Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation (23489 Views)

Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs / NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
Rolly22:

Guy shut the Bleep up, does it cost more than what your useless leaders are taking overseas? What happened to the $16 Million that was meant for power but was stolen by OBJ? You think you're intelligent but you are a full blown slowpoke, your useless leaders have looted out more money that could have given us steady power supply if utilized, and you are here saying nonsense, spit on you there idiot I hate fools

My advice for you is simple....don't use this language you have used on me on others please.

Thank you and goodnight.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
ahmedbanj:

Mtchew,so U gonna bliv U typed somtin reasonable abi? arrant nonsense! dem suppose dash U slap ni sir!

And have a good night, sir.

God bless.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Ghanaians pay for light.

Nigerians pay for darkness.

Ghanaians pay enough for light...so that there is enough money to buy the stuff needed to ensure light 24/7.

Nigerians....many people and many govt agencies, and even political parties don't pay their bills...and expect free light.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 11:45pm On Mar 20, 2018
waveman2:
If you do all the above then you are part of the problem in this country. We need a revolution
You mean u pay ur taxes and still fix the road leading to ur house and u come comfortably online to say these nonsense.
Do you know how many people cannot afford to eat even 1 square meal a day and we have politicians been paid 13.5m monthly.

The youths of this country are definitely the problem. Go and read about the French revolution and u will understand y France is a better country.

I pay my taxes and I have been doing so for years, ever since I started my career. sad My PAYE tax is deducted at source by my employers and remitted directly to the tax authorities, while my tax clearance card gets updated regularly. And yes, I live in a neighbourhood where we still fix our roads, because waiting for govt to do so, would mean waiting for eternity. This is because my neighbours and I cannot allow the potholes become craters, so that they do not damage our cars and lead us to spend far greater sums of money fixing such cars. undecided

When the govt or its agencies who are supposed to fix the roads, have neglected to do so, despite repeated notifications and constant complaints to the relevant parties, do you expect me and my neighbours to hold a gun to the heads of the staff of those govt agencies, to get the roads fixed? So why da heck are you talking as if payment of taxes leads to an automatic provision of services or utilities, by the govt, in Nigeria? shocked

Stop playing to the gallery, please. You are beginning to sound clueless..... undecided How many of those senators earning 13.5 million monthly have you been able to compel to carry out their jobs? And if a revolution starts today, will you be in the forefront to lead it? shocked Kindly try and stuff your silliness in your side pocket and keep your mouth shut, so that you do not show everyone how truly empty your brain cells are.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 11:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Ghanaians pay enough for light...so that there is enough money to buy the stuff needed to ensure light 24/7.

Nigerians....many people and many govt agencies, and even political parties don't pay their bills...and expect free light.
Another big piece of propaganda and sheer falsehood. Aren't you too old to be repeating such lies? shocked Someone corrected you earlier that individuals, and commercial enterprises pay their bills, but govt agencies and barracks are the chronic debtors. Yet you keep recycling the same lie that Nigerians don't pay their bills....mtcheew!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by sexyanyabubakar(f): 11:52pm On Mar 20, 2018
Lomprico2:
Pay more when we never even see power use. undecided

Apc should kuku kii us!
Where is ASSU, NUPENG and our Religious Leaders when the poor masses not collecting SALARY are crying. Can they not mobiliz citizens to shut down National Assembly , and ask PMB to resign now. Must we wait till 2019. Common ZIMBABWE, SOUTH AFRICA have done it. Our mumu don do.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 11:59pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
foolish boy am not interested in your epistle. anwer this simple queation for me, is it under the government now or has it been privatised?

The stuvpidity is oozing from you. The electricity chain includes the Gencos, the DisCos and the transmission company. Govt still owns 40% of the DisCos, and also owns the transmission companies outright. Go and do your research.

In fact, electricity distribution companies (Discos) often refuse to take maximum electricity loads allocated to them, for distribution to their various consumers.

TCN: 11 Discos Rejected 22,277.53MW of Electricity in Eight Days | September 8, 2017 |

The TCN said in a weekly electricity allocation log it posted on its twitter handle – @TCN_Nigeria, which THISDAY obtained yesterday in Abuja that between August 27 and September 3, 2017 – a period of eight days, the 11 Discos comprising of Abuja, Benin, Eko, Enugu, Ibadan, Ikeja, Jos, Kaduna, Kano, Port Harcourt, and Yola, refused to take up and distribute a total of 22,277.53 megawatts (MW) of power produced by power generation companies (Gencos).

This is despite current records from both the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) indicating that well over 89 million Nigerian citizens do not have any form of electricity connections to their homes.

Yet, the Discos according to the TCN records refused to take up an average of 2,784.6MW every day for distribution to their customers, thereby suggesting that the rejected volumes were produced by the Gencos, and the TCN willing to transmit them.

According to the records, on August 27, the Discos collectively rejected a total of 1,351.47MW; the next day, they allowed a whopping 3,129.05MW to waste; while on August 30, they simply could not take up 2,841.1MW that was generated.

Similarly, their load rejection acts continued on August 31, when they failed to accept 2,656.46MW of power that was generated; on September 1, they could not take 2,713.95MW; as well as on September 2 and 3 when they could not take 3,010.59MW and 3,267.17MW respectively.

According to the record, Ikeja, Ibadan, and Enugu Discos were among the top in the load rejection acts of the Discos.
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/09/08/tcn-11-discos-rejected-22277-53mw-of-electricity-in-eight-days/
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 12:08am On Mar 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

Another big piece of propaganda and sheer falsehood. Aren't you too old to be repeating such lies? shocked Someone corrected you earlier that individuals, and commercial enterprises pay their bills, but govt agencies and barracks are the chronic debtors. Yet you keep recycling the same lie that Nigerians don't pay their bills....mtcheew!

I wish it was a lie, but it is the truth.

I recall a news report several years ago on the problem (back when it was PHCN)

And I also recall a report (radio) saying that one of the DISCOS only got bills from 30% of the customers.

And then there was the APC not paying bills for the HQ, and the various ministries too.

It is the truth. And finally...several years ago, as a student, I lived in an off campus residence. We were supposed to share the bills. Out of about some 30 people...only 3 of us paid the bills. Out of our small money...so that we did not get cut off.

See why I don't beleive that most people pay their bills...and even then, we ain't earning enough to import the stuff to fix things.

You can call me a liar for all I know, you can even say I am a govt bootlicker. But one thing I know....we have a serious problem, and pretending we don't have it...that makes me sad.

I don't understand you Nigerians. Really I don't.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 12:10am On Mar 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

The stuvpidity is oozing from you. The electricity chain includes the Gencos, the DisCos and the transmission company. Govt still owns 40% of the DisCos, and also owns the transmission companies outright. Go and do your research.

In fact, electricity distribution companies (Discos) often refuse to take maximum electricity loads allocated to them, for distribution to their various consumers.

Yes they refuse to do so because the transmission system is broke, and it is not fit for purpose.

And we need $100billion to fix the transmission system alone.

And 7000mw isn't enough. We need 20000MW...just to give everyone 18 hours of power a day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 12:15am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:
The fare we are paying for in Nigeria...is very low.

For example...i used to pay N10000 at my previous place on estimated billing.
At my current place on meter it is N2000 (ALL prices per month).

And thing is...most people in my DISCO's catchment area don't pay bills.

So..where are they going to get the money to make things better?

Govt has hands off the thing...

And they are private companies...

Meanwhile in Ghana....service charge per month is 51000 naira.

Your problem is that you cannot distinguish between fact and falsehood, and you think all Nigerians are a gullible lot. sad Estimated bills have always been hyper-inflated by the DisCos, in their bid to rip off consumers. They know that the consumer has no objective way of monitoring his electricity bill, so before the end of the month, they calculate their so-called estimated bill using a weird formula, and share it to the consumers/residents. And within a week, they come in to disconnect the power supply in the area, if such bills remain unpaid. That is the only way they can make money.

But with a pre-paid meter you only pay for what you consume (hopefully). A user can easily monitor his power consumption, by checking how many units of kilowatts are purchased, each time he credits his pre-paid meter. There are even some meters that will tell you how many days of electricity supply you have left, after recharging. This enables you to monitor your usage, and track your consumption with a view to being more prudent with the usage of electricity. undecided

Some folks will tell you that after getting a pre-paid meter, they now turn off all their appliances once they leave home in a bid to save cost. sad But with estimated bills, you cannot save costs. Even if you turn off your power supply from the mains for a whole week, you still get billed at a ridiculous rate. angry

You claim "most people in your DISCO's catchment area don't pay bills." How many people are in your DisCos catchment area? 5,000? 10,000? Or more? shocked Did you conduct a survey? Or do you have access to each customers' accounts at the DisCo, for you to know this? It appears you work for the DisCo, which is why you repeat such statements with such confidence!

I had a friend who was out of town for a whole month on a course abroad. Before leaving, he switched off all his appliances, and left just one security light outside his gate on. That single light was on a timer, that was switched off during the day, but came back on at night. By the time he came back, he had been billed 30,000 naira as the estimated charges for the month he was away, because he lacked a pre-paid meter.

Now, is this act simply not another name for extortion? The worst part was that the DisCo refused to waive the bill or make any corrections. He was asked to go and pay the entire bill since it had been issued already, BEFORE they could even listen to his complaints. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 12:26am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Yes they refuse to do so because the transmission system is broke, and it is not fit for purpose.

And we need $100billion to fix the transmission system alone.

And 7000mw isn't enough. We need 20000MW...just to give everyone 18 hours of power a day.

Oga, the PR job you are trying to do for the DisCos, is sickening. sad Like I said before, it is either you are a foreigner who has not lived in Nigeria for a long period of time, or you are an expatriate Nigerian out of tune with the reality in his country, or you are simply a hired hack, who has been paid to push forth the shallow perspective of the inefficient, clueless DisCos. Which one?

Or else how did you arrive at these figures of 100 billion USD, or 300 billion USD that you have been flinging around carelessly and flippantly everywhere on this thread? Like I told your sidekick earlier, "Govt has spent 2.7 trillion naira on power supply in the last 16 years with little improvements in the sector, so what makes you think that by overburdening the masses to extort more money out of them, in the guise of increased electricity rates, you would automatically transform the same power sector?" shocked

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 12:36am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:
I wish it was a lie, but it is the truth.

I recall a news report several years ago on the problem (back when it was PHCN)

And I also recall a report (radio) saying that one of the DISCOS only got bills from 30% of the customers.

And then there was the APC not paying bills for the HQ, and the various ministries too.

It is the truth. And finally...several years ago, as a student, I lived in an off campus residence. We were supposed to share the bills. Out of about some 30 people...only 3 of us paid the bills. Out of our small money...so that we did not get cut off.

See why I don't beleive that most people pay their bills...and even then, we ain't earning enough to import the stuff to fix things.

You can call me a liar for all I know, you can even say I am a govt bootlicker. But one thing I know....we have a serious problem, and pretending we don't have it...that makes me sad.

I don't understand you Nigerians. Really I don't.

You recall a report from years back? Provide the link and url to the report so we can read it and verify! If DisCos say they get only 30% of their bills from customers, then they are lying. And if they know their debtors, why can't they go after them to retrieve their unpaid bills? Are those debtors, ghosts or spirits? shocked

DisCos are known for carrying out mass disconnections, when bills remain unpaid. undecided So why haven't they done so? And the bulk of the non-paying customers of the DisCos are govt agencies, barracks, and parastatals. Instead of embarking on a debt recovery drive from such ministries, parastatals and govt agencies, the DisCos prefer to burden the poor masses, and other residential consumers by inflicting higher tariffs on them. Why?

As for whether you are a liar or not, the kind of case you have been making for the DisCos, shows you are definitely one. In fact you labelled yourself as a 'bootlicker.' And I agree totally. That description suits you. Now, tell your paymasters that you have tried to help them sell their bad market called increased electricity tariffs, but it isn't working, because people are now much wiser, than they used to be. undecided

And members of the public do not have an inexhaustible supply of funds to cater for every form of exploitation, that the DisCos want to inflict upon them.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by dfrost: 3:24am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Before we grumble...consider a few facts

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

2.We need anything between $300-900billion to get light 24/7.

3.Privatization means that you pay more from your pocket.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

5.Electricity is not a free lunch.

[/b]

I agree with what you postulated. Bottom line PHCN should issue everyone with prepaid meters so we can regulate what we use

Simple.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nigeriadondie1: 6:29am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Before we grumble...consider a few facts

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

2.We need anything between $300-900billion to get light 24/7.

3.Privatization means that you pay more from your pocket.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

5.Electricity is not a free lunch.

MODIFIED

To all that responded to me, thank you very much.

I just want to leave this fact for you guys...

We need $300 BILLION to get light 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our foreign reserve is $40billion. Let that sink in...and then we can talk.
I agree with u that electricity in Nigeria is cheap but dont forget that the people who are d consumer are very poor. In countries where they pay high bills have higher purchasing power and as such cud meet up with the demand of higher bills.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by israelmao(m): 7:17am On Mar 21, 2018
How regular is power supply?How many households have pre-pay meters?So many things are going wrong with this present government across all sectors.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:

And thus ur blaming Nigerians for lack of electricity?

We We don't need 300 - 900 billion dollars to generate the needed electricity in Nigeria.

300 billion dollars can build plants to generate 3GW, i.e 300,000 MW which far far more than we need.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

You recall a report from years back? Provide the link and url to the report so we can read it and verify! If DisCos say they get only 30% of their bills from customers, then they are lying. And if they know their debtors, why can't they go after them to retrieve their unpaid bills? Are those debtors, ghosts or spirits? shocked

DisCos are known for carrying out mass disconnections, when bills remain unpaid. undecided So why haven't they done so? And the bulk of the non-paying customers of the DisCos are govt agencies, barracks, and parastatals. Instead of embarking on a debt recovery drive from such ministries, parastatals and govt agencies, the DisCos prefer to burden the poor masses, and other residential consumers by inflicting higher tariffs on them. Why?

As for whether you are a liar or not, the kind of case you have been making for the DisCos, shows you are definitely one. In fact you labelled yourself as a 'bootlicker.' And I agree totally. That description suits you. Now, tell your paymasters that you have tried to help them sell their bad market called increased electricity tariffs, but it isn't working, because people are now much wiser, than they used to be. undecided

And members of the public do not have an inexhaustible supply of funds to cater for every form of exploitation, that the DisCos want to inflict upon them.

No such thing as free lunch

No such thing as free lunch

there is no such such thing as a free lunch,
There is no such thing a social security lock box,
Then why do the politician types,
Talk to us and give us all this hype,

They know better than that,
But do we better than them?

This is problem in our society,
We are all looking for something free!

Some look for free lunches,
Other for tax loop holes,
Still other look for us,
They don't have to plot or plan, they think we won't listen,
And these are our politicians!

They go to Washington,
And learn how to get around,
In this process they find out,
What politics is really all about!

it is about robbing Peter to pay Paul,
They explain it wasn't reall a robbery,
It is just like a game.

You see in the world of politics,
There are no rights and wrongs.
You are always right until you get caught,
And when you are caught,
Your defense is without a doubt,
Well they elected me,
Obviously they wanted me,
To serve this nation and provide,
More jobs and a great deal of pride.
I've done both and now I boast,
I did it different then most.
I lied!

N. Bagratuni.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 21, 2018
PrecisionFx:

And thus ur blaming Nigerians for lack of electricity?

We We don't need 300 - 900 billion dollars to generate the needed electricity in Nigeria.

300 billion dollars can build plants to generate 3GW, i.e 300,000 MW which far far more than we need.

Actually $100bn is needed to fix the transmission system....

The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, said close to 10 billion dollars about N1.6 trillion investment was needed to double the power generation capacity of the country.

Nebo disclosed this when he made a presentation to the National Conference Committee on Energy in Abuja on Tuesday.

He also noted that Nigeria needed over 300 billion dollars investment in the power sector for it to meet the power generation of South Africa.

The minister said that South Africa which was a little more than one-quarter of the population of Nigeria was generating 10 times power than Nigeria.

“The implication is that South Africa is generating per capita, 40 times what Nigeria is generating.

“If Nigeria were to be at par with South Africa we should be generating 160,000 megawatts, no doubt about that.

“We must note that if that were to happen in Nigeria, the minimum that government will need to put in place would be over US$300 billion and no government on earth can do that.

“Even to double our capacity, in generation alone, the minimum investment needed to double our capacity as at today is close to $10 billion.

“On transmission infrastructure and the distribution infrastructure, Nigeria has to devote about 100 per cent of its annual budget to power alone and yet not meet the target,’’ Nebo said.

He said that the current administration under its transformation agenda had embarked on several efforts, including the privatisation of PHCN, to transform the standards of living of Nigerians.

He said that was the reason government invited private investors to invest in the sector.

http://www.spotlightreports.com.ng/10bn-investment-required-double-power-generation-nigeria-nebo/
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by patonyx1: 8:37am On Mar 21, 2018
The useless NERC wouldn't initiate better ideas to improve the electricity firstly, rather than increase the tariffs.

They're there to regulate (benefit) their pockets and the DISCOs. undecided
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by waveman2: 8:47am On Mar 21, 2018
My friend ur just an arsenal lack of thinking is depleting ur brain cells. Bcoz u,ve narrowly escaped poverty through the petition salary u collect u don't think of others during I poverty everyday in this country to make such a ridiculous statement. It people like u that has made this country backward. Youth of our generation. Spew.

LaudableXX:

I pay my taxes and I have been doing so for years, ever since I started my career. sad My PAYE tax is deducted at source by my employers and remitted directly to the tax authorities, while my tax clearance card gets updated regularly. And yes, I live in a neighbourhood where we still fix our roads, because waiting for govt to do so, would mean waiting for eternity. This is because my neighbours and I cannot allow the potholes become craters, so that they do not damage our cars and lead us to spend far greater sums of money fixing such cars. undecided

When the govt or its agencies who are supposed to fix the roads, have neglected to do so, despite repeated notifications and constant complaints to the relevant parties, do you expect me and my neighbours to hold a gun to the heads of the staff of those govt agencies, to get the roads fixed? So why da heck are you talking as if payment of taxes leads to an automatic provision of services or utilities, by the govt, in Nigeria? shocked

Stop playing to the gallery, please. You are beginning to sound clueless..... undecided How many of those senators earning 13.5 million monthly have you been able to compel to carry out their jobs? And if a revolution starts today, will you be in the forefront to lead it? shocked Kindly try and stuff your silliness in your side pocket and keep your mouth shut, so that you do not show everyone how truly empty your brain cells are.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by waveman2: 8:55am On Mar 21, 2018
ThankGod for ur wisdom it shows u, really not stupid after all. U just need to think a little. Rome was not built in a day, things are done one step at a time. I would like to talk more more on this matter with u cos I can see u,re intelligent and not all this kids on NL.

Cromcruach91:

If we cut all the salaries of all the politicans...how much would we have?

Probably 2 trillion naira.....

OK....why should we spend it on light....and not on education (N3 trillion for universities alone) or rail (at least N2 trillion)

Plus., we need $300billion....and our reserve is just $40billion.

See the problem?

My friend, I did not insult you...yet you insulted me. It does not matter...but don't make it a habit when talking to others for Asclepius' sake!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 21, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Actually $100bn is needed to fix the transmission system....

Bring a major news media link to back up this ur claim from nebo which is obviously fatally wrong.

Like i said 100 billion dollars would comfortably generate 2GW (talk more of 900 billion dollars, almost a trillion), we don't need that for now.

We need as little as 60,000MW now to get unlimited power supply across nigeria n to kick off towards industrialization.

Now no need to argue these issues, Go and make a research to find out how much it costs to generate 1000MW on average n then narrow it down to find its costs in Nigeria as a result of our cheap labour.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 21, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Bring a major news media link to back up this ur claim from nebo which is obviously fatally wrong.

Like i said 100 billion dollars would comfortably generate 2GW (talk more of 900 billion dollars, almost a trillion), we don't need that for now.

We need as little as 60,000MW now to get unlimited power supply across nigeria n to kick off towards industrialization.

Now no need to argue these issues, Go and make a research to find out how much it costs to generate 1000MW on average n then narrow it down to find its costs in Nigeria as a result of our cheap labour.

I'll do you one better,
The Guardian Energy

Breaking News: Dapchi girls freed by abductors X

Energy
‘Nigeria needs $900 billion to fix energy sector in 30 years’
By Sulaimon Salau
13 April 2016 | 2:46 am
powerPower supply challenges may jeopardise vision 2020 agenda
For Nigeria to properly fix the challenges bedevilling its energy sector, the nation requires about $ 900 billion to further develop the sector over the next 30 years.

The statistics revealed by the organisers of the on-going Nigeria Energy Forum at Oriental Hotel, Lekki, Lagos, said the nation also needed no fewer than $ 10 billion in the next few years to reinstate its power infrastructure.

According to Innovation and Strategy Lead official, Mrs Bamise Olanrewaju, the forum, which focused on “Energy Access Targets”, is targeted at ensuring that leaders take ambitious decisions to bridge the wide gap between energy demand and supply in Nigeria, in order to achieve national energy access targets and meet the new United Nation Sustainable Development Goals.

Olanrewaju, in statement made available to The Guardian said, in other to attract private investment in the sector, “Nigeria has to build new power plants, develop new gas transmission infrastructure, expand the existing electricity transmission and distribution network, develop local manufacturing capabilities for energy systems equipment, and train professionals to operate and maintain the energy system”.

Besides, she added that government also needed to develop innovative incentives and mechanisms to leverage private sector investment for development of the energy sector.

Lamenting the poor state of the sector in recent times, she pointed out that Nigeria is currently the largest economy in Africa with a population of over 170 million people, of which about 50 per cent of the population have no access to the national electricity grid and only 18 per cent of people living in rural areas have grid access.

“The nation has a peak electricity demand of 13000 Mega Watts with an installed on-grid generation capacity of 7500 MW, of which only 4000 MW is operable. About 90 per cent of industrial consumers and a significant number of residential and non-residential consumers provide their own power at huge cost to themselves and the Nigerian economy,” she stated.

These technical barriers, according to her, would constrain economic growth and setback Nigeria’s target of being among the world’s top 20 economies by 2020.

To address these grand challenges, the Federal Government has been implementing a Power Sector Reform to privatize electricity generation and distribution companies, increase private investment and develop a market-based economy for the power sector.

NEF 2016 is hosted on the platform of the Nigerian Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (NIEEE), a division of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE).

The group however lamented that women are adversely affected by the lack of renewable energy solutions, as they are most often the primary energy managers in their households.

“This is especially true in developing countries, where women do the cooking and cleaning but lack access to electricity. They often use unsafe methods like kerosene or fires,” it stated.

3 Comments
Sponsored Links
3 million kids are learning English with this app. Download it and start the Free Trial!
Lingokids | Download on Google Play
Sponsored Links You May Like
How To Buy US Mega Millions From Your Sofa?
24lottos
Drive A Luxury Car Worth Owning - These Are The World's Best
Braincherry
Sponsored Links
Flight Prices You're Not Allowed to See!
Save70.com
The 8 Most Important Steps To Start Your Own Business
Bored Articles
The 10 Worst Countries To Raise Kids & A Family
WomensArticle
Sponsored Links
Top 20 magnificent eyes from around world
WoJournals
Top 5: New Luxury SUVs
SUV | Sponsored Links
Boost Your Metabolism Using This Natural Solution!
Row Road for Advocare
Sponsored Links
Playing US MegaMillions From Your Mobile Has Never Been So Easy
24lottos
Thanks to This site, You Can Now Play the USA Lottery
24lottos
How Much Do These 10 Celebs Pay For Home Insurance ?
Braincherry

Recommended For You
Babangida’s son, Mohammed for Niger East Senate seat
Pastor’s wife dies during service, for burial tomorrow
RELATED

NERC introduces new meter regulations to eliminate estimated billing
6 hours ago

Eni boosts corporate social responsibility in IDP areas
6 hours ago

AfDB strategises towards provision of power to rural communities
6 hours ago

Manufacturers raise the alarm over meter ownership monopoly