Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,479 members, 7,816,131 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34566 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 9:29am On Mar 17, 2018
igbodefender:

The Obatala kings of the Igbos in Ife, who ruled until the 10th century were called Oba Igbo.
Okay grin

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 9:35am On Mar 17, 2018
GBTYO:
What we can all agree to in this thread is that:

1. Yoruba was NOT the original self-description which the people of modern day SW called themselves.

2. That the term Yoruba was coined by a Sahellian Muslim scholar.

3. That all Yorubas in this thread admit to the fact that Yoruba has no meaning in their language

Thank You
Mumu. What is igbo in igbo language?
In Yoruba language, igbo means bush.
You think everybody is like you people that is still finding your root in 2018? Soon, kanu will come back and call you Jamaican. grin cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 9:36am On Mar 17, 2018
Strikethem:
Okay grin

That igbodefender is the most pathetic history re-writer I have seen on this forum. He's the same fool that keeps propagating the lie that the January 1966 coup plotters wanted to install Awolowo as the president.

When I asked him what kind of president did they want to install. Is it a civilian-military head of state or civilian president without election? I'm yet to see his response.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PVision2020(m): 9:42am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

achebe in his writings never wrote igbo, but ibo. I guess he couldn't pronounce 'gb' too. retard!
Baba Mi stop answering this NL trolls.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Kestolovee95(f): 9:45am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

achebe in his writings never wrote igbo, but ibo. I guess he couldn't pronounce 'gb' too. retard!

Click this link and read excerpts from Achebe's books. The word 'Ibo' was only used in TFA printed in the UK by caucausians and that book was simply written for the consumption of foreigners who previously believed that Africans never had their own governments before the colonial days.

In subsequent editions and in other books it was 'Igbo' all through. grin grin

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/825843-things-fall-apart

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PVision2020(m): 9:49am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

That igbodefender is the most pathetic history re-writer I have seen on this forum. He's the same fool that keeps propagating the lie that the January 1966 coup plotters wanted to install Awolowo as the president.

When I asked him what kind of president did they want to install. Is it a civilian-military head of state or civilian president without election? I'm yet to see his response.
As in ehn, the guy is the yardstick/epitome of foolishness. How he conjures thrash from his akpu brain and state it as fact amazes/amuse me. It's like watching a mad man performing in the market square.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 10:02am On Mar 17, 2018
Kestolovee95:

Click this link and read excerpts from Achebe's books. The word 'Ibo' was only used in TFA printed in the UK by caucausians and that book was simply written for the consumption of foreigners who previously believed that Africans never had their own governments before the colonial days.

This one is giving me a link that was written recently. I'm talking of his early works.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 10:03am On Mar 17, 2018
Kestolovee95:

To feel good the guy who walks in and finds his houseboy on top of his mother will tell himself and anyone who cares to listen that they were cleaning furniiture or that he fell on top of her blown by a strong wind from the ceiling fan.In fact he will persuade himself that it is true.

Achebe wrote Things fall Aparf for the consumption of forreigners? Really? Tell yourself that until you believe it. You folk ae renowned liars

Just like the fool who said Onitsha Market is the largest in the Milky Way and the US Army buys drones there. You hear that and you are waitig for the smiley but he is dead serious

Another dunce said Orji Uzor Kalu is so rich the CBN begged him take his money abroad because the could not cope.They had no space.
So he went and the World Bank could only accept half and the IMF took the other half

Where is the logic in your statement. He wrote Things Fall Apart for Foreigners? Why? Later he stopped aand changed? Really? Who was he writing for then? Why?

You folk lie like children ,6 year old children. You have no understanding of fiction and reality

Kindly explain why Igbo is so unpalatable to foreigners but Ogbuefi Ezeudu, Okonkwo , Ikemefuna and Obierika are acceptable to foreign stomachs. Why not Obuefi ? Why Ogbuefi?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PVision2020(m): 10:11am On Mar 17, 2018
0monnak0da:

To feel good the guy who walks in and finds his houseboy on top of his mother will tell himself and anyone who cares to listen that they were cleaning furniiture or that he fell on top of her blown by a strong wind from the ceiling fan.In fact he will persuade himself that it is true.

Achebe wrote Things fall Aparf for the consumption of forreigners? Really? Tell yourself that until you believe it. You folk ae renowned liars

Just like the fool who said Onitsha Market is the largest in the Milky Way and the US Army buys drones there. You hear that and you are waitig for the smiley but he is dead serious

Another dunce said Orji Uzor Kalu is so rich the CBN begged him take his money abroad because the could not cope.They had no space.
So he went and the World Bank could only accept half and the IMF took the other half

Where is the logic in your statement. He wrote Things Fall Apart for Foreigners? Why? Later he stopped aand changed? Really? Who was he writing for then? Why?

You folk lie like children ,6 year old children. You have no understanding of fiction and reality

Kindly explain why Igbo is so unpalatable to foreigners but Ogbuefi Ezeudu, Okonkwo , Ikemefuna and Obierika are acceptable to foreign stomachs. Why not Obuefi ? Why Ogbuefi?

Lol, pity the little brat nah, s/he's just trying to be relevant.
S/he will soon realize that there is a minimum IQ requirement needed to comment in nl politics section.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 10:18am On Mar 17, 2018
PVision2020:

Lol, pity the little brat nah, s/he's just trying to be relevant.
S/he will soon realize that there is a minimum [b]IQ requirement [/b]needed to comment in nl politics section.
I am not sure about that because very few Yibbo commentators in the politics section have any sense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Olu317(m): 10:22am On Mar 17, 2018
0monnak0da:

I am not sure what I am suppossed to do with this

well done for the effort but it does not change my view and be assured I have no interest in changing yours
Of course yes, you are entitled to your opinion just as I. But here,it is about fact on Yoruba people identifiable names in different location and account of these folks, especially in Bénin and Togo where they are referred to as Anago or Ana. And the name was coined for a reason by Fon(Dahomey) people, who are the largest tribe in Bénin Republic. This is the point here.

Cheers
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PVision2020(m): 10:24am On Mar 17, 2018
0monnak0da:

I am not sure about that because very few Yibbo commentators in the politics section have any sense
You're not far from the truth, Foolishness and chest beating seems to be their genetic make up. They never cease to amaze and amuse me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 10:30am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

Who takes him serious?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 10:33am On Mar 17, 2018
0monnak0da:

Just like the fool who said Onitsha Market is the largest in the Milky Way and the US Army buys drones there. [/b]You hear that and you are waitig for the smiley but he is dead serious

[b]Another dunce said Orji Uzor Kalu is so rich the CBN begged him take his money abroad because the could not cope
.They had no space.

The bolded gets me rolling grin cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 0monnak0da: 10:39am On Mar 17, 2018
Olu317:
Of course yes, you are entitled to your opinion just as I. But here,it is about fact on Yoruba people identifiable names in different location and account of these folks, especially in Bénin and Togo where they are referred to as Anago or Ana. And the name was coined for a reason by Fon(Dahomey) people, who are the largest tribe in Bénin Republic. This is the point here.

Cheers
I disagree
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 10:39am On Mar 17, 2018
ayzTIGER:
sharap.. your a product of Hausa Fulani.
atleast a shongai documented about the great Yoruba race whereas Ibo name was only coined by Hausa after the british colony and the name means "I go before others" spits.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 17, 2018
PVision2020:

As in ehn, the guy is the yardstick/epitome of foolishness. How he conjures thrash from his akpu brain and state it as fact amazes/amuse me. It's like watching a mad man performing in the market square.

Dumb comment. Argue with facts not trollism.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 17, 2018
Firstpage:

Debunk history with facts not emotional higgy hagga.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Firstpage: 10:50am On Mar 17, 2018
igbodefender:
Debunk history with facts not emotional higgy hagga.

Which 'history' and 'facts' are you talking about when your premise is false already?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 10:57am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

Do you people ever have Shame at all? Seriously Afonjas does your clan ever have shame at all? How many times do we have to tell you people THERE ARE NOT ANY YORUBA IN ANIOMA LAND!!!! Stop repeatedly trying to attach unaselves to aniocha through olukumni. We no want una!!!! The olukumni history traces them to yoruba yes but today they are not yoruba. The community in question don't claim una. Even the few celebrities from that side have never once claimed una yet you people just can't stop this patheticness. Please stivk to itsekiri you've been claiming and leave Aniocha land alone. Abeg. We don't want una!!!
Look at this Osu immigrant claiming another immigrant.. You seriouly don't have a shame, youTube reading dumbass.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by PVision2020(m): 10:58am On Mar 17, 2018
igbodefender:

Dumb comment. Argue with facts not trollism.
Who argues with a mad man?
All you said was on point jare.
pls carry your double wahala go front and don't ever quote me again. I'm allergic to retards.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 11:35am On Mar 17, 2018
Yyeske:
It's obvious to everyone here that Yoruba was actually imposed on you, Nigeria has a meaning, a contraction of two words -----Niger and area, at least your social studies class in primary school should have taught you that.
I've told you the meaning of the examples I gave you but you just want to argue over nothing you know about.
Meanwhile, give me a name of person or place in Yorubaland with Yoruba prefix or suffix and you cannot fit.
Yoruba was imposed on you and your people, QED.
And your brain couldn't decipher Oyo and Oba in Yoruba. While Yoruba has no other meaning except Yoruba meaning, Ibo has so many names such as bush and slaves. No wonder you were named such because Ibo were found in the bush and were sold as slaves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 11:38am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

Who the Heck told you the bolded? Olukumi is not an ancient igbo language. Have you ever heard the language? If you have, you'll know It is not Igbo. It sounds nothing like igbo. Secondly, the olukumis do not speak any olukumni or olucumi or whatever you want to call it. That speak Enuani like the rest of us. Only a hand full, usually their elders, are the ones that still manages to speak olukumi.
Osu immigrant, are you saying your sister couldn't find an Ibo brethren to marry? Lol. OSU Outcast.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 11:43am On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

I suggest REREAD my post before quoting me and saying what I already said. Wtf did you think you just contradicted?

They migrated from Yoruba land fact. Today, they don't claim yoruba. They don't even see themselves as yoruba. They don't even speak the language. Only people that keep calling them yoruba are you yoruba people and it's pathetic!!! Stick to attache by force to iteskiri and LEAVE aniomaland alone. We don't want you people!!!

I know Olukumis because my family is related to them by marriage and I'll forever keep telling you waste things to stop una patheticness.

THERE ARE NO YORUBA IN ANIOMALAND.

Stick to your desperation with iteskiri people and leave us the hell alone.
That your Osu sister got married to one makes you an olukumi? This one is just too dumb. Abegi, God don't give this one as a child.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 11:47am On Mar 17, 2018
Yyeske:
Thank God for OP and this thread, I never knew Yoruba was actually imposed on you.
We learn everyday
Look at this one, did you think we're like the Ibos that are bush slaves?
The fact there's no way you can translate Yoruba except in Yoruba. That can't be said for the bush slave called Ibo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 11:50am On Mar 17, 2018
Yyeske:
Lol, a credible link indeed so why is Igbo in the names of people and places I talked about?
Remember you have not given me any examples in Yorubaland
Because Ibo has no town precolonial. Majority lived in the bush. It's in the historical books na.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 12:00pm On Mar 17, 2018
Yyeske:
Give examples in Yorubaland abeg or let's forget this argument if there is none.
What stupid example? OYO is a Yoruba state, isn't it? Btw, it was two words that were coined together. You can even see some folks bearing Oba as a prefix. The word is even pronunced 'Yooba' by the localised aged folks in Oyo villages however such word can't be used in an english diction because a consonant must follow a vowel hence the letter 'R'

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Diademk07: 12:07pm On Mar 17, 2018
Nonaira1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

No he dresses like a chinese man just like Asagba.

This is a Bini wear which is different from the Olukumi Oba who had strings attached to his crown like my Father's crown.
All that you've confirmed is Ibo are Immigrants in Asaba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
PVision2020:

Who argues with a mad man?
All you said was on point jare.
pls carry your double wahala go front and don't ever quote me again. I'm allergic to retards.

If you don't quote me I won't quote you. I don't engage madmen in conversation.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2018
Diademk07:

This is a Bini wear which is different from the Olukumi Oba who had strings attached to his crown like my Father's crown.
All that you've confirmed is Ibo are Immigrants in Asaba.
Keep talking thrash.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Yyeske(m): 12:30pm On Mar 17, 2018
Diademk07:

What stupid example? OYO is a Yoruba state, isn't it? Btw, it was two words that were coined together. You can even see some folks bearing Oba as a prefix. The word is even pronunced 'Yooba' by the localised aged folks in Oyo villages however such word can't be used in an english diction because a consonant must follow a vowel hence the letter 'R'
Seems you really want my attention but I'm not obliging you.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Crowd In PDP Gombe Rally Chat "Sai Buhari" (video) / Moses Jolayemi: Buhari Doesn't Know How To Send Text Message / Frank Mba Appointed As New Lagos Police Commissioner, Owohunwa For Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.