Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP (15560 Views)

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo / Traffic In Lagos As VP Osinbajo Visits (Photos) / Jonathan Nominates Obanikoro, Six Others As Ministers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by edoyad(m): 8:00pm On May 13, 2010
Gbawe:

If Sambo is the VP then this is the clearest sign that Jonathan wan't to run for the Presidency. I don't like appointment based on anything other than merit but on this occasion I totally back Jonathan if this is his own initiative . If Jonathan can run for the Presidency and win that will be a new dawn for Nigeria. We will then have officially consigned to the bin the odious practice of zoning important positions to one region alone . The trickle down effect may see Nigeria begin to move away from other harmfully disciminative practices like "federal character".

Nonetheless, I will warn Jonathan to be careful in his daliance with OBJ. I can see that OBJ is up to his usual deception when he stated that "the Presiency is not zoned to any region". This statement , going by OBJ's precedence, is solely aimed at encouraging Jonathan to think that he has a chance while OBJ may actually be working to undermine him.

We can all remember how OBJ decieved Odili, Duke et al . Odili , in particular , covered the entire Nigeria campaigning, spending vast sums of money and seeking support only for OBJ to bully every non-Northerner out of the way for Yar Adua so that the PDP zoning arrangement could be respected I am sure that OBJ , back then , would have told Duke , Odili and co that the Presidency was not zoned . Mr. President be careful you are not made to look a fool by the devious rogues you are fraternising with.

P

Very good analytical skills you possess there, i didn't even look in that direction.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by naso2(m): 8:02pm On May 13, 2010
Gbawe:

If Sambo is the VP then this is the clearest sign that Jonathan wan't to run for the Presidency. I don't like appointment based on anything other than merit but on this occasion I totally back Jonathan if this is his own initiative . If Jonathan can run for the Presidency and win that will be a new dawn for Nigeria. We will then have officially consigned to the bin the odious practice of zoning important positions to one region alone . The trickle down effect may see Nigeria begin to move away from other harmfully disciminative practices like "federal character".

Nonetheless, I will warn Jonathan to be careful in his daliance with OBJ. I can see that OBJ is up to his usual deception when he stated that "the Presiency is not zoned to any region". This statement , going by OBJ's precedence, is solely aimed at encouraging Jonathan to think that he has a chance while OBJ may actually be working to undermine him.

We can all remember how OBJ decieved Odili, Duke et al . Odili , in particular , covered the entire Nigeria campaigning, spending vast sums of money and seeking support only for OBJ to bully every non-Northerner out of the way for Yar Adua so that the PDP zoning arrangement could be respected. I am sure that OBJ , back then , would have told Duke , Odili and co that the Presidency was not zoned . Mr. President be careful you are not made to look a fool by the devious rogues you are fraternising with.

P

Even the PDP knows how delicate the issue at hand is. The big question is if the Pdp has to choose between the Zoning formular (even if the retention of the presidency in the north is actualised by another party) and suspending the zoning for now and place a bet on a candidate who with his national visibility and powers as the incumbent has a massive edge over the opposition, you can be sure they will go for the later.

Ideally PDP would like a case where the zoning continues and the northern candidate that emerges runs on the strength of full presidential backing. In this case this seem almost impossible. If Jonathan does not get the ticket, then they should be prepared to risk the presidency as he will not give the emerging candidate any special support. This in itself will be suicidal for the politcal careers of a lot of people. Another angle to it is that , the returning governors on PDP ticket would have to prepare for a kind of election where no special support comes from the centre.

On OBJ, please note that no serious minded presidential candidate can ignore OBJ for now. The north seem to hate him because they simply fear him. He knows nigeria enough to pull strings that will cut their unity which is their greatest political weapon to size.

On OBJ deceiving Jonathan, I think he  understands clearly how powerful the office of the president is. Jonathan's case is so different from Odili's case as the weapon OBJ used to coerce them to step down for UMYA , presently reside with GJ.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 8:10pm On May 13, 2010
Very good analytical skills you possess there, i didn't even look in that direction.

u guys give OBJ too much credit, The power he had was the power of incumbency. . .

This resides now with GJ

Witness how a dying and unseen Yaradua was able to hold the nation to ransom

The Nigerian Presidency is a very powerful institution for a number of reasons

but mostly it is because

1) Most Nigerian politicians are corrupt so they tend to support the incumbent to save their neck from EFCC(witness ogbulafors current predicament)
2)Most Politicians and traditional rulers want a share of the national cake in form of oil blocks allocations, therefore they will want to be close to anyone in the centre

I am making a prediction that Jonathan will run for president in 2011 and will win,
Right now he has the south south,south east and middle belt states, in the bag

With OBJs help he can get the south west except lagos

With sambos help he can get Kaduna,Kwara and Niger state

and that is all he needs, 20 states or thereabouts, let the opposition divide the rest
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 8:12pm On May 13, 2010
wish the elected vp good luck in office
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by naso2(m): 8:16pm On May 13, 2010
@paddy_lo

You cant be so sure that if GJ contests he will sweep the South-east. The running mate of the opposition candidate will most likely be from the SE and that will really affect the results. Another angle is that an opposition candidate like ORJI KALU can contest and win some SE states which will affect GJ base negatively.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by dinggle: 8:17pm On May 13, 2010
Jonathan and Sambo are not the dream ticket we require!, lets look up to alternative parties and see what they have to offer. I would have preferred Ribadu or atleast Jonathan should have shown independence and not be bullied into picking someone from OBJ or gov. forum choice.

When will OBJ even die?, I'm getting tired of seeing that man, the fact that u could say "Jesus cant conduct a credible election in Nigeria" is a tell tell sign that he's an occultic man. I dare him to say such of Mohammad! The hausa's will call for nothing but his head.

Goodbye Jonathan, you just lost ur chance for re-election.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by naso2(m): 8:23pm On May 13, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Forget story. We seem to be overrating the office of VP in nigeria.

Before UMYA illness even ministers were more powerful than GJ. If GJ is ready to perform a weak VP can not stop him, he has no choice than to learn to be a performer
The only ground where VP is really important is when the unexpected happens ,like UMYA's case.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 8:25pm On May 13, 2010
@paddy_lo

You cant be so sure that if GJ contests he will sweep the South-east. The running mate of the opposition candidate will most likely be from the SE and that will really affect the results. Another angle is that an opposition candidate like ORJI KALU can contest and win some SE states which will affect GJ base negatively.

Jonathan Goodlucks wife is from IMO state. . .

I am assuring you that easterners will vote for him en masse. . .some are already calling him an igbo man

As for ORJI Kalu contesting,he should come forth and waste his money
also the more candidates the better, it will only split the opposition vote,

Orji kalu can win one state in the east, tinubu can win lagos,and buhari can win 6 or 7 states in the north thats ok
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by ayo2009ice(m): 8:27pm On May 13, 2010
my people let us pray 4 our nation i know with prayer we are going to make it real
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by naso2(m): 8:29pm On May 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

Jonathan Goodlucks wife is from IMO state. . .

I am assuring you that easterners will vote for him en masse. . .some are already calling him an igbo man

As for ORJI Kalu contesting,he should come forth and waste his money
also the more candidates the better, it will only split the opposition vote,

Orji kalu can win one state in the east, tinubu can win lagos,and buhari can win 6 or 7 states in the north thats ok

Hmmmm. never knew. E be like say me self go go look for IMO girl o grin grin
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On May 13, 2010
Before 'dugbedugbe' Goodluck came in as VP, we had Atiku who proved that nothing in the constitution bars a VP from doing more than just sit back as an some houseboy! So the position of VP does matter. By the way, these two men practically have no less than a year of experience delivering on promises made both at the national and state levels, Why again as some already looking at moving them up for another term?
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 8:36pm On May 13, 2010
Before 'dugbedugbe' Goodluck came in as VP, we had Atiku who proved that nothing in the constitution bars a VP from doing more than just sit back as an some houseboy!

yes but Atikus case is different because he was there for close to 7yrs before he started to grow wings

also sambo if confirmed is only going to be in office for 6months or so before PDP convention holds

if he plays his cards right he will be the front runner for President come 2015

since GJ cannot be sworn in as president more than twice

Also as far as Sambo is concerned it is better to be a VP of Nigeria for the next 4yrs than a Gov in Kaduna state for the next 4yrs

so there is no point in rocking the boat for now
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by edoyad(m): 8:39pm On May 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

u guys give OBJ too much credit, The power he had was the power of incumbency. . .

This resides now with GJ

Witness how a dying and unseen Yaradua was able to hold the nation to ransom

The Nigerian Presidency is a very powerful institution for a number of reasons

but mostly it is because

1) Most Nigerian politicians are corrupt so they tend to support the incumbent to save their neck from EFCC(witness ogbulafors current predicament)
2)Most Politicians and traditional rulers want a share of the national cake in form of oil blocks allocations, therefore they will want to be close to anyone in the centre

I am making a prediction that Jonathan will run for president in 2011 and will win,
Right now he has the south south,south east and middle belt states, in the bag

With OBJs help he can get the south west except lagos

With sambos help he can get Kaduna,Kwara and Niger state

and that is all he needs, 20 states or thereabouts, let the opposition divide the rest

I guess you have a point with the 'power of the incumbency' theory.
On the other hand you guys make me laugh with your "19 northern states" thingy, what the F is that ?
Please some one should call out those so called "19 northern states" that will put IBB or what ever in power so this discussion can get more interesting.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On May 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

yes but Atikus case is different because he was there for close to 7yrs before he started to grow wings

also sambo if confirmed is only going to be in office for 6months or so before PDP convention holds

if he plays his cards right he will be the front runner for President come 2015

since GJ cannot be sworn in as president more than twice

Also as far as Sambo is concerned it is better to be a VP of Nigeria for the next 4yrs than a Gov in Kaduna state for the next 4yrs

so there is no point in rocking the boat for now

Or it could possibly be that Atiku was Ok with the president's decisions until he sensed things were changing. The point is Nothing in the constitution stops a VP from having a mind of his own and Atiku showed that to folks like you and even the current president. That the current president chose to 'play' boy-boy while he was VP, as some are all too willing to believe, does not mean VPs are somehow limited to playing the same. Again, the constitution DOES NOT state a VP cannot have a mind of his/her own.

There is nothing wrong with being Governor of Kaduna state . . . not sure why elevating a mediocre to VP status is better to the people of Kaduna or the country as a whole. So, I don't get the point you are trying to make here on this. What we have now are two people, both with limited experience actually delivering on any project or promise to the people so far, in the highest seats in a nation of over 150 million. I don't see how this is different from what we had only a couple of months ago. I would rather wait for them to prove themselves before canvassing for a second term that could possibly be a repeat of the last 3 years.

For those claiming now that this is about Obasanjo( I don't know why people are still obsessed with such thinking), do you realize that Sambo is fin-gered as an IBB ally? So, is Obasanjo now rooting for IBB having a leg in now( won't be suprised if someone actually weaved some story linking the two men now)?
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 8:49pm On May 13, 2010
On the other hand you guys make me laugh with your "19 northern states" thingy, what the F is that ?  
Please some one should call out those so called "19 northern states" that will put IBB or what ever in power so this discussion can get more interesting.

lol i never thought there was one North either. . .The proponents of one north only do so when they are not chopping
but when they start to chop they forget that benue or taraba is north too. .

Here are the Northern states Jonathan can win outright with no stress

1. Kwara
2. Kogi
3. Benue
4. Taraba
5. Plateau
6. Kaduna
7. Adamawa
8. Nassarawa
9. Niger

States he can do a strong showing in include
1. Bauchi
2. Sokoto
3. Katsina
4. Kano(If PDP nominates abachas son as i heard the crook is popular)
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by stuffs4me(m): 8:55pm On May 13, 2010
@dinggle
Jonathan and Sambo are not the dream ticket we require!, lets look up to alternative parties and see what they have to offer. I would have preferred Ribadu or atleast Jonathan should have shown independence and not be bullied into picking someone from OBJ or gov. forum choice.

Ribadu cant b chosen as VP for the following reasons
1. He was just a policeman i.e. civil servant and not a politician, so he doesn’t have any political base
2. The way he carried on @ EFCC made him to develop powerfull enemies. some even feel he was malicious in carrying out his duties.
3. He was like a OBJ’s dog that barks at OBJ’s perceived enemies
4. He  doesn’t have any credibility with his disgraceful exit from the police. i.e running away or AWOL
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 9:00pm On May 13, 2010
Or it could possibly be that Atiku was Ok with the president's decisions until he sensed things were changing. The point is Nothing in the constitution stops a VP from having a mind of his own and Atiku showed that to folks like you and even the current president. That the current president chose to 'play' boy-boy while he was VP, as some are all too willing to believe, does not mean VPs are somehow limited to playing the same. Again, the constitution DOES NOT state a VP cannot have a mind of his/her own.

There is nothing wrong with being Governor of Kaduna state . . . not sure why elevating a mediocre to VP status is better to the people of Kaduna or the country as a whole. So, I don't get the point you are trying to make here on this. What we have now are two people, both with limited experience actually delivering on any project or promise to the people so far, in the highest seats in a nation of over 150 million. I don't see how this is different from what we had only a couple of months ago. I would rather wait for them to prove themselves before canvassing for a second term that could possibly be a repeat of the last 3 years.

[b]Whatever Atikus motive thats ok by me, the point is he didnt start making much noise till he wanted to succeed OBJ
As for VPs having a mind of their own sure, but the President also has a prerogative of dropping the VP after one term. . .that is why most VPs are loyal at least during the first term
In america Joe Biden might have a mind of his own,but he dare not go against obama, VPs are to be seen and not heard too much

As for your other point i prefer this duo of GJ and Sambo to any other thieving individual like IBB or Buhari
Also since u dont really like much of what Fashola is doing in lagos,(according to u)
i would put it to u that u cant name one Nigerian Governor that is performing well as u put it

so whats the point,if he chose any other Governor u will complain, if he chose one of the senators u will also complain
Politics is a game of horse trading,in Nigeria there are many interests to consider

This particular seat has been allocated to the North West zone since they are absent in the top tier of Nigerias presidency
so sambos choice is ok as far as am concerned[/b]
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On May 13, 2010
paddy_lo:
   so whats the point,if he chose any other Governor u will complain, if he chose one of the senators u will also complain

That is a rather silly way to argue whatever point you are trying to argue here.

paddy_lo:
  Politics is a game of horse trading,in Nigeria there are many interests to consider

This particular seat has been allocated to the North West zone since they are absent in the top tier of Nigerias presidency
so sambos choice is ok as far as am concerned

This is not about west or south. We know for a fact that the VP is not muzzled by the constitution, so Atiku, Jonathan could have been vocal about their stance from day one. We also know for a fact that the constitution does not support zoning of the presidency. Jonathan chose, of his own, to be act the BOYBOY, something I highly doubt because I believe he was in line with Yar adua's ideas from the start, and the fact that he has done little to separate himself from the old kind of goes on to show this was likely the case. That being said, choosing two UNQUALIFIED people and canvassing for their re-election long before they even prove themselves capable of handling the office is akin to calling for a continuation of the old.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by stuffs4me(m): 9:11pm On May 13, 2010
@paddy lo
5. Here are the Northern states Jonathan can win outright with no stress

1. Kwara
2. Kogi
3. Benue
4. Taraba
5. Plateau
6. Kaduna
7. Adamawa
8. Nassarawa
9. Niger

States he can do a strong showing in include
1. Bauchi
2. Sokoto
3. Katsina
4. Kano(If PDP nominates abachas son as i heard the crook is popular)

Pls dont make me laugh. Kwara, kogi adamawa, Kaduna, nasarawa and niger will not pick GJ. Kaduna may b an exception if he picks namadi sambo as VP.
As for bauchi, sokoto katsina and kano, he might as well forget it
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by kabarka(m): 9:14pm On May 13, 2010
Congrat sambo,
lets keep our fingers crossed as activities unfold.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Abagworo(m): 9:18pm On May 13, 2010
i was previously in support of ibb because i thought gj would not run.my choice of ibb was in comparison to the two other contestants atiku and buhari.but with gj on the block i have only one choice.JONATHAN4LIFE!! i doubt if ibb will still run.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 9:23pm On May 13, 2010
Pls dont make me laugh. Kwara, kogi adamawa, Kaduna, nasarawa and niger will not pick GJ. Kaduna may b an exception if he picks namadi sambo as VP.
As for bauchi, sokoto katsina and kano, he might as well forget it

Its obvious u dont know how politics works in Nigeria. .
It is the Governors that drive how ppl will vote. . .

all the state above have PDP Governors who will push for Jonathan. . for selfish interests
For example Murtala Nyako will support Jonathan because he is fighting Atiku and so on

The sultan of sokoto once he is settled will campaign for GJ
Katsina Governor is fighting Yaraduas ppl in katsina

once he supports GJ he will use the presidency to help him in Katsina

If PDP wins Kano they will do ok in the presidential election(dont forget all GJ needs is 25% of the vote)

so watch and learn how politics is played. .  . .its only 9months or so anyway
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On May 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

[size=13pt]It is the Governors that drive how ppl will vote[/size]   . . .

all the state above have PDP Governors who will push for Jonathan. . for selfish interests
For example Murtala Nyako will support Jonathan because he is fighting Atiku and so on

If PDP wins Kano they will do ok in the presidential election(dont forget all GJ needs is 25% of the vote)

so watch and learn how politics is played. .  . .its only 9months or so anyway

dude, you need to go take a course in Nigerian politics please . . .  with the statement in bold, it is somewhat clear you have little idea how things are run up there yourself. I don't pay much attention to the inner squabbles but I know the statements in bold is not it.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 9:29pm On May 13, 2010
This is not about west or south. We know for a fact that the VP is not muzzled by the constitution, so Atiku, Jonathan could have been vocal about their stance from day one. We also know for a fact that the constitution does not support zoning of the presidency. Jonathan chose, of his own, to be act the BOYBOY, something I highly doubt because I believe he was in line with Yar adua's ideas from the start, and the fact that he has done little to separate himself from the old kind of goes on to show this was likely the case. That being said, choosing two UNQUALIFIED people and canvassing for their re-election long before they even prove themselves capable of handling the office is akin to calling for a continuation of the old

Yar adua died Jonathan was sworn in nobody chose him,what did u expect him to do decline to be sworn in?

and i think Jonathan is more than qualified for his job,he is the only Nigerian i know that has gone from deputy Governor,to Governor,on to Vice President and now President,in a 7yr period

If that is not enough experience in the Nigerian context i dont know what is. . .

hope u know that good leaders are usually those that can humble themselves down,especially in Nigeria with its over egotistical politicians

If u can name me one politician relatively young now that has more experience in Governance than Jonathan please i am all ears
because i am sure u will be hard pressed to find one
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 9:36pm On May 13, 2010
dude, you need to go take a course in Nigerian politics please . . .  with the statement in bold, it is somewhat clear you have little idea how things are run up there yourself. I don't pay much attention to the inner squabbles but I know the statement in bold is not even close!

but that is clearly how things are. . .the Governors control the political machinery in their respective states

u cannot go to Kwara state and make people vote for someone that doesnt have sarakis blessing

u cannot go to Rivers state and uproot Amaechi if he throws his weight behing GJ

u cant uproot Fashola in lagos,as long as he stays in power till next yr and not impeached

and u cant uproot Peter obi in anambra

or Jang in Plateau

Nigerian Governors are power brokers,that is why OBJ had to bow to them during 2003
and then threaten them with EFCC to fall in line in 2007. . .

with the Governors on your side u are already 80% home
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 13, 2010
Paddy Lo

Jonathan Goodlucks wife is an Okrika Woman. River State.

By the way the idea that anybody will win the votes in the SouthEast merely because they or their wife is from the SouthEast is a little patronising to Ndigbo and I hope they don't buy that crap.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by edoyad(m): 9:48pm On May 13, 2010
Berom, Idoma and Ebiras say no to Jonathan candidature ? grin grin LOL .
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by stuffs4me(m): 9:49pm On May 13, 2010
@paddy lo

so watch and learn how politics is played. .  . .its only 9months or so anyway

Now I know this is wishfull thinkin,  U really don’t know about d north and even d country as a whole

with d new face of INEC, i hope we'l b able to have elections and not selections
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 9:49pm On May 13, 2010
Paddy Lo

Jonathan Goodlucks wife is an Okrika Woman. River State.

By the way the idea that anybody will win the votes in the SouthEast merely because they or their wife is from the SouthEast is a little patronising to Ndigbo and I hope they don't buy that crap.

ok i swear i read somewhere her parents were from imo state. .but she was born in PH,anyway most PH people are underground igbos anyway

Nevertheless,the south east is for GJ to loose,they can negotiate with him for another Niger bridge and other things they need much easier
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by paddylo1(m): 9:56pm On May 13, 2010
Now I know this is wishfull thinkin, U really don’t know about d north and even d country as a whole

which North are u talking about. . is it the 9 sharia states of the far north that vote ANPP

or the rest of the North?, there is no one North,its not even divided in two

its split into pieces. . . .every politician thinks of his own personal interest

the so-called traditional rulers are thinking of their own personal interest

when buhari,ibb and atiku start to split the core northern vote it will only make it easier for jonathan

i have told u guys no need to argue too much,wait till jan 2011
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Nominates Kaduna Governor, Sambo, As VP by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On May 13, 2010
paddy_lo:

[color=#000099][b]but that is clearly how things are. . .the Governors control the political machinery in their respective states
u cannot go to Kwara state and make people vote for someone that doesnt have sarakis blessing
u cannot go to Rivers state and uproot Amaechi if he throws his weight behing GJ
u cant uproot Fashola in lagos,as long as he stays in power till next yr and not impeached
and u cant uproot Peter obi in anambra

And here I thought Peter Obi was fairly re-elected, according to the Anambra people, first in democratic history, by the way! Anambra was hailed as the first fair election in a long time, not necessarily to the credit of the governor. 

The situation is not as simple as you make it. Jonathan PURCHASING the presidency is next to impossible since he does not have enough to even try it. His best bet is making sure that the next elections and fair and by the book. No guarantees he will win even with that! If he does not prove himself WORTH THE VOTES, he will likely not get them.

paddy_lo:

or Jang in Plateau
Nigerian Governors are power brokers, that is why OBJ had to bow to them during 2003
and then threaten them with EFCC to fall in line in 2007. . .

with the Governors on your side u are already 80% home

I don't think it is as simple as you try to make it. Take the case in Anambra pre Obi, for instance. Governors used to be at the mercy of the actual power brokers, and no matter what side the governors put themselves, the power brokers used to be hailed as the final decision makers. Some Governors may have some power but usually, it is beyond them to decide to gets to win or not. See the case in Delta that allowed someone like Oshiomole come in.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If There's No Partiality, You Won't Be Governor Yourself" - Tinubu To Fashola / Saraki’s Legal Team Denies Walking Out On Tribunal / Anambra Central Senate Poll: INEC Shuts Out PDP, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.