Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,102 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34563 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 4:05am On Mar 17, 2018
I don retire for nairaland I can’t keep seeing ridiculous things like this daily
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:06am On Mar 17, 2018
rlauncher:

Stop deceiving yourself. I have seen an Olukumi king gave an interview on a documentary on Olukumi people on Iroko TV recently.

Post the documentary and stop telling us story.

I'm still waiting.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:12am On Mar 17, 2018
Thetruthsayer10:
real profile first one second one osu created fake profile

Idiot I'm a member of Proudly anioma, proudly Igbo for years. Participant in the group for years and both Ngozika and Osita are active members in the group for YEARS that's how come i know who the Bleep they. Osita Mordi is the creator of the group and he himself stated he is Ndokwa. Infact, if i recall correctly he was an old NL member on this forum.

I am still waiting on ANY Olumkumi attendance to ANY yoruba traditional events. Even limited to Ugbodu king sef since na an una dey use for your desperado. Still nothing

I'm still waiting on ANY olukumi well known personnel that ever claimed yoruba
. WHY IS THIS SIMPLE TASK A DAUNTING TASK FOR UNA?

I've been asking this for HOURS now and still been avoided by you attache by force desperado. How hard is this simple task? Is it only on NL stories that they claim yoruba. I'm waiting!!!

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:15am On Mar 17, 2018
rlauncher:

Don't mind nonaira1.

These people have been separated from their Yoruba kith and kin for centuries, associating only with their surrounding cultures. It is even a miracle that they have not completely lost their language.

Attache by force desperado.

Go and force am to be yoruba. Pitiful clowns

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nonaira1: 4:25am On Mar 17, 2018
rlauncher:

No one is desperate OK.We are just discussing history, putting record straight. Who or whatever Olukumi people believe or chose to be is up to them and OK by us. We don't dream annexation. Even if Nigeria is to split today (which is never going to happen), we the proud Yoruba people will not compel anyone to go along with us. We are not planning secession like the Biafrans.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

This entire thread says otherwise

Who or whatever Olukumi people believe or chose to be is up to them and OK by us.

Does not look like it based on una desperation on this thread. Like I said before you should go to olukumni and start forcing am as yoruba. Attache by force desperados

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Truthcat: 4:57am On Mar 17, 2018
What is it that we won't hear? When a people have failed, lost and don't know who they are, even aliens will rewrite their history.

Oyo and Oba are Yoruba words, not Hausa. The Yoruba tribe has always been called Yoruba from time immemorial.

Hausa can call us oyoroba and ibos call us yoloba or anything in between but Yoruba is who we are, who we have been and who we will continue to be.

We will change the name of our nation to Omoluabi When we get our country.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by letu(m): 5:43am On Mar 17, 2018
Yyeske:
Google Ngozi town in Burundi and the name Ngozi in Igbo language and tell me if both would have any correlation.
igbo in Yoruba means bush but in Igbo, it means people.
Tell me the meaning of Yoruba in Yoruba language and give examples of people and places with Yoruba attached.
Well you are right but I want to add more to it, Igbo meaning people in Igbo language has a specific type of people it referring to which is Large number of people as in all, another way of saying or calling the name eg
(1) Igbokwe _ _ Ohakwe
(2) Ngwa people will go with Ngwakwe
(3) Igbokwu____ Ohakwu_____ Ngwakwu
(4) igboka______ Ohaka.
The reason why (4) don't have any Ngwa version has to do with Ngwa version in 1 and 2 having the same meaning it's also making reference to Ngwa people's large population in all, both name's has the same meaning.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 9jakool: 6:13am On Mar 17, 2018
Kestolovee95:

Hausas are slaves too under fulani dominion how can they behave like freeborns when they are not?

Your name is your root, when masters buy slaves they take away old names effectivy ending their status as freeborns and they become slaves.

I will feel like commiting suicide if I grew up to learn that one musligworo-cheing towel-head somewhere gave my great ethnic group the name they celebrate.
I even prefer you guys revert back to 'anago' that the dahomey girly warriors called you whenever they came to remove the heads of your warriors and take them home as trophies. It sound more pleasing to the ear. ,D

Your mind is clearly filled with hatred and bigotry, so you would only hear what you want to hear. I don't think you can comprehend logic and reasoning, but I'll try anyways.

Also, since you clearly know the meaning of Yoruba in Hausa, let me ask you this. What the meaning of Yoruba in Hausa? Make we hear.

Yes, Anago can be used as a general term for Yoruba, but it really applies to one subgroup of Yoruba that live mostly in Benin Republic, but some can also be found in Togo and Nigeria. In fact, the few Anagos that are found in Nigeria inhabit the present-day Ipokia local government in Ogun state. Anago was not invented by the Dahomeys, don't try to twist history. Anago is a very archaic term and it originally refers to a Yoruba subgroup that live along the Weme river. Anago can be found in Yoruba folklore, music, and oral traditions.

You should know that the same Dahomey you talk about was under the control of imperial Oyo for about a 100 years. The history and relationship between Yorubas and Dahomey was much more complex than what you made it seem. If you bring up the Amazon Dahomey fighters, you have to talk about power dynamic. The original reason the Amazon warriors existed in the first place was because the Dahomey wanted to control the booming coastal trade kingdom of Ouidah. Dahomey was originally largely an inland kingdom in the heart of Fon territory, which was why they wanted to have access to the coast and direct trans-atlantic trade. Ouidah fell in 1727 and this was documented by the European traders. Some years later in 1740, Oyo would then defeat Dahomey even with their Amazon warriors. Dahomey would pay tribute to Oyo becoming a vassal state for a century or so. In fact the reason why the Amazon fighters get global recognition for their bravery is not really with their failed incursions with Yorubas, but with the Europeans. The female warriors were used by Dahomey against the French during the series of war known as the Franco-Dahomean wars. I'll end at that.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:27am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

Attache by force desperado.

Go and force am to be yoruba. Pitiful clowns
Don't mind rlauncher. He is a big joker.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:32am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

Idiot I'm a member of Proudly anioma, proudly Igbo for years. Participant in the group for years and both Ngozika and Osita are active members in the group for YEARS that's how come i know who the Bleep they. Osita Mordi is the creator of the group and he himself stated he is Ndokwa. Infact, if i recall correctly he was an old NL member on this forum.

I am still waiting on ANY Olumkumi attendance to ANY yoruba traditional events. Even limited to Ugbodu king sef since na an una dey use for your desperado. Still nothing

I've been asking this for HOURS now and still been avoided by you attache by force desperado. How hard is this simple task? Is it only on NL stories that they claim yoruba. I'm waiting!!!
These trolls wont post any of that because they simply don't have it.

They are a disgrace to their tribe.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 6:41am On Mar 17, 2018
Truthcat:
What is it that we won't hear? When a people have failed, lost and don't know who they are, even aliens will rewrite their history.

Oyo and Oba are Yoruba words, not Hausa. The Yoruba tribe has always been called Yoruba from time immemorial.

Hausa can call us oyoroba and ibos call us yoloba or anything in between but Yoruba is who we are, who we have been and who we will continue to be.

We will change the name of our nation to Omoluabi When we get our country.
Point of correction: Oba was originaly and still is an Igbo word. It was the title of the Obatalas of Ife who were also called 'Oba Igbo'.

Today, the traditional ruler of Ogbaland in Rivers State is Oba of Ogbaland. His ancestors were also Lucumi aborigines of Ife.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 7:32am On Mar 17, 2018
zeuchineesnacks:
which curse is greater than betraying, taking everything and stealing from a people in order to stay ahead and be better in life but a couple off years they turn out wealthier, more educated, stronger and more good looking than you and u being a shadow off urself leaving in past stolen glory. U are the true definition of a cursed tribe.

And that is why the cursed tribe has become the sacrificial lambs to appease the gods of Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Thailand, South Africa, and an engendered a species and vagabonds in their own country. A cursed tribe of hairy chimpanzees.

8 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 7:57am On Mar 17, 2018
igbodefender:
Point of correction: Oba was originaly and still is an Igbo word. It was the title of the Obatalas of Ife who were also called 'Oba Igbo'.

Today, the traditional ruler of Ogbaland in Rivers State is Oba of Ogbaland. His ancestors were also Lucumi aborigines of Ife.
Oba an igbo word hehehehehe. These bush people won't stop making person laugh.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by OkutaNla: 8:01am On Mar 17, 2018
rlauncher:

Stop deceiving yourself. I have seen an Olukumi king gave an interview on a documentary on Olukumi people on Iroko TV recently.

I don't know why you are wasting your time with these dolts. The subject matter has been thrashed extensively on this very forum. Allow them jo. Unlike them, we don't do attache by force.

https://www.nairaland.com/2278577/facts-yoruba-enclave-heart-aniocha

http://aniochaoshimili.org.ng/2017/05/22/facts-about-the-yoruba-enclave-in-the-heart-of-aniocha-in-delta-state/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 8:15am On Mar 17, 2018
What we can all agree to in this thread is that:

1. Yoruba was NOT the original self-description which the people of modern day SW called themselves.

2. That the term Yoruba was coined by a Sahellian Muslim scholar.

3. That all Yorubas in this thread admit to the fact that Yoruba has no meaning in their language

Thank You

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 17, 2018
Strikethem:
Oba an igbo word hehehehehe. These bush people won't stop making person laugh.
The Obatala kings of the Igbos in Ife, who ruled until the 10th century were called Oba Igbo.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 8:50am On Mar 17, 2018
Kestolovee95:

So IgboUkwu with their 5,000 year old bronze architecture were living in the moon before 50 years ago.
UNICEF was right, yoruba brain are stunted and can never reason properly. Most of you are down with down syndrome. grin cheesy

wawa. the fact it was named igboukwu doesn't mean the people were called igbo. nobody called you igbo fifty years ago. show me any written text were you were called igbo. you were known as eboe until recently.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 8:51am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

wawa. the fact it was named igboukwu doesn't mean the people were called igbo. nobody called you igbo fifty years ago. show me any written text were you were called igbo. you were known as eboe until recently.

What does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 8:57am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

This entire thread says otherwise

Does not look like it based on una desperation on this thread. Like I said before you should go to olukumni and start forcing am as yoruba. Attache by force desperados

When will you have sense? The fact that the people agree they migrated from Yoruba land is enough proof for you. They could have denied if they don't want to have anything to do with Yoruba.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 8:59am On Mar 17, 2018
letu:
Well you are right but I want to add more to it, Igbo meaning people in Igbo language has a specific type of people it referring to which is Large number of people as in all, another way of saying or calling the name eg
(1) Igbokwe _ _ Ohakwe
(2) Ngwa people will go with Ngwakwe
(3) Igbokwu____ Ohakwu_____ Ngwakwu
(4) igboka______ Ohaka.
The reason why (4) don't have any Ngwa version has to do with Ngwa version in 1 and 2 having the same meaning it's also making reference to Ngwa people's large population in all, both name's has the same meaning.

Thanks for the addition, I understand the Ngwa dialect has some differences.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:00am On Mar 17, 2018
GBTYO:

What does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?

The people of the Oba of Oyo. Because the Oba of Oyo was so popular in those days due to the influence of Oyo empire. It was used exclusively for Oyo people before it was generally accepted by the Yoruba.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 9:01am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

The people of the Oba of Oyo. Because the Oba of Oyo was so popular in those days due to the influence of Oyo empire. It was used exclusively for Oyo people before it was generally accepted by the Yoruba.

And who coined the phrase?
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:02am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

What does attending events have to do with anything. The fact they don't deny where they come from is enough proof for anybody with brain.

Have you seen any Olukumi deny where they come from? answer that question you fool.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:03am On Mar 17, 2018
GBTYO:

And who coined the phrase?

The Oyo people. they are so proud of their oba to be called his people.

Meanwhile, Dr osuji says igbo has no meaning in igbo language.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 9:08am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

The Oyo people. they are so proud of their oba to be called his people.

Meanwhile, Dr osuji says igbo has no meaning in igbo language.

Pathetic liar you are...

The term Yoruba was coined by Sahelian scholar.

Much of the early written works of Yoruba history by the likes of Ajayi Crowther referenced this same Songhai Muslim scholar. The word Yoruba came from him and was propagated by the likes of Ajayi Crowther into the 19th and early 20th century vocabulary.

Never ever in pre-colonial times did the people now known as Yoruba ever refered to themselves as Yoruba.

So that makes OP (me) to be 100% accurate in my assertion that the term Yoruba was coined by an Arab Muslim foriegner

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:16am On Mar 17, 2018
GBTYO:

Pathetic liar you are...

The term Yoruba was coined by Sahelian scholar.

Much of the early written works of Yoruba history by the likes of Ajayi Crowther referenced this same Songhai Muslim scholar. The word Yoruba came from him and was propagated by the likes of Ajayi Crowther into the 19th and early 20th century vocabulary.

Never ever in pre-colonial times did the people now known as Yoruba ever refered to themselves as Yoruba.

So that makes OP (me) to be 100% accurate in my assertion that the term Yoruba was coined by an Arab Muslim foriegner

I think you are just a slow illiterate. The Songhai scholar wrote about the Yoruba people he met. The same way the Europeans wrote about the Yoruba people they met. does that mean they also gave us the name? I have told you what it means. Even the OP of this thread gave the meaning when he wrote is as Oyoroba, and for you to be asking shows how retarded you are. Only Oyo people were referred to as Yoruba pre-colonial history.

the Ajayi Crowder you referenced talked about the first foreigner to document the name.

Or can you tell us what it means in Songhai?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Kestolovee95(f): 9:17am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

So because of the white man's difficulty in the pronouncing the 'gb' consonant sound as done in Igbo language 'Igbo' didn't exist 50 years? bwahahaha! chei! grin grin

I think Unicef should declare an emergency in yorubaland and rush down with food and drugs that can reverse the growing debilitating mental disease epidemic going on there, if not in the next 20 years we'll have 99% of SW people walking around with super retar..ded mongolian idiocy features commonly known as down syndrome. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:19am On Mar 17, 2018
Kestolovee95:

So because of the white man's difficulty in the pronouncing the 'gb' consonant sound as done in Igbo language 'Igbo' didn't exist 50 years? bwahahaha! chei! grin grin

I think Unicef should declare an emergency in yoruba and rush down with food and drugs that can reverse the debilitating mental disease epidemic going on there if not in the next 20 years we'll have we'll have 99% of SW people walking around with super retarded mongolian idiocy features commonly known as down syndrome. grin

achebe in his writings never wrote igbo, but ibo. I guess he couldn't pronounce 'gb' too. retard!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Kestolovee95(f): 9:23am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

achebe in his writings never wrote igbo, but ibo. I guess he couldn't pronounce 'gb' too. retard!

You still dey deceive yourself, no be so? Unicef dey come give you hand outs very soon. grin

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GBTYO: 9:23am On Mar 17, 2018
[s]
Firstpage:

I think you are just a slow illiterate. The Songhai scholar wrote about the Yoruba people he met. The same way the Europeans wrote about the Yoruba people they met. does that mean they also gave us the name? I have told you what it means. Even the OP of this thread gave the meaning when he wrote is as Oyoroba, and for you to be asking shows how retarded you are. Only Oyo people were referred to as Yoruba pre-colonial history.

the Ajayi Crowder you referenced talked about the first foreigner to document the name.

Or can you tell us what it means in Songhai?
[/s]

It has since been acknowledged by your fellow yorubas on this thread right from pg 0 that the term Yoruba was a foriegn description by mainly Hausa/Fulani who referred to your ancestors as Oyoroba in refrence to oyo and oba.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:27am On Mar 17, 2018
Kestolovee95:

You still dey deceive yourself, no be so? Unicef dey come give you hand outs very soon. grin

This one has been boxed into a corner. show me any written text fifty years ago were igbo is written. even Azikiwe's newspaper never wrote igbo. he couldn't pronounce 'gb' too. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Osu dimwit.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:29am On Mar 17, 2018
GBTYO:
[s][/s]

It has since been acknowledged by your fellow yorubas on this thread right from pg 0 that the term Yoruba was a foriegn description by mainly Hausa/Fulani who referred to your ancestors as Oyoroba in refrence to oyo and oba.

Wawa illiterate. I guess oyoroba is Ibo language. The fact the name is Yoruba itself should tell you it was not given by a foreigner. But knowing how dimwitted you are, I am not surprised.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply)

APC, PDP Governors, Others Congratulate Ahmed Lawan On His Victory (photos) / NIMASA Takes Over 20 Vessels From Tompolo’s Firm / Crowd In PDP Gombe Rally Chat "Sai Buhari" (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.