Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,630 members, 7,813,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way - Romance (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way (32341 Views)

Every Woman Is Born With This Talent Of Looking At Phone Of Partner / A COUNTER Thread To Homosexuality Being Unnatural By Mhizblss / If Monogamy Is Unnatural, Then Why Do We Have Jealousy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by mhisbliss(f): 10:06pm On May 25, 2018
BluntTheApostle:

I asked for links. When you provide links, you are acknowledging the original source and therefore no plagiarising.
WARNING: This article contains sexually explicit language that may not be suitable for younger readers.—Editor

Author: Steve Cowan

Today homosexuality is considered by many people to be a normal and perfectly acceptable practice. It is, they say, a legitimate “alternative lifestyle.” The Bible, of course, says otherwise (see the article in this volume by Terry Wilder explaining the biblical view of homosexuality). According to the Apostle Paul, homosexuality is the behavior of those who have “abandoned natural relations”; who have “exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones” (Rom 1:26, 27).

That Scripture speaks to this matter ought to be enough, especially for those who accept the authority of the Bible. Unfortunately, not everyone bows to biblical authority. Does this mean, then, that we must remain at a perpetual impasse with those who disagree on the morality of homosexual behavior? I don’t think so. I will argue in this article that we can establish the immorality of homosexuality from a purely philosophical perspective. I will offer, that is, an argument from natural law which echoes Paul’s language in Romans 1 to the effect that homosexuality is an abandonment of the natural, created order, and for that reason is immoral. But first, I will briefly examine the evidence that homosexuality advocates have advanced in their attempt to show that homosexuality is not contrary to nature, but is in fact natural.

The Alleged Case for the Naturalness of Homosexuality

The basic claim made by those who defend the morality of homosexuality is that homosexuals “are born that way.” Homosexuality is alleged to have some genetic basis, and some scientific research has been conducted to try to establish the genetic link.^[1]^ Thus Michael Bailey and Richard Pillard assert, “Our own research has shown that male sexual orientation is substantially genetic.”^[2]^

Space does not permit a detailed response to these studies. Suffice it to say for now that the research alleging to show a genetic basis for homosexuality is far from conclusive.^[3]^ The conclusions and even methods of these studies have been hotly contested, leading Columbia University psychiatrists Byne and Parsons to conclude:

There is no evidence at present to substantiate a biological theory, just as there is no compelling evidence to support any singular psychosocial explanation. . . .[T]he appeal of current biological explanations may derive more from dissatisfaction with the present status of psychosocial explanations than from a substantiating body of experimental data. Critical review shows the evidence favoring a biological theory to be lacking.^[4]^

So we have no good reason, at least for now, to believe that there is any genetic or biological link to homosexual behavior. Yet it must be added that even if such a link were established, it would not morally justify homosexuality for two reasons. First, pinpointing a correlation between homosexuality and some biological factor does not by itself tell us which way the causal relationship runs. Is the biological condition correlated with homosexuality the cause of the homosexual orientation, or is the biological condition caused by the homosexual orientation?

Second, even if one’s genetic makeup does cause or predispose one toward homosexuality, this again does not make such behavior good or morally permissible. Some people reason like this:

​>(1) Homosexuals’ genetic makeup predisposes (or causes) them to engage in homosexual behavior.
>
​>(2) Therefore, homosexual behavior is morally permissible.

However, we do not make this genetic-so-it-must-be-okay leap in other areas of life. For example, researchers believe that there is a definite genetic basis for alcoholism. Yet, we do not think that alcoholism is good, or that it is morally permissible for alcoholics to persist in drunkenness. We believe that alcoholism is bad and that alcoholics should be “cured.” So, supposing for the sake of argument that homosexuality is genetically based, why shouldn’t we seek to “cure” homosexuals rather than endorse their behavior? Why shouldn’t we look for ways to eradicate the harmful homosexual gene? Gay activists beg the question concerning the morality of homosexual behavior when they assume that a genetic basis for the behavior automatically establishes its moral permissibility.

It is interesting to note, in this connection, that recent research has in fact shown that homosexuality is curable. Dr. Robert L. Spitzer, psychiatry professor at Columbia University, has concluded research which shows that “a percentage of highly motivated gay people can change their sexual orientation.”^[5]^ The study followed the lives of 200 gay persons who underwent therapy to change their sexual orientation. Spitzer’s study found that 66 percent of men and 44 percent of women were able to achieve “good heterosexual functioning” as a result of the therapy. And it is helpful to note that Dr. Spitzer does not have an anti-gay ax to grind. He is not a Christian and has no sympathy for the efforts of Christians to defend the biblical view of homosexuality. In fact, he was the leader of the 1973 campaign to remove homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association’s list of mental disorders. This study provides powerful evidence for the biblical view that homosexuality is a learned behavior.^[6]^

I conclude, therefore, that there is no good evidence that homosexuality is biologically based. That is, there is no good evidence that homosexuality is “natural” in the sense that those who practice this behavior are genetically predisposed to it.

But might homosexuality be natural in some other sense? After all, we can observe homosexual behavior in other animals. For example, chimpanzees and other apes are known to engage in homosexual behavior. So, it might be said, homosexuality occurs in nature. It is natural in the sense that we find examples of it in the natural world. So, shouldn’t we expect and permit such behavior among humans? The argument goes something like this:

Homosexual behavior occurs naturally among some non-human animals.
Whatever behavior occurs naturally among some non-human animals is morally permissible for human beings.
Therefore, homosexuality is morally permissible for human beings.
The problem with this argument is that premise (2) is so obviously false. There are lots of behaviors that animals engage in that we do not think are permissible for human beings. For example, many animals eat their young as soon as they are born. Though this may be “natural” for the creatures in question, it is clearly not morally permissible for humans to eat their young. Again, Black Widow spiders kill and devour their mates after mating, but I seriously doubt that any female human could use the “It’s natural” defense in court were she to kill and eat her husband.

Premise (2), if it were true, would imply that there is no moral difference between animals and human beings. Now some committed atheists and evolutionists might believe that this is so, but most of us would not be willing to follow their lead. What is permissible for animals is not always permissible for people. So, just because some animals engage in homosexual behavior, this lends no support to the thesis that human homosexuality is either natural (in any relevant sense) or morally good.

We must also qualify premise (1) of this argument. It is true that homosexual behavior occurs in nature—among apes, for example. But, even in the animal kingdom there is a clear abnormality with regard to homosexuality. Thomas Schmidt explains that

animals do not engage in long-term homosexual bonding as humans do. Some monkeys and apes mount or handle each other to the point of sexual arousal, but even this behavior involves numerous qualifications: most important, the behavior does not continue when the individual matures and has a heterosexual option.^[7]^

So just because homosexual behavior occurs in nature, this does not mean that this is the norm in nature. Nor does it mean that these occasional occurrences of homosexual behavior among animals make it natural for humans in the sense of morally permissible or morally normative.

The Case Against Homosexuality

I turn now to argue that homosexual behavior is immoral. The reason it is immoral is that it is clearly unnatural. Here I am using the terms “natural” and “unnatural” in a specific way. By saying that homosexuality is unnatural, I mean that it is contrary to the purpose and design of God, our creator. And I mean to argue that we can know this even apart from what the Bible says about it.^[8]^ My argument can be stated as follows:

Whatever behavior is contrary to God’s created design for human beings is morally wrong.
Homosexuality is contrary to God’s created design for human beings.
Therefore, homosexuality is wrong.
Now what can be said in defense of the premises of this argument? Let’s take a look at premise (1) first. This premise, of course, assumes that God exists. Some people on the pro-homosexual side of this debate will cry, “Foul!—You can’t bring religion into this debate! You can’t bring your Bible verses into the public arena to decide this issue!” First of all, take careful note that my argument does not quote any Bible verses, nor will I do so in defense of premise (1).

And it is not my intent to bring religion per se into the debate at this point. I am merely appealing to the fact that most people in our society believe, or at least say they believe, in the existence of God. To be sure, there are those who claim that they do not believe in God. I think they are profoundly mistaken. I think the evidence for God’s existence is overwhelming and that those who attempt to dismiss his existence are “without excuse” as Romans 1:20 states.^[9]^ But we can save that debate for another time. Most of us—even those who are not particularly Christian, even those who do not believe in the divine authority of the Bible—nevertheless believe that the universe was created by a personal, all-powerful, all-knowing, and supremely good God. More specifically, we believe that we were created by God. And we believe that God gave us all of our faculties and abilities, physical and mental, for a benevolent purpose.

It follows from this that if I use the abilities and faculties that God gave me in a way that is contrary to his good intentions, then I have done something wrong. For example, if I use the hands that God gave me for serving him and other people to strangle and kill my brother instead, then I have done wrong. So premise (1) of my argument is true: any behavior that is contrary to God’s created design for human beings is morally unacceptable.

Now we come to the crucial question. Is homosexual behavior consistent with God’s created design for human beings? Or does it run contrary to his design? In premise (2) I have stated what I take to be the right answer to this question. Homosexual behavior is clearly contrary to God’s design.

We believe that God created us male and female. We believe, that is, that hetero-sexuality is God’s intent. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have created two sexes! And let us simply examine the biology of it all. Who can reasonably deny that joysticks are designed to fit into vaginas? And who can deny that vaginas are meant to receive joysticks? And I am not using these biological statements to refer to reproduction. Homosexuality advocates often remind us that sexual activity is not only meant for the purpose of reproduction. It is also intended for pleasure and for emotional bonding. I agree whole-heartedly! But this does not justify homosexuality.

If you grant that there is a natural “fit” between joysticks and vaginas that is created by God (and this cannot be denied), then it is easy to see that God intends for sexual activity to bring men and women together, for the purpose of reproduction to be sure, but also for the purpose of creating a special union through the pleasure and emotional bonding that takes place in sexual intercourse.

And there are other things about men and women that tell us that this is God’s design. It may not be politically correct to say this nowadays, but men and women need each other. Because they bear and nurse children, and because they are the “weaker vessel,” women need the strength and bread-winning abilities that men are naturally disposed to provide. And men need the nurturing and care that women are naturally disposed to provide.^[10]^ But, homosexuality undermines the God-designed interdependence of men and women.

Imagine, for the sake of argument that all human beings opted for homosexuality. If homosexual behavior is morally permissible, then it would be morally permissible for everyone to be homosexual. But, then, God’s clear intent for men and women to enter into intimate unions through sexual intercourse would be thwarted. God’s intent that men and women cleave together in mutually dependent relationships would be thwarted as well. And, by the way, so would God’s intent that humans reproduce.

So, I conclude that homosexual behavior is clearly inconsistent with God’s created purpose for human beings. Therefore, it follows that homosexual behavior is wrong.

Steven B. Cowan is Associate Director of the Apologetics Resource Center.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:11pm On May 25, 2018
mhisbliss:
WARNING: This article contains sexually explicit language that may not be suitable for younger readers.—Editor

Author: Steve Cowan

Today homosexuality is considered by many people to be a normal and perfectly acceptable practice. It is, they say, a legitimate “alternative lifestyle.” The Bible, of course, says otherwise (see the article in this volume by Terry Wilder explaining the biblical view of homosexuality). According to the Apostle Paul, homosexuality is the behavior of those who have “abandoned natural relations”; who have “exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones” (Rom 1:26, 27).

That Scripture speaks to this matter ought to be enough, especially for those who accept the authority of the Bible. Unfortunately, not everyone bows to biblical authority. Does this mean, then, that we must remain at a perpetual impasse with those who disagree on the morality of homosexual behavior? I don’t think so. I will argue in this article that we can establish the immorality of homosexuality from a purely philosophical perspective. I will offer, that is, an argument from natural law which echoes Paul’s language in Romans 1 to the effect that homosexuality is an abandonment of the natural, created order, and for that reason is immoral. But first, I will briefly examine the evidence that homosexuality advocates have advanced in their attempt to show that homosexuality is not contrary to nature, but is in fact natural.

The Alleged Case for the Naturalness of Homosexuality

The basic claim made by those who defend the morality of homosexuality is that homosexuals “are born that way.” Homosexuality is alleged to have some genetic basis, and some scientific research has been conducted to try to establish the genetic link.^[1]^ Thus Michael Bailey and Richard Pillard assert, “Our own research has shown that male sexual orientation is substantially genetic.”^[2]^

Space does not permit a detailed response to these studies. Suffice it to say for now that the research alleging to show a genetic basis for homosexuality is far from conclusive.^[3]^ The conclusions and even methods of these studies have been hotly contested, leading Columbia University psychiatrists Byne and Parsons to conclude:

There is no evidence at present to substantiate a biological theory, just as there is no compelling evidence to support any singular psychosocial explanation. . . .[T]he appeal of current biological explanations may derive more from dissatisfaction with the present status of psychosocial explanations than from a substantiating body of experimental data. Critical review shows the evidence favoring a biological theory to be lacking.^[4]^

So we have no good reason, at least for now, to believe that there is any genetic or biological link to homosexual behavior. Yet it must be added that even if such a link were established, it would not morally justify homosexuality for two reasons. First, pinpointing a correlation between homosexuality and some biological factor does not by itself tell us which way the causal relationship runs. Is the biological condition correlated with homosexuality the cause of the homosexual orientation, or is the biological condition caused by the homosexual orientation?

Second, even if one’s genetic makeup does cause or predispose one toward homosexuality, this again does not make such behavior good or morally permissible. Some people reason like this:

​>(1) Homosexuals’ genetic makeup predisposes (or causes) them to engage in homosexual behavior.
>
​>(2) Therefore, homosexual behavior is morally permissible.

However, we do not make this genetic-so-it-must-be-okay leap in other areas of life. For example, researchers believe that there is a definite genetic basis for alcoholism. Yet, we do not think that alcoholism is good, or that it is morally permissible for alcoholics to persist in drunkenness. We believe that alcoholism is bad and that alcoholics should be “cured.” So, supposing for the sake of argument that homosexuality is genetically based, why shouldn’t we seek to “cure” homosexuals rather than endorse their behavior? Why shouldn’t we look for ways to eradicate the harmful homosexual gene? Gay activists beg the question concerning the morality of homosexual behavior when they assume that a genetic basis for the behavior automatically establishes its moral permissibility.

It is interesting to note, in this connection, that recent research has in fact shown that homosexuality is curable. Dr. Robert L. Spitzer, psychiatry professor at Columbia University, has concluded research which shows that “a percentage of highly motivated gay people can change their sexual orientation.”^[5]^ The study followed the lives of 200 gay persons who underwent therapy to change their sexual orientation. Spitzer’s study found that 66 percent of men and 44 percent of women were able to achieve “good heterosexual functioning” as a result of the therapy. And it is helpful to note that Dr. Spitzer does not have an anti-gay ax to grind. He is not a Christian and has no sympathy for the efforts of Christians to defend the biblical view of homosexuality. In fact, he was the leader of the 1973 campaign to remove homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association’s list of mental disorders. This study provides powerful evidence for the biblical view that homosexuality is a learned behavior.^[6]^

I conclude, therefore, that there is no good evidence that homosexuality is biologically based. That is, there is no good evidence that homosexuality is “natural” in the sense that those who practice this behavior are genetically predisposed to it.

But might homosexuality be natural in some other sense? After all, we can observe homosexual behavior in other animals. For example, chimpanzees and other apes are known to engage in homosexual behavior. So, it might be said, homosexuality occurs in nature. It is natural in the sense that we find examples of it in the natural world. So, shouldn’t we expect and permit such behavior among humans? The argument goes something like this:

Homosexual behavior occurs naturally among some non-human animals.
Whatever behavior occurs naturally among some non-human animals is morally permissible for human beings.
Therefore, homosexuality is morally permissible for human beings.
The problem with this argument is that premise (2) is so obviously false. There are lots of behaviors that animals engage in that we do not think are permissible for human beings. For example, many animals eat their young as soon as they are born. Though this may be “natural” for the creatures in question, it is clearly not morally permissible for humans to eat their young. Again, Black Widow spiders kill and devour their mates after mating, but I seriously doubt that any female human could use the “It’s natural” defense in court were she to kill and eat her husband.

Premise (2), if it were true, would imply that there is no moral difference between animals and human beings. Now some committed atheists and evolutionists might believe that this is so, but most of us would not be willing to follow their lead. What is permissible for animals is not always permissible for people. So, just because some animals engage in homosexual behavior, this lends no support to the thesis that human homosexuality is either natural (in any relevant sense) or morally good.

We must also qualify premise (1) of this argument. It is true that homosexual behavior occurs in nature—among apes, for example. But, even in the animal kingdom there is a clear abnormality with regard to homosexuality. Thomas Schmidt explains that

animals do not engage in long-term homosexual bonding as humans do. Some monkeys and apes mount or handle each other to the point of sexual arousal, but even this behavior involves numerous qualifications: most important, the behavior does not continue when the individual matures and has a heterosexual option.^[7]^

So just because homosexual behavior occurs in nature, this does not mean that this is the norm in nature. Nor does it mean that these occasional occurrences of homosexual behavior among animals make it natural for humans in the sense of morally permissible or morally normative.

The Case Against Homosexuality

I turn now to argue that homosexual behavior is immoral. The reason it is immoral is that it is clearly unnatural. Here I am using the terms “natural” and “unnatural” in a specific way. By saying that homosexuality is unnatural, I mean that it is contrary to the purpose and design of God, our creator. And I mean to argue that we can know this even apart from what the Bible says about it.^[8]^ My argument can be stated as follows:

Whatever behavior is contrary to God’s created design for human beings is morally wrong.
Homosexuality is contrary to God’s created design for human beings.
Therefore, homosexuality is wrong.
Now what can be said in defense of the premises of this argument? Let’s take a look at premise (1) first. This premise, of course, assumes that God exists. Some people on the pro-homosexual side of this debate will cry, “Foul!—You can’t bring religion into this debate! You can’t bring your Bible verses into the public arena to decide this issue!” First of all, take careful note that my argument does not quote any Bible verses, nor will I do so in defense of premise (1).

And it is not my intent to bring religion per se into the debate at this point. I am merely appealing to the fact that most people in our society believe, or at least say they believe, in the existence of God. To be sure, there are those who claim that they do not believe in God. I think they are profoundly mistaken. I think the evidence for God’s existence is overwhelming and that those who attempt to dismiss his existence are “without excuse” as Romans 1:20 states.^[9]^ But we can save that debate for another time. Most of us—even those who are not particularly Christian, even those who do not believe in the divine authority of the Bible—nevertheless believe that the universe was created by a personal, all-powerful, all-knowing, and supremely good God. More specifically, we believe that we were created by God. And we believe that God gave us all of our faculties and abilities, physical and mental, for a benevolent purpose.

It follows from this that if I use the abilities and faculties that God gave me in a way that is contrary to his good intentions, then I have done something wrong. For example, if I use the hands that God gave me for serving him and other people to strangle and kill my brother instead, then I have done wrong. So premise (1) of my argument is true: any behavior that is contrary to God’s created design for human beings is morally unacceptable.

Now we come to the crucial question. Is homosexual behavior consistent with God’s created design for human beings? Or does it run contrary to his design? In premise (2) I have stated what I take to be the right answer to this question. Homosexual behavior is clearly contrary to God’s design.

We believe that God created us male and female. We believe, that is, that hetero-sexuality is God’s intent. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have created two sexes! And let us simply examine the biology of it all. Who can reasonably deny that joysticks are designed to fit into vaginas? And who can deny that vaginas are meant to receive joysticks? And I am not using these biological statements to refer to reproduction. Homosexuality advocates often remind us that sexual activity is not only meant for the purpose of reproduction. It is also intended for pleasure and for emotional bonding. I agree whole-heartedly! But this does not justify homosexuality.

If you grant that there is a natural “fit” between joysticks and vaginas that is created by God (and this cannot be denied), then it is easy to see that God intends for sexual activity to bring men and women together, for the purpose of reproduction to be sure, but also for the purpose of creating a special union through the pleasure and emotional bonding that takes place in sexual intercourse.

And there are other things about men and women that tell us that this is God’s design. It may not be politically correct to say this nowadays, but men and women need each other. Because they bear and nurse children, and because they are the “weaker vessel,” women need the strength and bread-winning abilities that men are naturally disposed to provide. And men need the nurturing and care that women are naturally disposed to provide.^[10]^ But, homosexuality undermines the God-designed interdependence of men and women.

Imagine, for the sake of argument that all human beings opted for homosexuality. If homosexual behavior is morally permissible, then it would be morally permissible for everyone to be homosexual. But, then, God’s clear intent for men and women to enter into intimate unions through sexual intercourse would be thwarted. God’s intent that men and women cleave together in mutually dependent relationships would be thwarted as well. And, by the way, so would God’s intent that humans reproduce.

So, I conclude that homosexual behavior is clearly inconsistent with God’s created purpose for human beings. Therefore, it follows that homosexual behavior is wrong.

Steven B. Cowan is Associate Director of the Apologetics Resource Center.

I need a paper from a scientist, not a theologian like Cowan.

4 Likes

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by mhisbliss(f): 10:14pm On May 25, 2018
BluntTheApostle:

I need a paper from a scientist, not a theologian like Cowan.
But he made scientifically valid points, lets see you refute that, otherwise just shut up and get lost

1 Like

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 25, 2018
BluntTheApostle:

I asked a simple question. If, according to you, gays should get death sentences simply because their practices are unethical, why shouldn't fornicators and adulterers get death sentences too

I asked this question so you can realise how hypocritical you are.

While I do not support homosexualism, a major reason why homosexualism is able to gain ground is really because of the irresponsibility of 'heterosexuals' who in this age GLORIFY fornication and adultery. Such acts are no more seen as wrong any more but a norm. UNCOUNTABLE THREADS ARE ON NAIRALAND WHICH FORNICATORS AND ADULTERERS ARE PRAISED. ITS NOT ONLY HYPOCRISY BUT A MANIFESTATION OF AN AGE OF DECADENCE, PERVERSION OF THE WILL AND INTELLECT. Perhaps this thread may interest you.Title: Homosexualism, humanity and our collective hypocrisy.https://www.nairaland.com/3097462/homosexualism-humanity-collective-hypocrisy
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by donstan18: 10:21pm On May 25, 2018
makydebbie:
Muslim?
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by BluntTheApostle(m): 10:22pm On May 25, 2018
mhisbliss:
But he made scientifically valid points, lets see you refute that, otherwise just shut up and get lost

Genes linked to homosexuality have been discovered by scientists in the biggest ever study into the genetic basis for sexual orientation.

For the first time, researchers looked at the complete genome - a person’s entire DNA code - for more than 1,000 gay men and compared it to genetic data from a similar number of heterosexual males.

They discovered that DNA was different for gay and straight men around the genes SLITRK5 and SLITRK6.

SLITRK6 is an important gene for brain development, and is particularly active in a region of the brain which includes the hypothalamus.

The hypothalamus is crucial for producing the hormones which control sex drive, and previous studies have shown parts of it are...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/12/07/genes-linked-homosexuality-discovered-scientists/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by UDUJ(m): 10:30pm On May 25, 2018
mhisbliss:
I don't mean it that way, i just want you to summarize your points, sorry you felt insulted

cheesy No worries. I quite understand how heated discussions like this could cause an adrenaline rush cheesy
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:31pm On May 25, 2018
Bluntboy aka friendofGod weldone.
BluntTheApostle:

Genes linked to homosexuality have been discovered by scientists in the biggest ever study into the genetic basis for sexual orientation.

For the first time, researchers looked at the complete genome - a person’s entire DNA code - for more than 1,000 gay men and compared it to genetic data from a similar number of heterosexual males.

They discovered that DNA was different for gay and straight men around the genes SLITRK5 and SLITRK6.

SLITRK6 is an important gene for brain development, and is particularly active in a region of the brain which includes the hypothalamus.

The hypothalamus is crucial for producing the hormones which control sex drive, and previous studies have shown parts of it are...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/12/07/genes-linked-homosexuality-discovered-scientists/
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by makydebbie(f): 10:32pm On May 25, 2018
donstan18:

Muslim?
I honestly don't know how that thing got there, because I didn't comment on a Muslim thread. Can't wait for it to erase itself.
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by donstan18: 10:33pm On May 25, 2018
makydebbie:

I honestly don't know how that thing got there, because I didn't comment on a Muslim thread. Can't wait for it to erase itself.

Have you reported to the mods?
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 25, 2018
BluntTheApostle:

This age and its remarkable profane science. Another reason for WHY today's world is in chaos. Perhaps nobody should as well be punished for stealing. For their is such thing as kleptomania.
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by makydebbie(f): 10:41pm On May 25, 2018
donstan18:

Have you reported to the mods?
Yes I've.
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by UDUJ(m): 10:44pm On May 25, 2018
BluntTheApostle:

I read this article sometime back, but I am still not convinced.

Trying to prove that homosexuality has a significant genetic basis is very hard. The burden of proof is on those who wish to claim that it is genetic.

Most of the studies of genetic basis (of anything) are not randomized controlled trials (RCT). They are observational studies that simply look for correlations. Such studies are a much weaker form of evidence than RCTs.

Moreover, correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by swiz123(m): 11:02pm On May 25, 2018
mhisbliss:
I came across a thread where a guy claimed he discovered his sister is a lesbian, some of the comments on that thread got me annoyed and amused, most of the comments were "She's born that way, its natural" i know that this comment is influenced by the western world but we're not like them, we have norms, culture and a way of life, and we're supposed to be who we are.

Theres no evidence anywhere to prove that homosexuality is natural, it cannot be genetically or biologically defined, theres no gene responsible for homosexuality, and nothing about the human anatomy suggests homosexuality is natural, if you examine the male and female sex organ you'd know that it is designed to complement each other, and to reproduce, both needs to work together, therefore by design, we're supposed to be heterosexual not homosexual,

Our culture frowns at it, it is clearly unafrican, abnormal and every religion frowns at it, including christianity
Romans 1:26–27 follows this same reasoning. Paul says that men abandoned the natural sexual function of women and engaged in unnatural sex with men. His words make it clear that homosexual behavior is unnatural because it is a rejection of God’s design for sex. Homosexual desire, then, would also be unnatural for the same reason: it drives people to abandon the natural design and function of human sexuality.

No one is born gay, its a psychological and societal problem and it needs to be curtailed as soon as it is discovered.

I can't thank you enough for the bolded.

I always knew all the backing homosexualism gets on nl is simply because of the unruly influence of the western culture.

Trust me, if every country outlawed homosexuality from the onset, this nonsense wouldn't have erupted.

I think gays roam nairaland seeking for validation for their uncanny acts, but thank God that you reminded them that homosexuality is wrong - both morally and biblically.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Kimcutie: 11:23pm On May 25, 2018
makydebbie:
Yes I've.
That's one chance o, it's there a solution for your "muslim" proclamation?
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by makydebbie(f): 11:31pm On May 25, 2018
Kimcutie:
That's one chance o, it's there a solution for your "muslim" proclamation?
Yea, in three days time, it'll be gone.
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 25, 2018
UDUJ:

Trying to prove that homosexuality has a significant genetic basis is very hard. The burden of proof is on those who wish to claim that it is genetic.

Most of the studies of genetic basis (of anything) are not randomized controlled trials (RCT). They are observational studies that simply look for correlations. Such studies are a much weaker form of evidence than RCTs.

I very much agree with you UDUJ. What else should be expected from 'PROFANE SCIENCE' which so called moderns pride themselves in this age of DECADENCE? Of course every ILLUSION to justifying all kinds of PERVERSION. Some supposed humans want to drag the rest of us HUMAN BEING through the DIRTY gutters of DOUBLE STANDARD. They tell us as a justification for homosexualism that EVEN AMONG ANIMALS, HOMOSEXUALISM IS PRACTICED EVEN THOUGH, SUCH A BEHAVIOUR SO, SO UNCOMMON, amids even animals. It but shows vividly that those who come up with such postulation are themselves ANIMALS, even worse for trying so hard to justify what is so UNHUMAN AND INHUMANE. If animalistic sexual tendencies should be accepted as a RATIONAL FACTOR for judging human sexuality and accepting them, then INCESTOUS PRACTICES by humans should not be ruled out of the equation in this so called modern day which is so dillusionalized by the word FREEDOM. An illusion propagated which is but an outcrop of a confused mental state of turning away from the heavens in the pretex of conquering the earth. It is TEMPORAL POWER vs SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY. Yet to be honest more than ever before, fornication and adultery is but a norm, its only just a while from now that homosexualism too will become a norm. One evil begets another evil. And then INCESTOUS PRACTICES, BEASTIALITY, NECRPHILIA E.T.C its a downward trend into the pits. Truth be told, that very day, 'heterosexuals' start acting responsibly, then, shall 'heterosexuals' be able to weed out homosexualism and other sexual perversions but as long as this practice of HYPOCRISY CONTINUES, well what else should be said that has not been said?
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:42pm On May 25, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Bluntboy aka friendofGod weldone.

My love!!!
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:47pm On May 25, 2018
UDUJ:

I have my reservations about the article myself. I used it merely to counter the theological article the OP shared with me.
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Ivorianaija(f): 11:51pm On May 25, 2018
The Caucasian race was formed through a genetic mutation in humans thousands of years ago. Does that make them unnatural?
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Ivorianaija(f): 11:56pm On May 25, 2018
"Orientation change
If being gay is truly a choice, then people who attempt to change their orientation should be able to do so. But most people who are gay describe it as a deeply ingrained attraction that can't simply be shut off or redirected.
On that, studies are clear. Gay conversion therapy is ineffective, several studies have found, and the American Psychological Association now says such treatment is harmful and can worsen feelings of self-hatred.
For men, studies suggest that orientation is fixed by the time the individual reaches puberty. Women show greater levels of "erotic plasticity," meaning their levels of attraction are more significantly shaped by culture, experience and love than is the case for men. However, even women who switch from gay to straight lifestyles don't stop being attracted to women, according to a 2012 study in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.
Those results suggest that while people can change their behavior, they aren't really changing their basic sexual attraction."
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by WilsonMayowa(m): 12:14am On May 26, 2018
BossLaifay:
Why not? It's a free world.
Can I know you beyond NL too? grin
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by MisterKay321(m): 7:04am On May 26, 2018
ubunja:
enjoy the fruits of Equal Rights. if women can have rights then also gays can, and tomorrow its animal fvckers.
sweet democracy.
ubuuuunnnjaaaaaa tongue
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by nobilis: 8:36am On May 26, 2018
WORDWORLD:

This age and its remarkable profane science. Another reason for WHY today's world is in chaos. Perhaps nobody should as well be punished for stealing. For their is such thing as kleptomania.

So you are equating homosexuality with stealing?

Is that how elite and divine your own science is?

Common sense is not common, they say.

1 Like

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by nobilis: 8:59am On May 26, 2018
WORDWORLD:

I very much agree with you UDUJ. What else should be expected from 'PROFANE SCIENCE' which so called moderns pride themselves in this age of DECADENCE? Of course every ILLUSION to justifying all kinds of PERVERSION. Some supposed humans want to drag the rest of us HUMAN BEING through the DIRTY gutters of DOUBLE STANDARD. They tell us as a justification for homosexualism that EVEN AMONG ANIMALS, HOMOSEXUALISM IS PRACTICED EVEN THOUGH, SUCH A BEHAVIOUR SO, SO UNCOMMON, amids even animals. It but shows vividly that those who come up with such postulation are themselves ANIMALS, even worse for trying so hard to justify what is so UNHUMAN AND INHUMANE. If animalistic sexual tendencies should be accepted as a RATIONAL FACTOR for judging human sexuality and accepting them, then INCESTOUS PRACTICES by humans should not be ruled out of the equation in this so called modern day which is so dillusionalized by the word FREEDOM. An illusion propagated which is but an outcrop of a confused mental state of turning away from the heavens in the pretex of conquering the earth. It is TEMPORAL POWER vs SPIRITUAL AUTHORITY. Yet to be honest more than ever before, fornication and adultery is but a norm, its only just a while from now that homosexualism too will become a norm. One evil begets another evil. And then INCESTOUS PRACTICES, BEASTIALITY, NECRPHILIA E.T.C its a downward trend into the pits. Truth be told, that very day, 'heterosexuals' start acting responsibly, then, shall 'heterosexuals' be able to weed out homosexualism and other sexual perversions but as long as this practice of HYPOCRISY CONTINUES, well what else should be said that has not been said?

First and foremost, HOMOSEXUALITY is not just about sex.
There are many homosexual couples that are not sexually involved.
There are homosexuals who are virgins.
There are many homosexuals who still have sex with the opposite sex and enjoy it even.
When you understand this point and stop focusing everything about homosexuality on sex, then you will be better poised to make a headway.

Secondly, those talking about homosexual behavior in animals doesn't mean they are equating themselves to animals.
That point comes up when people like you try to preach about how homosexuality is alien to nature, i.e. unnatural.

And actually, homosexual behavior is animals is very very common.
Stop hiding behind your phone's keypad and go out and do your research properly.
Don't limit your research to farm animals like cattle, sheep and goats.
Do a proper and all encompassing research.

The reason it might seem uncommon in your farm animals is that the main aim of sex in those animals is procreation.
Those animals don't form relationships or any form of inter-individual bonds among themselves.

Take your research to those animal species that form long-lasting relationships even till death, you will find that they have homosexual individuals and couples among them.

In like manner, sex in humans is not only for procreation.
So go figure.

Finally, I don't expect anything better from you, as the African that you are.
Just keep religion aside for a moment.
What other argument against homosexuality do you have?
Absolutely none.
So your repulsion is based on your religion and for that you call scientists who are trying to discover if there is a genetic basis for homosexuality profane.

It's not as if you have done your own studies and found results that countered their research.

No.

All you do, as the electronic warrior that you are, is to just sit behind your phone and call research findings profane.

Are you OK?

This your attitude is why African nations don't progress.

In the West, when a phenomenon is observed, they put aside all prejudice and try to get to the root of why something exists or happens in a particular way.

But Africans, if it's a good occurrence, we attribute it to God. And if it is a bad one, we attribute it to the devil. And that will be the end of story.

No motivation for critical thinking, research and experimentation to find out why things exist or happen the way they happen.

And then when the West publishes results of their experiments, we won't even task our own scientists to try and see if their results can stand the rigors of the scientific process. We don't task our scientists to see if their results are reproducible. And use the results of our scientists to either accept or refute their claims.

No. We are too big for that.
We just sit.

If their results are appealing to our sensibilities, we applaud it and welcome it with open arms.
But if the results insult our sensibilities, we just reject them and throw them away without further investigation and call their science profane.

And this is why Africa is backward.

More power to your elbow, divine scientist.
At least, the profane scientists are making their studies known to the public.
Where are the results of your studies, o divine scientist?

5 Likes

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by nobilis: 9:21am On May 26, 2018
UDUJ:

Yea.
Correlation might not imply causation.
But correlation implies that there is some form of connection between the two items correlating.

For example, obesity is linked with heart diseases. It doesn't mean that obesity obesity causes heart diseases. But there is a connection.
There is a link.

You sound scientific but you are allowing your prejudices to somehow cloud your judgment.

If I tell you now that obesity is genetic, you will gladly accept it wholeheartedly without further question sef.
But if I tell you that homosexuality is genetic, you won't accept because you are averse to homosexuality and the thought of it makes you cringe.
But in actual fact, studies for the obesity gene and those for the homosexuality gene are progressing almost at the same pace.

Eschew prejudice and be open minded.
That's the only way you can make any sort of progress scientifically.

Nature is vast and multifaceted.
She has always resisted any attempts to place her in a box.
If you have any idea about genes, chromosomes and the amount of mutations that take place at our genetic and chromosomal levels, you will realize that, just like a child playing with pieces of Lego™, nature just experiments with anything and everything.
And that is why there are so many varieties in nature.

1 Like

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Beemhan(m): 11:42am On May 26, 2018
mhisbliss:
I didn't assert, read the first two paragraphs before desperately trying to show me you're unintelligent
You obviously don't know what an assertion is. I apologise for using a word you can't understand. grin
I also apologise for quoting you. I won't stoop that low again
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Kobicove(m): 12:32pm On May 26, 2018
No one is born that way...people just adopt those tendencies based on external influences...
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by mhisbliss(f): 12:43pm On May 26, 2018
Beemhan:

You obviously don't know what an assertion is. I apologise for using a word you can't understand. grin
I also apologise for quoting you. I won't stoop that low again
Stupid people always think of themselves as wise, its normal grin, my post is clearly an opinion not an assertion because i didn't insist you agree with me, like i said, communicating with you is an insult to my intelligence, don't quote me again i wont reply you

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by iykekelvins(m): 2:14pm On May 26, 2018
Couldn't agree more fam.
Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 26, 2018
Op you have raised a wonderful issue here, but this question ha been over flogged. Having read some of your comments here, I can deduce accurately that you haven't shared enough time with gay folks. I have, and I can tell you that being gay is not a choice. Now I am not talking about gender crisis oo, I mean sexual attraction to the same sex. Have you ever seen a gay person trying to be straight? I know you haven't but if you have, you will thank God for little things like being "straight". Do you think that they wouldn't do anything in their powers to be like majority of society? If it is a choice, then most people who wants to flip "back" to straight would be able to do so.. But most people who are gay describe it as a deeply ingrained attraction that can't simply be shut off or redirected.
One thing I know that is sure among scientists is that gay conversion therapy is very ineffective like Buhari.. if people can change their behavior and likes and needs, why can't they change their sexual orientation.
I can see that you have used your Bible as a reference, then I ask you, what about left-handed people, both the Bible and the Koran spoke against this, but I don't see people ganging up on them. There are many evil on this earth that we must look into, but I tell you that homosexuality and lesbianism ain't one of them. We banned gay marriage here in Nigeria because we don't want a repeat of Sodom and Gomorrah,; Canada legalized gay marriage since the 80s, 90s.... Abeg which of these countries is akin to the mentioned nation?
We wonder why things are not moving forward here, it's simple: Our Constitution clearly states that there should be separation of Church (Mosque) and State, but we don't practise or enforce it.. Leave gays alone and stop vilifying these individuals, gay folks are one of the most peaceful and powerful people I know...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Unnatural To Be Gay, No One Is Born That Way by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 26, 2018
UDUJ:

You go school my brother. Your last sent was just so correct, reason I didn't read that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Man Proposes To His Woman At An Eatery In Lagos (pix,video / Share Your Most Embarrassing Relationship Moments. / Lovely Pre-wedding Photos Of A Nigerian Captain And His Beautiful Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.