Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,670 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Can A Relationship Survive A Break? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can A Relationship Survive A Break? (11599 Views)

10 Tips To Survive A Break-up[My sister survived it] / Let’s Discuss: Can A Relationship Survive Without Sex? / Can A Relationship Survive Without S3X?.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by gem87(f): 6:06am On Mar 07, 2007
After going out with someone for 3 and a half years, I decided we should take a break,
see other people, grow apart for sometime, the thing is there's not timeframe fixed and it's all my idea.
He isn't happy about it and we promiseed to stay in touch and remain friends the whole time.

I need your sincere opinions, is this a mistake or just stupid to be considered in the 1st place
we definitely wanna stay together, but for some reason I thought a break would do us good.
try not to be too harsh please, thanx.

1 Like

Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by acidrop(f): 6:08am On Mar 07, 2007
have u seen this movie ALONG CAME POLLY, ok that one wasent just a break, it was more like a few hrs outing, u might wanna reconsider
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by gem87(f): 6:11am On Mar 07, 2007
I haven't seen the movie, can u pls elaborate, thnx.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by acidrop(f): 6:17am On Mar 07, 2007
well this dude, got married 2 this chick, and they were like happy couples maybe on the dude's aspect, so when they went on their honeymoon, this muscular and absilicious dude offers them a boat ride, but the dude was like nahh, but suggest that his wife goes, which she did, and he went back to their hotel, cheez i fanatisize about that hotel, u need 2 c the view, nwaiz, went back, 2 prepare dinnere, decorate the whole house, put roses on the floor and bed, and did all that shit, but it was getting late and the wife did not return he decided 2 go look 4 them, only 2 discover some screaming and mourning from the back of the ship, his dearly weded wife was been bleeped lemme say screw by the other dude, and she was like i want a divorce,

go get the movie its good 4 this ur condition
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Seun(m): 6:44am On Mar 07, 2007
Can a relationship survive a break? Yes, it can, if you don't mind the thought of him sleeping with other girls.
And if he doesn't mind the thought of you sleeping with other men. What's the purpose of the break, anyway?
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by ima1(f): 7:39am On Mar 07, 2007
i think its a stupid idea, you break up if you no longer want to be with each other, and move on. ok lets see, you both take a break and he finds someone else or sleep with someone else whose fault will that be, i dunno why people who love each other come up with stupid ideas about seeing other people, if you are tired of the relationship break up for crying out loud.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Seun(m): 7:52am On Mar 07, 2007
And if you must break up, break up amicably. Otherwise, the time spent together would have been a waste.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by t0kunb0(m): 8:04am On Mar 07, 2007
babe, dont try it cos u/him mite get fond of d new person ur sharin d break wit

so wat happens 2 all involvd afta d break is over undecided undecided undecided, y'all stop seein d "breakers" & pretend it all never happend?? shocked shocked shocked

sort urslf out wit ur guy, kiss kiss kiss
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by ugodaniel(m): 8:32am On Mar 07, 2007
Once you start thinking about a break in a relationship, then know its time to pack your baggage and roll out and on.

You can't have your cake and eat it! undecided
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by nkc(m): 8:39am On Mar 07, 2007
pls dont break up ,except u wanna break away from him, it's that simple
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by whiteNkem(f): 10:09am On Mar 07, 2007
If you really love him, you wouldn't have considered a break up in the first place. The answer is only within you.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by jgirl3: 10:27am On Mar 07, 2007
Where you getting tired of just being with him or what? 3 and a half yrs is kinda long. Where do you see both of you in the next couple of years? If you absolutely love this guy - break is not a good decision at all. Except you want to break up with him in a nice way then tell him you want a break.
Girl - i hope you know the risk you're taking because the moment one of you find someone that you think is better, there is a lil' if not no chance of actually coming back together.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by ronnieslimz(f): 12:35pm On Mar 07, 2007
ughn. . kinda hard
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by sketch18(m): 1:17pm On Mar 07, 2007
Can A Relationship Survive A Break?

Well on a real it depends on the status  of the relationship? you really need to DEFINE your MAIN REASONS FOR DOING it,  whats your intention and what do you want from the gain from it Because i dont really think you would gain much if you say its alright to go and see other people,  his a man and he is just gonna take it that your not serious,  he may take it that your just bored of him and the relationship?
i feel he needs real definition, cause as much as your feeling are on the line, his is tooo and you as a woman of mural and principle need to address that its takes 2 in a relationship, because he may see it that in a NICER WAY (WHICH WOMAN R GOOD AT) your telling him its over, and will you really be able to handle it if he was seein someone else?

please dont qoute because every relationship is different ,

holla back at me wid ya comments on this ,
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by eniola1310(f): 3:33pm On Mar 07, 2007
white`Nkem:

If you really love him, you wouldn't have considered a break up in the first place. The answer is only within you.

there are times that it's really not that u dont like the guy. u just need some breathing space to clear ur head and think abt things. assure urself that u are making the right choice.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by ima1(f): 4:02pm On Mar 07, 2007
eniola1310:

there are times that it's really not that u don't like the guy. u just need some breathing space to clear your head and think about things. assure yourself that u are making the right choice.

then tell him you need space and not that you both need to see other people
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Blow(m): 4:14pm On Mar 07, 2007
we should take a break,
see other people

For what? To taste new apples?

Come off it, I think it was a mistake
to suggest this kind of break.

It shows some lack of commitment
to the relationship on your part.
Just go back to him and apologise
if you still love him.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by ima1(f): 4:19pm On Mar 07, 2007
oh and when he sleeps with someone else and you guys get back together, if he tells you what he did you are gonna end up holding it over his head like it was his fault.

what i don't get is that people want love and when they find it they come up with idiotic ideas to push it away.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Tobiegal(f): 4:57pm On Mar 07, 2007
Galfriend, why want a break if u love d guy?

No need 2 get a break if al you want is some space to clear ur head, n dere are many ways of doing so within the relationship,

3yrs aint no joke, u beta get ur tots straight! wink
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by cuteass1(f): 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2007
A break my dear can lead to two things, either you guys find out you can't do without each other and no other person is capable of feeling the space in your heart

OR
you guys end up either falling in love with other people, but there is still one thing that can happen and that's the worst one, . . . . . . . . . one of you falls in love with someone else while the other still wants to continue with the relationship. . . . . . . . that's a bad one ooo and remember at the time there'll be no going back cos the deed is already done and our feelings cannot be contolled.

What if he's the one that falls in love with someone else and you still wAnt him back only to discover its too late. . . . . . . .my dear, i assure you, you'll curse the day you made that decision

ima1:

then tell him you need space and not that you both need to see other people

my sister is right, , , , , asking for space is a better choice of word, be careful,lest you loose what you have wink
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by shescute4(f): 10:37pm On Mar 07, 2007
i can authentically say that taking a break will be a very big mistake,mind u i'm speaking from experience.u see i had dated this guy 4 about 3years, then he had to move to another state cause of his job and i was in school. the relationship experienced what normal long distance relationships suffer.so, on one of my visits he suggested we take a break (u know still be friends but test the waters).i agreed and have since paid dearly cause he was my love  sad. .anyway,while testing the waters,he got some girl pregnant  embarassed and married her cause he was pressured to lipsrsealed
its 2years,it still hurts and hard for me love someone else. so i'ld lend u some advice,if u love him/her,stick with him and say no to test transmission  wink wink wink
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by sweetilomo(f): 10:51pm On Mar 07, 2007
i made the mistake.yhough i didnt tell my bf i wanted a break.i told him i was tired of d relationship.now i want us back but he isnt interested anymore.cos,i believe he found better love some where or he just eventually got tired of the relationship.exploring isnt too good for a smooth relationship.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by jediknight(m): 11:19pm On Mar 07, 2007
All i gotta say is "Don't Rock the Boat"
smiley
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by babadee(m): 11:37pm On Mar 07, 2007
karma!!!
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Nobody: 1:50am On Mar 08, 2007
Taking a break - an euphemism for "i want to break up but i dont have the courage to say so".

Tell him you want out! It wont take you to move a mountain neither will he suffer a heart attack. There are many fishes in the river afterall.
You must have seen other people and u're bored with the relationship so u're looking for a legitimate outlet to go frolick around.
If i were in his shoes, i'd never take you back. Once we "take a break", that is the end.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by finemocha(f): 2:26am On Mar 08, 2007
gem gurll

no matter how far apart or how many breaks u and ur boyfriend want to take, as long as u two love it each other it will survivee.
now of course we arent americans and dont leave in a fantasy land, and im sur eu know that there are many nigerians who love someone else and end up marrying someone who they dont love as much due to the other person not being ready for something more serious. well i personally would advice u not to do it, it sounds like u really love this guy and and he does love u too. I know u are probably thinkin hmm, im in a new country new bobos let me try, nne biko, they are all the same, let nature take its course and give hinm a call, the only thing i worry is that u migh thave instilled some doubt in him with a suggestion like lets take a break " so sweetheart take a cue from Ross in the show Friends" Taking a break sometimes is not the smartest idea. gurl i wish u the best of luck ok, peace
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:31am On Mar 08, 2007
some relationship can survive a break but not if they want to

see other people, grow apart for sometime, the thing is there's not timeframe fixed and it's all my idea.

Why dont you hang with your friends a bit more, go sky diving, have girls night out do girly things mak sure you stay away from other guys
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by acidrop(f): 2:48am On Mar 08, 2007
cant do that sorry undecided on the other hand, i dont think they can stay away from me
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Badman888(m): 2:53am On Mar 08, 2007
Two of you are probably just tired of each other and you dont know how to end it, if u saw a future in the relationship you wouldnt say you want a break. Its sha a nice way of breaking up with each other without any fighting involved and all that because you would see some other people and want to move on.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by Tmoni(m): 3:26am On Mar 08, 2007
i thinl break time is over and you guys should start getting ready for second semester grin
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by bluenubian(f): 3:30am On Mar 08, 2007
a break shouldn't be more than a week, anything u do after that week cannot be used against u if u do get back together.
Re: Can A Relationship Survive A Break? by nnenneigbo(f): 4:40am On Mar 08, 2007
girl i know its hard to stay away from all those men, its like fighting against nature(even if you wanted to they sure won't stay away anyway). have a break and have some fun undecided undecided

use breaking up as an excuse , when you're done just get back together again easy peasy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out What A Lady Wore To A Party ( Picture) / "I Am A Proud Virgin" -beautiful Nigerian Muslim Doctor Boasts On Twitter (photo / See Pictures Of A 16years Old With Natural Curves And Hips Like That Of A 27year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.