Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? (16437 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Hotel, Motel, Inn And Guest House / ****hotels And Guest Houses In Lagos / Nice Hotels Or Guest Houses In Calabar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by RuuDie(m): 1:56pm On Jun 25, 2010
How many Nigerians actually patronize this hotels with their own money. . . . . 80% or more of those that u'll see are there on their company's account.

Utility overhead is not all to blame; a lot of this hotel owners just jack up the prices because of the type of clientele they service (mostly expats and multi-national execs).
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by cliveland: 2:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
By far the most convincing of the most text here is by naijamama below.

[b]I've stayed in some "no name" hotels and penzions in Europe whose architecture, decor, environment, services, etc will make the Abuja Hilton look like an Ajegunle shanty and whose room rates are like 10% of an average VI hotel. I think that it is the forces of demand and supply - for those who understand basic economics - that is at play rather than diesel and water. If diesel and water are so expensive to account for the high cost of Nija hotels then millions of ordinary Nigerians who provide these same services in their homes and offices all year round cannot afford them.

Recently I attended a conference and stayed in sea-side Resort (managed by Continental) in East Africa. The rates are far cheaper than some run-off the mill VI shanty hotels and yet they're fully booked. Another striking observation was that their guests were 99.9% foreigners mainly Westerners on holiday unlike in Nija where 95% of the guests are local looters and thieves. Another striking difference was that thro out my week long stay, the number of vehicles in the car parks were less than 5 at any given time. You'll be lucky if u ever find a parking space at Abuja Hilton or Sheraton where the thieves spend their loots and park all their cars.

It all boils down to supply and demand. Perhaps there are fewer hotels to meet an increasing demand. And what worries me the most is the poor architecture, design and decor of Nija hotels especiallly in Abuja. Those shanties cannot be allowed to stand in a society where there're building regulations. And yet they charge so much for so little. Diesel my foot.
[/b]

we dont hotels/motels, what we have are just some hungry hustlers using govt as the cheap excuse for everything that does not work around us. b4 they went into the same business they knew what were lacking so cant complan later, like the above poster said its just cause those who patronise them are thieves who didnt earn the monies they pay there.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpiah: 2:51pm On Jun 25, 2010
Another striking difference was that thro out my week long stay, the number of vehicles in the car parks were less than 5 at any given time. You'll be lucky if u ever find a parking space at Abuja Hilton or Sheraton where the thieves spend their loots and park all their cars.

daft statement, imo.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpiah: 2:52pm On Jun 25, 2010
hellooo

i posted photos of the abuja sheraton. Can someone unblock my post!!!!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:05pm On Jun 25, 2010
abuja sheraton

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by Blazay(m): 3:06pm On Jun 25, 2010
Don't let the decor fool you. Wait till you encouter the toilets that have not been washed for ages with mildew on the walls. cry The sheets give skin diseases too.

I love the food only, especially the Nigerian dishes buffets.

Over-prized and extremely filthy. The customer service sucks.

Give me a bed and breakfast in any London seedy joint or a "La Quinta" Inn any day. kiss
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:10pm On Jun 25, 2010
abuja sheraton

bad belle don finish una!!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:11pm On Jun 25, 2010
abuja sheraton

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:12pm On Jun 25, 2010
abuja sheraton

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:17pm On Jun 25, 2010
lake chad hotel

http://ROOM RATES:

Presidential Suite N 20, 000
Luxury Suite N 9, 000
Business Suite N 8, 000
Luxury Double N 4, 000

http://www.arewahotelsltd.com/lakechadhotel1.php

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by cliveland: 3:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
@ tpia

u dont have to be abusive, every1 is entitled to their opinion, it seems u work @ or perhaps have interest in abuja sheraton, do their interior match the exterior decor that u post here stop posting anything fro their site or hotel mag.

the issue here are there pricing ok or not and 4 most comments here, hotel pricing in naija is critically on the high, fuel or no fuel.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:30pm On Jun 25, 2010
^^i posted more info on lake chad hotel.

you people should beware of generalization.

and what do you mean interior decor vs exterior decor?

i posted photos of the interior- what else are you complaining about?
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:55pm On Jun 25, 2010
from the way my posts are mysteriously "vanishing" on this thread, i suspect the main actors here are paid mercenaries hiding under different user ids to type jargon.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 3:57pm On Jun 25, 2010
Blazay:

Don't let the decor fool you. Wait till you encouter the toilets that have not been washed for ages with mildew on the walls. cry The sheets give skin diseases too.

I love the food only, especially the Nigerian dishes buffets.

Over-prized and extremely filthy. The customer service sucks.

Give me a bed and breakfast in any London seedy joint or a "La Quinta" Inn any day. kiss

you are clearly brainwashed and a paid mercenary.

na the person wey dash you visa i blame.

now you know la quinta and london hotels- clap for yourself!!! angry

and yes, i checked your previous posts -'nuff said!!!

everything dey smell and is filthy and dirty!!

luckily for you, you or your agent deleted my previous response.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by mbulela: 4:25pm On Jun 25, 2010
Ujujoan:

^^ Stop disturbin us here jor, go and open your own thread. angry

you dey vex o!
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 4:48pm On Jun 25, 2010
pictures?

i stayed in Sheraton in Abuja and me and ma crew were evacuated in the middle of the night?

Abuja sheraton grin grin grin

Thats the joke of the century

even smaller hotels enjoy more patronage

Abuja sheraton and Chelsea hotel are in the same league

forget the architectural masterpiece
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by funkybaby(f): 4:59pm On Jun 25, 2010
@post

Of course, they are over-priced !

I remember an incident that happened about two years ago.

I was with my boo at Eko hotel and suites (a supposedly 4star hotel) and while we were trying to sort payment out, two white dudes walked up to the receptionist to 'report' the live cockroaches that were in the bathtub in their room.

It was funny though, but the guys didnt find it amusing and they refused to return back to the room till it was sorted
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 5:02pm On Jun 25, 2010
@ tkb417

^^i suspect you stayed at Sharaton hotel in shokolongo. undecided

easy to make that error.

eko hotel

comfort suites, festac

AVAILABLE ROOM TYPES

Suite from N17,200

Deluxe from N7,500

Executive Standard from N6,500

Standard from N5,550

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4024/im2401.jpg
[/img]

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 5:07pm On Jun 25, 2010
funkybaby:

@post

Of course, they are over-priced !

I remember an incident that happened about two years ago.

I was with my boo at Eko hotel and suites (a supposedly 4star hotel) and while we were trying to sort payment out, two white dudes walked up to the receptionist to 'report' the live cockroaches that were in the bathtub in their room.

It was funny though, but the guys didnt find it amusing and they refused to return back to the room till it was sorted

well, they reported, which is exactly what they should have done.

if housekeeping/management is slacking for whatever reason, then they should be brought to order.

now, if cockroaches are found there ALL the time, then that's a problem.

there are hotel inspectors in nigeria, no?
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 5:10pm On Jun 25, 2010
Tpiah
i have a starwood car given to me by the same Sheraton Abuja for ma days there

and for conferences booked in ma name

i know A- Z of these hotels

EKO Hotel and Transcorp are the hotels in Nigeria

maybe the new ones in Lagos will measure up, maybe

we never can say

Sheraton? na to go swim for there grin grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 5:16pm On Jun 25, 2010
sofitel ikoyi

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 5:18pm On Jun 25, 2010
tkb417:

Tpiah
i have a starwood car given to me by the same Sheraton Abuja for ma days there

and for conferences booked in ma name

i know A- Z of these hotels

EKO Hotel and Transcorp are the hotels in Nigeria

maybe the new ones in Lagos will measure up, maybe

we never can say

Sheraton? na to go swim for there grin grin grin grin

the issue i have with many people here is the generalization.

especially the one moaning about not finding parking space at abuja sheraton, and who was comparing that with the parking in some other country.

simply daft, imo.

btw my sharaton post wasnt meant to be taken seriously.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpia5: 5:23pm On Jun 25, 2010
southern sun, ikoyi

[img]https://www.southernsun.com/SSH/SSHContents/SiteContent/Brand/Southern%20Sun%20Hotels%20and%20Resorts/Southern%20Sun%20Ikoyi/Images/homepage2%20(300%20x%20225).jpg[/img]

Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 5:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
Tpiah
Southern sun is nice tho

Sofitel Ikoyi?

see, my point is, some of these bouquet hotels are way over priced

do u know how much it is to sleep in Sofitel?
like 40k per night?

thats like $260 shocked shocked shocked
crazy
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpiah: 5:32pm On Jun 25, 2010
@ topic

read about and rate your hotels here.

tripadvisor.com

A featured hotel is African garden lodge, lagos. As you can see if you bother to read through, various people left their reviews, and in this case, the manager personally responded.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g304026-d1129681-Reviews-African_Garden_Lodge-Lagos_Lagos_State.html
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by yinka85: 5:34pm On Jun 25, 2010
tkb417:

Tpiah
Southern sun is nice tho

Sofitel Ikoyi?

do u know how much is it to sleep in Sofitel?
like 40k per night?

crazy

Just from Sofitel Webpage and a room is advertised as 368 Euros.That is approximately 73,000 Naira.

Plain cracy.

http://www.sofitel.com/es/booking/hotels-list.shtml
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpiah: 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2010
tkb417:

Tpiah
Southern sun is nice tho

Sofitel Ikoyi?

do u know how much it is to sleep in Sofitel?
like 40k per night?

crazy

well, you may have more experience with four star nigerian hotels than me, but i doubt a hotel is overpriced if it delivers top notch service.

i agree customer service in nigeria leaves much to be desired, but anyone who knows a way to improve the situation, should share his/her ideals with us. I'm all ears.

$260 per night isnt too much if you can afford it, imo. Pricey, yes, i agree. The service just has to be classy.
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 5:40pm On Jun 25, 2010
yinka85:

Just from Sofitel Webpage and a room is advertised as 360 Euros.That is approximately 73,000 Naira.

Plain cracy.
hehehehe
ogini ?
73 wetin? grin grin grin grin

dem dey mad

which one is better sef
Novotel abi sofitel?

i know the Novotel in Cotonou was ok and of course was better than Sofitel Ikoyi

not sure i paid 73k in Cotonou. where i for get 73k from sef?
when ma papa no be abacha  grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tkb417(m): 5:43pm On Jun 25, 2010
tpiah:

well, you may have more experience with four star nigerian hotels than me, but i doubt a hotel is overpriced if it delivers top notch service.

i agree customer service in nigeria leaves much to be desired, but anyone who knows a way to improve the situation, should share his/her ideals with us. I'm all ears.

$260 per night isnt too much if you can afford it, imo. Pricey, yes, i agree. The service just has to be classy.
Ive only slept in tht Ikoyi place once
apart from the small bed, i found the whole place crampy

Small TV and the food was boring (breakfast)

I still refer Protea (Kuramo Lodge) to Softel tho

meanwhile, these hotels aint 4 star o

most of these hotels no go pass 2 or 3 star grin grin

im not sure EKO Hotel is 5 star sef
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by tpiah: 5:46pm On Jun 25, 2010
tkb417:

hehehehe
ogini ?

dem dey mad

which one is better sef
Novotel abi sofitel?

i know the Novotel in Cotoow was ok and of course was better than Sofitel Ikoyi

when ma papa no be abacha  grin grin

novotel cotonou:

$134-$151 per night, single room.

3 star hotel.

http://www.novotel.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml
Re: Are Nigerian Hotels And Guest Houses Over-priced? by yinka85: 5:46pm On Jun 25, 2010
tkb417:

hehehehe
ogini ?

dem dey mad

which one is better sef
Novotel abi sofitel?

i know the Novotel in Cotoow was ok and of course was better than Sofitel Ikoyi

when ma papa no be abacha  grin grin

http://www.sofitel.com/es/booking/hotels-list.shtml

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Applying For Nigerian Passport Reissue In Us / Kaduna Boat Accident: Five Students Feared Dead / What Are The Requirements For A Foreigner Visiting Nigeria To Marry Her Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.