Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,605 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? (34584 Views)

Calling Uzodinma ‘Supreme Court Governor’ Is Derogatory – Imo Elders Warn / Buhari Nominates Emefiele For Second Term As CBN Governor / Nigeria Youth Forum Gives Buhari 7 Days To Apologize Over Derogatory Comment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by bigfrancis21: 4:50am On Mar 28, 2018
Strikethem:
But what is the meaning of igbo in your igbo tongue. Cos I'm Yoruba language, it means bush.

One common meaning is that Igbo comes from Ndi gboo = ancient people/early people, given that the Igbos believe that they are an ancient bunch of people living in their present area.

3 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by bigfrancis21: 5:12am On Mar 28, 2018
scholes0 and FisifunKododada,

I am interested in this interesting question. You both seem to always have a Yoruba origin for most popular Nigerian words, yet the very name of your tribe itself has no meaning of its own? I can't believe this is true. Please tell us, what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba language?

6 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Strikethem: 6:34am On Mar 28, 2018
bigfrancis21:
scholes0 and FisifunKododada,

I am interested in this interesting question. You both seem to always have a Yoruba origin for most popular Nigerian words, yet the very name of your tribe itself has no meaning of its own? I can't believe this is true. Please tell us, what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba language?
What is the meaning of igbo in igbo language. Let me explain Yoruba meaning to you. The meaning is oyo ri Oba which means, oyo sees king. Which was shortened to Yoruba. In Yoruba language, igbo means bush, weed or cannabis. One of your brothers was saying rubbish on the thread, saying igbo means people Which I know it is a typical lie. If igbo means people, so what does NDI means. So you will be saying igboigbo instead of NDI igbo. Igbo Yoruba instead of NDI Yoruba. What is igbo in igbo language.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GworoChewinMaga: 5:44pm On Apr 03, 2018
bump
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Swashy4: 8:26pm On Apr 04, 2018
I am from Ugbodu and I am proudly IGBO and proudly Anioma.
Time,event and fate has made it so

I am not Yoruba and yes I cherish our history.

5 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Blackfire(m): 9:48pm On Apr 04, 2018
Firstpage:

Just the way we gave you your own name. Igbo= people living in the bush.

The same word ,different pronounciation....

Be civil man

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 12Monkeys: 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2018
BabaRamota1980
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by BrownRoofRep: 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2018
Afonja slaves have only one god - Aboki terrorists!

By Aboki Aliyu Gwarzo

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by meromero11: 12:16am On Aug 13, 2018
u contradict urself if my ancestor goes by olukunmi why is a clan still called ekiti shouldn’t I go by the olukunmi. U are a big dumbass. The olukunmi are a Yoruba clan that still goes by the name in the heart of anioma land in delta state
You're correct. The Olukunmi's which is a yoruba speaking tribe in the heart of igbo land are related to itsekiri. The word in ugbodu land in Anioma Delta state means the same thing in itsekiri dialect "MY FRIEND"

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by meromero11: 12:18am On Aug 13, 2018
Swashy4:
I am from Ugbodu and I am proudly IGBO and proudly Anioma.
Time,event and fate has made it so

I am not Yoruba and yes I cherish our history.

Olukunmi
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by kayfra: 2:28am On Aug 13, 2018
Nonaira1:

This is Ugbodu king's crown close up (first picture)

Attached is anioma kings and elders from various community's

Have SHAME Yoruba people!!!!
Have SHAME!!!

Biko stick to iteskiri and leave us alone

Been reading your contributions on this thread and its obvious you have a low IQ.

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by shugabasbn: 6:55am On Aug 13, 2018
I hate tribal war it means for people with low IQ
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by GworoChewinMaga: 4:57pm On Oct 06, 2018
And after all rants and grunts, the Oyoruba posters never came up with the meaning of the word Yoruba.

A bastardized breed of sophisticated mor0ns answering with pride their slave names given to them by their Awusa-Fulani overlords

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by softclickppc(m): 2:10pm On Nov 08, 2018
Get rid of your embarrassing Mouth Odour with highly effective ValuePlus Dental Drop & Mouth Wash.
NAFDAC Approved: A7-2316L
For strong and healthy teeth
Removes germs
Fights plaques
Cavity Gum diseases
Fresher breath

No Artificial Preservatives
No Artificial Colours
Suitable for Vegetarians

#Anti-Bacterial #Anti-Microbial #CoolMintyTaste

Without any known side effect

https://goo(dot)gl/forms/XrJAwNKoQWHE7I6M2
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by MalcoImX: 2:45pm On Nov 08, 2018
9jakool:

Hello, I see that you've crawled out of your little rat hole. Let me make some things clear so your little rat brain can stop looking for trouble.

Number 1: It's Olukumi, not Olukumin as the title of this thread suggests. I've even heard of other variations like Olukwumi, and even Lukumi, but never Olukumin.

Number 2: The word Yoruba existed long before Ilorin was ever sacked. The first documentation of "Yoruba" was not even by a Hausa but by a Songhai scholar in the 1500s. Ilorin was annexed some centuries later.

Number 3: There is no such thing as "Hausa/Fulani" dialect. Hausa and Fulfulde are completely separate languages on their own right.

Number 4: "Yoruba" is not a derogatory term in the so called "Hausa/Fulani" dialect nor was it ever used as a mockery term. It was simply a name for an ethnic group SW of the Niger River.

Number 5: There is nothing like "Oyoroba." You made that up in your rat brain. The term that Hausas use is "Yorubawa" which is just how they say Yoruba in their language.

Now that you've been educated, you can now crawl back to the hole you came from.
And for his information again, "Yorubawa" to a Hausa man simply translates to "Yoruba People."
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by ImadeUReadThis: 9:08am On Nov 25, 2018
oyoruba

This thread really rustled many an afonja jimmies cool
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by nwanyionitsha: 10:02am On Nov 25, 2018
KwaraRat:
The word "Yoruba" does not have any meaning in the language of the Olukumi People but traces it's origins from the mockery the Hausa/Fulani jihadist used in describing the once great race after they had sacked Oyo Ile (the capital of the old Oyo empire) and annexed Ilorin for the Sokoto Caliphate.

The word Yoruba is derived from the two words: Oyo and Oba and from the Hausa/Fulani dialect was pronounced "Oyoroba" and was a direct mockery of how they (Hausa Fulanis) captured Ilorin, killed Afonja and the Oba of old Oyo.

How the Olukumin peope will accept a known derogatory mockery as the name of their race baffles me.
What about the derogatory term yeriba?
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by mercyville: 10:14am On Nov 25, 2018
ImadeUReadThis:
oyoruba

This thread really rustled many an afonja jimmies cool
grin

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Swashy4: 5:50am On Dec 04, 2018
There has always been igbos in ugbodu before the arrival of the warriors from Akure,sent by the then Oba of Benin wen he was in pursuit of the fleeing igbos from the Benin kingdom. Those warriors getting to ugbodu,settled....and called the igbos there "olukumi" meaning my friends because the people were peaceful and friendly and also ruled over them for some period of time before the the Edos took over and then the igbos took back kingship.The original tittle as used by the government for the king of of ugbodu is "OBI" ,you can confirm from just recently court case on the obiship stool. So ugbodu was an igbo town by inception hence the use of igbo language along side the yoruboid language(olukumi). You cant separate ugbodu from her igboness.

what I am saying is dat ndi igbo is part of the foundation of Ugbodu Kingdom and was never 100% yoruba origin and Anioma in general so when we are speaking of fore father's and birth right,that should be in mind too coz actually,the warriors were the ones who "came in" and settled ,meeting pre existing igbos . So one can decide to identify as onye igbo from Ugbodu in Anioma delta state and also those who feel they are Yorubas or olukumi can also identify as one.

The formulation and conscious deduction of this from history is more political,As those who know,know. Even the Obi stool but won't talk much on that for reasons. If you go to Ugbodu kingdom today and other Odinani (odiani) clans(Ukwunzu,Ugbodu,Ubulubu,ogodor,ugboba,idumuogo),you will observe and feel the igboness very much present.

I AM PROUDLY UGBODU ,PROUDLY ANIOMA AND PROUDLY IGBO.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rhidollah(m): 6:12am On Dec 04, 2018
scholes0:

lol

Besides, what is "Olukumin" ?

Des OP mean Olukumi? which is Just 1 of the various Clans of Yoruba that goes by that name?

Besides, what Igbos call themselves today is from a Benin word "IGBON" meaning uncultured SLAVES, or people of the BUSH. The name was apt at the time, because at this time in history, that is basically what the disjointed tribes east of the Niger river who had no sense of commonality, nor kinship past the clan level were.

That is why till today, so many so called Igbo groups don't even want to be assciated with that name.
olukumi means the person I can trust i.e eni ti o ku mi ku, the Yoruba are also known as aku which was very derived from the way they greet i.e eku owuro , e ku osan etc.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by rhidollah(m): 6:34am On Dec 04, 2018
Yyeske:
In as much as I hate tribal nairaland wahala, I'll want to set the record straight on this.
Igbo means people in the Igbo language and that is why some names of people and places all over Igboland have an Igbo prefix.
Igboukwu is in Anambra and it means great people, Igbokwe means the people agree, Igboanugo means the people have heard etc. Just the few examples I can think of for now. So the word Igbo has a meaning in the Igbo language.
I think ndi means people which is why we have ndi Igbo which means the Igbo people, we also av d word ndi ara which means mad people . this butress the point that ndi mean people.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by delpee(f): 8:36am On Dec 04, 2018
rhidollah:

olukumi means the person I can trust i.e eni ti o ku mi ku, the Yoruba are also known as aku which was very derived from the way they greet i.e eku owuro , e ku osan etc.

That's the correct tranlation of Olukumi. Same translation is stated for Lucumis in South America or Brazil to be precise. Some believe that they're an ancient Yoruba tribe that migrated eastwards during the Yoruba ethnic group wars. Their original language sounds like some Yoruba dialects. Our local dialects differ greatly. Oyo dialect is the most prominent and the mutually accepted mode of communication in public space.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Swashy4: 9:24am On Dec 04, 2018
This is Ugbodu kingdom and d pic was during our iwaji (New yam ) festival

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by Swashy4: 9:51am On Dec 04, 2018
If I could upload videos,I would have uploaded videos of the complete display of Enuani / Aniocha culture and tradition in ugbodu kingdom including the use of asusu Enuani (igbo).

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by baby124: 9:34am On Dec 25, 2018
Klinee:
Olukumi for me is more of Igala than Yoruba, their language sound more deviant Igala language.
Though their language is very difficult for an average Igala man to understand and they very closer to Igala than Yoruba.
But in Olukumi town like Ugbodu and Okunzu they are bilingual speaking olukumi language and Igbo language fluently. The 'Olukumi' as a word, I believe is an Igala word which means 'my friend'
Secondly there is no sign of Yoruba culture in their land, their names is purely Igbo, their culture is purely Igbo.
I remember visited the town Ugbodu taken a bike from Issele uku, en route Onisha uku down to Ugbodu.
I recall visiting the Paramount ruler of Ugbodu town the Odogwu of Ugbodu.
In 'Olukumi' father is refer as Bami, mother is refer to as Yami.
If I say 'mu pure water wa' means 'bring pure water come'
'Bu iji rumi' cut firewood for me
'maa ko iji ru' you people should park firewood
I used to call my father bami. That’s an old Yoruba way of calling father. Yami is Iya mi. While Bami is baba mi. Just thought I should educate you.
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by masseratti: 5:12pm On Dec 25, 2018
KwaraRat:
The word "Yoruba" does not have any meaning in the language of the Olukumi People but traces it's origins from the mockery the Hausa/Fulani jihadist used in describing the once great race after they had sacked Oyo Ile (the capital of the old Oyo empire) and annexed Ilorin for the Sokoto Caliphate.

The word Yoruba is derived from the two words: Oyo and Oba and from the Hausa/Fulani dialect was pronounced "Oyoroba" and was a direct mockery of how they (Hausa Fulanis) captured Ilorin, killed Afonja and the Oba of old Oyo.

How the Olukumin peope will accept a known derogatory mockery as the name of their race baffles me.
stop saying issh if you don't know, if you can't go to the classroom to read please stop turning history upside down, please, Oyo was never sacked by anyone but Afonja himself, just like the USA went to war in Iraq with his allies, same way Afonja with his ally Alimi defeated the Oyo king who was brutal to his people, that alimi son staged a coup against Afonja in ilorin does not mean fulanis defeated yorubas.

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by SluttanSlayer: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2019
masseratti:
stop saying issh if you don't know, if you can't go to the classroom to read please stop turning history upside down, please, Oyo was never sacked by anyone but Afonja himself, just like the USA went to war in Iraq with his allies, same way Afonja with his ally Alimi defeated the Oyo king who was brutal to his people, that alimi son staged a coup against Afonja in ilorin does not mean fulanis defeated yorubas.

Oyoruba
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by SluttanSlayer: 8:53am On Feb 17, 2019
yoruba name was given by the Songhai scholar Ahmed baba not Hausa and even Hausa ipob youth accuse of being illiterate know this but somehow osu that are not illiterate doesn’t know. Makes me wonder who really is the illiterate

So you agree that the word Yoruba was given to you by a Sahelian Islamic scholar .

Case closed .

1 Like

Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by VulgarVulvas: 4:28pm On Jul 01, 2019
Fulani colony may not be a bad thing as it will ensure these Yorubas go into extinction
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by APCHaram: 12:56pm On Sep 01, 2019
Have you always thought about where the word Yoruba originate?? Have you heard many misconception and misapprehension that left you baffled?? That was what got hold of me too so I decided to dig into it.
What is the meaning of Yoruba? Does it have any inclination to our language? This is a thought provoking topic that needs profound reasoning and intense research for better understanding.

It is time we faced the monster that keeps trailing us whom many try to ignore. In Yoruba culture, appellation is often derived from a prerequisite factor or foretelling. For fact telling, some name their child Owolabi hoping the child will bring fortune to the family, another one is that almost all Yoruba towns have their names derived from an event or a factor as illustrated in; Eba-Odan – Ibadan, Abe Okuta Olumo – Abeokuta and Ibi ti Ile ti yo – Oyo and so forth. However, these factors appear not partake in the word Yoruba.

I asked a lot of people to define Yoruba, nobody had a clue so I decided to return to history and I delved into what Yoruba scholars of the past centuries had written. Slowly I began to unravel the mystery of our name.
The first hint I got was from an ordinary search which spouted Yoruba. What does that mean?? I carried on, I moved on to the always ready Yoruba dictionary written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther which defines ‘Yoruba’ as a bastard and deceitful person.

Another came from the one I found on a scholarly written journal of Dr Taiwo Ayanbolu who insisted Yoruba is a name derived from Hausa language which means deceit. He claimed he found the definition at York Museum in England dating to the 19th century.
Before I go further here, I would like to stress how the name came aboard. It has been recorded that the Hausa-Fulani who had been in contact with the Yoruba even before the rise of Oyo Empire had for some reasons chosen to call us Yoruba, or Yaribansa.

Perhaps this might have been a result of Yoruba people’s bargaining skills which often made the Fulani traders fall victim of trade by barter. Another one I stumbled on was narrated by another scholar who said the name Yoruba started protruding during the clash between Yoruba and Fulani that steered the lost of Ilorin to them in the 18th century.

The Igbos had cleansed themselves off ‘Yinmiri’, a name the Hausa-Fulani had technically given to them. The igbos have today refuted Yinmiri to be a derogatory word, however, the reverse is the case for the Yoruba. From findings I have made, Yaribansa is a Fulani word meaning Bastard. An extremely derogatory word in Yoruba discourse.

I read one of Professor Ade Ajayi’s book “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” where he insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.

Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers. The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation.

Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.

Furthermore, I have read the Odu Ifa and I have familiarised myself with many Ogede Ofo, Iwure and Ewi of the past generations and I have never heard where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

I am penning this for us to know the origin of the word Yoruba, it is a bitter pill to swallow especially now that the name has travelled far and wide, should we try to augment our appellation Yoruba? certainly too late to make any sort of modification. We might as well just carry on dealing with it.
Source & Written By: Bola Olalekan
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by ODB2: 9:07pm On Jan 11, 2020
Yaribanza
Re: How Did The Olukumin People Accept A Hausa Derogatory Term As Their Name? by 12Monkeys: 8:53am On Feb 07, 2020
olril17

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

It's Your Turn To Retire, Obi Replies Tinubu / No Fuel Subsidy Payments Have Been Made To Marketers Since 2016 – NNPC Limited / Police Shut Down IRT, STS State Offices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.