Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation (23490 Views)

Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs / NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:
Before we grumble...consider a few facts

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

2.We need anything between $300-900billion to get light 24/7.

3.Privatization means that you pay more from your pocket.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

5.Electricity is not a free lunch.

Ok Sir... Where’s the light I’m paying for?

The country you mentioned get the light they pay for

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 20, 2018
McCobble:
Bossman, what is the need of paying for rotten tomtoes? most businees in Nigeria depends on alternative source to power there business, electricity is sooooooooooooo unstable in Nigeria my brother. improve before asking for more money.

Great, where do they get the money to improve?

McCobble thinks they would get it from the Amazing Money Magic Box.

GSM, when it came into the country was charging N10000-20000 for sim card. That money they earned from high fares was used to build all the new facilties that enable you to enjoy their services better...and also to eventually cut prices.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by ultron12345: 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2018
Thoniameek:

will the government create the light from sand
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Mcreloaded(m): 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2018
Where is water board?
Where is NiTEL?
Where is NIPOST?
No where so will it be for NEPA given time.
In the late 80s it was not easy to get water and the cost of sinking a bore hole was very high because government put a huge import duty on pumping machine and the masses suffered till the intervention of the UN now people can easily sink their own bore hole.
Government have also increased the import duty of solar panels and battery but with time God willing the price of solar panels and battery with inverters will drop then NEPA will be no more maybe only to provide electricity for companies and industries.
NEPA be warned ur days are numbered go and ask NITEL and Water Board how market and NIPOST just to name a few.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by crafteck(m): 2:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

As it is, everyone dey fear to on ac, soon we go dey fear to charge phone

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Ten06(m): 2:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
Is it light we are paying for or darkness? Continue deceiving yourself

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by showafrica(m): 2:18pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Privatizing anything that will not be competitive in Nigeria will not work. The govt will still find away to make it unworkable. Imagine if mtn was the only gsm network allowed in Nigeria, bros we no go fit buy simcards.

The issue of electricity Tarrif will get very high that it will be cheaper to run generator. Remember the only hope of Nigerian govt is oil and if the govt discovers that Nigerians are no longer buying fuel due to electricity, they will find a way to make it terrible to get. Already they increased my electricity bill by 400% even though our transformer is not good. If it is competitive, we would have joined another transformer from another company but here we dont have a choice than to pay for darkness. Shhithole

5 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by princetom1(m): 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

And I just know you have $900BILLION to pay up to fix the lights in Nigeria.

I hate the fact of the increase...but the alternative is us taking loans, loans , loans.

Even if we give Nigerian government 2 trillion dollars today... In 10 years, u will hardly see improvement. By the way, am nt against tariff hike bt let me have my correct bill, nt that crazy bill of what am nt using... In saner climes, people know how to manage electricity because they pay for every watt they waste

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by pokipoki: 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
nwakibie3:
…Nigeria targets 100,000mw by 2030 –ECN

Isaac Anumihe with agency report

As consumers grapple with high electricity bills across the states, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) yesterday, introduced a new policy that may worsen their plight.

The latest regulation which came into effect on March 8, 2018 and will be enforced by the Commission from April 3, 2018, is aimed at providing standard rules to “encourage the development of independent and competitive meter services, eliminate estimated billing practices, attract private investment to the provision of metering services in NESI, and close the metering gap through accelerated meter roll out to enhance revenue in NES.

According to NERC’s Commissioner, Legal, Licensing and Compliance, Dafe Akpeneye, prepaid meters will soon flood the market with the licensing of 87 meter asset providers (MAPs).But those who will get the new meters under the new regulation will have to pay more.

Akpeneye who spoke with newsmen in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, said MAPs will be independent providers who will be approved by NERC but contracted by the DisCos to bridge the metering gap.

“They are to be saddled with the responsibility of providing meters and replacing faulty devices within 48 hours,” he said.

In Section 10 (5) of the new law, which contains the new provision, an analysis of the Meter Asset Provider Regulations 2018 (Regulation No NERC-R-112) shows that those who benefit under the new system will pay a monthly service charge. Under chapter IV, section 10 (“Rights of Distribution Licensees”), subsection 5, the regulation states: “The Distribution Licensees shall include a metering service charge as a clear item on the billing of its customers provided with meters under an MSA with MAPs and shall be separate from the energy charge. The metering service charge shall be based on the outcome of the procurement process for the MAP and subject to the approval of the Commission.”

Meanwhile, the Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN), has predicted a growth of up to 100,000 megawatts electricity generation in the country by 2030.

ECN’s Director-General, Professor Eli Bala, disclosed this in an interview with the newsmen in Abuja.

Bala said that the projection would be possible with an annual economic growth rate of 7 per cent and steady implementation of the national energy plan by the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing.

“With the incremental power programme, every time, every year, we must have increment in power generation.

“We will also increase our capacity to transmit as well as the capacity to distribute.

“So I think we are on course, although it is not easy.

“Very soon, we will get to a level where we will have a 100,000 megawatt or 100 gigawatt by 2030 and the economy growing at the rate of about 7 per cent annually,” he said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/electricity-consumers-to-pay-more-in-new-nerc-regulation/
Hahahaha. When most homes don't get electricity for 8 hours a day? Some funny government!!! The earlier people get solar energy system the better.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by ultron12345: 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

GSM, when it came into the country was charging N10000-20000 for sim card. That money they earned from high fares was used to build all the new facilties that enable you to enjoy their services better...and also to eventually cut prices.

dont mind them, all Nigerians care about us today, they don't care about 2moro. I was just laughing when Nigerians rejected fuel subsidy removal, are they not suffering it now. Nigerians have very poor knowledge of economics, even the so called educated ones. That's how some senseless people will be fighting for increase in minimum wage without knowing that they are indirectly fight for further devaluation of the naira and inflation
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
Thoniameek:

The fare we are paying for in Nigeria...is very low.

For example...i used to pay N10000 at my previous place on estimated billing.
At my current place on meter it is N2000 (ALL prices per month).

And thing is...most people in my DISCO's catchment area don't pay bills.

So..where are they going to get the money to make things better?

Govt has hands off the thing...

And they are private companies...

Meanwhile in Ghana....service charge per month is 51000 naira.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Hofbrauhaus(m): 2:20pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

You are a complete foolish slave.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by McCobble(m): 2:22pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

I guess from the one you and I have been paying them for ages with little or no service rendered.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hofbrauhaus:

You are a complete foolish slave.

So, where do we get the money to fix things?

Keep in mind that I hate the increase myself....but I see no other way to get the money other than increases.

We have to be realistic.

Or do you have at least $300billion ? That is what we need at least to fix things up. Our forex reserve is $40billion now.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 20, 2018
princetom1:

Even if we give Nigerian government 2 trillion dollars today... In 10 years, u will hardly see improvement. By the way, am nt against tariff hike bt let me have my correct bill, nt that crazy bill of what am nt using... In saner climes, people know how to manage electricity because they pay for every watt they waste

But govt does not run power.

DISCOS and GENCOS have been in charge since 2014...and they are all PRIVATE companies.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 20, 2018
ultron12345:
will the government create the light from sand

Where’s the money from the explored and exploited Natural resources?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by McCobble(m): 2:24pm On Mar 20, 2018
ultron12345:
and which money will be used to improve electricity, does money fall from trees.
I guess from the one you and I have been paying them for ages with little or no service rendered.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by BanevsJoker(m): 2:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
Strongbest:
We just keep paying more for everything. Thank God the government is not in charge of the air we breathe.

https://www.nairaland.com/1798724/
They are in charge of it oh. Tinubu just incorporated it in Land Use Charge. Everyone must pay. No alternative route in that one. If you don't own a house in Lagos, your landlord will increase your rent to cover it.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by emoa2002(m): 2:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Just imagine what you saying, that money one useless politician will collect and put in his pocket, at the expense of the masses and the same masses will pay high rate in electricity and fuel while the thieves called politicians get them free abi

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by shallysgirl: 2:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

The first step is to make sure everyone has a pay as you go meter. No more estimated bills.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by optimus09: 2:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
A false premise there.We pay lower than Ghana"..you said.Do we have 24 hrs light like Ghana?if we are to pay in proportion to the energy given,we are even paying more than we should.why dint they give us prepaid meter?Go to their office they'll tell you its not available.Someone like you with your small wikko phone is telling us "electricity is not free lunch"..abeg erase.Why privatize?1.The government cannot continue to fund the parastatal so we are liable to pay.We should also be able to get more power and not been over billed on what we never used.Ghana never spent billions to get power like we spend here.CORRUPTION !!! Is all that is the bane of us not getting consistent power.so bro go chill inside your hot room.
Cromcruach91:

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

The fare we are paying for in Nigeria...is very low.

For example...i used to pay N10000 at my previous place on estimated billing.
At my current place on meter it is N2000 (ALL prices per month).

And thing is...most people in my DISCO's catchment area don't pay bills.

So..where are they going to get the money to make things better?

Govt has hands off the thing...

And they are private companies...

Meanwhile in Ghana....service charge per month is 51000 naira.

And this explains why I should pay for something I’m not getting?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
emoa2002:

Just imagine what you saying, that money one useless politician will collect and put in his pocket, at the expense of the masses and the same masses will pay high rate in electricity and fuel while the thieves called politicians get them free abi

Power has been in private hands since 2014....and it is run by DISCOS and GENCOS...not by the govt.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Femmedy: 2:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cromcruach91:

Can you just be real for once, Tell me that product or commodity which we have been promised in the past to enjoy in abundance after increase in price or tariff that has favoured Nigerians. Dude, this country is one big scam.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
optimus09:
A false premise there.We pay lower than Ghana"..you said.Do we have 24 hrs light like Ghana?if we are to pay in proportion to the energy given,we are even paying more than we should.why dint they give us prepaid meter?Go to their office they'll tell you its not available.Someone like you with your small wikko phone is telling us "electricity is not free lunch"..abeg erase.Why privatize?1.The government cannot continue to fund the parastatal so we are liable to pay.We should also be able to get more power and not been over billed on what we never used.Ghana never spent billions to get power like we spend here.CORRUPTION !!! Is all that is the bane of us not getting consistent power.so bro go chill inside your hot room.

Even with prepaid meters...some people still find ways to bypass them.

No matter how much you shout at me...it does not change the fact that we need the money to make things better....and the money is not a small amount. So...either your bills go up...or govt takes a big loan from mother IMF and Father world Bank.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Ezi39: 2:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
It is simply diving headlong into new risky business venture. You cannot continue with a business that those patronising you are not comfortable with your bills. So hiking it is senseless fatality and would lead to nothing.
The question begging for an answer is how much have been paid from the present bills. I don't know of other areas. In my area, we are not responding to the "killer" bills. Just get your money set on the day the ladder men will come and you are as good as go. They even preferred settling them to paying the bill itself.
This is just one of the results of imposing "killer" bills on consumers. Somebody that is living in one room where he is paying let's say N3,000 and you are giving him N4,000 bill! It is not justified.Those who are from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, whose financial capacity cannot afford the astronomical bills will not relocate to another country.
Let's see who will leave Nigeria for anther.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
Femmedy:

Can you just be real for once, Tell me that product or commodity which we have been promised in the past to enjoy in abundance after increase in price or tariff that has favoured Nigerians. Dude, this country is one big scam.

GSM!

Prices were sky high back in 2002....and service was bad.

The money earned from the sky high prices was used to pay for improvements to the infrastructure which meant better services...and eventually prices came down.

Scam or not...we need money to fix power in this country...and since it has been privatized...we are paying for the pleasure.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Femmedy: 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
Moreover, why are they not talking about giving every household prepaid meters first. I am being charged based on estimate (estimated bill) at an abnormal high rate, now that they want to increase it.... they should kukuma come and collect all my salary naa. Gullible nigerians will still like this stupid idea. even when they are putting the cart before the horse.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Gkemz: 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
Government that wants to make life miserable for her citizens.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by ultron12345: 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2018
Thoniameek:

Where’s the money from the explored and exploited Natural resources?
so all of Nigeria's money will be put into power? education nko, health nko, transport nko, what about salaries. Someone said we need about $500bn -$900bn to make power work, calculate how many years it will take Nigeria to get that money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

President Buhari Visits Imo Today To Commission Projects / Again, States Seek Another Bailout, Osun Worst Hit / Inside Saraki’s ‘secret’ Meeting With Sheriff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.