Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,195 members, 7,811,514 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? (76749 Views)

Poll: What's Your Preference?

BMW X5: 43% (52 votes)
Mercedes Benz ML: 32% (39 votes)
Audi Q7: 16% (20 votes)
Volkswagen Touareg: 6% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model / Toyota Camry 1997 2.2 Xle Vs Bmw E36(318i) Vs Mercedes C220 / Bmw760li Vs. Mercedes S63 The Beast Versus The Wild Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 29, 2010
Haha!! Lol at this woman trying to diss me. Sorry i have concluded that you do not know what an SUV is and your ranting is too incoherent and does not impress me at all.

I am an car enthusiast who knows so much about cars than your feeble mind could ever imagine. At least i always go to the DTM Championship at Hockenheim here and actually ask questions about cars that i love directly from the manufacturers so i believe i have better information than you on what constitutes an SUV and what does not.

Not to sound too pompous but an X5 and an X6 has been in my house since 2005 and 2009 respectively (even though the X5 has been sold). So i know much about the car i am describing but i do not know if the same could be said of you.

Stick to what you know, of which explaining what makes a vehicle an SUV is not part of it.

Nice try but i am not impressed lol.
Du arsch.

An car? LOL. . .
What is an car? A dummy, no wonder.

I tried to be civil, i tried to break it down.
I really tried, it ain't my fault you ain't smart.

End of discussion.
I can talk for 10yrs, a dummy will never understand my basic English and explanations.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

@Siena - since you like Audi so much, how do you think the RS5 is going to fare against the M3. They’ve had about 3 years to come up with an M3 killer; do you think they can pull it off? I’ll give you one thing though, the A5 line is "pretty"; hopefully, the RS5 is more masculine IRL:-)

I haven't looked in great detail at the Audi RS5, or BMW M3 E90, so can't say.

As this is an SUV thread, discussing the finer points of two German Performance Coupes will derail this topic, please let's stick to this one, you're obviously very free to start a separate Audi RS5 Vs BMW M3 E90 thread, and I'll be glad to contribute.  smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 29, 2010
BlueDiva:

An car? LOL. . .
End of discussion.
I can talk for 10yrs, a dummy will never understand my basic English and explanations.

Please BlueDiva - calm down, and let's dispense with the name calling. This is meant to be a fun thread, let's not spoil it by insulting each other, due to differing opinions. I have the utmost respect for you and Bandit C - his explanations are of great value to us all. Let's all bury our hatchets - preferrably not in each other's heads. smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by inspiredm(m): 9:20pm On Apr 29, 2010
platinumnk:

Even when my Oga Inspired Sold one, I still told him I thought it was ugly.  cheesy grin cheesy

The 2009 X6 Was Ugly But when you were Spending the Money I bet the Money wasn't UGLY !!!

All the Shopping Spree, Vacation and the Flying Miles you Accrued Came from the Sale of that Ugly SUV  tongue tongue

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 29, 2010
@Siena,

Ok, sorry for derailing your thread,
Let the Bandit have his fame. . .
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 29, 2010
BlueDiva:

An car? LOL. . .

End of discussion.

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!! She was trying to call me out on my grammar and made a mess of herself. God i am actually rolling on the floor here, laughing out loud, literally.

Madam, whoever taught you basic elementary english, should refund your tuition asap!! You have been fooled. Lol.

Let me teach you a little grammar and it goes like this; ''an'' in my statement  actually refers to ''enthusuast'' and not ''car'' since that is the dominant noun that the other noun ''car'' is qualifying. So ''a'' and ''an'' will almost always refer to the noun at the end of two combined nouns and not the one at the front. Got it yet? Lmao!!!.

Because everyone around you says ''a car enthusiast'', does not mean it is correct. You wanna bet on that?

If basic grade 1 grammar like the one above is so difficult for you to grasp, how do you intend to know what makes a vehicle an SUV. Ha Ha Ha !!!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 9:31pm On Apr 29, 2010
X5 is thrashing the ML . . . . Ouch
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2010
Bandit C. . .please. Let's move on, and get on with each other. Don't deliberately inflame BlueDiva.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 29, 2010
Siena:

Bandit C. . .please. Let's move on, and get on with each other. Don't deliberately inflame BlueDiva.

Sorry Bro. I ain't never tried to flame. I just dislike grammar Nazis who fall back on others grammar when they have no points left to debate with.

She trying to argue with me over grammar would be the dumbest thing she would try because i would make her feel the heat, lol.

Ok Ok. I am done with her now.

Beemer till i die though grin

By the way, anyone interested in some really interesting german cars forums, where people who are hardcores in anything german car, modding of cars and racing (both f1 and DTM) discuss, can let me know and i will direct them there. Only problem is that most speak very little english.

Peace to you all.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 29, 2010
^^^ Thanks, Bandit C! Will be taking you up on your offers of auto enthusiast fora - when it comes to modding German machinery, the Germans are at the top of my list! smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 10:48pm On Apr 29, 2010
we still here?

grin
Fhemmmy:

grin grin grin
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 29, 2010
platinumnk:

we still here?

grin
grin grin grin

Yep, in and out of this thread. It's early days, huh? wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Ojame(m): 12:00am On Apr 30, 2010
@ Bandit C
Actually Bandit, you are wrong in your analysis of 2 nouns in sequence. We cannot say for example 'an sinus infection' even though 'sinus' and 'infection' are both nouns.
The reason you must say 'a car enthusiast' rather than 'an car enthusiast' is quite simply, that 'a' comes before a consonant sound,and 'an' before a vowel sound. That is why we say 'a university' and not 'an university' even though 'university' begins with a vowel. Yooo get it? and yes, I'm willing to bet!! wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 1:09am On Apr 30, 2010
Fhemmmy:

And am so loving it!! grin grin its gonna get worst doe, am recruiting all bemma fans all around the globe to vote the x5, wink wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 1:53am On Apr 30, 2010
I am kinda surprised that even Q7 is getting a$$ whipped by X5 . . . . . . .
platinumnk:

we still here?

grin
grin grin grin

Yes oh.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 2:20am On Apr 30, 2010
Siena:

Yep, in and out of this thread. It's early days, huh? wink
grin grin grin grin grin have u made your decision yet bro?

Fhemmmy:

I am kinda surprised that even Q7 is getting a$$ whipped by X5 . . . . . . .
not many have the rare chance to interact with the Q7 embarassed

Fhemmmy:

Yes oh.
Continue jare, I am learning and enjoying this debate, its a good one wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 2:25am On Apr 30, 2010
platinumnk:

grin grin grin grin grin have u made your decision yet bro?
not many have the rare chance to interact with the Q7 embarassed
Continue jare, I am learning and enjoying this debate, its a good one wink

My sister, i will take the Q7 over all the listed above, as a matter of fact, i wonder what kinda cheating or bribe chief Siena collected from Toureg to have made the list . . . . tongue
The Audi Q7 is mint and well designed, i love the lights, and the toys inside is just great.
And i think it is well priced compared to some yeye rides
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 2:36am On Apr 30, 2010
Fhemmmy:

My sister, i will take the Q7 over all the listed above, as a matter of fact, i wonder what kinda cheating or bribe chief Siena collected from Toureg to have made the list . . . . tongue
The Audi Q7 is mint and well designed, i love the lights, and the toys inside is just great.
And i think it is well priced compared to some yeye rides

ure absolutely right, Ive seen the prices and Audi really gives you value for you money.
LOL the Volks tongue, how do you think the Volvo SUV compares?
Dont beat me up oo I owned a Volvo car and my goodness it had a lot of power. I used to race grown men on the highway and laugh when I whip them grin grin grin grin grin
So are their Suvs's any good?

@Siena- sorry for the off-topic (curiosity)
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 2:48am On Apr 30, 2010
platinumnk:

ure absolutely right, Ive seen the prices and Audi really gives you value for you money.
Dont beat me up oo I owned a Volvo car and my goodness it had a lot of power. I used to race grown men on the highway and laugh when I whip them grin grin grin grin grin

I think the XC90 is a nice ride.
Performance comes with power, and all u have to do is step on that gas and you cld move from 0 - 70M/hr within couple of minutes.
It comes with safety
Roomy
Busy dash with enuf toys for everyone.
Price is not bad at all.

But the great power comes from the huge Engiine that needs gas for her good perfomance.

But still cant be compared with Q7 machine tongue
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 4:07am On Apr 30, 2010
@Ojame,

You dey mind the 'intelligent' bandit.
All he needed to do was call his error a typo.
That's what every smart person will do if they goof.

Now he has further told us he knows nothing.
Bro, you just shot yourself on the foot with that lecture.

I hope to God you're not a teacher, chei.
My 3 yr old daughter has a better understanding of elementary English.

Please sir, save face and exit the thread quietly.
That's the honourable thing to do. . .LOL

@topic.
The BM is leading.
It might be more popular but not better than the Mercedes.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:53am On Apr 30, 2010
BlueDiva:

@topic.
The BM is leading.

BlueDiva, in the looks and reliability department, the BMW is a better car than the Mercedes Benz. When I worked as a senior Service Technician at Mercedes-Benz Chelmsford, we had a lot of ML's in for warranty work. We also lost clients, who had bought the ML's brand new from us, but ended up trading in their cars for X5's, as soon as their original warranties were due to run out. No one wanted to get caught out with a huge repair bill post warranty.

The main issues back then were auto transmission failures, and small, but persistent electrical gremlins. The X5 is more popular for a reason - it's a better driver's car all round. When picking a car, I look beyond the badge, and delve deeper into what constitutes a good all rounder. In recent years, the Mercedes-Benz brand has declined. Another aspect which affects the drive of the ML, and makes it less car-like in terms of feel, is the fact it's still traces its origin to the original Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon, which like the Range Rover, has a truck-based ladder chassis, to which the body is bolted. This of course adds to the weight, and is one of the reasons the ML is quite a thirsty beast compared to the X5, and is considerably slower.

The X5 has a monocoque bodyshell, like most modern SUV's, and this make it a lot more agile on the open round, smoother to drive, quieter inside and of course better on fuel. If you drive an ML 430 V0 vs an X5 3,0L I6, you'll find the X5 feels as sharp as the much smaller E34 / 39 5 series, which is a much smaller, and lighter RWD car. The ML in comparison feels heavy, ponderous, slower and not much fun to drive at all, despite having the advantage of 2 extra cylinders, and a 1,3L advantage over the X5.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:58am On Apr 30, 2010
platinumnk:

The Volvo XC90 I haven't included here, as I wanted to compare SUV's with similar engine / transmission layouts. The Volvo XC90 has the engine / transmission mounted transversely (east to west) so is more comparable with a Landrover Freelander, Honda CRV. Toyota RAV 4 or Nissan X-Trail. The SUV contenders here all have their engine / transmission mounted longitudonally (north to south) as is common in rear-wheel drive vehicles.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 30, 2010
@Siena,
In Nigeria the ML is more popular and better to manage.
I use an ML and i've hardly had problems with it.
Not so for my friends who had X5's. They always complained of electrical faults.
One even towed her car from Benin to Lag as the car stopped moving at the middle of the road.

Take stats in Nigeria and you'll find they are more ML's. Go to the ports or car marts.
I know you like the beamer but seriously i'd take 1 ML instead of 2 BM's
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:42am On Apr 30, 2010
I hear you, BlueDiva.

And I understand about your friends. What you do not know are specifics of the issues they've had, or their maintainance culture. I tend to speak from my indepth knowledge of engineering. A ladder chassis is no substitute for a monocoque bodyshell, unless the car's going to spend the greater part of its life mud-plugging.

The popularity of a certain model in Nigeria does not make it the best. Nigerians in general like names, and "status". They also like to stick with what they feel comfortable with. In Nigeria, the Toyota Camry is very popular, more so than a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, Does that make it a better car?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 30, 2010
I'm off to work - look forward to further debating later when I get back home! smiley

Take care, everyone.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 11:53am On Apr 30, 2010
Siena:

I'm off to work - look forward to further debating later when I get back home! smiley

Take care, everyone.

Nice one siena! your doing a great job on the debate of the X5 Vs the ml (notice the ml in small letters no level.lol). would be looking forward to more views smiley cheers cheesy
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 30, 2010
Siena:

I hear you, BlueDiva.

And I understand about your friends. What you do not know are specifics of the issues they've had, or their maintainance culture. I tend to speak from my indepth knowledge of engineering. A ladder chassis is no substitute for a monocoque bodyshell, unless the car's going to spend the greater part of its life mud-plugging.

The popularity of a certain model in Nigeria does not make it the best. Nigerians in general like names, and "status". They also like to stick with what they feel comfortable with. In Nigeria, t[b]he Toyota Camry is very popular, more so than a BMW, Audi or Mercedes[/b],  Does that make it a better car?

Those toyota cars are fondly found here and even in the US because of its less hassle form of maintenance, affordable cost, low fuel consumption (other wise known as hybrids), with all this amenities how are you guaranteed it will last for five years!, does that in any way match the maintenance expenditures spent on the MB & BM especially? So why wouldn't you go for it if you want to save less and have world class luxury comfort on a recycled metal with no metallic paint. Toyota is the highest selling no doubt, year after year. I think that's why its a Nigerian thing not only,  but talk of the luxuries MB is more durable, strong and its electronic/electric problems hardly occurs compare to BM. As far as I can remember its only a MB engine can drive up 6months without giving you headache even when the engine oil is not changed. Don't forget MB is the first car that came with the bucket seats. If you have an accident in an MB the chances of severe damages to the human body are so slim even when the car ends up like a rumpled N20  wink

Do you have any idea about the origin of the adage below;

There are only two cars in the world an MB and others, before football fanatics started glorifying fav. clubsides with it, t'was copyrighted from a car, no other but MB.

BOTTOMLINE: So if Nigerians use MB as it is, it  doesn't mean it is cheap to afford or its maintenance is cheap either, but for the ruggedity, respect & elegance, style and class it belongs to. There is an adage that goes though it's not really true, "A man who owns a Benz is rich". It's hard to prove that cos, some folks with little or less money will want to feel among the class benz is known for. Benz is really for the rich.

BM is just employing the marketing strategies of its asian counterparts,  more technology and less market
price. I took time to survey this; I put it to you, if MB is not mainly for the rich, why is every MB car in its class costlier than its counterparts in BM?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 3:18pm On Apr 30, 2010
Siena:

I hear you, BlueDiva.

The popularity of a certain model in Nigeria does not make it the best. Nigerians in general like names, and "status". They also like to stick with what they feel comfortable with. In Nigeria, the Toyota Camry is very popular, more so than a BMW, Audi or Mercedes, Does that make it a better car?

Sienna , all of that is just semantics ,it is not proven that a monocoque bodyshell is better than a ladder chassis ,if that was the case it would have become the standard in the market , these cars are off-roaders as well and mud-plugging is part of what we expect from them especially in nigeria.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by vislabraye(m): 4:08pm On Apr 30, 2010
I have always chosen BMW ahead of Mercedes. BM is a machine, smooth and elegant. M class does not have that sort of finese, but i think the newer models are trying. But its BM all the way.
Q7 is another cool vehicle that is competing for my love for BM. That car is also great,
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2010
BlueDiva:

@Ojame,

You dey mind the 'intelligent' bandit.
All he needed to do was call his error a typo.
That's what every smart person will do if they goof.

Now he has further told us he knows nothing.
Bro, you just shot yourself on the foot with that lecture.

I hope to God you're not a teacher, chei.
My 3 yr old daughter has a better understanding of elementary English.

Please sir, save face and exit the thread quietly.
That's the honourable thing to do. . .LOL

@topic.
The BM is leading.

Lol. Ain't you the one accusing me of saying ''an car''? How come you are now changing the contest, Arschloch? Lol.

You are the one that need to save face not me since i could care less about you and your forum rantings. I pity the ones that occupy the same house with you.
Do not avoid the initial question that got us to this point which is ''tell us what makes a vehicle an SUV''

@ Ojame, nice explanation but i only partially agree with you. Problem is that the ''lady in her period'' above was actually accusing me of saying ''an car'' and was oblivious of the ''enthusiast'' that follwed. She didn't call me out on saying ''an car enthusiast'' which means that she was clueless as to what the correct concept in that statement should be.

Mumu Ugly Diva, since you are so quick to comment on how smart or stupid a person is online, let us both, in this thread post our ''University Degree Certificates'' here and let us compare who is actually the more intelligent person between us? Please.

And i mean degrees from Universities where people actually write ''real exams'' not some funny multi-choice nonsense called exams or degrees from a university in a failed system where people buy their certificates like Nigeria (ESUT, UNILAG, LASU and all those trash).

Could we please?

Lmao.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 30, 2010
I choose to be the bigger lady 'cos of Siena.

'an car enthusiast'. . .still laughing grin
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Midas02(m): 5:55pm On Apr 30, 2010
Siena, I have a very interesting proposal that would interest you. I have given it some thought and I think you will like it.
I will appreciate it if you email me at: [b][/b]. Or you may simply pass me your email.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

$28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences / Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.