Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage (35843 Views)

Groom Disappears On His Wedding Day, Bride Goes Ahead With The Event In U.K / My Fiancee Betrayed Me: Should I Go Ahead With The Marriage Plans? / Man Caught His Fiancee In Bed With His Best Man 3 Weeks To Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Jainine(f): 10:34am On Apr 25, 2018
AloneTK:

Nice comment you have there. But I'd say we shouldn't even allow options aside from the first you mentioned.
My wife is a medical doc and I remember the first thing she asked me during our courtship (stylishly though) was my genotype. Na dem dey treat these kids but even many of them ain't willing to take chances.

you may feel the first option is the only one you can pull off. But there are others out there willing to consider some of those other ones. buttom line knowing what works for you.

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by badesco(m): 11:00am On Apr 25, 2018
Considering the unpalatable consequences that could result from it, you cannot use force to separate them but prayer. Keep praying for your brother and something good will happen. Wish you luck.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by abimic(m): 11:02am On Apr 25, 2018
Firstly, if your brother chooses to marry AS with him AS, is your concern but shouldn't over work you as we've all got our lives to live. Infact, that the Two don't know the emotional, cost, damage ,disgrace and painful implications of their inadvertent and uninspiring adventure is foolhardy, but they're blinded by LOVE, over fondness, fear of living without each other and finding suitors afterwards which are inconsequential when challenges eventually set in. Call your brother, sit him brotherly down believing you both are mature, not telling him to quit his relationship before you're painted a bad name which is needless, explain to him causes of having a child with cancer, effects, cost of treating any, the stress involved, the trauma, pain, restlessness, eventually death in most cases I've seen depending on age which I know he is aware of already but your ability to convince him and paint it differently is key here and don't be quick to not mention the church aspect of been prayerful and a poor chances of escaping it to be 1 of every 40 if he's that lucky, but I'd rather be medical than wait for manna from heaven. Take a time out and speak to the supposed nurse not forcing an idea down her throat but put your thinking cap on like you did to your brother and make the most of the opportunity.
A common saying is, how can the living appreciate life when they didn't visit the hospital or the freed appreciating freedom when they didn't visit prison. On your next move, on his birthday, plan to take them out, visit African Cancer Centre in Lagos and see kids living in pains and discomfort with tears, then hopefully that can change them. If they still remain resolute afterwards, just support their union, they've chosen to carry their cross come what May and there should be no pity when it eventually happened, I just pity the lady, as the man can marry a second wife or father a baby outside, like nothing really happened.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Charly68: 11:06am On Apr 25, 2018
Tell your brother he is tempting God..if after knowing the truth he still want to do the abominable,he will surely face his music for ignoring the truth. They mistake foolishness for faith..I got two couples who tried that but today they are separated out of frustration..the same faith they claimed couldn't sustain them when the problem started ..
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by kingsleybrave(m): 11:16am On Apr 25, 2018
WHAT WAS THE GENOTYPE OF THE FIRST PARENT? ARE WE SAYING GOD WAS INPERFECT IN THE UNION? AM NOT JUST UNDERSTANDING!
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by comtem2011: 11:29am On Apr 25, 2018
CONFAMA:

You probably don't understand what I meant. Let's assume they decide to have ten children. What is the probability that at least one of them would be SS compared to just having two kids.

So the fewer the number of children, the lesser the probability that at least one of them will be a sickler.
What if the 2 kids are SS?

I know of 2 families that the have 2 kids and the 2 are SS from both families. God has given us the wisdom to choose between evil and good, which means u can choose to be on the right path or the wrong path. Prevention is better than cure, better for them to take the right decision today and not been self centred all in the name of love. They should think about their unborn children, do they want them to suffer health challenges for the rest of their lives?

True, there are testimonies but not everyone has that grace.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by NoToPile: 11:39am On Apr 25, 2018
What I find annoying is that the OP is chanelling all his anger to the lady. Why not warn your own bro to stay away from her. You have not right to call her names.

She's coming to ruin the life of your bro bla bla bla, is your bro also not trying to ruin his life too.

By the way it's their choice you can only advise.

I wouldn't advice anyone to do it, their own compatible partner will come.

I am AS too, had partners that were AS it was painful but then we all met our own compatible partners later. Mind you we technically didn't even date, that was one of the questions that would determine if we were to take it further.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by buoye1(m): 12:00pm On Apr 25, 2018
If i were to be in this situation, I'll go violent and wild... I'll threaten the both of them after talking to them gently and they still insist! I'll make sure life is miserable for her... Don't tell me it is non of my business because my brother is my business!
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by comtem2011: 12:03pm On Apr 25, 2018
Haryorbammmy:
In this age when you can easily get the baby tested once the pregnancy is 3 months and you flush it out of the result comes out SS. Chairman, leave your brother alone and go start your family. You all just think it is easy for everyone to just let go of their lives ones. Your brother emotional level might be different from urs. So leave that lover boy alone!
I am sure u r against abortion. Ask yourself if abortion is Godly. Also, did you consider the emotional trauma the woman will be going through on each evacuation? apart from that, what if she eventually have a damaged womb in the process of flushing out all the time?

We need to think of the outcome of our actions before taking acting.

Those talking about IVF, can everyone afford it?

From the religion aspect: We like testing God too much.

True, prayer turns things around, but we shouldn't walk blindly.

Yoruba peopla will say "Folorunsho to n fi okun ogede gun ope".

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Blonchilli(m): 12:24pm On Apr 25, 2018
ranmoor:
If your bro is rich or d wife, then there is no prob. They can conceive thru IVF. Using in vitro fertilization, they can fertilise the healthy cells and discard the sickle cells... They just have to make sure baby making is thru ivf..
Anything aside that is a real problem! Even the child will not forgive them.
Peace!
You're right. I had a classmate back in secondary school and I didn't know he was a sickle cell patient until he did while we were all in the University. He was a medical student and this boy was so intelligent. People confuse religion with logic. If those kids become sickle cell patients and they find out that their parents foolishly carried on with the marriage despite the warning they'll hate the parents, hate everyone that played a role, hate their live and could commit suicide. Majority of what we're going through today are because of the foolishness of our parents, they saw the signs but went in because of religion belief, this man is about to make the same mistake.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by comtem2011: 12:28pm On Apr 25, 2018
OkoYibo:

Love is not blind in this century. Go and read up on PGD testing. CVS and amniocentesis tests.
Please sir, this is not just for his brother now but for the general populace going through same situation. The question is: Can everyone afford these tests you listed? That's my own question here. True, u seeked information, u were informed and u have the power finacially to back it up. What of those that don't have the finance to back up their information like you? Should they still go ahead blindly and fall into a pit?
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by hayzed1090: 12:29pm On Apr 25, 2018
Pls o house, am AS and my fiancee is AC. Are we good to go?
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Kinggnicole(f): 12:31pm On Apr 25, 2018
DopeAngel:
the thing on my mind right now to do is to warn the girl to seriously stay away from my family and brother or else she wont like the treatment she will be getting from me. i will never ever support the marriage. i am not ready to be an uncle to a sickler. the girl wants to ruin my family. my brother is been perpetually ignorant and foolish. i really dont know what is wrong with him. too much disappointment is not enough reason to go ahead with this marriage. i am tired and unhappy. please i need serious advice on how to end this evil relationship. lalasticlala mynd44 ishilove any other moderator please help a brother in this problem

mtcheew.... what of your brother that wants to ruin her life? yeye
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by comtem2011: 12:36pm On Apr 25, 2018
laudate:

Do you think everyone's pockets are the same? Is it everyone that spends 5 million on a wedding? Don't believe all the hype you read in the society pages of several newspapers or online publications. A lot of people are still getting married for far less amounts, in Nigeria. undecided

Go to the same LUTH you mentioned earlier, and see how patients die like flies due to lack of adequate financial resources to buy medication, and undergo treatment that is critical to their healthcare. I have seen a widow lose her 3 week old baby before, due to lack of funds to buy drugs, inside that same LUTH ward. undecided

Are you the one going to stabilise the OP's brother financially? shocked What if he gets married and they are not financially stable enough to do PGD, CVS and IVF? Even IVF has its own failure rate too, depending on age and other factors! I know women who did IVF 5 times, and yet - no pregnancy. sad
I love this. The truth is always bitter.

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by eyinjuege: 12:45pm On Apr 25, 2018
Angelawhite:

Would you be happy with your parents if you were born a sickler? This is not about the parents here, it's about the child. I lost my best friend at the age of 18 to sickle cell anemia. The pain was just too much for him. He'd wake up in the night screaming and yelling and begging to die.
Would you like your nephew to suffer this just because the couple are adults and it's no business of yours.

Something that should be openly criticised in this age of modernity is being encouraged because you serve a living God.
Jump in a lake of fire and watch your living God save you.
Marry an AS with your AS genotype and watch the living God deliver you

What's my business if you decide to worship Satan?
Please get off my mention. I wonder what's bringing religion into this.
You're talking of age of modernity? Nonsense. You're still behind in the 19th century.
At this age of modernity, why should genotype be a prerequisite to marriage?
You lost your best friend to sickle cell disease? Boo hoo, cry me a river. I lost a good friend to cancer of the breast. Does it mean that since a lot of cancers are inherited genetically, people with a history of cancers in their families shouldn't marry each other?
Please learn to see things outside your closeted mind. Because
Your child will not be happy with you if born a sickler? Yen,yen. The child would be happier if never born then.
As though we dont have sicklers in the world doing alright, and bringing joys to their families. Young people also die even without being sicklers, so is death supposed to be a scare tactic?
Should genetic disorders that can be inherited be a prohibition to marriage? So many diseases have some genetic component to them, even things as common as diabetes, cancers. So people with such family history in their parents shouldnt marry each other?
When the wedding day of this couple arrives, you and the OP can carry thugs to disrupt it

3 Likes

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Tony142: 1:05pm On Apr 25, 2018
My parents make this BIG mistake, and since my childhood me and my siblings have been suferring for what we did not know about

Pls advice him not to do it, cos he will regret it soon, and it will not b funny

**talking from experience**
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by comtem2011: 1:30pm On Apr 25, 2018
Tony142:
My parents make this BIG mistake, and since my childhood me and my siblings have been suferring for what we did not know about

Pls advice him not to do it, cos he will regret it soon, and it will not b funny

**talking from experience**
Its well with u bro!!!!!

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by JhyMedex: 1:59pm On Apr 25, 2018
oceandivee:
Just take your brother to any hematological centre in any close by tertiary health institution, so that he could see for himself children suffering from sickle cell disease. If he is ready to go that way for life, then leave him to his fate and count yourself out. Goodluck

OP listen to dis advice...Beg ..plead ..wit ur bro mot tp go ahead wit dt marriage...He shld pity d innocent kids his gon bring into dia world 2 suffer 4 a period of mayb 18yrs n die in agony..He shld tink of d financial constraints having a ward wit SS brings..dis myt wreck d luv he rinks he has 4 dis woman ATM..
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Peculariconcept(m): 2:00pm On Apr 25, 2018
I actually never wanted to comment of this. But guess i still need to cheap in a little.
After my High School, the first company i worked with made it compulsory for all staffs to undergo complete screening at the company chosen hospitals. (I mean well equipped ones). The results was sent to the company directly. Later when employed, a copy was given to me. I saw my blood group & Genotype as AA. Fast forward to about 12 - 15yrs later i was in a serious relationship with this beautiful, well cultured young damsel. We dated for about 3 years. in the cause of dating she has access to all my documents especially the result of the comprehensive check-up i did earlier. Knowing her Genotype to be AS she believe the relationship is save. But about a month to our introduction she started having this mixed feeling. Being a nurse she decided to carry out another check for both of us and she is ready to foot the bills. Alas! my result shows AS as well as hers. We couldn't believe it. She went to 2 more centers for confirmation and the result was same. it becomes an issue, as she started thinking and crying for about 2 weeks. After serious admonishment from her parent and brothers. We took our decision
1. Never to disclose it to anyone aside our immediate families who are aware.
2. knowing fully well what we're venturing into, the possible outcomes, repercussions and way to go. (Are we ready for it?)

Today, we're blessed with 2 wonderful kids. (A girl 6yrs (AS) & boy 3yrs(AA))
Sincerely it wasn't a joke neither was it easy. But one thing we did that tend to work for us is asking God to take the wheel.
We said, If we're not meant for one another, let the relationship be destroyed before our wedding day.
We never for once regret taking this risky decision.

I will never ever advice/encourage anyone to take the risk.

So bro. All you can do is continue to take to them both, especially the lady because she'll be the one most affected. If possible pray for God intervention to scatter their relationship if it'll bring pains and future agony. Shalom!!!

3 Likes

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Angelawhite(m): 2:16pm On Apr 25, 2018
eyinjuege:

What's my business if you decide to worship Satan?
Please get off my mention. I wonder what's bringing religion into this.
You're talking of age of modernity? Nonsense. You're still behind in the 19th century.
At this age of modernity, why should genotype be a prerequisite to marriage?
You lost your best friend to sickle cell disease? Boo hoo, cry me a river. I lost a good friend to cancer of the breast. Does it mean that since a lot of cancers are inherited genetically, people with a history of cancers in their families shouldn't marry each other?
Please learn to see things outside your closeted mind. Because
Your child will not be happy with you if born a sickler? Yen,yen. The child would be happier if never born then.
As though we dont have sicklers in the world doing alright, and bringing joys to their families. Young people also die even without being sicklers, so is death supposed to be a scare tactic?
Should genetic disorders that can be inherited be a prohibition to marriage? So many diseases have some genetic component to them, even things as common as diabetes, cancers. So people with such family history in their parents shouldnt marry each other?
When the wedding day of this couple arrives, you and the OP can carry thugs to disrupt it

I find your argument riddled with a lot of fallacies.
Smoke igbo because others did
Produce a sickler because diabetes check is not a prerequisite for marriage
Produce a sickler because young people die of various ailment
Pass this advice to your children and children's children because cancer killed your friend
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by eyinjuege: 2:43pm On Apr 25, 2018
Angelawhite:

I find your argument riddled with a lot of fallacies.
Smoke igbo because others did
Produce a sickler because diabetes check is not a prerequisite for marriage
Produce a sickler because young people die of various ailment
Pass this advice to your children and children's children because cancer killed your friend

You're still not making any sense.
Its non of your business if I have a child with sickle cell disease. Non of your business at all, and you should learn to keep your nose where it belongs.
If you decide not to marry someone based on their genotype, nobody gives a flying hoot. Its your choice. Same way you should stay on your lane and not carry other people's matter on your head.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to know the fallacies you claim to have found in my statement, just to enlighten anyone reading it
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by WriteousDavid(m): 2:57pm On Apr 25, 2018
Ain't a sickler, I found these verses stranded in the mind of a sickler,so I did help let it out.

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by laudate: 3:50pm On Apr 25, 2018
Cindino20:
I m forced to drop my comment after reading this..it is not my place to tell an adult what to do...to each is own....

my brother have you thought about what you re about to get into and the implications of the advise you re dishing out. thinj about some of the points below.

to advise people or to get married when you both are carriers in a country like Nigeria with the very bad state of the health care and bad shape of the economy is actually not a wise decision.

Even if the would be couple were to reside in a country with free and more advanced health care system i wont advise them to go on.

Do you ve an health insurance plan that covers these treatments? Do you even have an health insurance plan at all? if no will any health insurance take you on with such issues..i doubt cos they aint no fools and are set up to make money ..to them you re just a bad client that will be avoided cos your future family will viewed as a client with "pre existing condition"

Today you re okay and can afford sampling and IVf...the economy is not risk proof and things can turn in a split second and really go sour especially in Nigeria's case where the economy is highly dependent on oil.

if things go south and your economic condition changes, will you be able to afford these treatments? is it not better to avoid them than set up your life to be dependent on such things?

I keep hearing sampling the Foetus baby and then do an abortion if the result is not favourable.

why in 2018 would any sane person gamble with things they can easily control..The science is there ..preventive medicine is cheaper. why put yourselves through this?

I am liberal as it gets but i dont see why someone will set up his life to regularly sample and do an abortion. Abortion should be done when needed and it is not something you should plan to do regularly. the effect of abortion on your would be wife you still dont know...if you were to be the one (the lady) would you regularly subject yourself to such...if the abortion was to be conducted regularly on you will you still go on with this plan?

are you also aware that before an abortion..you need counselling because of the emotional implications? have you thought about the effect of the emotional implication of the abortions on your relationship?

IVF cost abt 10-15K usd. if you go down this route do you ve the money stashed up already and can you afford this for the number of kids you want.

Unless you re an otedola with the Money..this sounds like a no brainer to me man.

Adopting seems to be an option..can you deal with that?

love is beautiful....dont mess it up..if you really love that girl and you love yourself ..you will take a walk...you dont always get the things you love...sometimes you ve to let go.

In all...I wish you the very best going forward!

I m starting to think that those pushing the IVF and sampling technicques re people who ve made such mistakes but dont wanna own up to it or medical professionals who stand to benefit from it....smh!

@Dopeangel....Talk to your bro once again and if he insists so be it..you cant do much and dont involve outsiders just close friends and immmedialte family.

btw you keep hammering on the effect it will have on your family..if after the warning, your bro decides to continue cos he wants to solve a temporal problem with a permanent one...then it should be his problem and not that of your family..it sounds harsh but yes you ve your own life and the mistakes of others in this case one that can be avoided should not have negative effect on your fams happiness...If he is man enough to neglect the science and pull a movie script on you guys then be man enough to also allow him face the consequences of his actions..you cant eat your cake and have it.

you ve done well as a brother..maybe a bit too pushy cos you want the best for him.

Guy, I didn't realise we still have such intelligent people like you on NL. undecided May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life. cool Thank you for educating him, my brother. The cost of adopting technologically advanced techniques in healthcare, keeps rising in Nigeria due to the foreign exchange disparity. All the equipment, reagents and other stuff used to carry out PGD, CVS, IVF etc, keeps rising due to the cost of acquiring the right equipment, to carry out these tests and procedures. sad

Today, IVF is about =N=3 million, tomorrow only God knows how much it would be, especially when we do not manufacture any of the inputs used to carry out the procedure, locally. sad Electricity in many medical centres is in short supply and for many hospitals, the cost of generating their own energy is on the high side, and keeps increasing.

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by laudate: 3:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
Fhowe:
Nigerians just like to discourage one another it is even 150k we are no longer in the 80s and with competition it will still come down .
How? shocked Are you aware that most of the things used for these tests, are imported and dependent on availability of foreign exchange? What was the USD rate in the '80s, and how much is it now? In the '80s, what was the cost of a CS operation, and today how much does it cost now?

tunjilana:
Firstly there are two options for them and they both require courage and a lot of money

No 1. IVF (which can fail and is crazily expensive. genetic diagnosis + IVF could gulp close to 5-6 million for 2 cycles)---I advise they visit a fertility clinic and confirm the cost first

No 2. Prenatal diagnosis - Test the pregnancy at 10-12 weeks and abort if SS. This is emotionally draining and considering you are not clear on the number of abortions you will end up doing

In summary, this decision is not for the faint hearted or lazy. If your brother embarks on this option and funds become a major issue coupled with a wife who isn't financially ready as well, meeehn that love go evaporate o

I advise he goes about to understand the cost(financial and emotionally) of avoiding a sickle cell birth and if it is something they can deal then goodluck else simply find a woman you are compatible with.

Regards

Regards
Tellemall:
What if that SS child is the first or second child?

Looking at it mathematically, that particular 0.25 will occur randomly unless they have full control of other dependent variables such as their gene transmission, which we know they don't.

That is a rather high risk to take. Lives shouldn't be gambled on.

God bless you both for speaking the truth! undecided You have both said it all! sad Everyone is tossing around that word 'abortion,' as if it is a slang for a new tie or shirt. It is an emotionally draining procedure, for most women. I have a friend in church who had to go through it several years ago, and she still confesses that she has nightmares about the incident and keeps hearing the cries of a child, in her dream. cryMost of the time she wakes up restless, with a heavy burden of guilt on her mind. A woman would have to harden her conscience, in order to be able to go through that procedure, repeatedly.

It takes a toll on them, emotionally! undecided
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by laudate: 4:02pm On Apr 25, 2018
pandax:
I reside in PH and not abroad. In fact the cost of PGS & IVF has gone down now. There are clinics like Nordica, Bridge and the rest in Nigeria that can comfortably carry out the procedure with their foreign partners. it is doable. I married my wife with my last N1m in my account and I knew that we were not compatible because of our genotype. I love her and was able to do it because we did not tell anyone except my mother-in-law who supported us. Till today, we have not done white wedding as most churches refused wedding us. I told my wife to follow me that God will see us through. Today, I have tens of millions within 2 years of marriage and my healthy triplets are on the way. Maybe, after delivery we will go back and see if churches will wed us.

The fact that you are lucky to have tens of millions in your account within 2 years after your marriage, does NOT mean the next man or the next couple who follow your footsteps, would do so. undecided IVF is still not cheap, and is still beyond reach for many people in today's economy. It is best to be practical, and NOT build castles in the sand.

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Angelawhite(m): 5:41pm On Apr 25, 2018
eyinjuege:

You're still not making any sense.
Its non of your business if I have a child with sickle cell disease. Non of your business at all, and you should learn to keep your nose where it belongs.
If you decide not to marry someone based on their genotype, nobody gives a flying hoot. Its your choice. Same way you should stay on your lane and not carry other people's matter on your head.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to know the fallacies you claim to have found in my statement, just to enlighten anyone reading it

It is not my business if it is not your business.

But it's my business if it's my brother's business and everyone dying of ignorance or blinded by love and desperation.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by ranmoor: 6:38pm On Apr 25, 2018
hayzed1090:
Pls o house, am AS and my fiancee is AC. Are we good to go?

Partner X Partner Y Partner X partner Y

AA AA Can Marry AS AS Not to Marry

AA AS Can Marry AS SS Not to Marry

SS AA Can Marry SS SS Not to Marry

AA SC Can Marry AS SC Not to Marry

AA AC Can Marry SC SC Not to Marry

AA CC Can Marry AS AC Not to Marry

AC AC Can Marry AC SC Not to Marry

Three major groups of genotype are: AA (Normal); AS (Carrier), SS (Sickler). Others include SC AND CC.

red bldThe blood is made of various cells suspended in plasma. The red blood cells are our major focus here since they contain within them hemoglobin, a substance which helps in the transport of oxygen to the tissues.

This hemoglobin is composed of 2 parts: a heme and globin (2 pairs of protein chains).

There are 2 alpha and 2 beta globin chains – the pair, and there is a way in which the chains ought to be arranged.

An error occurs when a protein substitution occurs in any one of these chains – but particularly in the globin chains (amino acids are the building blocks of proteins which make up the globin chains – so if amino acid ‘x’ is the normal, an abnormality occurs when instead of ‘x’ at a particular location along the chain, you have ‘y’.)

For:

Genotype AA: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is GLUTAMATE

Genotype AS: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have VALINE

Genotype SS: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is VALINE

Genotype AC: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have LYSINE

ABNORMAL

Hemoglobinopathy is a genetic disorder caused by abnormal polypeptide chains of hemoglobin.

Some of the hemoglobinopathies are:

Hemoglobin S: It is found in sickle cell anemia. In this, the alpha chains are normal and beta chains are abnormal. The sickle-cell disease occurs when the sixth amino acid, glutamate, is replaced by valine to change its structure and function. Valine is hydrophobic, causing the hemoglobin to collapse on itself occasionally. When enough hemoglobin collapses on itself the red blood cells become sickle-shaped.230px-Sickle_cell_01
Hemoglobin C: is an abnormal hemoglobin in which substitution of a glutamic acid residue with a lysine residue at the 6th position of the β-globin chain has occurred. It reduces the normal plasticity of host erythrocytes causing a hemoglobinopathy.
In those who are heterozygous for the mutation, about 28–44% of total hemoglobin (Hb) is HbC, and no anemia develops. In homozygotes (i.e. CC), nearly all Hb is in the HbC form, resulting in mild hemolytic anemia.

People with hemoglobin C (carriers) do not have Hemoglobin C disease or sickle cell disease and cannot develop these diseases later in life.

They can pass the trait to their offspring: Individuals who carry the hemoglobin C trait can have a child with Hemoglobin C disease or Hemoglobin SC disease. Hemoglobin C disease IS NOT a form of sickle cell disease. It is present at birth, though some cases may not be diagnosed until adulthood. People with hemoglobin C disease can expect to lead a normal life.

page1-800px-Aminoacid_chain_normal_Hb_and_HbE.pdfAmino acid chain normal Hb-Top row and HbE- Bottom row

Hemoglobin S-C disease is a hemoglobinopathy (see Hemoglobinopathies) that causes symptoms similar to those of sickle cell disease, but milder.
Because 10% of blacks carry the Hb S trait, the heterozygous S-C combination is more common than homozygous Hb C disease. The anemia in Hb S-C disease is milder than the anemia in sickle cell disease; some patients even have normal Hb levels. Most symptoms are those of sickle cell disease, but symptoms are usually less frequent and less severe. However, gross hematuria, retinal hemorrhages, and aseptic necrosis of the femoral head are common.

Hb S-C disease is suspected in patients whose clinical features suggest sickle cell disease or whose RBCs demonstrate sickling. Stained blood smears show target cells and a rare sickle cell. Sickling is identified in a sickling preparation, and Hb electrophoresis establishes the diagnosis. Treatment can be similar to that of sickle cell disease but is determined by severity of symptoms.hemoglobin

Hemoglobin AC: Hemoglobin C trait results when the gene for hemoglobin C is inherited from one parent and the gene for hemoglobin A from the other. This carrier state does not usually result in health problems, although there may be a slightly low MCV and target cells.
Hemoglobin E: Here also the beta chains are abnormal. It is present in people with hemoglobin E disease which is also characterized by mild hemolytic anemia and splenomegaly.
Hemoglobin M: It is the abnormal hemoglobin present in the form of methemoglobin. It occurs due to mutation of genes of both in alpha and beta chains resulting in abnormal replacement of amino acids. It is present in babies affected by hemoglobin M disease or blue baby syndrome. It is an inherited disease characterized by methemoglobinemia.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by hayzed1090: 7:47pm On Apr 25, 2018
ranmoor:

Partner X Partner Y Partner X partner Y

AA AA Can Marry AS AS Not to Marry

AA AS Can Marry AS SS Not to Marry

SS AA Can Marry SS SS Not to Marry

AA SC Can Marry AS SC Not to Marry

AA AC Can Marry SC SC Not to Marry

AA CC Can Marry AS AC Not to Marry

AC AC Can Marry AC SC Not to Marry

Three major groups of genotype are: AA (Normal); AS (Carrier), SS (Sickler). Others include SC AND CC.

red bldThe blood is made of various cells suspended in plasma. The red blood cells are our major focus here since they contain within them hemoglobin, a substance which helps in the transport of oxygen to the tissues.

This hemoglobin is composed of 2 parts: a heme and globin (2 pairs of protein chains).

There are 2 alpha and 2 beta globin chains – the pair, and there is a way in which the chains ought to be arranged.

An error occurs when a protein substitution occurs in any one of these chains – but particularly in the globin chains (amino acids are the building blocks of proteins which make up the globin chains – so if amino acid ‘x’ is the normal, an abnormality occurs when instead of ‘x’ at a particular location along the chain, you have ‘y’.)

For:

Genotype AA: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is GLUTAMATE

Genotype AS: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have VALINE

Genotype SS: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is VALINE

Genotype AC: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have LYSINE

ABNORMAL

Hemoglobinopathy is a genetic disorder caused by abnormal polypeptide chains of hemoglobin.

Some of the hemoglobinopathies are:

Hemoglobin S: It is found in sickle cell anemia. In this, the alpha chains are normal and beta chains are abnormal. The sickle-cell disease occurs when the sixth amino acid, glutamate, is replaced by valine to change its structure and function. Valine is hydrophobic, causing the hemoglobin to collapse on itself occasionally. When enough hemoglobin collapses on itself the red blood cells become sickle-shaped.230px-Sickle_cell_01
Hemoglobin C: is an abnormal hemoglobin in which substitution of a glutamic acid residue with a lysine residue at the 6th position of the β-globin chain has occurred. It reduces the normal plasticity of host erythrocytes causing a hemoglobinopathy.
In those who are heterozygous for the mutation, about 28–44% of total hemoglobin (Hb) is HbC, and no anemia develops. In homozygotes (i.e. CC), nearly all Hb is in the HbC form, resulting in mild hemolytic anemia.

People with hemoglobin C (carriers) do not have Hemoglobin C disease or sickle cell disease and cannot develop these diseases later in life.

They can pass the trait to their offspring: Individuals who carry the hemoglobin C trait can have a child with Hemoglobin C disease or Hemoglobin SC disease. Hemoglobin C disease IS NOT a form of sickle cell disease. It is present at birth, though some cases may not be diagnosed until adulthood. People with hemoglobin C disease can expect to lead a normal life.

page1-800px-Aminoacid_chain_normal_Hb_and_HbE.pdfAmino acid chain normal Hb-Top row and HbE- Bottom row

Hemoglobin S-C disease is a hemoglobinopathy (see Hemoglobinopathies) that causes symptoms similar to those of sickle cell disease, but milder.
Because 10% of blacks carry the Hb S trait, the heterozygous S-C combination is more common than homozygous Hb C disease. The anemia in Hb S-C disease is milder than the anemia in sickle cell disease; some patients even have normal Hb levels. Most symptoms are those of sickle cell disease, but symptoms are usually less frequent and less severe. However, gross hematuria, retinal hemorrhages, and aseptic necrosis of the femoral head are common.

Hb S-C disease is suspected in patients whose clinical features suggest sickle cell disease or whose RBCs demonstrate sickling. Stained blood smears show target cells and a rare sickle cell. Sickling is identified in a sickling preparation, and Hb electrophoresis establishes the diagnosis. Treatment can be similar to that of sickle cell disease but is determined by severity of symptoms.hemoglobin

Hemoglobin AC: Hemoglobin C trait results when the gene for hemoglobin C is inherited from one parent and the gene for hemoglobin A from the other. This carrier state does not usually result in health problems, although there may be a slightly low MCV and target cells.
Hemoglobin E: Here also the beta chains are abnormal. It is present in people with hemoglobin E disease which is also characterized by mild hemolytic anemia and splenomegaly.
Hemoglobin M: It is the abnormal hemoglobin present in the form of methemoglobin. It occurs due to mutation of genes of both in alpha and beta chains resulting in abnormal replacement of amino acids. It is present in babies affected by hemoglobin M disease or blue baby syndrome. It is an inherited disease characterized by methemoglobinemia.

Thanks very much bro. But it's too late for me.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Jethrolite(m): 8:19pm On Apr 25, 2018
1Sharon:

So much ignorance and naivety in this post . You really need to update ur knowledge cos sickle cell is not how it used to be and is not what you assume it is.

Ignoramus
You can't reply, cat got your tongue? Mannerless, uneducated idiot.

You think it is every issue you come online to tell the world you're one stupid, dirty, unkempt LovePeddler who wears okrika and lives in a house lighted by incandescent bulb in 2018.
Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 25, 2018
misreal:
Your hatred for the girl will not change anything sir..you either believe with your brother that God can do anything,or forever remain silent..

Your point being? Have you ever seen a sickler in crisis? Faith - common sense = trouble

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 25, 2018
DopeAngel:
thank you fear. the thing is the girl herself is not ready to let him go. she still even calls him. her age factor is making her even more desperate. i dont care if the girl gets married or not. she should just leave my bro alone. i mean is that too hard for a lady to do? am so much pained. right now i have so much hatred towards the girl. right now i am thinking of giving her a very sound warning to stay away from my family or else she would never find peace. i would be very happy to be the black sheep that destroyed the relationship and save the lives of my bro's unborn kids. is it right?

Do anything within your power to make sure they don't get married. The love they both claim to share will fizzle out in the face of repeated sickle cell crisis. I'm a sickler, and I'll tell you that the pains of sickle cell is hellish. Do anything to save posterity.

1 Like

Re: My Brother & His Fiancee Are Both AS, Yet He Wants To Go Ahead With The Marriage by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 25, 2018
eyinjuege:
Its not your relationship, neither is it your business.
The main thing is for both of them to understand the risks involved, and if they're ready to plunge in, goodluck to them.
Your place as a brother is to support. Not dictate, not rule or instruct your brother.
You should learn to respect your brother's choice and wishes. If you're not ready to support him, you can disown him.

You're right. But then if he doesn't do this and his brother ends up marrying that lady, there's a possibility that they may have a kid or kids with the disease. Can you weigh the amount of guilt he'll feel when he sees his nephew or niece in crisis?
Till today, my parents still feel guilty.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Foreign Lady Gives Her Fellow Ladies 5 Tips On Marrying A Nigerian Man (Video / I Found Gynaecosid Tablets On My Supposedly Virgin Girlfriend.. / Solutions To Spirit Husband And Spirit Wife Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.