anambra and Imo were making Igbo language compulsory for primary and secondary schools, to the extent that if any student failed Igbo, he was denied promotion to the next class, where were you? It wasn't tribalistic then, ba?

When the same Anambra govt made Igbo a mandatory part of a compulsory General Studies course in its state-owned tertiary institutions at 100-level, it was not tribalistic, right? Now Lagos is doing its own, you are shouting tribalism. Just negodu! angry

People dat went to the dirty university are suffering in Libya and dieing in the sea to get to Europe.

Let me tell u, this law will create more problems for Lagos state.

How many people that even live in Lagos state go to university in Lagos?

Wat if other states start discriminating on university admission based on tribe?

My brother, learn to condemn wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by USAbabe(f): 7:58pm On Feb 15, 2018
DerideGull:

Absolute falsehood. Igbo language is not compulsory to non-Igbo students and certainly not a prerequisite for gaining admission into state-owned tertiary institutions in Igbo land or any state. Yari.ba is not official language of Nigeria can never be a compulsory curriculum or prerequisite subject of admission. Yari.ba people are known for tribal advocacy.

lol u dey mind them.. they are looking for where to fall back on so that they carry out their tribalism

y must it be lagos ? and y is other state in south west not agitating for that
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 7:58pm On Feb 15, 2018
So many people from Lagos go to University like Uniben, Delta State University, Anambra State University.

Do u know how many Northerners and Yorubas are enjoying free education in Imo State University under Okorocha?

Wat if all of them say we want only Urhobo, Igbo, Bini, Ijaw.

Wat type of country are we living in? Wat is all this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 8:00pm On Feb 15, 2018
Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act.Tamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning ActTamil Nadu is a state in India.Tamil language learning Act

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 8:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
Efewestern:

Laws made in Lagos state will somehow affect someone from another state, Especially regarding this Bill .

Stop making upside down and irrelevant arguments, the law was made and designed for the people of Lagos state, not for people in or from other states.

Let's assume 70% of non yoruba don't have a pass in Yoruba and hence can't seek admission into any of the state uni, they will be forced to go to their state to seek for admission, on getting there they will still end up competing with the students from other states , It actually means that you can't school in my state until you understand my language, but I can school in your state.

You are entitled to your own assumptions, but I don't argue assumptions.

The law was created for the people of Lagos state so if you have to leave Lagos state to go to your state because of the Law, it means you are not from Lagos state.

Again, stop making upside down and irrelevant arguments, the law was made and designed for the people of Lagos state, not for people in or from other states.

FG encouraged promotion of our local language, but not to use it as a criteria for admission.

FG recommended what Lagos state did with their Language law and on top of that, LASG is free to make laws that are confined to Lagos state, to LASG funded institutions and schools. The law was not made to cover jurisdictions outside the state or to also cover FG institutions within Lagos state.

LASG is in charge of LASG funded learning institutions within Lagos state and if you don't like the law and still wich to attend tertiary institutions in Lagos state, UNILAG is available.

Should every state follow this trend, I hope you know the implications.

That's their problem.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 8:01pm On Feb 15, 2018
hammer6F:
People dat went to the dirty university are suffering in Libya and dieing in the sea to get to Europe.

Let me tell u, this law will create more problems for Lagos state.

How many people that even leave in Lagos state go to university in Lagos?

Wat if other states start discriminating on university admission?

My brother, learn to condemn wrong.

Listen, I have condemned several laws in the past, because I do not believe in them. sad But this particular language law, I will never condemn it. I am not from the Southwest, but I schooled in the SW, for several years. I was made to undertake Yoruba language classes in secondary school, and I had fun doing so. Even though till today, I can barely speak the language, but I still believe every state has the prerogative to enact laws to preserve its' cultural heritage, and indigenous language. undecided

When Anambra made its own law concerning studying Igbo language even at undergraduate level, did you condemn it? It was not wrong in your eyes, not so?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 8:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Listen, I have condemned several laws in the past, because I do not believe in them. sad But this particular language law, I will never condemn it. I am not from the Southwest, but I schooled in the SW, for several years. I was made to undertake Yoruba language classes in secondary school, and I had fun doing so. Even though till today, I can barely speak the language, but I still believe every state has the prerogative to enact laws to preserve its' cultural heritage, and indigenous language. undecided

When Anambra made its own law concerning studying Igbo language even at undergraduate level, did you condemn it? It was not wrong in your eyes, not so?

Answer this question can Lagos state host all the student in their state university?

Do u know Lagos is the most populous State in Nigeria.

Several of their students are hosted in University across the country from Port Harcourt to Enugu, Borno, Kano, Edo Delta.

Wat if all the states follow Lagos example?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 8:04pm On Feb 15, 2018
USAbabe:

y must it be lagos ?

Objectiion overruled.
The law stays.

So ki lo n sele?
Bawo ni?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 8:05pm On Feb 15, 2018
omonnakoda:

Objectiion overruled.
The law stays.

fixed! respect urself!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 8:05pm On Feb 15, 2018
DerideGull:
Absolute falsehood. Igbo language is not compulsory to non-Igbo students and certainly not a prerequisite for gaining admission into state-owned tertiary institutions in Igbo land or any state. Yari.ba is not official language of Nigeria and can never become a compulsory curriculum or prerequisite subject of admission. Yari.ba people are known for tribal advocacy.

Stop telling lies. shocked Igbo language is compulsory for all primary and secondary school students in Anambra and Imo, and if they fail Igbo they are denied promotion. It does not matter where those students come from.

Yes, it is not a criteria for admission into a university in Anambra, but Igbo is still a mandatory part of General Studies courses, which are compulsory in the state owned institutions in Anambra. Do not say what you do not know! sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by USAbabe(f): 8:06pm On Feb 15, 2018
life is a teacher
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 8:07pm On Feb 15, 2018
hammer6F:

Answer this question can Lagos state host all the student in their state university?

Several of their students are hosted in University across the country from Port Harcourt to Enugu, Borno, Kano, Edo Delta.

Very untrue most populous yes but they are not indigenes.
I don't know where you get your facts but most people in LASU are not Lagosians

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by deomelllo: 8:07pm On Feb 15, 2018
hammer6F:

LASG or any state government should never make or don't make laws based on what other states do.

If they feel like passing similar laws, that's their headache.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 8:08pm On Feb 15, 2018
hammer6F:

fixed! respect urself!
Dake enu buruku

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 8:09pm On Feb 15, 2018
omonnakoda:

Very untrue most populous yes but they are not indigenes.
I don't know where you get your facts but most people in LASU are not Lagosians

Indigenes?

Is everybody in LASU now suppose to be Yoruba?

Try hard to fight that African backwardness.

Try Bro!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by LaudableXX: 8:09pm On Feb 15, 2018
hammer6F:

No problem. undecided It will only make Lagos state students in those institutions, bilingual. They will have the added advantage of studying a second language...which would be useful to them, in future. Afterall, Nigerian students go abroad to study in France, Germany, Russia, Hungary and Sweden, and they first have to learn the language of their host country, when they arrive there before they embark on their studies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by DerideGull(m): 8:09pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Stop telling lies. shocked Igbo language is compulsory for all primary and secondary school students in Anambra and Imo, and if they fail Igbo they are denied promotion. It does not matter where those students come from.

Yes, it is not a criteria for admission into a university in Anambra, but Igbo is still a mandatory part of General Studies courses, which are compulsory in the state owned institutions in Anambra. Do not say what you do not know! sad

As a Yari.ba peep, do you have a ward in the schools in Anambra or Imo State? It is complete idiocy to require a kid who has never heard of Igbo langauge talk less speak it to take and pass Igbo language as a subject.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by omonnakoda: 8:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
If other states follow suit it would be great. In 30 years time a typical Nigerian would speak 3 or more Nig erian languages.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by hammer6F: 8:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

No problem. undecided It will only make Lagos state students in those institutions, bilingual. They will have he added advantage of studying a second language...which would be useful to them, in future. Afterall, Nigerian students go abroad to study in France, Germany, Russia, Hungary and Sweden, and they first have to learn the language of their host country, when they arrive there before they embark on their studies.

U are not making sense.

There are no host in their own country.

In Nigeria, Nigeria is their host.

They are Nigerians until they get a separate country, which u yorubas have vocally objected to.
Re: My Message To Igbos Over The New Language Law In Lagos by Partnerbiz(f): 8:10pm On Feb 15, 2018
LaudableXX:

Are you talking about the same Nnamdi Azikiwe University which came into being, as an offshoot of the defunct Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH)?

It was later taken over by the Federal Government by Decree No. 34 of July 15, 1992.

You are just bereft of ratiocination.

Is the question how the school came about or it's status currently?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Senator Obinna Ogba Accuses Abdullahi Adamu Of Plot To Remove Saraki / Gunshots As ISWAP Fighters Ambush Soldiers On Mission To Secure Politicians / I And Others Brought Buhari To Salvage Nigeria- Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.