Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. (48489 Views)

FG Can't Share Donated Funds To Nigerians - Lai Mohammed / Ooni Charges Historians On Deeper Researches About Yoruba-igbo Family Ties / President Buhari Challenges Historians, Economists To Documen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Justcash(m): 2:35am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

This is not about deciding standards.

THE ONLY GCE options for pupils until WAEC was created was UK GCE from one of the main Universities in exactly the same way as UCL Ibadan was issuing UL degrees. Secondary schools in Nigeria had no choice,

You have asserted that UCL was foreign because its degree was British

My question was

were seconndary schools in Nigeria that did Cambridge foreign too??

The fact that Nigeria had no other option to UCL does not make UCL Nigerian. As the name implies, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LONDON is owned by the BRITISH. They merely established a branch in Ibadan and MONOPOLISED UNIVERSITY education in NIGERIA as there was no option.

UNN, on the other hand, emerged as a NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY and broke that monopoly of UCL. More still, UNN issued NIGERIAN DEGREES. They were not subject to the authority of a foreign university.

As I said before, even UNN can decide to issue a foreign qualification and still remain Nigerian. As long as the management, structure, decision making body are in Nigeria and are Nigerians.

The acceptance of Cambridge Qualifications by Nigerian schools does not make the qualification Nigerian. It is a foreign qualification.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 2:39am On Mar 25, 2018
Justcash:

The fact that Nigeria had no other option to UCL does not make UCL Nigerian. As the name implies, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LONDON is owned by the BRITISH. They merely established a branch in Ibadan and MONOPOLISED UNIVERSITY education in NIGERIA as there was no option.

UNN, on the other hand, emerged as a NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY and broke that monopoly of UCL. More still, UNN issued NIGERIAN DEGREES. They were not subject to the authority of a foreign university.

As I said before, even UNN can decide to issue a foreign qualification and still remain Nigerian. As long as the management, structure, decision making body are in Nigeria and are Nigerians.

The acceptance of Cambridge Qualifications by Nigerian schools does not make it Nigerian. It is a foreign qualification.

you did not answer my question

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Justcash(m): 2:42am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

By law Nigerians were British Protected Persons and Nigeria was British Territory

That didn’t make Nigerians BRITISH. It meant that Nigerians were under the forced colonial authority of Britain.

Nigerians being under colonial authority meant that NIGERIANS EXISTED and the BRITISH EXISTED too.

If the British didn’t form Nigeria, we would have still had our own different identities from the British.

WE WERE NEVER BRITISH AT ANY TIME IN HISTORY. THE BRITISH ONLY ESTABLISHED THEIR COLONIAL AUTHORITY TO RULE US.

5 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Justcash(m): 2:44am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

you did not answer my question

NO THEY ARE NOT FOREIGN.

I answered it by stating the following in my previous post;

“The acceptance of Cambridge Qualifications by Nigerian schools does not make it Nigerian. It is a foreign qualification.”

The schools are Nigerian, but the qualifications are foreign.

UCI was British, the qualifications were British.

I went further to explain the following;

“Even UNN can decide to issue a foreign qualification and still remain Nigerian. As long as the management, structure, decision making body are in Nigeria and are Nigerians”

Did you see my answer or you just want to argue for argument sake?

7 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 2:54am On Mar 25, 2018
Justcash:

NO THEY ARE NOT FOREIGN.

I answered it by stating the following in my previous post;

“The acceptance of Cambridge Qualifications by Nigerian schools does not make it Nigerian. It is a foreign qualification.”

The schools are Nigerian, but the qualifications are foreign.

UCI was British, the qualifications were British.

I went further to explain the following;

“Even UNN can decide to issue a foreign qualification and still remain Nigerian. As long as the management, structure, decision making body are in Nigeria and are Nigerians”

Did you see my answer or you just want to argue for argument sake?
It was not an acceptance, According to you UCL was foreign BECAUSE the qualificationn was FOREIGN but for the secondary xchools it is not.
We are talking of schools established BEFORE Nigeri was created
They did NOT ACCEPT these qualifications
Those were the ONLY qualifications known . THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE just like with UCL

so you are obviosly ontradicting yourself.

Secondary schools existed in Nigeria for over 70 years before WAEC was created so how you can talk of acceptance beats me

We arre talking of schools established by British people often Missionary schools

So by your LOGIC if UCL was foreign Kings College was foreign CKC Onitsha was foreign

One would like to learn the name of the first NIGERIAN secondary school

5 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 3:00am On Mar 25, 2018
NuclearBomber:

go back to school and learn english.
Oh, seems you want me to disgrace you with your grammatical blunder that you have been making since on the thread. I am only respecting you cos I saw you are over 40years.
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 3:05am On Mar 25, 2018
NuclearBomber:

You are in trouble today... cry more.
Old man telling someone of his younger brother's age to cry more. Me cry, if we are to ask for azikwe's achievements, what can you bring?

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 3:09am On Mar 25, 2018
NuclearBomber:

Yes o. Truth must overtake it. Since I was a kid, I learned that UI was Nigeria's premier university. What a LIE. Chai...
You are just jealous of UI. No matter how hard you try, you can't beat the fact. UI is the premier university. You can go and change it.

3 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 3:15am On Mar 25, 2018
dunkem21:

Not only that, they also touched the tail of a sleeping Lion by asserting that UI has produced the highest professors in Nigeria.. We have since buried that insult..

Very soon, we will compare records, awards, achievements and scholars..

Enough!!! angry
Are you ready to go head to head when it comes to who get more scholar between Yoruba and igbo? In fact, we will dash you both north and south south to join you as against yorubas. Are you ready?

2 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Justcash(m): 3:17am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

It was not an acceptance, According to you UCL was foreign BECAUSE the qualificationn was FOREIGN but for the secondary xchools it is not.
We are talking of schools established BEFORE Nigeri was created
They did NOT ACCEPT these qualifications
Those were the ONLY qualifications known . THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE just like with UCL

so you are obviosly ontradicting yourself.

Secondary schools existed in Nigeria for over 70 years before WAEC was created so how you can talk of acceptance beats me

We arre talking of schools established by British people often Missionary schools

So by your LOGIC if UCL was foreign Kings College was foreign CKC Onitsha was foreign

One would like to learn the name of the first NIGERIAN secondary school

Let me clarify this for you to understand again:

1. PRE-INDEPENDENCE MISSIONARY SCHOOLS WERE COMPLETELY FOREIGN

2. ALL THE SCHOOLS BUILT, OWNED AND ADMINISTERED BY THE BRITISH WERE/ARE FOREIGN

3. ALL UNIVERSITIES CONTROLLED AND ESTABLISHED FROM BRITAIN WERE BRITISH

Formal education in Nigeria had strong foreign roots from Britain.

After independence, the British gradually lost control of administration of education in Nigeria. As a result, most schools (including missionary schools) are controlled and now administered by Nigerians. They are Nigerian now.

UCI was completely a british school. As soon as it became Nigerian, its name was changed to UI.

The fact that NIGERIA was ruled by BRITAIN does not make a BRITISH school NIGERIAN.

BRITAIN established a branch of their University in Nigeria at IBADAN to award BRITISH certificates.

NIGERIA came of age and established a truly NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY called University of NIGERIA Nsukka.

The problem you are having with accepting this may just have to do with your level of affiliation with the location of the first Nigerian University. It is unnecessary as the University was created in Nigeria, made for NIGERIANS and is still proudly NIGERIAN.

University of Ibadan is also Nigerian now, but that was after the BRITISH University decided to separate from it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 3:31am On Mar 25, 2018
Justcash:

Let me clarify this for you to understand again:

1. PRE-INDEPENDENCE MISSIONARY SCHOOLS WERE COMPLETELY FOREIGN

2. ALL THE SCHOOLS BUILT, OWNED AND ADMINISTERED BY THE BRITISH WERE/ARE FOREIGN

3. ALL UNIVERSITIES CONTROLLED AND ESTABLISHED FROM BRITAIN WERE BRITISH

Formal education in Nigeria had strong foreign roots from Britain.

After independence, the British lost control of administration of education in Nigeria. As a result, most schools (including missionary schools) are controlled and administered by Nigerians. They are Nigerian now.

UCI was completely a british school. As soon as it became Nigerian, its name was changed to UI.

The fact that NIGERIA was ruled by BRITAIN does not make a BRITISH school NIGERIAN.

BRITAIN established a branch of their University in Nigeria to award BRITISH certificates.

NIGERIA came of age and established a truly NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY called University of NIGERIA Nsukka.

The problem you are having with accepting this may just do with your level of affiliation with the location of the first Nigerian University. It is unnecessary as the University was created in Nigeria, made for NIGERIANS and is still proudly NIGERIAN.

University of Ibadan is also Nigerian now, but that was after the BRITISH University decided to separate from it.

Upside down Logic
Nigeria was created by the British and was British till it gained independence. The issue of foreignness could not arise before inddependence

Not all secondary schools pre independence were built by British . Some were Islamic

You have argued that using foreign qualifications ,makes a school British and now you are telling us that all secondary schools pre WAEC were foreign .

Your argument of course means that even the Islamic schools were FOREIGN and therefore British since they took CAMBRIDGE etc

That is your perspective and it is indeed very interesting.

None of this changes the facts as to which was the first University in Nigeria or ( first secondary school)whether or not they were foreigh which is the topic of this thread

The first University in Nigeria was UI

4 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Strikethem: 3:33am On Mar 25, 2018
NuclearBomber:

My friend, don't go there. you will lose bitterly. Many professors at UI and UNILAG are of Igbo origin. Don't go there at all. Go and ask NUC.
grin Is it that over 40years of age is affecting your thinking

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 3:36am On Mar 25, 2018
Justcash:

The acceptance of Cambridge Qualifications by Nigerian schools does not make the qualification Nigerian. It is a foreign qualification.

How can UNN issue a foreign qualification?? Explain this please?

This is an absurd proposition

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Justcash(m): 3:47am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

Upside down Logic
Nigeria was created by the British and was British till it gained independence. The issue of foreigness could not arise before inddependence

Not all secondary schools pre independence were built by British . Some were Islamic

You have argued that using foreign qualifications ,makes a school British and now you are telling us that all secondary schools pre WAEC were foreign .

Your argument of course means that even the Islamic schools were FOREIGN and therefore British since they took CAMBRIDGE etc

That is your perspective and it is indeed very interesting.

None of this changes the facts as to which was the first University in Nigeria or ( first secondary school)whether or not they were foreigh which is the topic of this thread

The first University in Nigeria was UI

The first University in Nigeria was University College Ibadan

The first Nigerian University is University of Nigeria Nsukka

University of Ibadan was the second Nigerian University

UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN was nonexistent when UNN was created and launched.

Nigeria was created by the British, but it wasn’t British. If they wanted Nigeria to be British, they would have entrenched the POLICY OF ASSIMILATION like the French did in neighboring nations.

A NIGERIAN SCHOOL is defined by ownership, administrative structure, qualifications and location.

An Islamic school controlled and administered by a foreign Islamic body with foreign Islamic qualifications issued from them but with structures built in Nigeria is a foreign school

An Islamic school controlled and administered by a Nigerian Islamic body with foreign Islamic qualifications issued by the school and with structures built in Nigeria is a Nigerian school

Likewise;

A University controlled and administered by a foreign university with foreign tertiary qualifications validated and issued from overseas but with structures built in Nigeria is a foreign University

A University controlled and administered by Nigerians with tertiary qualifications approved and issued from a Nigerian regulatory authority and with structures built in Nigeria is a Nigerian University

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Justcash(m): 3:51am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

How can UNN issue a foreign qualification?? Explain this please?

This is an absurd proposition

It can be done through affiliation or exchange. If UNN decides to approve (key word is “approve”) the issuance is foreign qualification to its students, it can be done. It is a common practice.

UCI could not approve anything without being sanctioned by the parent University in Britain. That was why it was a British University.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by fabre4: 5:33am On Mar 25, 2018
mandarin:
As a professional engineer you should understand the collegiate system that exist in British university system. If graduates of university of Ibadan were awarded a London/UK certificate and now you say it wasn't a university then what are you reconstructing it to become? Oxford university has many colleges and UCL was a university college and awarded it's graduates certificates.
I want to give you an assignment, just show me the photos of Enugu, Nsukka or even just anywhere in Nigeria in 1948 and tell the number of graduates from each ethnic group across Nigeria as at then.
Better go back to school to learn.

Alvan ikoku college of education has a deal to also act as a campus for uni zik the degrees awarded dont bear alvan ikoku college of education it bears UNIZIK I think that's what the OP is trying to say.
Justcash:

It can be done through affiliation or exchange. If UNN decides to approve (key word is “approve”) the issuance is foreign qualification to its students, it can be done. It is a common practice.

UCI could not approve anything without being sanctioned by the parent University in Britain. That was why it was a British University.

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by omojesu202(m): 5:54am On Mar 25, 2018
BankeSmalls:
Yaba college suddenly metamorphosed into University of Ibadan? grin Yaba college only turned to Yaba left, and some of you need to go for brain check there.

The juju they used to tie una brain is just too strong. My 5 year old niece read the last post and has been laughing for like three minutes grin

watch that your niece closely. you mighty need to take her to see a psychiatrist

2 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by dunkem21(m): 5:58am On Mar 25, 2018
Strikethem:
Are you ready to go head to head when it comes to who get more scholar between Yoruba and igbo? In fact, we will dash you both north and south south to join you as against yorubas. Are you ready?

Like I said, I don't involve myself in issues concerning Igbos and Yorubas..

Some other people will be glad to take you on that wink
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 25, 2018
phillippiano:
And which university has more professors than ui
Wait for the empty skulls to come and claim those professors are igbo grin Shameless lot.
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by limeta(f): 6:52am On Mar 25, 2018
oooduancalmdown:

You better ignore that Igbo. They can't do without opening threads about Yoruba. Just this week alone, they have opened so many threads about us.
They are pathetic pigs

Abeg face the topic this yr write up no make sense right right now
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by limeta(f): 6:59am On Mar 25, 2018
anibirelawal:
So what exactly do you want now

Say it as it is period
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by MrNigeria2018: 7:02am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

It was not an offshoot it was a College. Those who say ths are clearly ignorant of what a Collegiate University is and should take time to read up on it. Not evry University operates such a system . In fact moost do not. But it is worth studying.

The First university in Nigeria is UI there is nothing to discuss

Are u not ashamed of yourself with this rubbish you typed?

The difference between these two institutions is simple for an open minded and educated person to see

UI is the first University in Nigeria- Premier

UNN is first indigenous University

Nobody ll ask you the first indigenous University in Nigeria.

The question has always been the first university in Nigeria or any country in the world?

I doubt if you are a university graduate cos if you are, it won’t take all this argument for you to know that Universities are usually called Colleges or have colleges in western education. Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford have colleges with degrees.

Bigotry won’t let you see what others have tried to open your eyes to...

It’s name was only changed in October 1962 cos it cut its ties with London university completely.

In your desperation to discredit the Yorubas, you decided to use the word “indigenous” university to fight your way through.

The first university in Nigeria is University of Ibadan(name only changed in 1962)

Change it’s name didn’t change the number of graduates that graduated from that University before UNN becomes operational in 1960.

Obafemi Awolowo University followed in 1961.

Before all this, there was a Yaba higher education in the West in 1938 while your forefathers were still hunting antelopes in their caves.

The historical record or google are there for you to read and learn

British international School in Lagos ll always come before other secondary schools that were established months or years after. Nobody ll ask you if it’s indigenous or not.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by MrNigeria2018: 7:03am On Mar 25, 2018
It was not an offshoot it was a College. Those who say ths are clearly ignorant of what a Collegiate University is and should take time to read up on it. Not evry University operates such a system . In fact moost do not. But it is worth studying.

The First university in Nigeria is UI there is nothing to discuss

The difference between these two institutions is simple for an open minded and educated person to see

The question has always been the first university in Nigeria or any country in the world?

I doubt if you are a university graduate cos if you are, it won’t take all this argument for you to know that Universities are usually called Colleges or have colleges in western education. Cambridge, Harvard and Oxford have colleges with degrees.

It’s name was only changed in October 1962 cos it cut its ties with London university completely.

In your desperation to discredit the Yorubas, you decided to use the word “indigenous” university to fight your way through.

The first university in Nigeria is University of Ibadan(name only changed in 1962)

Change it’s name didn’t change the number of graduates that graduated from that University before UNN becomes operational in 1960.

Before all this, there was a Yaba higher education in the West in 1938 while your forefathers were still hunting antelopes in their caves.

British international School in Lagos ll always come before other secondary schools that were established months or years after. Nobody ll ask you if it’s indigenous or not.

3 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 7:59am On Mar 25, 2018
MrNigeria2018:

British international School in Lagos ll always come before other secondary schools that were established months or years after. Nobody ll ask you if it’s indigenous or not.[/color]
shut up and disappear

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 8:01am On Mar 25, 2018
Justcash:

UNN cannot issue any qualification other than a UNN qualification. Stop talking nonsense

2 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by proffemi: 8:17am On Mar 25, 2018
NuclearBomber:

Face the topic please. Every historian says UI is first uni in Nigeria. How? Why? I am a professional engineer and I wonder why this LIE has sold for so long.

This part, where you claim to be a professional engineer, makes me embarrassed on your behalf (one engineer to another). Must you make everything about Yoruba vs Igbo, or are you thoroughly incapable of research or critical thinking?

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by christopher123(m): 8:19am On Mar 25, 2018
ariketalks:

University of Ibadan Started as Yaba College, Lagos
The University of Ibadan has her origins in Yaba College (now YabaTech), founded in 1932 in Yaba, Lagos. The Yaba College is the first tertiary educational institute in Nigeria. Yaba College was transferred to Ibadan in 1948. That was when it became the University College of Ibadan. This is the name some of our fathers and grandfathers still call the University of Ibadan till today.
So, when did we start calling the institution University of Ibadan and when was it moved to its own site.

In February 1948, London University allowed Ibadan its special relationship scheme. Arthur Creech Jones, then Secretary of State for the Colonies, and an influential member of Elliot Commission, cut the first sod at the permanent site of the University College on 17 November, 1948, which thereafter became the Foundation Day.

How does this translate to the university being founded in 1962? UI remains the premiere university in Nigeria, nothing you can do about it.

Remember you said the first tertiary institution that doesn't mean the first university...they are different things.....
Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 8:30am On Mar 25, 2018
Justcash:

That didn’t make Nigerians BRITISH. It meant that Nigerians were under the forced colonial authority of Britain.

Nigerians being under colonial authority meant that NIGERIANS EXISTED and the BRITISH EXISTED too.

If the British didn’t form Nigeria, we would have still had our own different identities from the British.

WE WERE NEVER BRITISH AT ANY TIME IN HISTORY. THE BRITISH ONLY ESTABLISHED THEIR COLONIAL AUTHORITY TO RULE US.

In law there was nothing like a Nigerian until independece they were British Protected Persons.
Our separate identities were not Nigerian

The territory was British Territory . Whatever the case the first niversity in Nigeria was University of Ibadan. Our identity is an irrelevant distraction to that point

2 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by GuyWise(m): 8:31am On Mar 25, 2018
Oyorobats people can lie in this world and that's why they good in fictitous stories

4 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 8:31am On Mar 25, 2018
christopher123:

Remember you said the first tertiary institution that doesn't mean the first university...they are different things.....
The first University in Nigeria was the University College Ibadan in1948. It was a UNIVERSITY

2 Likes

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by GuyWise(m): 8:34am On Mar 25, 2018
0monnak0da:

In law there was nothing like a Nigerian until independece they were British Protected Persons.
Our separate identities were not Nigerian

The territory was British Territory . Whatever the case the first niversity in Nigeria was University of Ibadan. Our identity is an irrelevant distraction to that point

Guy justcash is not your mate just keep kwayet and go and eat your ewedu this morning, he has been finishing you with facts since.

1 Like

Re: South West Historians LYING To Nigerians. by 0monnak0da: 8:36am On Mar 25, 2018
.Not enough time to respond to evry idiot on Nairaland

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Wins His Polling Unit / Abisola Kola Daisi Wears N600k Louboutin Heels (Photos) / Help Me Say 'Thank You' To Seyi Tinubu - President's Personal Photographer, Nosa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.