Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? (76748 Views)

Poll: What's Your Preference?

BMW X5: 43% (52 votes)
Mercedes Benz ML: 32% (39 votes)
Audi Q7: 16% (20 votes)
Volkswagen Touareg: 6% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model / Toyota Camry 1997 2.2 Xle Vs Bmw E36(318i) Vs Mercedes C220 / Bmw760li Vs. Mercedes S63 The Beast Versus The Wild Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Apr 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

The X6 is not a true SUV. I hate the shape.

@Siena,
While testing the '10 ML, don't forget to try out the GL.
I bet you'll be voting for the Mercedes.

So because you do not like the shape, it is not a true SUV? Just lol.

Nne, please could you tell us what a true SUV is or at least your definition of SUV.

I am waiting with eagerness.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 28, 2010
So because you do not like the shape, it is not a true SUV? Just lol.

Nne, please could you tell us what a true SUV is or at least your definition of SUV.

I am waiting with eagerness.

You tell me since you know.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

You tell me since you know.

Lol, typical nigerian question dodging but it is good. To each his/her own. Just desist from badmouthing anything you do not like and try to bring them down from their status just because it does not cater to you. The X6 is more SUV than anything you would name. Go to www.bmw.de and check under what category they listed the X6. At least i can certify that the hotheads in München know what an SUV is more than you do.

Have a nice day.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 28, 2010
^^^^
I expected you to give me the technical details.
Anyway, forget the AWD feature and technicalities of a SUV.

In simple English,the X6 is like a cross breed between a jeep and a car.
Hence my stating that It's not a 'true SUV'.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Apr 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

^^^^

Bingo! That's exactly the way I view the X6.  smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

^^^^

And why exactly is an X6 [b]''like'' [/b]a cross breed between an SUV and a car? Any proof to those claims? The shape? I don't know, anything you got? Just don't make blatant claims, back it up. The burden of proof is on you since you ''think'' the X6 isn't an SUV. Let me remind you that your opinion is not fact.

I strongly do believe you do not understand what makes a vehicle an SUV. I'll give you one clue, it is not the shape, lol.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by fisibobo(m): 11:04pm On Apr 28, 2010
i ve cinematography cameras and accesories forsale contact yomi on 08036013900
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 28, 2010
fisibobo:

i ve cinematography cameras and accesories forsale contact yomi on 08036013900

And you feel this is the correct section to advertise you photography equipment? angry
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 12:19am On Apr 29, 2010
You people should leave my X6 alone.It is an SAV (Sports Activity vehicle) not an SUV.It's the first of it's kind.If you want an SUV, go for the X5. . .if you need something more exciting, the X6 does the job.I wonder which part of SAV people don't understand.If the X6 is cheapened to the price of a range rover, it would be the highest selling car right now.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 1:12am On Apr 29, 2010
Differentiating the X6 from other SUVs in this thread by saying that the X6 is a crossover SUV does not really say much because it is build on the same platform as the X5. The X5 is built on the 5 series car platform, hence the word “crossover”.

Almost all the SUVs being considered are built on car platforms.

X3 – 3 series
X5, X6 – 5 series
ML, GL – same W164
Cayenne, Touareg – A6
Audi Q7 – Group C6 (same as the new Allroad)

Traditionally, real SUVs are truck based which is why they don’t drive as good. Almost all SUVs are now switching to car platforms (crossover) because it makes the SUV more fuel efficient and more fun to drive. Range rover sport/LR3 might be the exception to this new trend which is why they are too heavy and too slow.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 1:19am On Apr 29, 2010
wtf!! shocked shocked ok now i think this poll came in at the wrong time when we have all these benz freaks around angry
By the way BEMMAA 4 LIFYA!
for all those saying the x6 is ugly honestly i do not see your point!! i mean its the sexiest design i have ever seen on a car. sue me!! tongue cool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 1:21am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

Differentiating the X6 from other SUVs in this thread by saying that the X6 is a crossover SUV does not really say much because it is build on the same platform as the X5. The X5 is built on the 5 series car platform, hence the word “crossover”.

Almost all the SUVs being considered are built on car platforms.

X3 – 3 series
X5, X6 – 5 series
ML, GL – same W164
Cayenne, Touareg – A6
Audi Q7 – Group C6 (same as the new Allroad)

Traditionally, real SUVs are truck based which is why they don’t drive as good. Almost all SUVs are now switching to car platforms (crossover) because it makes the SUV more fuel efficient and more fun to drive. Range rover sport/LR3 might be the exception to this new trend which is why they are too heavy and too slow.

Dude,

Google BMW X6 or go to their website and if you ever see anywhere that the X6 is being referred to as an SUV, you can then tell me to shut up!

Let me break it down for you again :

SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle
SAV = Sports Activity Vehicle

Decades ago, all people knew about were cars and "jeeps".Yesterday was SUV's, today is SAV.

Read up about it.Ain't nobody talking about platforms and body parts.

Read up!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 1:42am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

Dude,

Google BMW X6 or go to their website and if you ever see anywhere that the X6 is being referred to as an SUV, you can then tell me to shut up!

Let me break it down for you again :

SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle
SAV = Sports Activity Vehicle

Decades ago, all people knew about were cars and "jeeps".Yesterday was SUV's, today is SAV.

Read up about it.Ain't nobody talking about platforms and body parts.

Read up!

Maybe you should read up. SAV is a marketing term that BMW coined. Kinda like how they are calling the concept "Gran Coupe", a 4 door sedan, a "coupe" which implies 2 doors. MB is a little more gracious and they marketed the CLS as a "four door coupe".

Jeeps and SUVs are only used interchangeably in Nigeria. Jeep is a brand that just happens to make the first 4x4 vehicles. Read up.

FYI: I almost bought the X6 twice but couldn't get past the four seats.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 1:45am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

Maybe you should read up. SAV is a marketing term that BMW coined. Kinda like how they are calling the concept "Gran Coupe", a 4 door sedan, a "coupe" which implies 2 doors. Jeeps and SUVs are only used interchangeably in Nigeria. MB is a little more gracious and they marketed the CLS as a "four door coupe".

Jeep is a brand that just happens to make the first 4x4 vehicles. Read up.

FYI: I almost bought the X6 twice but couldn't get past the four seats.

Same way SUV was coined up as a marketing term.And thanks, i know Jeep is a brand that's why i typed the words "jeeps" (notice the quotes? tsk tsk)
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 1:49am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

Same way SUV was coined up as a marketing term.And thanks, i know Jeep is a brand that's why i typed the words "jeeps" (notice the quotes? tsk tsk)

Cool. Can you explain the differences between the X5 and X6 without using the acronyms SUV & SAV?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 1:56am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

Cool. Can you explain the differences between the X5 and X6 without using the acronyms SUV & SAV?

Not much.The most outstanding features that differ them are the seating arrangements (X5 seats 5 and X6 seats 4), aerodynamics/performance (the X6 is geared towards an exhilarating drive).You have to be an auto enthusiast to appreciate the X6.Those people who call the X6 ugly don't even know what beauty means.

Every other thing is identical (almost)
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 2:12am On Apr 29, 2010
Where are my BMW supporters? Where una dey? How on earth is ML (a glorified bus) competing with an X5 (futuristic work of art)? How can this be? Abeg, make una no let these ML danfo supporters gain ground oooo!

Hmm angry
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 2:30am On Apr 29, 2010
@harakiri i taya oh! abi dem dey sleep.lool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 2:35am On Apr 29, 2010
No buses allowed! ML keep off! ! !

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 2:37am On Apr 29, 2010
Post una bus make we see.BMW for life! ! !

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 2:51am On Apr 29, 2010
xcolanto:

@harakiri i taya oh! abi dem dey sleep.lool

Can you imagine the OP even lumped Volkswagen Tuareg and X5 together in the same category.Not even Range rover sport or that disaster called Porsche Cayenne. . .Volkswagen Tuareg of all things? Tuareg is in the group of 4runner, land cruiser, Honda pilot, Nissan path finder and so on.

@OP

Abeg correct that mistake sharp sharp.No insult pipos 4 hia!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 2:52am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

Not much.The most outstanding features that differ them are the seating arrangements (X5 seats 5 and X6 seats 4), aerodynamics/performance (the X6 is geared towards an exhilarating drive).You have to be an auto enthusiast to appreciate the X6.Those people who call the X6 ugly don't even know what beauty means.

Every other thing is identical (almost)

Close but you forgot that there are differences in engines available to both. The X5 available now only comes with the naturally aspirated XDrive30 and XDrive48i while the X6 comes with the twin turbo XDrive35i and XDrive50i. But for 2011, the 2011 X5s that people will be taking delivery on in a week or so will have the same engine as the X6.

Although you could argue that the engine in the X6 XDrive50i is the same as the engine in the X5M (4.4L twin turbo), there are major differences in the design of the intake and exhaust that gives the X5M 155 more HP.

By the way, the engine in the E71 XDrive50i is the same engine in the V8 E53 X5 but turbo charged. The same is true for the XDrive35i when compared to the E53, E46, E70 and E83 BMWs.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 2:58am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

Can you imagine the OP even lumped Volkswagen Tuareg and X5 together in the same category.Not even Range rover sport or that disaster called Porsche Cayenne. . .Volkswagen Tuareg of all things? Tuareg is in the group of 4runner, land cruiser, Honda pilot, Nissan path finder and so on.

@OP

Abeg correct that mistake sharp sharp.No insult pipos 4 hia!

LWKMD!! you fall tuareg hand finish, lol
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:01am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

Close but you forgot that there are differences in engines available to both. The X5 available now only comes with the naturally aspirated XDrive30 and XDrive48i while the X6 comes with the twin turbo XDrive35i and XDrive50i. But for 2011, the 2011 X5s that people will be taking delivery on in a week or so will have the same engine as the X6.

Although you could argue that the engine in the X6 XDrive50i is the same as the engine in the X5M (4.4L twin turbo), there are major differences in the design of the intake and exhaust that gives the X5M 155 more HP.

By the way, the engine in the E71 XDrive50i is the same engine in the V8 E53 X5 but turbo charged. The same is true for the XDrive35i when compared to the E53, E46, E70 and E83 BMWs.

I was about to hit on that note till i read the bolded part above.Merc or beemer?Where's your camp?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:01am On Apr 29, 2010
If you're into aftermarket customization. Here's a design by Lumma
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:05am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

If you're into aftermarket customization. Here's a design by Lumma

Where?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:15am On Apr 29, 2010
Mercedes don't have anything that excites me probably due to my bias towards BMW.

C63 vs M3 - I will take the M3
ML63 vs X5M - I will take the X5M
S63, CLS63 - too heavy to be sporty and connotes an old man
E63 Vs M5 (not yet out) - I would take the M5
SLR ---Hell yeah but too expensive

Plus, I hate automatics with torque converters which is all MB has. So for sedan and SUV, I will only buy BMW and for a sport car, Porsche.

I'll re-attach the pics once I re-size them.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:19am On Apr 29, 2010
X6 by Lumma

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:20am On Apr 29, 2010
Another

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:26am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

Mercedes don't have anything that excites me probably due to my bias towards BMW.

C63 vs M3 - I will take the M3
ML63 vs X5M - I will take the X5M
S63, CLS63 - too heavy to be sporty and connotes an old man
E63 Vs M5 (not yet out) - I would take the M5
SLR ---Hell yeah but too expensive

Plus, I hate automatics with torque converters which is all MB has. So for sedan and SUV, I will only buy BMW and for a sport car, Porsche.

I'll re-attach the pics once I re-size them.

CLS? An old man's car? Dude. . .are you serious? A CLS? That "thing" has youthful masculinity written all over it.Merc has some great cars but their SUV's especially ML sucks! ! !
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:29am On Apr 29, 2010
I guess I could do the CLS but I'm waiting for BMW's version, the Gran Coupe:-)
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:29am On Apr 29, 2010
That's one sick X6.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

$28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences / Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.