Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. (48382 Views)

FG Can't Share Donated Funds To Nigerians - Lai Mohammed / Ooni Charges Historians On Deeper Researches About Yoruba-igbo Family Ties / President Buhari Challenges Historians, Economists To Documen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 24, 2018
My fellow nairalanders, since I was a kid, I read that University of Ibadan was the first University in Nigeria. Till date, at almost forty years of age, I held-on to that knowledge (lie) that the SW pioneered university education in Nigeria. Just yesterday on nairaland, I realized that this was a LIE. A thread on nairaland had shown that infact, the FIRST University in Nigeria is the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. I also learned from that thread that what the SW had was the University College Ibadan, which was a college of the University of London. A college in Ibadan (UCI) is not a university and it did not have degree awarding powers, no senate, no vice chancellor, etc. See thread link

https://www.nairaland.com/4409570/nnamdi-azikiwe-pointing-site-university

It emerged that UNN is actually the first uni in Nigeria to my greatest Surprise. Before now, all articles and history revisionists have always said UI is the first BUT the UI as we know it is actually the second not first.

My people, this is proof that Nigerian history has been twisted by Yoruba media and historians. Everyone, even educated historians mention UI as first uni in Nigeria. Why? How? This is proof that South west media and historians are lying to Nigerians.

TRUTH: The University of Nigeria (UNN) is the first university in Nigeria and the first Nigerian University. That is why it was named the University of Nigeria. The University of Ibadan should take its position of first foreign College or second uni in Nigeria. Let the truth be told Henceforth.

43 Likes 10 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by tyav7: 8:34pm On Mar 24, 2018

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Mar 24, 2018
tyav7:

You are too surprised that you can't post. This generational lie is strong.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by unohbethel(m): 8:50pm On Mar 24, 2018
south west! number 1 lyin region for nigeria after the north

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Mar 24, 2018
unohbethel:
(b) south west (/b) number 1 lyin region for nigeria after the north

Thanks bro. A generational lie that has been accepted as truth. I want an afonja here to tell me HOW the UI is first university in Nigeria.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by BankeSmalls(f): 8:55pm On Mar 24, 2018
You just woke of from the hypnotic powers of the Lagos-Ibadan propaganda machine, who, thanks to the Internet are loosing their grip on the cocktail of lies they keep serving to the Nigerian populace. grin

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 8:56pm On Mar 24, 2018
For 40years, meaning you are more than 40 Years. Chai. This generation is dead.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2018
Strikethem:

Face the topic please. Every historian says UI is first uni in Nigeria. How? Why? I am a professional engineer and I wonder why this LIE has sold for so long.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 24, 2018

University of Ibadan Started as Yaba College, Lagos
The University of Ibadan has her origins in Yaba College (now YabaTech), founded in 1932 in Yaba, Lagos. The Yaba College is the first tertiary educational institute in Nigeria. Yaba College was transferred to Ibadan in 1948. That was when it became the University College of Ibadan. This is the name some of our fathers and grandfathers still call the University of Ibadan till today.
So, when did we start calling the institution University of Ibadan and when was it moved to its own site.

In February 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of Elliot Commission, cut the first sod at the permanent site of the University College on 17 November, 1948, which thereafter became the Foundation Day.

How does this translate to the university being founded in 1962? UI remains the premiere university in Nigeria, nothing you can do about it.

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by oooduancalmdown: 9:08pm On Mar 24, 2018
ariketalks:

The University of Ibadan has her origins in Yaba College (now YabaTech), founded in 1932 in Yaba, Lagos. The Yaba College is the first tertiary educational institute in Nigeria. Yaba College was transferred to Ibadan in 1948. That was when it became the University College of Ibadan. This is the name some of our fathers and grandfathers still call the University of Ibadan till today.
So, when did we start calling the institution University of Ibadan and when was it moved to its own site.

In February 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of Elliot Commission, cut the first sod at the permanent site of the University College on 17 November, 1948, which thereafter became the Foundation Day.

How does this translate to the university being founded in 1962? UI remains the premiere university in Nigeria, nothing you can do about it.

You better ignore that Igbo. They can't do without opening threads about Yoruba. Just this week alone, they have opened so many threads about us.
They are pathetic pigs

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Mar 24, 2018
ariketalks:

Yet another history twister. When did yaba 'College' become a University. a college is not a university. And why wasn't Yaba college named Nigeria College. It waited until a new university was named the University of Nigeria.

With the kind of lies from SW, Nigeria is in trouble.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 24, 2018
oooduancalmdown:

You better ignore that Igbo. They can't do without opening threads about Yoruba. Just this week alone, they have opened so many threads about us.
They are pathetic pigs
wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2018
oooduancalmdown:

They are pathetic pigs

Adress the topic please. If UI was the first uni in nigeria, it would have been named the 'University of Nigeria, Ibadan'. It is really sad that our past cannot be told with clarity. Very sad that a grown man like me had swallowed SW lies for long. And the lies are still being told.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by BankeSmalls(f): 9:14pm On Mar 24, 2018
Yaba college suddenly metamorphosed into University of Ibadan? grin Yaba college only turned to Yaba left, and some of you need to go for brain check there.

The juju they used to tie una brain is just too strong. My 5 year old niece read the last post and has been laughing for like three minutes grin

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by basty: 9:15pm On Mar 24, 2018
Association with Igbos is becoming unbearable and the Yorubas of SW Nigeria need to do something fast.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by unohbethel(m): 9:17pm On Mar 24, 2018
Strikethem:
chai na so the tin pain u reach.u no EVEN comment about the thread but only to look for straws.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 9:17pm On Mar 24, 2018
NuclearBomber:

Thanks bro. A generational lie that has been accepted as truth. I want an afonja here to tell me HOW the UI is first university in Nigeria.
Well when I see people saying it is the first university, I do tell them it is not the first university but that yabatech was the first tertiary institution in Nigeria was Federal school of surveying in oyo which was founded on the 1st of July, 1908, followed by Yaba college of technology founded in 1932 while University College Ibadan was founded in 1947. I saw the thread you refered to but decided not to comment on it. What I found out is that they said UNN was the first university in eastern Nigeria. Though I always see it as first to be named a university. But never the first institution. That is the difference people do not know sir. Thanks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by PFRB: 9:20pm On Mar 24, 2018
I don't know how a college of a university has become a university . In what year did it award a degree ? In what year did it have BA Ibadan?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Cinkq: 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2018
UNN was founded in 1955 and formaly opened in 1960.
But University of ibadan was founded in 1948.
UI was already producing doctors, engineers, lawyers for decade before UNN was established.
OP can continue arguing with himself, i don't think this topic is worth wasting time on.
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN IS UNDISPUTABLY THE FIRST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA and by far the best University in Nigeria.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 24, 2018
basty:
Association with Igbos is becoming unbearable and the Yorubas of SW Nigeria need to do something fast.

Chai. you are so helpless that your lies are being busted. List of SW lies that have been busted on nairaland

yorubas are most educated in nigeria = Busted lie (all statistics show SE is first and SS is second, leading SW)
sw is most developed in nigeria = Busted lie (except lagos, all SW is crap- osun, ibadan, ogbomosho, okitipupa, ekiti, ilorin, etc)
yorubas are most sophisticated = Busted lie (sophisticated/educated people voted a previously known bigoted illiterate in 2015 as presido)
yorubas leading the professions = busted lie ( anambra has the highest SAN's, Imo has highest Profs, Anambra has highest Entrepreneurs, etc)
Yorubas are first to get western education = Busted lie (Equiano Olaudah is proof)
Yorubas have many firsts = Busted lie (Igbos have more firsts than yorubas)

And many more.

35 Likes 11 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 9:27pm On Mar 24, 2018
BankeSmalls:
Yaba college suddenly metamorphosed into University of Ibadan? grin Yaba college only turned to Yaba left, and some of you need to go for brain check there.

The juju they used to tie una brain is just too strong. My 5 year old niece read the last post and has been laughing for like three minutes grin

Don't act daft always, let educate you small. The site of federal university akure was where federal polytechnic Ado ekiti was before the establishment of the Federal university. The polytechnic was then moved to Ado ekiti in now ekiti state. Open your brain small.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by xynerise: 9:28pm On Mar 24, 2018
basty:

Stop making loud noise undecided

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2018
Strikethem:
Well when I see people saying it is the first university, I do tell them it is not the first university but that yabatech was the first tertiary institution in Nigeria was Federal school of surveying in oyo which was founded on the 1st of July, 1908, followed by Yaba college of technology founded in 1932 while University College Ibadan was founded in 1947. I saw the thread you refered to but decided not to comment on it. What I found out is that they said UNN was the first university in eastern Nigeria. Though I always see it as first to be named a university. But never the first institution. That is the difference people do not know sir. Thanks.

Yaba college was not a university, nor did it award degrees.
Federal school of surveying was not a university, it did not award degrees.
University college Ibadan was not a university, it did not award degrees.
UNN is the first university in Nigeria. Its name says that.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2018
NuclearBomber:

Chai. you are so helpless that your lies are being busted. List of SW lies that have been busted on nairaland

yorubas are most educated in nigeria = Busted lie (all statistics show SE is first and SS is second, leading SW)
sw is most developed in nigeria = Busted lie (except lagos, all SW is crap- osun, ibadan, ogbomosho, okitipupa, ekiti, ilorin, etc)
yorubas are most sophisticated = Busted lie (sophisticated/educated people voted a previously known bigoted illiterate in 2015 as presido)
yorubas leading the professions = busted lie ( anambra has the highest SAN's, Imo has highest Profs, Anambra has highest Entrepreneurs, etc)
Yorubas are first to get western education = Busted lie (Equiano Olaudah is proof)
Yorubas have many firsts = Busted lie (Igbos have more firsts than yorubas)

And many more.
If by that one, that is the fact. That is not debatable.
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2018
Strikethem:
Don't act daft always, let educate you small. The site of federal university akure was where federal polytechnic Ado ekiti was before the establishment of the Federal university. The polytechnic was then moved to Ado ekiti in now ekiti state. Open your brain small.

Go away joor. Stop talking crap. Yaba college was university of ibadan, who are you telling crap. Even at that, when did a college become a university. A college is an advanced secondary school.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by BankeSmalls(f): 9:32pm On Mar 24, 2018
Strikethem:

So, where is Federal university of Akure now? grin

In your small mind, Ado Ekiti polytechnic is still Federal university of Akure?

Use your hand and tie yourself.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 24, 2018
Cinkq:
UNN was founded in 1955 and formaly opened in 1960.
But University of ibadan was founded in 1948.
UI was already producing doctors, engineers, lawyers for decades before UNN was established.
OP can continue arguing with himself, i don't think this topic is worth wasting time on.
UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN IS UNDISPUTED FIRST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA.
UI is the oldest and by far the baet University in Nigeria.

UI was first founded as a offshore college of the University of London. Am not debating that. But UCI was not a fully fledged Uni. It was not run by Nigerians, not owned by Nigeria, could not award degrees, had no senate, no vice chancellor, etc. It was not a uni by all standards. Please accept the truth that while UCI was the first college, it was not the first uni.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by anibirelawal(m): 9:39pm On Mar 24, 2018
So what exactly do you want now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2018
NuclearBomber:

Yaba college was not a university, nor did it award degrees.
Federal school of surveying was not a university, it did not award degrees.
University college Ibadan was not a university, it did not award degrees.
UNN is the first university in Nigeria. Its name says that.
And did you read well? But you said you are a professional engineer. Where did i say they were university. Don't you know different between instition and university? I tell you, south west already had 3 institutions before south get get one. Doctors, lawyers, engineers and many others have been produced in those schools before any institution in South East. The institutions are
The federal school of surveying founded in 1908
Yaba college of technology founded in 1932
University college Ibadan founded in 1947.
I didn't say they were university but those are the first 3 institutions in the country.
UNN was named a university before UI and it is just a space of less than 2years.

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 9:43pm On Mar 24, 2018
BankeSmalls:

So, where is Federal university of Akure now? grin

In your small mind, Ado Ekiti polytechnic is still Federal university of Akure?

Use your hand and tie yourself.
I am sorry, I don't know how to help your brain. Let enjoy the thread. If you think you can troll, I will tell you, you are a learner where I dey troll.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

APC Caught Sharing Money To Northerners To Vote (video) / Sunday Igboho Was Released On Health Ground / Obasanjo In Aba During The Nigerian Civil-War (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.