Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida (6560 Views)

North Getting Poorer, Says Babangida Aliyu / PRONACO Want Ojukwu Immortalised / Jonathan Cannot Contest, Says Babangida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by mbulela: 5:30am On Jun 01, 2010
By Okechukwu Nnodim

June 1, 2010 01:06AM

Ibrahim Babangida, Nigeria’s former military dictator, yesterday said that he was willing to have the late Moshood Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 general elections “immortalised.”

Mr. Babangida, while responding to questions from aviation correspondents at the presidential wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA), disclosed that Abiola fought for Nigeria’s democracy and his efforts should be recognised.

“I think it is good at long last that somebody is trying to acknowledge the efforts of Chief M. K. O. Abiola. We cannot deny him the fact that he fought for democracy, and I am glad that the government is accepting it.

“Also, I want to see a situation whereby he will be immortalised as a person who fought for democracy in this country,” Mr. Babangida said.

Babangida’s doublespeak

Ironically, Mr. Babangida annulled the June 12, 1993 election, which was adjudged as the country’s freest and fairest election. The annulment was the catalyst for a series of events which forced Mr. Babangida to “step aside” and hand over to an Interim National Government, headed by Ernest Shonekan, who hails from Abeokuta, like Abiola. Three months after, Mr. Shonekan was deposed by the late Sani Abacha, a General and Chief of Defence Staff, who later arrested Abiola until he died in detention.

The former Nigerian leader, who has expressed interest in running for the 2011 general elections, disclosed that he would prefer that an institution be named after the late Abiola, adding that it would be a lasting bequest to the 1993 general elections winner.

“Well, there are so many things, but I will leave that to government. I want to see maybe an institution named after him that talks only about democracy. That is the most enduring legacy we can give MKO,” he said.

Dropping presidential ambition

Asked about his response to calls by Nigerians and especially that of former Nigerian Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Maitama Sule, who said that Mr. Babangida and former head of state, Muhammadu Buhari, should not contest the 2011 presidential elections, the former military helmsman said that everybody is entitled to his or her opinion.

“This is democracy,” he said. “You may have 150 million opinions. I have my own opinion and he has his own, you cannot deny him.”

He disclosed that when it is time, Nigerians will know. “The time has not come; when we get to the bridge we will cross it,” he said.

Regarding the number of political parties, the former president said that the lesser the number of political parties in the country, the better for the nation’s democracy.

“I am not a believer in 51 parties. The smaller, the better for democracy, and then everybody will have a place to be accommodated. But you see, there are so many little ones and everybody moves towards the winning party,” he said.

“I think it is better for this country to run a manageable party, than maybe three, four, or five.”
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Osama10(m): 5:32am On Jun 01, 2010
This IBB needs to check himself before he runs mad.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Kobojunkie: 5:40am On Jun 01, 2010
[size=13pt]*** shudders ****[/size]
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 5:47am On Jun 01, 2010
[s][/s]
mbulela:

By Okechukwu Nnodim

June 1, 2010 01:06AM

Ibrahim Babangida, Nigeria’s former military dictator, yesterday said that he was willing to have the late Moshood Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 general elections “immortalised.”

Mr. Babangida, while responding to questions from aviation correspondents at the presidential wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA), disclosed that Abiola fought for Nigeria’s democracy and his efforts should be recognised.

“I think it is good at long last that somebody is trying to acknowledge the efforts of Chief M. K. O. Abiola. We cannot deny him the fact that he fought for democracy, and I am glad that the government is accepting it.

“Also, I want to see a situation whereby he will be immortalised as a person who fought for democracy in this country,” Mr. Babangida said.

Babangida’s doublespeak

Ironically, Mr. Babangida annulled the June 12, 1993 election, which was adjudged as the country’s freest and fairest election. The annulment was the catalyst for a series of events which forced Mr. Babangida to “step aside” and hand over to an Interim National Government, headed by Ernest Shonekan, who hails from Abeokuta, like Abiola. Three months after, Mr. Shonekan was deposed by the late Sani Abacha, a General and Chief of Defence Staff, who later arrested Abiola until he died in detention.

The former Nigerian leader, who has expressed interest in running for the 2011 general elections, disclosed that he would prefer that an institution be named after the late Abiola, adding that it would be a lasting bequest to the 1993 general elections winner.

“Well, there are so many things, but I will leave that to government. I want to see maybe an institution named after him that talks only about democracy. That is the most enduring legacy we can give MKO,” he said.

Dropping presidential ambition

Asked about his response to calls by Nigerians and especially that of former Nigerian Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Maitama Sule, who said that Mr. Babangida and former head of state, Muhammadu Buhari, should not contest the 2011 presidential elections, the former military helmsman said that everybody is entitled to his or her opinion.

“This is democracy,” he said. “You may have 150 million opinions. I have my own opinion and he has his own, you cannot deny him.”

He disclosed that when it is time, Nigerians will know. “The time has not come; when we get to the bridge we will cross it,” he said.

Regarding the number of political parties, the former president said that the lesser the number of political parties in the country, the better for the nation’s democracy.

“I am not a believer in 51 parties. The smaller, the better for democracy, and then everybody will have a place to be accommodated. But you see, there are so many little ones and everybody moves towards the winning party,” he said.

“I think it is better for this country to run a manageable party, than maybe three, four, or five.”

[s][/s]this man needs medical check-up.immortalization or whatever,he should go to hell.perhaps,Abiola is already resting in peace.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Beaf: 5:50am On Jun 01, 2010
Osama10:

This IBB needs to check himself before he runs mad.

. . .Seems the checkup is already too late. He is mad.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by mbulela: 6:01am On Jun 01, 2010
Beaf, how far now?
Where you dey since?
Aso rock or militant creek?
na our town o!
south-south!!
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by udezue(m): 6:07am On Jun 01, 2010
Lol
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by jumobi1(m): 6:08am On Jun 01, 2010
wow. so Babangida is officially medically retarded.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Beaf: 6:12am On Jun 01, 2010
mbulela:

Beaf, how far now?
Where you dey since?
Aso rock or militant creek?
na our town o!
south-south!!

Creek ke! Dudes must dust up! Am still lobbying for my Aso spot come 2011. grin
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by 4tune1(m): 6:39am On Jun 01, 2010
He should shut up, MOSHOOD ABIOLA POLYTECHNIC is there already.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by kosovo(m): 8:14am On Jun 01, 2010
IBB has been making lots of sense recently. . .
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by SEFAGO(m): 8:29am On Jun 01, 2010
the devil wants to canonize jesus grin

1 Like

Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Sonofpeace(m): 8:57am On Jun 01, 2010
I smell somebody is looking for cheap mercy and favor but thank God we aint fools. He must be mad to think that we are fools.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 01, 2010
kosovo:

what sense are you talking about ?.he may have been reading art of seduction lately but it's never gonna work
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Sonofpeace(m): 9:26am On Jun 01, 2010
~Bluetooth:

what sense are you talking about ?.he may have been reading art of seduction lately but it's never gonna work
I just dont understand that KOSOVO of a man. May be he is IBB in disguise.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by naso2(m): 9:58am On Jun 01, 2010
kosovo:

Dude , are you for real?
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by tjskii(f): 10:03am On Jun 01, 2010
dis ibb dude has got serious issues o,d guy is just an idjit
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by jamace(m): 10:16am On Jun 01, 2010
Hmmmmnnnnn. So na so people dey play politics? A little to the left, a little to the right? Na wa o!! shocked shocked
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by oluite(f): 10:51am On Jun 01, 2010
we are smarter than u think, sell dat crap sob stories to , whoever not nigerians.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by tkb417(m): 10:54am On Jun 01, 2010
the guy must think we are fools in Nigeria

even if he has the power to resurrect MKO today, we still wont vote for him

let him continue chatting opaks
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 01, 2010
That's a cheap shot at gaining popularity! I bet he thinks we arew suffering from amnesia undecided
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Kabikala(m): 11:19am On Jun 01, 2010
According to IBB,
“I think it is good at long last that somebody is trying to acknowledge the efforts of Chief M. K. O. Abiola. We cannot deny him the fact that he fought for democracy, and I am glad that the government is accepting it".

Who was MKO fighting against? The enemies of democracy of course.
And who is the number one enemy? IBB of course.
So if we agree to immortalize the one who died while fighting for democracy, don't you think it makes sense to mutilate the one person who killed democracy?
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by mrjingles(m): 11:22am On Jun 01, 2010
joker! ^^^^ faultless logic
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Arogunmasa(m): 11:46am On Jun 01, 2010
ibb is taking nigerians for a ride. u know we have short memories. nigerians never had so bad under is regime- economy began its downtown ride. If i ibb can not deliver for gud 8yrs, what has he got to offer now? i dont buy it. make he find him maga go front.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 01, 2010
Now that IBB has realised how much the nigerian populace hates him he wanted to be relevant and play on our intelligence by calling for MKO ABIOLAs immortalisation ( HE ANNULLED THE MOST FREE & FAIREST JUNE 12 ELECTION IN THE HISTORY OF NIGERIA AND INDIRECTLY MURDERED ABIOLA IN PRISON). His likes will never be president of this country again because nigerian youths are ready to take their destinies in their hands. Most of the vices in nigeria like drugs, corruption, political murders are traceable to the babangidas presidency days. I THINK IBB IS SUFFERING FROM AMNESIA BECAUSE HOW DO WE DISSECT HIS AMBITION TO BE PRESIDENT OF THIS COUNTRY AGAIN, BUT LIKE ADAGE SAYS 'HE WHO THE GODS WANT TO KILL IT FIRST MADE MAD'. IBB we know you are on the edge but first tell us what happened to the $12b oil windfall, Dele Giwas death and other evils you committed while in office
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 01, 2010
Hypocrite, seeking cheap popularity.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Arogunmasa(m): 12:43pm On Jun 01, 2010
[/quote][quote author=Timehin link=topic=454997.msg6129115#msg6129115 date=1275390233]
Now that IBB has realised how much the nigerian populace hates him he wanted to be relevant and play on our intelligence by calling for MKO ABIOLAs immortalisation ( HE ANNULLED THE MOST FREE & FAIREST JUNE 12 ELECTION IN THE HISTORY OF NIGERIA AND INDIRECTLY MURDERED ABIOLA IN PRISON). His likes will never be president of this country again because nigerian youths are ready to take their destinies in their hands. Most of the vices in nigeria like drugs, corruption, political murders are traceable to the babangidas presidency days. I THINK IBB IS SUFFERING FROM AMNESIA BECAUSE HOW DO WE DISSECT HIS AMBITION TO BE PRESIDENT OF THIS COUNTRY AGAIN, BUT LIKE ADAGE SAYS 'HE WHO THE GODS WANT TO KILL IT FIRST MADE MAD'. IBB we know you are on the edge but first tell us what happened to the $12b oil windfall, Dele Giwas death and other evils you committed while in office

Abi oooooooo. thank u my broda
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Fhemmmy: 12:54pm On Jun 01, 2010
This is the Utterances of a:

1. Great Politician
2. Good Nigerian that knows what Nigerians wanna hear.
3. Man on a Mission.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by firebrand: 12:59pm On Jun 01, 2010
IBB's game plan this time around is very cheap. He is called 'evil genius' but it seems the 'genius' in the  'evil genius' has dissapeared and the EVIL alone is easily detected by Nigerians. The strategy is to use same Abiola to pacify the populace but the more he talk the more people got irritated by his logic.

Let him go and enjoy the looted fund and  forget the presidency again for live.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by bisiaet: 1:07pm On Jun 01, 2010
I think IBB need a serious psychatric help.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by eros(m): 1:09pm On Jun 01, 2010
IBB has completely lost it and only certain death can pacify Nigerians. So, i say death to the tyrant. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by edujoy(m): 1:15pm On Jun 01, 2010
Thats why he is called the maradona of Nigerian politics, but his tricks are no longer potent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Taraba Speaker Gbana Reportedly Impeached / BREAKING: Buhari Presidency Moves To Arrest CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor / Evans The Notorious Kidnapper Sentenced To Death By Hanging Today(Video)!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.