Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,181 members, 7,815,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? (16439 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Hotel, Motel, Inn And Guest House / ****hotels And Guest Houses In Lagos / Nice Hotels Or Guest Houses In Calabar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by mrkoma2012: 5:33pm On Jun 24, 2010
They are certainly over priced and suffer poor customer service skills compared to whats applicable in other climates.However,the le merdian calabar is very class mayb cos it new
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by 9jafreak: 5:56pm On Jun 24, 2010
It is absolutely ridiculous!

But nobody cares since CORRUPTION THRIVES

And the exorbitant fees are peanuts for majority of the patronizers!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by chukxy44(m): 6:49pm On Jun 24, 2010
Again and Again very few made attempts to put forward figures to back their claims, why do we just go on and on and total forget the essence of the topic, I hope to see price comparism , most especially the price range of Guest houses and hotels and location but no I got the usual to and fro . Please tell me the rate of Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses (location is important). Thanks.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by OAM4J: 7:06pm On Jun 24, 2010
chukxy44:

Again and Again very few made attempts to put forward figures to back their claims, why do we just go on and on and total forget the essence of the topic, I hope to see price comparism , most especially the price range of Guest houses and hotels and location but no I got the usual to and fro . Please tell me the rate of Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses (location is important). Thanks.

Read from the beginning and get the figures. No one is disputing the figures but justification for the amount naija hotels charge.

i think this is an eye opener for entrepreneurs. Nigeria sure needs good investors in hotels business especially around Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 7:17pm On Jun 24, 2010
chukxy44:

haha

u need a translator?
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by CarlosVent(m): 7:45pm On Jun 24, 2010
yes dey r realy overpriced
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Kaestro(m): 8:42pm On Jun 24, 2010
Oh yes they are over priced and I'm talking about the sub-standard mushrooms we describe as hotels. Agreed overhead costs exceeds the average but it's no justification for the poor service and unavailability of proper facilities. Most of the owners and management lack the skills to run an efficient business. We all understand the effect of innovation, marketing strategy and competition in every business setting. Most of them remain in business even when it's not increasing in profits because of the sunk costs and hope the bait of exorbitant prices will cover their losses in which case just keeps them afloat.
For the proper hotels they are just priced according to demography, economic conditions etc so I can't say they are over-priced.
We cannot separate government's contribution to the woes of this industry though, lack of regulation is another factor.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by BOMANY: 9:16pm On Jun 24, 2010
PapaBrowne:
Way overpriced. Some creepy hotels in Victoria Island charge as high as 30k per night. The better ones can go for 50k per night.
Its horrible. In places like Dubai, New York, Frankfurt, you don't get to pay these kind of prices on hotels that are way better than those shitholes they offer on the Island

Yess indeed. Our bro asked if the hotels are overpriced NOT if their Overprices are justified or not

So, are the hotels overpriced or not? the naswer is big yes. These prices cannt make any tourism industry

I stayed in Sheraton Cairo on the bank the of Nile rever for 90$ per night, and even you cannot compare between sheraton here and there, in Cairo alone more than 5 Sheraton hotels. That is why 8million tourists visit Egypt annually spent 5billion USD, the same in south africa
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by kobikwelu(m): 10:07pm On Jun 24, 2010
truth is that hotels are overpriced in nigeria (in certain areas)

i recently travelled to uromi in edo state and i was shocked to see the size of the room i payed for , (N5,600)

the same room would cost me nothing less than N12,000 in abuja, or lagos; with even worse customer service.

apart from that equipment costs are simply outrageous

also the law of demand and supply comes into play

and inflation,
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Tcrack(m): 10:12pm On Jun 24, 2010
I really dont think so. I dont know about europe but compared to hotels in rio de janeiro, brasil, i honestly think nigerian hotels are very affordable.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpiah: 10:19pm On Jun 24, 2010
BOMANY:

Yess indeed. Our bro asked if the hotels are overpriced NOT if their Overprices are justified or not

So, are the hotels overpriced or not? the naswer is big yes. These prices cannt make any tourism industry

I stayed in Sheraton Cairo on the bank the of Nile rever for 90$ per night, and even you cannot compare between sheraton here and there, in Cairo alone more than 5 Sheraton hotels. That is why 8million tourists visit Egypt annually spent 5billion USD, the same in south africa

as you yourself mentioned, egypt has 8 million tourists annually.

so why are you comparing it with nigeria?

do we have pyramids and ancient temples?

@papabrowne

your price quote on the first page of this thread, doesnt show the average cost for a suite in the foreign hotels you listed.

@ topic

as per customer service- no such thing back home, imo.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Kc0022000(m): 10:26pm On Jun 24, 2010
Hotels in Nigeria ( Lagos,abj etc ) are over priced with less quality and service compared to those in Europe. Here in Germany you get quality service for less money,hotels are not over price here
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Nobody: 12:43am On Jun 25, 2010
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Princek12(m): 12:49am On Jun 25, 2010
All you people want 4 to 5 star hotels in a third-world country. Consider, these hotels, in order to provide 4 to 5 star service, have to spend substantial amounts of money to compensate for the shortfall that is caused by inadequate infrastructure.
If you guys think the high rates charged by hotels are not caused by operational costs, then mention one country that has no power and water supply, that depends on generators to practically provide 24-hr electricity, that charges these cheap rates. You guys will find that Naija's power problem is unique in its own.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by mendomp: 1:21am On Jun 25, 2010
I PRAY ONE DAY THE REST OF THE WORLD WILL FIND AN ALTERNATIVE POWERSOURCE,AND OIL WONT BE NEEDED ANYMORE,

AND I GUARANTEE YOU THAT NIGERIA WILL BECOME A BETTER COUNTRY, TRUST ME!!! ALL THESE POLITICIANS AND OIL TYCOONS/ WIL L GO BANKRUPT AND THINGS WILL GO BACK TO THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE.

WE ARE A POPULATION OF CLOSE TO 150MILLION RT? WHAT PERCENTAGE ACTUALLY BENEFIT FROM THE OIL WE PRODUCE?? IN MY ESTIMATION, IF THERE ISNT ANY NEED FOR OIL, ONLY 2% OF THE POP. WILL SUFFER, AND IM TOTALLY FINE WITH THAT.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Sauron1: 1:23am On Jun 25, 2010
Princek12:

All you people want 4 to 5 star hotels in a third-world country. Consider, these hotels, in order to provide 4 to 5 star service, have to spend substantial amounts of money to compensate for the shortfall that is caused by inadequate infrastructure.
If you guys think the high rates charged by hotels are not caused by operational costs, then mention one country that has no power and water supply, that depends on generators to practically provide 24-hr electricity, that charges these cheap rates. You guys will find that Naija's power problem is unique in its own.

This fact evades em. . . . .

They will still continue to compare Nigeria to Paris, Dubai and Greece cos some of them think Hotels in Greece and Paris run on generators and a Mobile Police unit that provides adequate security.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Outstrip(f): 1:27am On Jun 25, 2010
In my opinion it is overpriced. Don't bring the power supply or government into it. There are practically no labor laws in Nigeria so I know that staff are paid almost nothing. Just like you cannot compare what is being spent on power you can also not compare the quality of service to what you get in Nigerian "5 star" hotels. $350.00 a night indeed
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by chika98: 1:31am On Jun 25, 2010
^^ It is priced that way for a reason; they have to cover their costs and all that.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Outstrip(f): 1:36am On Jun 25, 2010
Same thing I am saying. There are costs that are unique to every place. The power problem might be unique to Nigeria but it still does not excuse the "uniqueness" of the price
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by shotster50(m): 1:42am On Jun 25, 2010
@ Topic From experience, Nigerian hotels are highly over priced and over rated and customer service is virtually non existent.

@ Princek12,

When I say on average most European Hotels are cheaper that their Nigerian counterparts, I am only taking into account the physical structure, customer service, etc and not the city they are based in. Dont know where you get that aassumption from.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by occam(m): 3:12am On Jun 25, 2010
How much do these hotels spend per month on diesel and engine oil, wages, advertisement, taxes, interest, cost of goods (drinks etc) vehicles, miscellaneous? Anyone has a ballpark figure?

Vs potential revenue of N21 million per month (N35, 000 * 20 *30)
Assuming:
N35, 000 (average nightly charge)
20 (number of rooms occupied per day)
30 (days in a month)

Is this price gouging or simply the high cost of running a hotel in Lagos?  Still, N35,000 seems too high to pay for hotel in Lagos
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 8:30am On Jun 25, 2010

stop commenting on what you do not know; whats with all these parody in ur posts?
nobody pays 150 dollars per room to run diesel and generator

how did they arrive at the 300 per day rate?
if the lopsided excuse of high cost of maintenance is the reason for the high rate, how come the services do not commensurate with what they charge? what excuses do they have for the non existent good customer service, the shabby decor and the ever present culinary/cuisine deficiencies

in all ramification, (pricing, standard, ambience and whatever qualities u can get from hotels; our local operators are nothing but shoddy
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by cibilola(f): 10:02am On Jun 25, 2010
oh yes! they are wayyyyyyyy over-priced! Imagine Eko Le Meridian rooms starting from $275 per night. If you pay that much in London, you are guaranteed the best suite, breakfast included, so much pampering, polite staff, hygenic surroundings etc. But you don't even get half of this when you pay through your nose in a Nigerian hotel.

I stayed at a hotel along Lekki Express way last year and after paying, there was a power-cut. I waited for about 5 mins for the staff to turn on their gen since it does not come on automatically, nothing happened. I decided to call them and ask what's up? that is how i started hearing story about how their gen is having trouble, They latter spoke the truth that they did not switch on the generator becuase there were only 2 or 3 (paying) guests in the hotel that night. So we were left with no power, in the middle of the night, no form of light (re-chargeable lamps etc) plus they were so rude! my God, needless to say, i checked out of there as soon as there was natural light enough to see the staircase and trace my way out of there!

Not only that, their bathroom was filthy, you wait almost an hour for your food and then the staff think they have the right to ask you for tips after such an abysmal service, I am only speaking about my experience from one hotel, i could go on and on, so, to answer the poster's question, yes, they are over-priced and they don't deliver
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by comechop1: 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2010
Indeed, Nigeria Hotels/Guest houses are over priced nation wide. They claim that petrol and water expenses were  the reason for the over priced. What about the standard of cleanliness in all these Hotels/Guest houses? It is a pity that Nigeria lack the standard of cleanliness, maintenance of facility in all sectors and we are long over due for OPERATION CLEAN UP who cares?

Generally speaking, take a look at some of these hotels called 5star, 3star, which ever beginning from the inside out check their kitchen, store, restaurant, fridges, microwave, toilet etc is vomitable and unbelievable lipsrsealed words alone could not express. They are only after the money and nothing to offer their customers. Most of these hotels/guest houses are not meant to be or given the licence to operate in the public and if i had power in the government i would have shut down a lot of them who failed to meet the required standard simple no bribe! But we are in a failed government in the sense that anything goes under the carpet. Hence another mans food is another mans poison. lipsrsealed

To be candid, am a very neat person and i posses the hospital standard of cleanliness therefore, all hotels/guest houses are not my standard and lot of them are under rated including the so called 5star. Believe me or not is the truth. They are poor in service and unhealthy they have a lot of tranche under their beds. while the good ones are very elusive.

Nigeria our country is long over due for OPERATION CLEAN UP i repeat again in every section including government offices with out proper toilet. I have seen a lot in our country and we do not take this serious. If it is my calling to serve my country, i will do it to the fullness no bribe! They say charity begins at home abi i lie? if ur house no clean how u fit make ur work place or business clean. na so so money money.

Anyway, here's some pics of my holiday rental house for you all. its just simple and clean unforgettable panorama very comfortable, neat and healthy for everyone and its completely powered by solar energy.

Thank you.

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 25, 2010
As usual Sauron doesn't know what he's saying!

That extra over-head costs from lack of electricity compensates for the exorbitant rates of a badly-run hotel? Sheesh!  tongue

There is no denying the fact that some Nigerian hotels are over-priced.

But I have to say that some pricing startegies are prestigous in nature. There is a clear class distinction and if a service provider targets a particular market, there's nothing wrong with that. He's just limiting his customers.

What is annoying however is some church-rat hotels also charging exorbitants rates. What's their excuse? Class distinction too? Puuuleez!

A business should be able to judge the market and build it's activities around it. That's why people keep inconveniencing family and friends when they travel out of their base, because the so-called hotels are ridiculously priced!  undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by DisGuy: 12:08pm On Jun 25, 2010
Who or how do they get their star ratings? seems they all just claim 4-5*** STARS likes chieftaincy titles
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by comechop1: 12:10pm On Jun 25, 2010
Patial vie of my rental house.

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by comechop1: 12:12pm On Jun 25, 2010
patial view continue

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by comechop1: 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2010
some more here

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 25, 2010
^^ Stop disturbin us here jor, go and open your own thread. angry
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by kodewrita(m): 12:24pm On Jun 25, 2010
Is there a void here that can be filled? What would you consider a reasonable price for a room (say a single room or a double or a suite)?
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by DisGuy: 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2010
that would depend on the location, facilities and services on offer

they are all claiming 4-5** when some are only providing 2* service

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kaduna Boat Accident: Five Students Feared Dead / What Are The Requirements For A Foreigner Visiting Nigeria To Marry Her Man? / Zimbabwe Visas From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.