Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation (23487 Views)

Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs / NERC: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity From April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 3:42pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

The issue here is not about age
Are you asking Nigerians to pay for poor and bad services
No meters
What about regions that have this prepaid meter and 16 to 20hrs of light per day. Why are Nigerians still bypassing their pre-paid meter? What is stopping them from paying this time?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 3:42pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:
1. Every Nigerian should have been on pre-paid meter by now.
2. Many Nigerians do not like paying for electricity even those with pre-paid meter have idiots bypassing the meter and using free light with many hardly switching off during the day. I wonder how they are expecting government to raise money.
3. The PHCN officials are corrupt while the DISCOs and Gencos are bunch of insincere people. This is also related to point 2.
4. A lawyer has no business heading Ministry of Power, works and housing. Call me biased, that's your cup of tea!

We can argue from now till eternity, we will not see any improvement in Power except stupid tariff increases if these 4 points are not tackled.
I know people who have paid for pre pay meter
They are still waiting to get meter
Please cut your BS

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:43pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
i dont exchange words with kids? we you grow up and learn to talk without insulting people then we can talk.

No sir, you are the kid. undecided A very clueless one. If you actually had a paying job with a fixed salary, and you had a list of bills to pay monthly, (and you are not a crooked person making money illegally on the side), you would not advocate for an increase in electricity rates, with such flippancy. sad Govt has spent millions/trillions on the power sector since 2009, with little or nothing to show for it. What on earth makes you think that if the masses are exploited to pay more for the current state of epileptic power supply, anything would improve? shocked

Nigeria spent N2.7tr on power in 16 years | ENERGY BUSINESS DIGEST |

A whopping sum of N2.74 trillion has so far been spent in attempts to improve power supply in Nigeria since 1999 to date, a Senate ad-hoc committee investigating investments in the power sector in the last 16 years has been told. The arrow head of the Federal Ministry of Power, Amb. Godknows Igali said: “From 1999 to date, 1.56 trillion was appropriated to us but actually only N948bn was released to the Ministry and the entire agencies under it. This amount covers all the entire investments in value chain.

He added that from 2009 to 2013, the sum of N155bn was also invested by the federal government to cushion the effect of the shortfall in the investment in the sector. Amb. Igali made the disclosures while addressing the first session of the Senate Probe Panel on the investments in the power sector since 1999 recently inaugurated by the Senate President. The 14-man probe panel is being headed by Senator Abubakar Kyari (APC, Borno North).

The Managing Director of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company Mr. James Olotu on his part said the 10 Independent Power Plants in the country got 8.234 billion dollars (N1.6 trillion)...... http://energybizdigest.com.ng/nigeria-spent-n2-7tr-on-power-in-16-years/
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

I know people who have paid for pre pay meter
They are still waiting to get meter
Please cut your BS
And the ones that have nko, why are they bypassing it? On my street alone in Abuja I can point to you 5 houses that bypassed their prepaid meter. Light is fairly good in my area, what is their excuse for bypassing the prepaid meter?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 3:46pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

What about regions that have this prepaid meter and 16 to 20hrs of light per day. Why are Nigerians still bypassing their pre-paid meter? What is stopping them from paying this time?
Power companies need to have their private police ( investigators)
Charge individuals stealing Light to court federal case
The power company people that do the investigation get briber -- corruption
EFFC need to use some of their clerks for EG
Nigeria problem is deep
Nigerian killing Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:48pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

Don't be silly. sad How many Nigerians (out of the entire number of those who have pre-paid meters) are bypassing their pre-paid meters? How many? Did you do a survey?

Can't the electricity companies invest in technology that cuts off power supply to a premises, once the pre-paid meters are tampered with? shocked Have the DisCos lost the way to the police station, that they are unable to report those who engage in this illegal practice? In cases like this, the staff of the DisCos are even complicit in such acts! angry

There are NO regions that have this prepaid meter and 16 to 20 hours of light per day! Don't tell such huge lies, please! angry

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Layman24: 3:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
[quote author=Cromcruach91 post=65999045]Before we grumble...consider a few facts

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

2.We need anything between $300-900billion to get light 24/7.

3.Privatization means that you pay more from your pocket.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

5.Electricity is not a free lunch.

MODIFIED

To all that responded to me, thank you very much.

I just want to leave this fact for you guys...

[b]We need $300 BILLION to get light 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our foreign reserve is $40billion. Let that sink in...and then we can talk.
COUNTRIES LIKE TANZANIA A 3BED ROOM FLAT IS PAYING EQUIVALENT OF N500 AND GERMANY IS BEGGING FOR WHO WILL CONSUME LIGHT FOR FREE.
MY GHANA TRAVELER DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by 2shur: 3:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
abeg i dey find prepaid meter for sale o.
who has for sale
i af 20k
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 3:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

Power companies need to have there private police ( investigate)
Charge individuals stealing Light to court federal case
The power company people that do the investigation get briber -- corruption
EFFC need to use some of their clerks for EG
They do this monthly in my area, some of them lock themselves and created some kind of barrier preventing PHCN officials from checking. I don't want to even mention those use industrial machines in their house yet register themselves as normal users.

I also mentioned in my point 3 that PHCN people are corrupt but in your haste to defend foolish Nigerians that will not pay even if they get 24hrs electricity you labeled it as BS. Typical Nigerian!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 3:54pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

There are NO regions that have this prepaid meter and 16 to 20 hours of light per day! Don't tell such huge lies, please! angry
Mr.Man stroll down to Abuja and stop making noise. There are parts of the city with prepaid meters and 16 to 20 hrs light my area inclusive.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:55pm On Mar 20, 2018
Layman24:
COUNTRIES LIKE TANZANIA A 3BED ROOM FLAT IS PAYING EQUIVALENT OF N500 AND GERMANY IS BEGGING FOR WHO WILL CONSUME LIGHT FOR FREE.
MY GHANA TRAVELER DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Una just want take laugh kill person for here....! cheesy

[img]https://media./images/f7354b8c66dcf774a0cd75d1806e0d56/tenor.gif[/img]
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 3:57pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:
Mr.Man stroll down to Abuja and stop making noise. There are parts of the city with prepaid meters and 16 to 20 hrs light my area inclusive.
Which part of Abuja? Apo, Wuse, Maitama, Karu, Kubwa, Durumi, Gwarinpa, Bwari or where? List all the areas in Abuja that have prepaid meters and 16 to 20 hrs light.... undecided
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 3:59pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

They do this monthly in my area, some of them lock themselves and created some kind of barrier preventing PHCN officials from checking. I don't want to even mention those use industrial machines in their house yet register themselves as normal users.

I also mentioned in my point 3 that PHCN people are corrupt but in your haste to defend foolish Nigerians that will not pay even if they get 24hrs electricity you labeled it as BS. Typical Nigerian!

The officer need to use police sometime
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 4:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

Which part of Abuja? Apo, Wuse, Maitama, Karu, Kubwa, Durumi, Gwarinpa, Bwari or where?
Saburi... If you are using airport line it is even better...

Point is even with 24 hours light and prepaid meter, some Nigerians will still refuse to pay and they will be at the front complaining that they can not pay for light not received.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 4:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

kevoh:

Saburi... If you are using airport line it is even better...

Point is even with 24 hours light and prepaid meter, some Nigerians will still refuse to pay and they will be at the front complaining that they can not pay for light not received.
Then let the DisCos invest in technology that cuts off power supply to any house or company that tampers with its' meter, and bypasses it. It is not rocket science, and it is not too hard to do.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 4:03pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

The issue of electricity is how do we make it work
I am not defending Nigerians
ALL Nigerians including me have in their DNA how to beat the system
I am tired of darkness and paying for hotels
electricity, good roads, clean water and Health care improve in the four basic thing will move Nigeria to a developing country

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 4:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

The officer need to use police sometime
Unfortunately, that's another expense that will be borne by PHCN. Who will now pay police every time just for regular check? How about us the consumers being honest instead and the officials not receiving bribes from erring consumers?

I agree that increasing the tariff and price of prepaid meter and also the delay in issuing the meter are things we have to protest against but we as consumers need to do our part too by just being honest.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 4:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

Unfortunately, that's another expense that will be borne by PHCN. Who will now pay police every time just for regular check? How about us the consumers being honest instead and the officials not receiving bribes from erring consumers?

I agree that increasing the tariff and price of prepaid meter and also the delay in issuing the meter are things we have to protest against but we as consumers need to do our part too by just being honest.
All Nigerians including me are born criminals
Other Nigeria problem
why should police be paid for investigating crime
Long way for us bro
Like I said , we are trying to cut of the head of a sneak - the big people it is not working (corruption)
Let us try from the tail clerks and move our way up
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 4:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
LaudableXX:

Then let the DisCos invest in technology that cuts off power supply to any house or company that tampers with its' meter, and bypasses it. It is not rocket science, and it is not too hard to do.
The reason why I said a lawyer has no business in that seat. Forgive me for being biased as an engineer myself but Prof. Barth Nnaji had more technically creative ideas while on that seat than the figurehead there, we could be veering towards such ideas if everything in Nigeria was not so politicised.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

All Nigerians including me are born criminals
Other Nigeria problem
why should police be paid for investigating crime
Long way for us bro
Good question! grin I didn't even see it that way. So many things wrong with the Nigeian system.

Anyone who has the resources should just stick to solar jejely and save oneself from Nigeria's wahala.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 4:15pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

The reason why I said a lawyer has no business in that seat. Forgive me for being biased as an engineer myself but Prof. Barth Nnaji had more technically creative ideas while on that seat than the figurehead there, we could be veering towards such ideas if everything in Nigeria was not so politicised.
IF people steal electricity and get charge
They don't need a lawyer?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 4:18pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

Good question! grin I didn't even see it that way. So many things wrong with the Nigeian system.

Anyone who has the resources should just stick to solar jejely and save oneself from Nigeria's wahala.
I have a story for you
about 35 to 40 year ago
I have a relate working for light company
just a clerk bought new 504
My father look at him and said to him " u will go to jail"
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 4:18pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

I agree totally with what you said about the great Prof. wink In fact, if they had not messed up the privatisation process, and allowed his Aba-based Geometric Power Company which owned the Aba IPP to implement its project, maybe we would have been able to use the Aba grid as a fine example of how power supply and distribution should be.

But the DisCos do not need any additional approval, to implement such a technology-based solution. sad The same way electricity supply cuts off from the premises when credit is exhausted on the pre-paid meter, is the same way power could get cut off, if anyone tampers with the pre-paid meter. It shouldn't require more than an additional configuration of the existing software programme, on the meters. But the problem is that a lot of DisCo staff are also involved in bypassing of meters.

If there is a way to monitor activity or electricity supply on each meter, then it would be possible to know which meters have been tampered with, or not. undecided
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by stchinedu: 4:22pm On Mar 20, 2018
GIVE us our prepaid meter
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by kevoh(m): 4:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

IF people steal electricity and get charge
They don't need a lawyer?
They do. If they are to brainstorm and conceive an engineering project will you call a lawyer?

I meant lawyer as the Minister of power, works and housing. Can an Engineer or doctor head Ministry of Justice? Some of these FG departments need to be managed by the professionals the departments are intended for. Once again, pardon my being biased here! Engineers don't get that involved in politics any way, so their fault if another professional is asked to head them. C'est la vie. !
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by vitality22(m): 4:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
awa:
Thank you Buhari for everything
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by GoodFaith: 4:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
kevoh:

They do. If they are to brainstorm and conceive an engineering project will you call a lawyer?

I meant lawyer as the Minister of power, works and housing. Can an Engineer or doctor head Ministry of Justice? Some of these FG departments need to be managed by the professionals the departments are intended for. Once again, pardon my being biased here! Engineers don't get that involved in politics any way, so their fault if another professional is asked to head them. C'est la vie. !

A Minister is a manager
Nigeria need a good manager
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Cuteamigo1(m): 4:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
GoodFaith:

The issue here is not about age
Are you asking Nigerians to pay for poor and bad services
No meters
no i am not but for this service to get better, Nigerians have to realize that they have to make some sacrifices and paying more is one of the way to go since we dont have the savings that the government can spend alone to fix this. if you think forieng investors will come and put thier money in a system where majority of customers dont want to pay and bypass thier meters then be rest assured this problem will linger for many more generations to come. we all know the story of telecommunications services when they started, we paid alot at the beginning but once the infrastructure was set we are now paying less than we used too. this is just my opinion.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by Cantshout: 4:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
Let the company in charge get a bank loan, implement and see whether citizens will not be glad to pay for what they see. If electricity is not a free lunch, then let them get the lunch prepared so we can buy
Cromcruach91:
Before we grumble...consider a few facts

1.When we privatised electricity distribution and generation, the price increase was written into the law that governs the thing.

2.We need anything between $300-900billion to get light 24/7.

3.Privatization means that you pay more from your pocket.

4.We have to pay our bills...and let's be frank...we pay bills lower than countries like Ghana...who pay twice as much as we do.

5.Electricity is not a free lunch.

MODIFIED

To all that responded to me, thank you very much.

I just want to leave this fact for you guys...

We need $300 BILLION to get light 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our foreign reserve is $40billion. Let that sink in...and then we can talk.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 4:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cuteamigo1:
no i am not but for this service to get better, Nigerians have to realize that they have to make some sacrifices and paying more is one of the way to go since we dont have the savings that the government can spend alone to fix this. if you think forieng investors will come and put thier money in a system where majority of customers dont want to pay and bypass thier meters then be rest assured this problem will linger for many more generations to come. we all know the story of telecommunications services when they started, we paid alot at the beginning but once the infrastructure was set we are now paying less than we used too. this is just my opinion.

See this one! Still talking crap and offering bad advice. undecided Govt has spent 2.7 trillion naira on the power sector since 2009, with little or nothing to show for it. What on earth makes you think that if the masses are exploited to pay more for the current state of epileptic power supply, anything would improve? shocked

Telecoms sector is TOTALLY different from electricity sector. The telecoms companies built their network infrastructure from scratch, and got it working to an appreciable level, before selling a single line....
Re: Electricity Consumers To Pay More In New NERC Regulation by LaudableXX: 4:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
Cantshout:
Let the company in charge get a bank loan, implement and see whether citizens will not be glad to pay for what they see. If electricity is not a free lunch, then let them get the lunch prepared so we can buy

Thank you, o! cheesy At last someone here is making sense!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Details Of Buhari's Meeting With Tinubu, Sultan Of Sokoto In Saudi Arabia Emerge / Magu Reacts To Malami’s Accusations: ‘No Blackmail Can Stop Me’ / South South Governors Agree To Join Supreme Court Suit on VAT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.