Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,667 members, 7,813,231 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals (6875 Views)

Ombatse Traditionalists: Police Killed Our Members So We Killed 95 Of Them / Tension In Ogun As Muslims, Traditionalists Clash / Assault: Benin Monarch Curses Task Force Chief! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by marabout(m): 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2010
@ SapeleGuy,

Don't bother to preach to those to biased to learn.  Historically, Urhobos/Isokos have been the best allies of the Edos in those days of war. Anyone with a basic knowledge of history will know that.

My grandpa gave vast areas of land to deltans in Edo state to farm and process palm oil on. Their children born on that land are successful people today.
I asked my dad how they came to be on those land, he said his own dad saw the urhobos/Isokos as bona fide people of Bini. The man believed that dialect and geographical location didn't change that. perhaps because my grandpa was well-travelled and knew history.
So I was not surprised when Gen. David Ejoor (rtd) said something similar in his book.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 08, 2010
snowdrops:

after quoting a beautifully written post, is that all you have as a response?

Pathetic
we know people and tribes that have ventured so much for nigeria,so that story is just a tales by moolight.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jun 08, 2010
Thank you sky rocker and marabout. Sometimes it is a sheer waste of time to post in nairaland because of the ignorance and arrogance of some of the posters, how can some one look down on a person? just because the person, worships at the holy aru osa church. what rights do you have? Are you God? Why do you feel you are better? This state of mind which I must say is present in most nigerians, in my opinion, is not far from the root of our problems in this country.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by snowdrops(m): 3:07pm On Jun 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

we know people and tribes that have ventured so much for nigeria,so that story is just a tales by moolight.
wake up man and smell the coffee.

people here are laughing at you not with you.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by isimili: 4:27pm On Jun 08, 2010
hilarious. But people on a more serious note why are we condemning the Oba's genuine intentions and invocations. The man has had enough and cant wait forever for our paralytic corrupt politicians who are concentrating on how to rig 2011 elections. but Don't forget that before oyibo man carry religion come this worked for them. The key to these psychological warfares is belief. If you believe in the Gods of your fathers and nothing more and truly condition your mind that he is working for you, then who knows it might be a very idiotic thing to do but your mindset whether or not anything happens will make you believe that you have won the warfare. Again the so called criminals believe in juju and would even go to the juju man to ask for powers before they set off on their criminal ventures. there is a popular saying that we must give to Cesar what is due to him and God what is due to him. Since these poor souls believe in the devilish power of the jujus of this world, it might be that the Oba can match their ignorance and frighten them with what they believe in. On the other hand for those of us who believe in God, we should simply distance ourselves from the Oba and his gang and let them speak to themselves in the language they understand.

The main point we are missing is what is the cause of crimes in our society? In my mind, unlawful display of affluence by criminals dressed like politicians, total failure of leadership and absolute breakdown in law and order in our country. EFCC was set up to deal with corruption but what have they achieved to date? the same people that set them up including crazy boy boy of aso rock andooaka are also making gigantic efforts to block them from bringing to justice. they steal all the money, destroy infrastructure and create no employment for the youths. what do you expect in a society like that? Ride on Oba. Though in modern day ideology, your ideas can be simply designated as silly or psychotic, if you believe in it and the criminals do too, the go for it. we are watching from the sidelines.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by bawomolo(m): 6:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
An Oba of Benin was the first Oba to become a Christian in West Africa. The oldest christian cathedral in Nigeria stands in Benin.

and what award do you want for this? should so-called christians be heaping curses on their enemies.
what happened to agape love?
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by redsun(m): 6:25pm On Jun 08, 2010
isimili:

hilarious. But people on a more serious note why are we condemning the Oba's genuine intentions and invocations. The man has had enough and cant wait forever for our paralytic corrupt politicians who are concentrating on how to rig 2011 elections. but Don't forget that before oyibo man carry religion come this worked for them. The key to these psychological warfares is belief. If you believe in the Gods of your fathers and nothing more and truly condition your mind that he is working for you, then who knows it might be a very idiotic thing to do but your mindset whether or not anything happens will make you believe that you have won the warfare. Again the so called criminals believe in juju and would even go to the juju man to ask for powers before they set off on their criminal ventures. there is a popular saying that we must give to Cesar what is due to him and God what is due to him. Since these poor souls believe in the devilish power of the jujus of this world, it might be that the Oba can match their ignorance and frighten them with what they believe in. On the other hand for those of us who believe in God, we should simply distance ourselves from the Oba and his gang and let them speak to themselves in the language they understand.

The main point we are missing is what is the cause of crimes in our society? In my mind, unlawful display of affluence by criminals dressed like politicians, total failure of leadership and absolute breakdown in law and order in our country. EFCC was set up to deal with corruption but what have they achieved to date? the same people that set them up including crazy boy boy of aso rock andooaka are also making gigantic efforts to block them from bringing to justice. they steal all the money, destroy infrastructure and create no employment for the youths. what do you expect in a society like that? Ride on Oba. Though in modern day ideology, your ideas can be simply designated as silly or psychotic, if you believe in it and the criminals do too, the go for it. we are watching from the sidelines.

Well said.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 08, 2010
We need good leaders in nigeria who would be seen as heroes and role model not like the deji of Akure that battered his wife or oba of benin that is organizing a 'curse/cursing session'.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 08, 2010
with or without curse, does it make any difference to most of nigeria besides maybe bumping off a few undesirable elements who may be thorns in some people's flesh at a particular point in time.

no water, electricity and horrible roads are enough curses as it is.

not to mention the unending bad belle naijas dey take finish themselves even at the best of times?

i wonder why the police force is so under equipped to handle crime.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nenum(m): 7:37pm On Jun 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

We need good leaders in nigeria who would be seen as heroes and role model not like the deji of Akure that battered his wife or oba of benin that is organizing a 'curse/cursing session'.

Please what is your background.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by beninman1(m): 8:21pm On Jun 08, 2010
I fully support the cursing concept cos it is for a good curse
i.e. to rid Benin of these kidnappers and evil doers.

Some people might say it is traditional bla bla bla or it wont work, but let us wait and see.

Time will tell.

Overall, i am pleased the Oba is greatly concerned with the problem that he wishes to do something about it.
At least, he isn't causing trouble or making a fool of himself like that someone from Akure, did i say Deji??
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 08, 2010
Nenum:

Please what is your background.
what has my backgroud got to do with the matter on ground.the issue is that i dont believe in voodoo.cant you guys just understand that.aarghhhh
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by AndreUweh(m): 9:30pm On Jun 08, 2010
Let us give the Oba and cabinet a chance, if the curse(s) are effective, then other states will follow suit. Just like the Sharia from Zamfara to neighbouring states.
If there is any success, neigbouring states such as Ondo, Ekiti etc should be encouraged to act likewise.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 08, 2010
So when prayer works no more,then people would resort to curse.na wa o
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nenum(m): 10:08pm On Jun 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

what has my background got to do with the matter on ground.the issue is that i don't believe in voodoo.cant you guys just understand that.aarghhhh

i wasn't referring to your believe,
i was referring to your entire writing style or depth as the case maybe.
i guess a background check would help us properly place your pen.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 08, 2010
Nenum:

i wasn't referring to your believe,
i was referring to your entire writing style or depth as the case maybe.
i guess a background check would help us properly place your pen.
you want to conduct a vetting on me ? Be my guest,just ask me what you wanna know.mschewwwww
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by bigfrancy(f): 10:59pm On Jun 08, 2010
Bleep them
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by bigfrancy(f): 11:00pm On Jun 08, 2010
Bleep them
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by snowdrops(m): 3:39pm On Jun 09, 2010
in the 1980s, lawrence anini and his gang terrorized benin and surrounding areas.

the benin monarch and the traditional institution performed a "cursing ritual" with elderly women walking naked round the city centre.

a few weeks later anini and all his criminal friends were caught, jailed, tried and shot.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by tpiah: 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2010
^^in other words, the cursing ritual signifies certain targetted criminals will be ratted out.

ie their time has come.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by snowdrops(m): 3:51pm On Jun 09, 2010
yes o. the clock is ticking. this is spiritual and psychological warfare in motion.

clearly, an act of desperation after the rule of law have failed.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by newintexas: 9:47pm On Jun 09, 2010
It is very sad that my place of birth has deteriorated to what it is today. I have always wondered why the Oba has let this go on for so long.
I am a christian and do not know if these curses really work. But the way things are going, drastic steps have to be taken if not Edo state will never recover from the evil and violence that has rendered the place useless. Maybe if the works, then the sons and daughters of the state will not be so scared to go back home to develop their state and invest in it.
My doubt in this is that the Igbinedions have gotten away with so much atrocities and have disrespected the monarchy for so long that alot of people do not have faith in the Oba anymore and I am one of them.
Having said this, How do we then deal with the evil that goes on within families, especially those that have relatives living abroad.
50% that do come back home end up hanging in lagos or abuja for fear of being killed.
Edo state is the saddest, poorest and small minded state in the whole Nigeria and its going to take more than the Oba and his chief's to make a difference. But it is a start, the second the people needs to do is to stop glorifying the likes of the Igbinedions that have robbed the place dry. By the time everyone shuns them and make them outcast, then everyone will learn their lessons.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by kosovo(m): 11:15pm On Jun 09, 2010
preparing for take-off cheesy
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by gbagudara: 6:20am On Jun 10, 2010
They should call on Jesus and pray
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 10, 2010
kosovo:

preparing for take-off cheesy
waiting patiently anyways you may wish to post some pics,please.
gbagudara:

They should call on Jesus and pray
even the christains believe in ayelala.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by favouredjb(f): 8:39am On Jun 11, 2010
Tcrack:

i wont be suprised if the kidnappers storm the curse session, kidnapp the pot belly oba, his fat chifes, the market women,their gods and any other valuable thing tickles their fancy. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I 'thunk' of exactly the same thing grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by favouredjb(f): 8:55am On Jun 11, 2010
But really,there's evil in our land,if u blive in good then u must blieve in eveil

i have never seen anybody who wants to be cursed,thats cos,they blive curses are real.

I am not totally in support of the cursing crusade/conference

but for those saying curses are not effective,pls have a rethink.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 11, 2010
The curse has been made i guess,let wait and see how effective it would be
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by spoOne: 9:23am On Jun 11, 2010
Bluetooth, you really don't want to be cursed by the Ooni of Ife or Oba of Benin, these Obas have the same very powerful ancestries. Just a warning to mere mortal! Before the crusaders and jihadists, there was peace and tranquility in the Edo and Yoruba lands - ever wonder why? There's quite a bit about the traditional oracles of these Obas that's inexplicable by science, and will ever be so.

Just a warning to the wise.
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by tpiah: 1:30pm On Jun 11, 2010
Before the crusaders and jihadists, there was peace and tranquility in the Edo and Yoruba lands

says who?
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by VALIDATOR: 2:31pm On Jun 11, 2010
$poOne:

Bluetooth, you really don't want to be cursed by the Ooni of Ife or Oba of Benin, these Obas have the same very powerful ancestries. Just a warning to mere mortal! Before the crusaders and jihadists, there was peace and tranquility in the Edo and Yoruba lands - ever wonder why? There's quite a bit about the traditional oracles of these Obas that's inexplicable by science, and will ever be so.

Just a warning to the wise.

History does not agree with you.May be you are trying to re-write history.
Kingdoms in Yorubaland (Benin Inclusive)fought several wars with one another even long b4 any foreign intervention.

Back to the original topic.
Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals, KRRRRRRRRRRRRRap;RRRRRRRRRubish
Re: Benin Monarch, Traditionalists To Curse Criminals by GoldCircle: 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2010
Please can any1 upload the pics of these traditionalist for us to see??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jonathan's Back Up Plan If He Looses!!! / Buhari Lands France For Second Time; Denied Presidential Greeting / Outrage As Catholic Priests Impregnates Thirty (30) Nuns (rev Sisters)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.