Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,359 members, 7,836,465 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida (6574 Views)

North Getting Poorer, Says Babangida Aliyu / PRONACO Want Ojukwu Immortalised / Jonathan Cannot Contest, Says Babangida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by otokx(m): 8:26pm On Jun 01, 2010
IBB needs to come down to the psychiatric hospital here in Rumuigbo, Port Harcourt and get himself examined.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by ifihearam: 9:03pm On Jun 01, 2010
whats wrong with that?he just trying to be honest
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by MAYOWAAK: 9:03pm On Jun 01, 2010
Several human rights activists, lawyers and others in Nigeria have slammed former Military President, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, IBB, for calling for the immortalisation of the late Moshood Abiola after annulling the election he won 17 years ago.

They were pained not because it is not a good thing to immortalise Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the freest election ever conducted in the history of Nigeria, the 12 June, 1993 election, but that such a statement is coming from the architect of the annulment of the election.

Abiola was believed to have won by landslide the 12 June, 1993 election which was annulled by IBB, which eventually led to the demise of the late business mogul during the struggle for the actualisation of his mandate.

IBB is eying the presidency of Nigeria next year and has been scoring cheap political points through his public comments, the latest being his call for the immortalisation of Abiola, his bosom friend, whom he allegedly betrayed by annulling the election he won.

According to constitutional lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay, IBB’s statement was cheap political propaganda, saying that he was responsible for Abiola’s downfall and his death.

“If he had not annulled the election, Abiola would not have died and would have become president.   Abiola was a martyr.   IBB is the remote cause of his death.  Calling for Abiola’s immortalisation sounds very ill to have come from the mouth of the person responsible for his death,” he said.

Pastor Tunde Bakare, founder, Latter Rain Assembly and convener of the Save Nigeria Group, was disgusted by IBB’s statement and simply said “It is medicine after death.”

Festus Keyamo, a Lagos based lawyer said: “Nigerians at this point should demand for the trial of IBB because what he is saying now is a confessional statement.   He is saying in the real sense that Abiola won the election and that he annulled it, which is a criminal offence.

“Nigerians should call for his trial.   The most insincere and deceitful statement I have ever heard since I was born is coming from the mouth of a conman.   This call should be dismissed and Nigerians should call for his trial at this point in time.”

“What IBB said is like urinating on Abiola’s grave; it is a mockery of MKO in his grave and he is playing politics with Abiola’s name.   The blood of MKO will haunt him till the end. “Shortly after the annulment, MKO had said that IBB bit him.   I pray that MKO’s ghost will continue to haunt him until he made a true confession,” added Mr. Yinka Odumakin, National Publicity Secretary, Afenifere Renewal Group.

Comrade Debo Adeniran, Chairman, Coalition Against Corrupt Leader, CACOL, said IBB did not deserve to be forgiven for deliberately annulling the 12 June, 1993 presidential election won by Abiola.

“He should have confessed his sins earlier and asked for forgiveness.   He has destroyed the democratic structure.   It is not for him to tell us what to do, but it is left for the government to immortalise him; he should go back to Minna and die there,” said Adeniran.

Comrade Tony Iyare expressed bitterness over IBB’s statement because it was a political one and not out of love for Abiola and called on the former military president to stop all the deceit.

“Abiola ought to have been immortalised before now.   12 June ought to have been democracy day and not 29 May.   Without Abiola, there would not have been democracy by now.

“IBB said what he said to achieve his selfish aim.   We are ready to tackle IBB.   He should go back to Minna to continue to mourn Mariam.   He spent eight years in power and entrenched corruption.   There is no way for the likes of IBB to call for the immortalisation of Abiola,” he stated.

Immediate past Convener, United Action for Democracy (UAD), Comrade Biodun Aremu said “all these things are diversionary tactics by IBB.   These are just criminally minded people that Nigerians should disregard.

“IBB should not be relevant anymore.   We should disregard his statement and find ways to address our problems.  People like IBB should be stoned,” he said.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by MAYOWAAK: 9:05pm On Jun 01, 2010
ifihearam:

A NIGERIAN SUFFERING FROM AMNESIA
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by oge4real(f): 10:02pm On Jun 01, 2010
Pplease is this coming from the same IBB of June 12?
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by shotster50(m): 11:04pm On Jun 01, 2010
Something tells me he enjoys the reaction of Nigerians whenever he speaks,
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by lukkie(m): 11:08pm On Jun 01, 2010
Oloriburuku to ma ra're gbeyin aye e! He wants to score cheap political points.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by newintexas: 11:24pm On Jun 01, 2010
DESPERADO!!!!!Why don't you come to your senses,
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by ayo84(m): 11:33pm On Jun 01, 2010
somebody should shut this IBB up,they shld bring up that oil windfall report that he was implicated in and he shld be put behind bars
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by haronky7: 11:35pm On Jun 01, 2010
Just doing a bit of research and found this;

Psychopathy  is a personality disorder characterized by an abnormal lack of empathy combined with strongly amoral conduct, masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal.  Psychopaths are described as "intraspecies predators”. Psychopaths use charisma, manipulation, intimidation, sexual intercourse and violence to control others and to satisfy their own needs. They are lacking in conscience and empathy, they take what they want and do as they please, violating social norms and expectations without guilt or remorse

Does this sound familiar?

The worst part; NO REAL TREATMENT for this human plague  sad sad

End of lesson, class dismissed; but do hope KOSOVO took his notes!  cool cool
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by stiyke(m): 12:00am On Jun 02, 2010
Too bad for IBB, lwkm.
He is surely getting to his destination , madness.

Some1 should advise the Federal Government to insist the Super eagles play the June 12th world cup match with argentina in on a sad note to remind nigerians of the evil this moronic IBB can visit on a nation unfortunately Nigeria.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by lightheart(m): 12:56am On Jun 02, 2010
''He disclosed that when it is time, Nigerians
will know. “The time has not come; when
we get to the bridge we will cross it,” he
said.'' smells fishy, i fink!! the evil genius myt hv som tricks cos i cant c d reason y dis deceptive move wuld b made so obvious!!! wel, i'm optimistic dt d Nigerian Voice has become bold nd authoritative,
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by philip0906(m): 1:56am On Jun 02, 2010
even d real maradona one day,retired 4rm active soccer.so ibb is only bidding his time.one day,he'll hang p his"boots" either in death or castration lipsrsealed
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by davidif: 3:24am On Jun 02, 2010
WOW! GUILTY CONSCIENCE DEY PRICK THE EVIL GENIUS.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by swing4real(m): 4:29am On Jun 02, 2010
Gosh!! I used to have a little respect for this fool but each time i hear him speak i feel ashamed of myself for having a little respect for him.It has become so obvious that IBB is just dumb and has lost it but too bad he fails to realize it. IBB ought to understand we are living in a different world call ¨Communication Era¨ when he was in power and things has changed. I see the downfall of this man so rapidly and too bad he is too blind to see this.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by gbagudara: 8:57am On Jun 02, 2010
That is balderdash. What kind of crap is this? What happened to June 12? He was the genesis of Abiola's demise. That man singlehandedly pulled Nigeria back a hundred years. What is he coming back for? Another June 12. A leopard never changes its color. Beware the Ides of June. It will do Babandiga or whatever his name is to stop referring to Abiola's name in any form. That will put paid to all his political ambition. Nonsense! Why not Muritalize it? This is why politics is for mindless people. People who have so much mortgaged their conscience they are no longer humans. How dare he say that. That really chaps my hide. Some one needs to tell him to go back to Minna and stay put. Henceforth, Badangiba or whatever his name is should be seen and not be heard. Period. Nonsense and ingredient. Chabudoromagandoro
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by chouseltd: 9:20am On Jun 02, 2010
He the subject matter, can not fool everybody all time.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 02, 2010
ifihearam:

ibb is the real opposite of honest.as far as i'm concerned,he lacks the credibilty to say anything good or bad about mko.he should go and die instead!!!
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Emax(m): 9:55am On Jun 02, 2010
What do you expect from a desperate man campagning for ur vote in 2011?

Out-dated tricks!
wink
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by sizzlers(m): 10:11am On Jun 02, 2010
Emax:

What do you expect from a desperate man campagning for your vote in 2011?

Out-dated tricks!
wink
INDEED THE MAN IS VERY VERY DESPERATE AND HE NEEDS REHAB
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by anonimi: 10:35am On Jun 02, 2010
The Babangida years

By Tolu Ogunlesi
April 17, 2010 10:36PM

In his first New Year Day’s speech as military president, months after deposing the Buhari-Idiagbon government in a bloodless coup enthusiastically welcomed by Nigerians, Ibrahim Babangida declared: “I wish to reaffirm that this administration does not intend to stay in power a day longer than is required to lay the necessary institutional framework to bring about a better and more stable Nigeria.” Babangida’s bonhomie (its trademark an endearing gap-toothed smile) - in stark contrast to the stern, unsmiling façade of Muhammadu Buhari, his predecessor - made it easy for him to be believed.
The distinction between the two regimes in fact ran much deeper than personality quirks. Babangida, in action, proved to be the complete antithesis of his predecessor. He threw open prison doors, setting free hundreds of 3rd republic politicians convicted and jailed by Buhari. He repealed the obnoxious Decree No. 4 of 1984 with which the Buhari regime had shackled the media. He promised to run “an open administration that is responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of all the people” - a departure from the high-handedness of the Buhari/Idiagbon era.
One of his first actions as military president was to allow Nigerians to decide, through public debates, whether to accept the $2.5 billion International Monetary Fund (IMF) loan the Buhari government had been negotiating for.
After the terror of the Buhari years, Nigerians appeared to have found a statesman in military uniform.

Tough times that lasted
By 1985, Nigeria’s foreign debt had ballooned to $18 billion, up from $3.4 billion in 1980 (it would rise beyond $30 billion by the end of the 80s), and external reserves had dwindled to less than $2 billion. Oil prices had been in freefall for 3 years running, and in January 1986 they finally fell to less than $20 per barrel, a record low since the start of the decade.
To his credit Babangida made all the right noises about revamping the economy. In his Independence Day 1985 speech, barely two months old in office, he declared “a state of economic emergency for the next 15 months.” That speech went on to lay down a comprehensive plan for “economic reconstruction”.
This plan included a moratorium on new foreign debt, promotion of agriculture and industrial development, restriction of importation to “essential commodities”, financial sector reform and privatisation.

Populist leanings
IBB was a master of the populist move - ambitious government programs targeted at tackling poverty, and empowering rural dwellers. His government churned out program after program, in a bid to actualize his promises to run an inclusive, people-facing government. In 1986, Babangida launched the Mass Mobilization for Self Reliance, Social Justice, and Economic Recovery (MAMSER).
In 1987, the Directorate of Food and Rural Infrastructure (DFFRI) was launched to promote agriculture and transform Nigeria’s rural landscape by providing modern infrastructure. Other Babangida creations include the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), National Economic Reconstruction Fund (NERFUND), Peoples Bank of Nigeria (PBN), National Board for Community Banks (NBCB), Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Nigeria Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), National Planning Commission (NPC), and the Urban Development Bank.
No other Nigerian government presided over such substantial expansion of government bureaucracy as the Babangida administration. In time, the fiscal prudence that Babangida espoused vanished: billions of naira were sunk into an endless transition programme, and in the early ‘90s, 12 billion dollars worth of windfall crude oil revenue (courtesy of the rise in the oil prices due to the Gulf War) could not be accounted for.
Mr. Babangida also came to perfect the art of dispensing patronage through political appointments (mostly targeted at leading members of the opposition) and a far-from-transparent allocation of lucrative oil blocks.

“A man whose words mean nothing”
Mr. Babangida’s contradictions eventually overwhelmed his reputation so that when, in May 1993, the activist and lawyer Gani Fawehinmi described him as “a man whose words mean nothing to him”, evidence of this littered his eight years in power.
Only months after vowing to run a “government by consultation with the people”, Mr. Babangida in 1986 surreptitiously - and unilaterally - took Nigeria, an avowed secular state, into full membership of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC), a body which describes itself as “the collective voice of the Muslim world.”
Mr. Babangida lamented the “large role played by the public sector in economic activity with hardly any concrete results to justify such a role.”Ironically, over the course of the next five years, he would go ahead to supervise an unprecedented expansion of government. And despite his deference to the wish of Nigerians to reject the IMF loan, Mr. Babangida went ahead to implement some of the Fund’s most drastic requirements - a devaluation of the naira, and removal of subsidies, chief of which were the petroleum subsidies.
Mr. Babangida promised Nigerians that the “belt-tightening” was sorely needed: the painful injection that would usher in vibrant economic health; the mandatory dark lining before a cloud of prosperity. Those reforms, which he christened “Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP)”, came into effect in 1986, with a far-from-pleasant impact on Nigerians. Purchasing powers dwindled, inflation rose, and the obliteration of the middle class began. In 1989, SAP riots rocked the country, as Nigerians had finally had enough of economic reforms which silver lining they waited in vain for.

Greatest failings
Mr. Babangida’s greatest failings were however in two key areas: his human rights record, and his political transition programme. In December 1985, a group of soldiers, which included his close friend, Mamman Vatsa, were arrested on allegations of plotting to topple the 4-month old Babangida government. After Vatsa was convicted and sentenced to death, Mr. Babangida assured a delegation of distinguished writers (Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and J.P. Clark), which had come pleading for mercy, that he was “determined to do everything in my power to save (Vatsa).”
Hours later, Vatsa and the other alleged plotters were executed.
As opposition to Mr. Babangida’s rule grew, so did his intolerance for dissent, so that he routinely shut down or proscribed media houses; and harassed journalists, civil society and labour groups using the instruments of state (the State Security Service, Directorate of Military Intelligence and the Police).
In 1986, five students of the Ahmadu Bello University were murdered when mobile policemen invaded the campus to quell anti-IMF protests. He also promulgated a series of draconian decrees targeted at quelling all opposition, and on occasion did not hesitate to deport foreign critics (University lecturer Patrick Wilmot and journalist William Keeling).
In October 1986, frontline journalist Dele Giwa was murdered by a letter bomb in Lagos. Preliminary police investigations stated that senior officers of Mr. Babangida’s intelligence services, who had hounded Giwa in his final days, had questions to answer regarding Giwa’s death. The mystery of the Giwa assassination remains unsolved till date.

An interminable journey
A maddeningly convoluted transition programme, whose terminal date soon became a mirage - first 1990, then 1992, and then 1993 - is one of the most significant things Babangida will be remembered for.
Early on in his administration, Mr. Babangida inaugurated a “Political Bureau” to “kick off, as it were, the national debate on a viable future political ethos and structure for our dear country.”
The political bureau was soon followed by a Constituent Assembly, which in 1989 fashioned a new constitution for the country.
Also, in 1989, he created, by presidential fiat, two political parties, the Social Democratic Party and the National Republican Convention. Then in 1991, he released a controversial list of prominent politicians whom he said were banned from participating in the transition programme.
In October 1992, he cancelled the results of the parties’ presidential primaries, causing new primaries to be held in March 1993. And then in June 1993 he annulled the results of the presidential elections, presumed to have been won by billionaire businessman MKO Abiola.

This was the final straw.
By this time, Nigerians had finally had enough of his shenanigans, and violent protests forced him to “step aside” on August 27, 1993,“My colleagues and I are determined to change the course of history,” Mr. Babangida told Nigerians in his maiden speech as Head of State, on August 27, 1985.
By the time he reluctantly relinquished power exactly eight years later, he had achieved that goal, far more successfully than he, or anyone else, could ever have imagined.

Source: Next
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by bkbabe97: 10:57am On Jun 02, 2010
^^^Can someone PLEASE forward the above piece to Ojukwu? Aint this the dude he endorsed for President? The same dude he promised the "Ibo vote" in the next elections? Wow!
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by AndreUweh(m): 11:02am On Jun 02, 2010
bk/babe97:

^^^Can someone PLEASE forward the above piece to Ojukwu? Aint this the dude he endorsed for President? The same dude he promised the "Ibo vote" in the next elections? Wow!
He will surely live longer than you.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by bkbabe97: 12:27pm On Jun 02, 2010
Andre Uweh:

He will surely live longer than you.

Lol. Sure, anything u say god!!! Crazy Ibo fella! Wannabe Nostradamus!
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 02, 2010
bk/babe97:

was ojuku blind or not alive when ibb was conducting all these atrocities ?the same blood runs in their veins,so i dont expect less from the stu-pidity displayed by ojuku as it relates to ibb.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by AndreUweh(m): 12:47pm On Jun 02, 2010
~Bluetooth:

was ojukwu blind or not alive when ibb was conducting all these atrocities ?the same blood runs in their veins,so i dont expect less from the stu-pidity displayed by ojukwu as it relates to ibb.
Also, Awolowo was alive atleast for two years.
HID is still alive.
Ooni of Ife.
Oladipo Diya.
I will list the rest after office hours.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 02, 2010
Andre Uweh:

HID is still alive.
Ooni of Ife.
Oladipo Diya.
and how many of them are supporting babangida today except your fooolish hero
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by bkbabe97: 2:39pm On Jun 02, 2010
Andre Uweh:

HID is still alive.
Ooni of Ife.
Oladipo Diya.

Also remember to provide IRREFUTABLE evidence that they assured the murderous general of the votes of their tribe members in the next election!!!lol. Remember thats wut Ojuku did!

P.S: Why do yall get mad when mention is made of Ojuku's support for this world hated im.becile? I thot Ojuku was neva wrong? Why all of a sudden all the Ibos r ashamed of his latest action! C'mmon man, it aint as bad as declaring an independent state with only 9 guns in his arsenal! grin

**** Someone's work computer is about to go on overload. u bout to get urself fired, buddy****
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by Vernor(m): 3:05pm On Jun 02, 2010
Let him join MKO and we will immortalise him too by naming a hall, a street in Abuja and minna, Kingdom of Darkness against his name.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by SKYPO: 3:36pm On Jun 02, 2010
D people of NL, I salute.

I don't blame IBB for his statement because why most Mr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan acknowledge Chief MKO for d fist time since 1999. Since other past leaders did not acknowledged MKO as a true hero of Nigeria, during their tenures in the office like Obj and our late President.

my question is why should Goodluck acknowledge MKO as a Hero instead of the great men that fought for our freedom?. I think there is more to this statement of Mr. Goodluck.

let us forget sentiment this time around & face the truth.
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by nellaluv(f): 6:55pm On Jun 02, 2010
whoa, this guy is desperate and he's getting retarded by the day.
NO TO IBB!!!
Re: I Want Abiola Immortalised, Says Babangida by princekevo(m): 6:06am On Jun 03, 2010
Na woah for Nigerians. If Indeed IBB meant what he said, i will see him as the best states man Nigerian had ever had. Since Independence we have never seen any past president that publicly regret any of his acts during his tenure. I read one article also of where he publicly asked for Nigerian forgiveness for the mistakes of June 12. That is unlike African presidents, they instead justify their mistakes even when it is obvious. This is a man who has acknowledged many times to the public his failures as the president.

Why do we all see him a man who is mentally ill, just becoz he asked to correct his mistakes. What if he is genuinely regretting his action towards Abiola? What if he is genuinely asking for Nigerians forgive on how mishandled the nation for 8year in power? Lets not forget that this man is walking closer to his grave on a daily bases, probably might not wanna enter his graveyard with such regrets, guilt and hatred from the masses. For me i don't see a man who is mentally ill, but a man living a life with full of regrets, a man filled with guilt. So i don't see anything wrong in him trying to correct some of his mistakes or strengthening his ways. That is unlike any African leader. Kudos to him!!!. His boldness is against all odds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Convoy Pelted In Gombe / Fg Rules Out Building Of Refineries . / Sexual Beliefs Of Boko Haram And Isis-hilarious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.