Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? (76746 Views)

Poll: What's Your Preference?

BMW X5: 43% (52 votes)
Mercedes Benz ML: 32% (39 votes)
Audi Q7: 16% (20 votes)
Volkswagen Touareg: 6% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model / Toyota Camry 1997 2.2 Xle Vs Bmw E36(318i) Vs Mercedes C220 / Bmw760li Vs. Mercedes S63 The Beast Versus The Wild Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:33am On Apr 29, 2010
Gran Coupe

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 3:34am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

.You have to be an auto enthusiast to appreciate the X6.Those people who call the X6 ugly don't even know what beauty means.

And Who said that people who consider the X6 UGLY, are not auto enthusiasts?  Please, Dont try to degrade people for having a different opinon.
If you were such a car "enthusiast" you could name the copy cats of the X6 in other brands without me going to scour it up.
The X6 is ugly- take out the  bells and whistles and its a unappealing designed car.

Even if I wanted to buy a zillion blah blah, i wouldn't waste money on that  undecided And I heard Range is trading their design for something similar to the X6, doesnt mean that it still looks good,  undecided

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2008-08-25-x6-ugly-as-hell-but-its-still-marvelous
^^And these are from many "car enthusiasts"
Hmph.  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5127745

To me the X6 looks like a bad botched plastic surgery.
They cut theass off a 750 and tried to make it up somehow?

See A PROFESSIONAL REVIEW: He says  "WHAT WERE BMW THINKING WHEN THEY ALLOWED THEIR INTERNS TO PLAY ON THEIR LAPTOPS?"

Watch it and weep- enthusiast my foot tongue

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdwQhWyBFo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

Roger that.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:34am On Apr 29, 2010
another

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:35am On Apr 29, 2010
Last one

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:36am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

I guess I could do the CLS but I'm waiting for BMW's version, the Gran Coupe:-)

Do you see Merc reverting to their original 2-door concept for the CLS or retaining the "new found" 4-door design?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 3:37am On Apr 29, 2010
[size=18pt]^^ I bet you havent read the review grin
It totally shuts the X6 DOWN grin grin grin
[/size]

Ok Big brother Sienna, back to topic wink

The BMW X5 vs AUDI cheesy
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:39am On Apr 29, 2010
platinumnk:

See A PROFESSIONAL REVIEW: He says  "WHAT WERE BMW THINKING WHEN THEY ALLOWED THEIR INTERNS TO PLAY ON THEIR LAPTOPS?"

Watch it and weep- enthusiast my foot tongue

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdwQhWyBFo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

Roger that.

FYI: Jeremy hates everything German! Rarely does he comment on a German car, especially BMW, without saying something negative. I still like him though!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:41am On Apr 29, 2010
Beemer represents again.I checked out the Gran Coupe and it shi.ts on the CLS.

Shi.t on Merc.
S.hit on ML
Sh.it on Danfo/bus supporters.

Beemers up! Mercs down!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 3:41am On Apr 29, 2010
^^ He wasnt Biased, he traveled to different places, tested the suspension, even said the place was cramped back there, you just want to glorify that ugly Car grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

That car has no definite shape, and a car should NEVER be "get used to" You are supposed to like your car as soon as you buy it!

Even when my Oga Inspired Sold one, I still told him I thought it was ugly.  cheesy grin cheesy
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:47am On Apr 29, 2010
platinumnk:

^^ He wasnt Biased, he traveled to different places, tested the suspension, even said the place was cramped back there, you just want to glorify that ugly Car grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

That car has no definite shape, and a car should NEVER be "get used to" You are supposed to like your car as soon as you buy it!

Even when my Oga Inspired Sold one, I still told him I thought it was ugly
cheesy grin cheesy

At the end of the day, every "reason" you've stated is based on how you feel about the work of art and where i come from, that's not even basis for a discussion.

End of!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 3:48am On Apr 29, 2010
platinumnk:

Even when my Oga Inspired Sold one, I still told him I thought it was ugly.  cheesy grin cheesy

I wasn't just talking about the X6, he even hates 3 series. I think he might be ticked off because Tiff is always praising BMWs and he figures he might be better off going against the grain. grin
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 3:51am On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

I wasn't just talking about the X6, he even hates 3 series. I think he might be ticked off because Tiff is always praising BMWs and he figures he might be better off going against the grain.  grin

Dude,

There's no point explaining the details.They both share the same hate for beemers.It's not about the facts with these peeps, it's about their "feelings".
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 4:00am On Apr 29, 2010
I gotta log out now.My beemer fans, abeg keep it real oooo! Don't give these danfo ML drivers a chance and please remember that this thread is about X5 vs ML. I don't know how audi and tuareg of all things got into the game but the OP has to make amends.Abeg, make una no begin put pix of s-class for here oooo! coz if na dat one, i get over 500 pix of 7-series wey go flood this whole place.

Nite all!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 4:04am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

Dude,

There's no point explaining the details.They both share the same hate for beemers.It's not about the facts with these peeps, it's about their "feelings
".

Ad- Hominem- Google it.

Again- I repeat, remove the bells and whistles from the X6 and the car is unappealing.
How can you build a 4 door car that cramps the passengers?

Please there are boucou other links that dont like the X6, I dont feel like posting.

I dont hate the beamers, I love the 745s before they went to 750's
The X5's are hot.

The x6 fell off the bandwagon and I disagree, I drove around in the Swankiest places in US for a week and These same people who can afford a Ferrari are not LOVING the X6. End of story.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 4:09am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

At the end of the day, every "reason" you've stated is based on how you feel about the work of art and where i come from, that's not even basis for a discussion.

End of!
Work of art or something with a Brand label?  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

from a BMW OWNERS  FORUM:
It would've looked fine if they kept the same theme going from front to back. This car reminds me of one of the m3forum members' car project. It has hard edges at the front but it's round at the back. Also the taillights kind of look like that Mercedes Hatchback. The front is similar to the Toyota Venza though.

And when I compared it to the Venza earlier, you thought I was joking.
Honda basically Took the Body, Still think its all that?

Do your research grin

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 5:28am On Apr 29, 2010
@ Bandit C

And why exactly is an X6 ''like'' a cross breed between an SUV and a car? Any proof to those claims? The shape? I don't know, anything you got? Just don't make blatant claims, back it up. The burden of proof is on you since you ''think'' the X6 isn't an SUV. Let me remind you that your opinion is not fact.

I strongly do believe you do not understand what makes a vehicle an SUV. I'll give you one clue, it is not the shape, lol.

BlueDiva:

^^^^
I expected you to give me the technical details.
Anyway, forget the AWD feature and technicalities of a SUV.

In simple English,the X6 is like a cross breed between a jeep and a car.
Hence my stating that It's not a 'true SUV'.

Don't tell me you're unintelligent.
WTF are you going on about like a lost child?

The term 'true SUV' is coined.
The looks was the basis for my using that term.

I've told you that traditionally, the X6 doesn't look like a SUV, does that make it not to be a SUV?.
The look was the basis of my diss of the X6. Read my post above where i said forget the technicalities.

Next time don't go about making silly remarks.
Any idiot can google SUV or the X6 technical details and know if it's a SUV or not.

At a glance, a lay man would struggle to decide if it's a regular car or a SUV.
Perhaps you haven't even seen the X6 on ground. undecided

From the Mercedes R-Class to the Volkswagen Concept A, there are some pretty strange crossover SUVs either on the market or in the works.   BMW has entered the fold with a coupe like-SUV-crossover of its own, the BMW X6 — a radical SUV crossover from the German automaker. The X6  looks unusual, but interesting nonetheless.

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:14am On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

I gotta log out now.My beemer fans, abeg keep it real oooo! Don't give these danfo ML drivers a chance and please remember that this thread is about X5 vs ML. I don't know how audi and tuareg of all things got into the game but the OP has to make amends.Abeg, make una no begin put pix of s-class for here oooo! coz if na dat one, i get over 500 pix of 7-series wey go flood this whole place.
Nite all!

I brought the Q7 and Touareg into the mix, as they were mentioned. And, I also wanted to promote more debate. Virtually everyone on here knows I'm an Audi fanatic, so my choice of the X5 shows I'm not biased. I've based my choice on a mix of performance, reliability, affordability and looks. I also tend to part base my opinions on technicalities, and as a qualified engineer, I fee I have what it takes to know what to look for when choosing any sort of vehicle, from a micro car to an 18-wheel rig.

The Q7 would have been my choice, and in terms of looks and performance, it would be my natural choice. However, it's the newest contender here, and as such has not really had a chance to prove itself in the reliability stakes, and in reality, I can't afford one, without resorting to finance, which I dislike.

Note the Q7 is one of the fastest and most unique of SUV's - the 6,0L V12 has the worlds most powerful turbodiesel engine, and the only 12-cylinder turbodiesel fitted to a passenger car, power output is 500 PS (370 kW; 490 hp) and 1,000 N·m (740 lb·ft). The 0-60 (mph) is 5.5 seconds, a figure most would attribute to a supercar!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by desktop: 7:32am On Apr 29, 2010
BlueDiva:

@ Bandit C

I've told you that traditionally, the X6 doesn't look like a SUV, does that make it not to be a SUV?.
The look was the basis of my diss of the X6. Read my post above where i said forget the technicalities.

Any idiot can google SUV or the X6 technical details and know if it's a SUV or not.

Perhaps you haven't even seen the X6 on ground. undecided

***yawwwwnn!***
The poster specifically asked about two SUVs, reiterates what he wants after several out of point posts (and some pretty useful ones) and here you are trying to force us with what you want!
na wa o, why dont you start your own thread about touareg and Audi, abi na by force as you are a qualified engineer?

Pls its ML and X5 were debating we dont want anyone to help promote more debates or the likes with out of point mentions please.
Hia!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 29, 2010
***yawwwwnn!***
The poster specifically asked about two SUVs, reiterates what he wants after several out of point posts (and some pretty useful ones) and here you are trying to force us with what you want!
na wa o, why dont you start your own thread about touareg and Audi, abi na by force as you are a qualified engineer?

Pls its ML and X5 were debating we dont want anyone to help promote more debates or the likes with out of point mentions please.
Hia!

Are you high?
Why are you quoting me?

Where did i ever mention Touareg and Audi?
All these people who write before thinking.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Gifo(m): 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
@ All
The X5 with all the hype hasn't beaten the ML any knockout blow here, it just trickled past, even despite the passionate appeal by fans- harakiri etc, lol; somehow in line with my earlier post of reality on ground.

Siena is very much in order by talking about the Audi Q7. Its no secret that that is his first choice if circumstances were different- check other threads. He needs genuine opinion, so we bring in related items; that's why the thread is hot- so interesting.

@ Wallie: Jeremy of Topgear doesn't hate everything German. His review of Audi A8 and Volkswagen Touareg were topnotch some years back. I don't share your view there.

Bottomline is that folks tend to be emotional about what they like and their opinion. The Audi Q7 has authority.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 1:52pm On Apr 29, 2010
Siena:

Note the Q7 is one of the fastest and most unique of SUV's - the 6,0L V12 has the worlds most powerful turbodiesel engine, and the only 12-cylinder turbodiesel fitted to a passenger car, power output is 500 PS (370 kW; 490 hp) and 1,000 N•m (740 lb•ft). The 0-60 (mph) is 5.5 seconds, a figure most would attribute to a supercar!

The Q7 V12 is fast but not as fast as the X5 M.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqIwwOFdn70&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 2:06pm On Apr 29, 2010
Gifo:

@ Wallie: Jeremy of Topgear doesn't hate everything German. His review of Audi A8 and Volkswagen Touareg were topnotch some years back. I don't share your view there.

Bottomline is that folks tend to be emotional about what they like and their opinion. The Audi Q7 has authority.

It is widely known that Jeremy only favors British brands. I only watch him because of his wittiness and he's not as biased as Best Motoring in JP. Find me a video of him not saying anything negative about any model within German brands even after initially praising them.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlqBn9pzETw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 2:14pm On Apr 29, 2010
@Siena - since you like Audi so much, how do you think the RS5 is going to fare against the M3. They’ve had about 3 years to come up with an M3 killer; do you think they can pull it off? I’ll give you one thing though, the A5 line is "pretty"; hopefully, the RS5 is more masculine IRL:-)
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2010
harakiri:

Beemer represents again.I checked out the Gran Coupe and it shi.ts on the CLS.

Shi.t on Merc.
S.hit on ML
Sh.it on Danfo/bus supporters.

Beemers up! Mercs down!

Please do not go there , talking of Gran Coupe, if BMW is so tech why do they benchmark Mercedes- Benz models, becosa them recognize the market leader .Besides the x5 and the some of their hih-end coupes the other beemersjust dey nothing unique or innovative about them
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by michaelala(m): 2:42pm On Apr 29, 2010
BMW for life, dont settle for less
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 3:47pm On Apr 29, 2010
I saw a White 2010 ML on the Road this morning. . .

Still perfer the X5 grin
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 3:59pm On Apr 29, 2010
i see the bemma is taking the lead!! cheesy :Db welldone guys i hail!! bemma 4 life, cool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 5:23pm On Apr 29, 2010
For the ml fans in the house

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
BlueDiva:

@ Bandit C

Perhaps you haven't even seen the X6 on ground.  undecided

Haha!! Lol at this woman trying to diss me. Sorry i have concluded that you do not know what an SUV is and your ranting is too incoherent and does not impress me at all.

I am an car enthusiast who knows so much about cars than your feeble mind could ever imagine. At least i always go to the DTM Championship at Hockenheim here and actually ask questions about cars that i love directly from the manufacturers so i believe i have better information than you on what constitutes an SUV and what does not.

Not to sound too pompous but an X5 and an X6 has been in my house since 2005 and 2009 respectively (even though the X5 has been sold). So i know much about the car i am describing but i do not know if the same could be said of you.

Stick to what you know, of which explaining what makes a vehicle an SUV is not part of it.

Nice try but i am not impressed lol.

Du arsch.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2010
Wallie:

The Q7 V12 is fast but not as fast as the X5 M.
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqIwwOFdn70&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

I did say, "one of the fastest", not the fastest there is.

I remember watching the Top Gear test - don't forget the BMW X5M is the M version, as in an M3, M5, M6 etc. It also has a petrol engine, so of course the 0-60 mph dash of 4,7 secs is quicker than the 5,5 secs posted by the non-RS, non-petrol V12 turbodiesel Audi Q7. I don't know any other turbodiesel in a passenger car, that can rival the sheer pulling power of the Q7's V12 TDi.

I would pit the BMW X5's turbodiesel, non-M version against the Audi Q7 V12 TDi. We know what the results would be - the reason the Top Gear team tested the X5M against the Q7 V12 TDi was merely because there's no comparable turbodiesel in the X5's range that would rival the power or torque of the Q7 V12 TDi. A diesel scores in mid range, and that's where the V12 Q7 would be more than a match for the X5M. The track test was great, but in real world driving, on the open road, it's very unlikely anyone would be taxing their suspension's to the limit, as one would on a track.

The Range Rover's off-road manners are excellent - but it's a well known fact the X5, Q7, ML and Touareg are designed with more on-road use in mind, as a result, they would fare much better than the Range Rover. Come to think of it, most of these SUV's, including the Range, will spend the greater part of their lives on tarmac, with the odd foray into a mud bank, bad roads, loose gravel, ice and snow banks. Most people will spend between £55 - £93,000 on their SUV's. It's highly unlikely they would deliberately drive their prized possessions into a mud quarry, or spend all their time off-road, to see if the manufacturer's claims of off-road prowess can be proven! I for one wouldn't - if I wanted to go off-road with any of the numerous 4x4 clubs out there, I'd buy a Land Rover Defender 110 - which is widely recognised as one of the most capable mud-pluggers out there. wink

As I previously said, I'm an Audi nut, but I'd choose the BMW X5 over the Audi Q7, simply because I can afford one, and the X5 has been consistently proven to be very reliable. Audi's are reliable cars, but the Q7 is still too new to draw any conclusions as to reliability - time will tell though! cool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Gifo(m): 8:10pm On Apr 29, 2010
Well said, Siena both generally and technically. Your stance and clarity on issues are outstanding!

Clearly, the choice has been made- @ all.

By the way, I checked the Audi Q7 reliability issues on some sites, not bad really so far. MSN autos Q7 owners review 2007-2009 model actually averaged 9.2/10, an excellent review if I may say. But like Siena clearly stated time will tell; but I think it will tell favourably as it has done so far.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

$28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences / Lagos Hustle!!! Look At How These Guys Washed A Moving Car In Lagos Traffic.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.