Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation (23483 Views)

Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs / NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

In 2002...we paid 10000-20000 for sim cards...and got bad service, high costs, etc.

Them money was used to improve things.

Same for eelctricity

We need $300billion for the thing to improve/ for light to be 24 hours a day, seven days a week.. Our foreign reserve is $40bn. So...who is going to pay? It is us...or we beg IMF. Comprende?

Yeah right

The NEPA situation has only gotten worse over time - you’re witness to that if you’ll be honest, because it’s not well structured, it’s not organized, no aims or goals and shouldn’t be compared with network providers and that where mostly foreigners as of then (we know how foreigners live very different from the way we do here)...

How long has NEPA been in existence? Now compare it to how long we’ve had GSM

No be fight sha.... I’m not paying for something I’m not getting shekina!

If NEPA comes and says “pay high tariffs now o, so that in the next so so and so years we would have so so and so megawatts” then I would reason with them. But with their track record, let me pay for something I’m actually using for now

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

Wrong!! angry The Federal Government only divested its interest in the six GenCos, while selling off 60% of its shares in the eleven (11) DisCos to private operators. The federal govt still owns 40% shares in these DisCos, and the Transmission Company still remains fully under government ownership.

Which still means that they are (largely) in private hands....and generation too is in prviate hands.

You still have not answered the ultimate quesiton...which is where we are going to even get the $300million to fix up things.

Keep in mind that I am not defending poor service, or Buhari or GEJ....I am just stating the facts...and what we need to improve things...and it is bigger than you or i think.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
deenee:
We need $300 BILLION to get light 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our foreign reserve is $40billion. Let that sink in...and then we can talk. God bless you.

No individual, company or state can tax its way into prosperity, or raise its prices above the consumer's ability to pay. Let govt look for various other ways of raising the $300 billion USD instead of subjecting citizens to further blackout, and huge increases in rates that will cause further hardship! Let that sink in!!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
Thoniameek:

Yeah right

The NEPA situation has only gotten worse over time - you’re witness to that if you’ll be honest, because it’s not well structured, it’s not organized, no aims or goals and shouldn’t be compared with network providers and that where mostly foreigners as of then (we know how foreigners live very different from the way we do here)...

How long has NEPA been in existence? Now compare it to how long we’ve had GSM

No be fight sha.... I’m not paying for something I’m not getting shekina!

If NEPA comes and says “pay high tariffs now o, so that in the next so so and so years we would have so so and so megawatts” then I would reason with them. But with their track record, let me pay for something I’m actually using for now

Back in the days of NEPA...most people and govt agencies were not paying their bills.

Nowadays...the same thing still happens.(A disco official told this to a relative who is in charge of a govt agency..when said relative demanded why bills were being so high....and fyi..that govt agency does pay bills.).

That's a big part of why things are not improving...we are sabotaging the process .
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Which still means that they are (largely) in private hands....and generation too is in prviate hands.

You still have not answered the ultimate quesiton...which is where we are going to even get the $300million to fix up things.

Keep in mind that I am not defending poor service, or Buhari or GEJ....I am just stating the facts...and what we need to improve things...and it is bigger than you or i think.

Let govt put on their thinking caps, and look for different ways to fund the sector, instead of creating further hardship for the masses by making them pay more, for epileptic electricity supply. Govt has a huge source of opportunities and funding options, available to it. The masses do NOT. You are defending poor service, so stop the pretence.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by emoa2002(m): 3:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Power has been in private hands since 2014....and it is run by DISCOS and GENCOS...not by the govt.

So they should exploit the masses, they are even not doing the needful, no steady electricity but charge exorbitantly, moreover where are the prepaid meters.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

No individual, company or state can tax its way into prosperity, or raise its prices above the consumer's ability to pay. Let govt look for various other ways of raising the $300 billion USD instead of subjecting citizens to further blackout, and huge increases in rates that will cause further hardship! Let that sink in!!

So, what other ways do we raise the money?

I only see one other way...and that is a big fat LOAN....which you Nigerians will promptly complain about.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
ultron12345:
so all of Nigeria's money will be put into power? education nko, health nko, transport nko, what about salaries. Someone said we need about $500bn -$900bn to make power work, calculate how many years it will take Nigeria to get that money

How were able to divide the money to include all those other things you mentioned? That are still not even working and I pay tax!

They can’t pay salaries (many people have died try to get the money they worked for)

The health system is appalling and don’t even start with education or transportation and I pay tax!

My point, NEPA like every other thing will not work with the foundation that this country is build upon and system it is being run with.

I would not allow those thieves steal from my coffers.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Megaideas(f): 3:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Land of exploitation! Pay more for nothing? Confusion Galore!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Back in the days of NEPA...most people and govt agencies were not paying their bills.

Nowadays...the same thing still happens.(A disco official told this to a relative who is in charge of a govt agency..when said relative demanded why bills were being so high....and fyi..that govt agency does pay bills.).

That's a big part of why things are not improving...we are sabotaging the process .

Oga, I told you before to stop talking as if you are not a Nigerian. undecided Who are the MOST people that were not paying electricity bills? Who are the liars that conjured up this phrase? Most individuals and commercial enterprises have often paid their bills, right from time. The chronic debtors are the barracks, govt agencies and parastatals. sad So let the DISCOs and Gencos go after those ones and leave the poor masses alone.

They increased electricity bills about 18-24 months ago, using these same excuses! shocked There were little or no improvements. Now, they have come back again to try and increase electricity tariff using similar excuses. Dem think say we be mumu? angry
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by purplekayc(m): 3:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
Where is the light they're increasing tariff on ?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

Let govt put on their thinking caps, and look for different ways to fund the sector, instead of creating further hardship for the masses by making them pay more, for epileptic electricity supply. Govt has a huge source of opportunities and funding options, available to it. The masses do NOT. You are defending poor service, so stop the pretence.

Well, looks like we would end up taking another loan...or continuing having bad service.

You cannot give what you don't have. I'm sorry...but that is the truth.

If we don't pay more for light...we won't have the improvement we need.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

All in all, I will not follow a blind process. Let their aim(s) be made known to all.

Why am I paying high tariffs for little or no light? Answer: Because we want to improve our services and need the money

How soon/how long would this take? Answer:

How much improvement should we be expecting? Answer:

They should have calculated all this before knowing the amount to increase the tariff to, if not, they should go back to their drawing board

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:18pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Chief...I hear you

But the thing is..as i said...we STILL need...$300billion to get light 24/7. Our reserve is just 40 billion.

Where are we going to get the money from?

Since you guys don't want an increase...then let us take a loan.

Good afternoon. It is not wickedness to tell the truth. Truth is...we don't want to pay for light. We want it free...and that is not realistic.

Oga, we have heard all these same excuses over and over, in times past. We have witnessed tariff increases that did not improve electricity supply, or attract additional investments in the power sector. Enough is Enough! angry

How did govt improve the telecoms sector? They brought in new foreign investors with expertise, who built their network infrastructure from scratch, developed the market and offered the service. Those who bought up assets in the Gencos and DisCos did not have adequate financial backing, or enough expertise to get the sector on its feet. That is why they have not been able to think outside the box to get a workable solution. shocked

People have advocated for the set up of cluster grids to power various communities. Look at what Turkey did. It is wickedness to advocate that the poor masses whose salaries are fixed, and whose purchasing power are declining daily, should be overloaded with an increase in electricity tariff for epileptic power supply. sad
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oga, we have heard all these same excuses over and over, in times past. We have witnessed tariff increases that did not improve electricity supply, or attract additional investments in the power sector. Enough is Enough!

How did govt improve the telecoms sector? They brought in new investors, who built their infrastructure from scratch, developed the market and offered the service. Those who bought up the assets in the Gencos and DisCos did not have adequate financial backing, or enough expertise to get the sector on its feet. That is why they have not been able to think outside the box to get a workable solution.

People have advocated for the set up of cluster grids to power various communities. Look at what Turkey did. It is wickedness to advocate that the poor masses whose salaries are fixed and whose purchasing power are declining daily, should be overloaded with an increase in electricity tariff for epileptic power supply.

Remember that the GSM companies charged high prices...and their services were bad intially.

But the money they earned from those high prices was used to pay up for the improvements.

I like your grid idea...but it still has to be paid for....
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by ifyalways(f): 3:25pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91 post=:

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana

.[/b]
No we don't.
6 bedroom duplex @Aiport residential (highbrow area) Accra with Atleast 3 A/C working non stop 24 hours and other daily must - use appliances (Freezer, refrigerator, microwave) and our monthly light bill has never been more than 150 ghc (17,000 ngn approx)

Try that in Lekki and be ready to cough out Atleast 50,000 ngn for epileptic power supply

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Remember that the GSM companies charged high prices...and their services were bad intially.

But the money they earned from those high prices was used to pay up for the improvements.

I like your grid idea...but it still has to be paid for....

Your problem is that you are either a foreigner who has not spent a long time in Nigeria, or you are a Nigerian expatriate, who has lost touch with his surroundings within the country. That is why your responses are sounding moronic.

How many people had mobile phones when the foreign GSM companies started operations? Less than 1.5% of the entire Nigerian population. Were there alternatives to mobile phones at that time? Yes. Were people forced to pay the high GSM tariffs for mobile phones? No! Only those who could afford it, paid. Others who could not, ignored the use of mobile phones. How long did the high tariffs last? Less than 3 years. So why do you persist in comparing the telecoms sector, to the electricity sector? shocked

Cromcruach91:
Well, looks like we would end up taking another loan...or continuing having bad service.

You cannot give what you don't have. I'm sorry...but that is the truth.

If we don't pay more for light...we won't have the improvement we need.

You people always advocate paying more for light, as if "paying more" is the solution to all the problems in Nigeria. The bottom line is that those who bought over the DisCos and the GenCos, did not have adequate financial clout, or enough technical expertise to get the sector on its feet.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Cuteamigo1(m): 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

So, where do we get the money to fix things?

Keep in mind that I hate the increase myself....but I see no other way to get the money other than increases.

We have to be realistic.

Or do you have at least $300billion ? That is what we need at least to fix things up. Our forex reserve is $40billion now.
guy forget them, they will never understand. Nigerians want a system that works but they dont want to pay for it. many of the federal roads built in america was not built with government money, the govt taxed all the auto makers ford, gm, Chrysler etc and they in turn transfered the cost to the people through a hike in the price of cars and today they enjoy good roads. no one can be comfortable with A hike in price of electricity but perhaps its just a sacrifice we have to make for things to get better
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
ifyalways:
No we don't.
6 bedroom duplex @Aiport residential (highbrow area) Accra with Atleast 3 A/C working non stop 24 hours and other daily must - use appliances (Freezer, refrigerator, microwave) and our monthly light bill has never been more than 150 ghc (17,000 ngn approx)

Try that in Lekki and be ready to cough out Atleast 50,000 ngn for epileptic power supply

50,000 naira per month, ke? shocked For 24 hours? You will pay nothing less than 80,000 - 150,000 monthly for doing so, in Lekki area in Lagos.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by ifyalways(f): 3:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

50,000 naira per month, ke? shocked For 24 hours? You will pay nothing less than 80,000 - 150,000 monthly for doing so, in Lekki area in Lagos.
Lol
I was being generous.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Annie939(f): 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2018
we always pay more without seeing what we are paying for.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:29pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
guy forget them, they will never understand. Nigerians want a system that works but they dont want to pay for it.

Cut the crap! angry You call exploiting citizens by compelling them to pay more money for poor services, a system that works? Where did you leave your brain? Tell your paymasters that we are not interested in their lies, anymore....

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by davidomowumi: 3:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
nwakibie3:
…Nigeria targets 100,000mw by 2030 –ECN

Isaac Anumihe with agency report

As consumers grapple with high electricity bills across the states, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) yesterday, introduced a new policy that may worsen their plight.

The latest regulation which came into effect on March 8, 2018 and will be enforced by the Commission from April 3, 2018, is aimed at providing standard rules to “encourage the development of independent and competitive meter services, eliminate estimated billing practices, attract private investment to the provision of metering services in NESI, and close the metering gap through accelerated meter roll out to enhance revenue in NES.

According to NERC’s Commissioner, Legal, Licensing and Compliance, Dafe Akpeneye, prepaid meters will soon flood the market with the licensing of 87 meter asset providers (MAPs).But those who will get the new meters under the new regulation will have to pay more.

Akpeneye who spoke with newsmen in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, said MAPs will be independent providers who will be approved by NERC but contracted by the DisCos to bridge the metering gap.

“They are to be saddled with the responsibility of providing meters and replacing faulty devices within 48 hours,” he said.

In Section 10 (5) of the new law, which contains the new provision, an analysis of the Meter Asset Provider Regulations 2018 (Regulation No NERC-R-112) shows that those who benefit under the new system will pay a monthly service charge. Under chapter IV, section 10 (“Rights of Distribution Licensees”), subsection 5, the regulation states: “The Distribution Licensees shall include a metering service charge as a clear item on the billing of its customers provided with meters under an MSA with MAPs and shall be separate from the energy charge. The metering service charge shall be based on the outcome of the procurement process for the MAP and subject to the approval of the Commission.”

Meanwhile, the Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN), has predicted a growth of up to 100,000 megawatts electricity generation in the country by 2030.

ECN’s Director-General, Professor Eli Bala, disclosed this in an interview with the newsmen in Abuja.

Bala said that the projection would be possible with an annual economic growth rate of 7 per cent and steady implementation of the national energy plan by the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.

“With the incremental power programme, every time, every year, we must have increment in power generation.

“We will also increase our capacity to transmit as well as the capacity to distribute.

“So I think we are on course, although it is not easy.

“Very soon, we will get to a level where we will have a 100,000 megawatt or 100 gigawatt by 2030 and the economy growing at the rate of about 7 per cent annually,” he said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/electricity-consumers-to-pay-more-in-new-nerc-regulation/

are we running a power light or a disco light
may that same light strike you all bastard at the federal level..

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by bejeria101(m): 3:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
If you know what is good kindly join me to vote out this useless trial by error government that is clueless beyond measure.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 3:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Before we grumble...consider a few facts

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

2.We need anything between $300-900billion to get light 24/7.

3.Privatization means that you pay more from your pocket.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

5.Electricity is not a free lunch.

MODIFIED

To all that responded to me, thank you very much.

I just want to leave this fact for you guys...

We need $300 BILLION to get light 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our foreign reserve is $40billion. Let that sink in...and then we can talk.

Smart Man
Please tell me why the companies can't supply meter?
meters will help generate revenue
Increase by N10,000.00
The clerk that work in light companies will continue to take briber
No meter how can you bill people
corruption has killed Nigeria
Nigerians need to kill corruption before we can get 24/7 light
I forgive the people selling generator likely paying briber the the light companies
Nigeria is HELL
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Cuteamigo1(m): 3:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

Cut the crap! angry You call exploiting citizens by compelling them to pay for poor services, a system that works? Where did you leave your brain? Tell your paymasters that we are not interested in their lies, anymore....
i dont exchange words with kids? we you grow up and learn to talk without insulting people then we can talk.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Queenserah26(f): 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
Not again
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
i dont exchange words with kids? we you grow up and learn to talk without insulting people then we can talk.
The issue here is not about age
Are you asking Nigerians to pay for poor and bad services
No meters
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 3:38pm On Mar 20, 2018
1. Every Nigerian should have been on pre-paid meter by now.
2. Many Nigerians do not like paying for electricity even those with pre-paid meter have idiots bypassing the meter and using free light with many hardly switching off during the day. I wonder how they are expecting government to raise money.
3. The PHCN officials are corrupt while the DISCOs and Gencos are bunch of insincere people. This is also related to point 2.
4. A lawyer has no business heading Ministry of Power, works and housing. Call me biased, that's your cup of tea!

We can argue from now till eternity, we will not see any improvement in Power except stupid tariff increases if these 4 points are not tackled.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 3:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
[b]guy forget them, they will never understand. Nigerians want a system that works [/b]but they dont want to pay for it. many of the federal roads built in america was not built with government money, the govt taxed all the auto makers ford, gm, Chrysler etc and they in turn transfered the cost to the people through a hike in the price of cars and today they enjoy good roads. no one can be comfortable with A hike in price of electricity but perhaps its just a sacrifice we have to make for things to get better
" guy forget them, they will never understand. Nigerians" --- Really
Nigerian want to pay for petroleum . have their money
But our government can't supply petroleum (gas) -- shame
There are toll gate in Nigeria and Nigerian are paying for the toll gate but the road are hell

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by OBAGADAFFI: 3:42pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Generation in Nigeria is 7000mw..we lose 2000mw due to bad transmission system.

We need 10000mw to power Lagos alone....

South Africa generated 44000MW

You do the math

I agree with decentralization.

The solution is to allow investors Generate, transmit and distribute the energy, without government interference, not just spending money like previous government .

Currently the GENCOs are being owned in billions, Gas suppliers are threatening to stop supplying, while DISCOs are dancing to the bank.

You probably don't know that DISCOs are raking-in billions every month without any improvement in their services.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Customs Seizes ₦‎200M Dry Donkey Meat Cargo Heading To South-East / Senator Sekibo's Son Graduates From Medical School (Photos) / Delegates Complain Of Starvation At PDP Presidential Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.