Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? (33380 Views)

10 Important Things You Should Know About A Platonic Relationship / 7 Nigerian Women On Platonic Friendships With Men / What Is The Extent Of Financial Help You Can Offer A Platonic Friend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by hotwax: 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2018
megareal:

Don't mind those quoting you. They are yet to understand that relationships are unique. I had only male friends before marriage. Hubby, then fiance use to come meet us where we were and give the guys drinks. They were there at my wedding and child dedication. We still talk but hardly meet. Infact I am still the refree in most of their relationship ish as it was before I married.

Hubby maintained his female friends too and as each of them married off, we will go to their weddings etc.

The problem I see with a lot of folks commenting is that sex to them is too cheap hence they think everyone indulges in it casually.

The sooner folks learn to control their libido the better trust will be established between both parties.

This has negate all your argument. Meaning you maintain your distance. Some married women going on a date with besties is what we are discussing here...

Your husband is your male bestie. Yeah keep your existing friends..but you got to put boundaries...
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by ImaIma1(f): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2018
megareal:

Don't mind those quoting you. They are yet to understand that relationships are unique. I had only male friends before marriage. Hubby, then fiance use to come meet us where we were and give the guys drinks. They were there at my wedding and child dedication. We still talk but hardly meet. Infact I am still the refree in most of their relationship ish as it was before I married.

Hubby maintained his female friends too and as each of them married off, we will go to their weddings etc.

The problem I see with a lot of folks commenting is that sex to them is too cheap hence they think everyone indulges in it casually.

The sooner folks learn to control their libido the better trust will be established between both parties.

Exactly! Sex is cheap to them and they can just indulge in it without much thought.

My husband was having this same discussion on a group yesterday and had to ask me if i have ever thought he has anything to do with his female friends.

For one of them, he even helped drive her and her hubby outside lag for their wedding and they still keep in touch. She also came for hers. Infact i tease her to feed him when he visits them. I call her my boo's boo cheesy

It is about understanding and creating boundaries. As long as there is trust, it's fine. If my hubby were to be the womanizing type, i would raise an eyebrow. We dont hold each other back from our friends as long as we draw the line.
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by hotwax: 2:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
ImaIma1:

Exactly! Sex is cheap to them and they can just indulge in it without much thought.

My husband was having this same discussion on a group yesterday and had to ask me if i have ever thought he has anything to do with his female friends.

For one of them, he even helped drive her and her hubby outside lag for their wedding and they still keep in touch. She also came for hers. Infact i tease her to feed him when he visits them. I call her my boo's boo cheesy

It is about understanding and creating boundaries. As long as there is trust, it's fine. If my hubby were to be the womanizing type, i would raise an eyebrow. We dont hold each other back from our friends as long as we draw the line.

Yes space, boundries
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by megareal: 2:53pm On Aug 20, 2018
hotwax:

This has negate all your argument. Meaning you maintain your distance. Some married women going on a date with besties is what we are discussing here...

Your husband is your male bestie. Yeah keep your existing friends..but you got to put boundaries...
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by megareal: 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2018
hotwax:

We hardly meet because we are too busy not because we are running from ourselves.
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by hotwax: 3:07pm On Aug 20, 2018
megareal:

We hardly meet because we are too busy. Not because we are running from ourselves. We celebrate birthdays and other anniver Ive met How do you think I settle their marital and relation

So you can go out on dinner with them?

Go clubbing with them?

I have even heard a married woman saying "I just went on a date with him...Jezzz...its just a date" Lolz.
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by megareal: 3:27pm On Aug 20, 2018
hotwax:

So you can go out on dinner with them?

Go clubbing with them?

I have even heard a married woman saying "I just went on a date with him...Jezzz...its just a date" Lolz.

Leave that post. My phone was acting up, couldn't type properly and didn't even know the ish submitted. Will delete it now.

Now to your question, I hardly went on dates even when I was single. Your use of that word in this context is wrong because dates are for people who want to be in a relationship. Probably you would use outing.

I meet my friends when they need my help or my input on things. And can never stay away from any events concerning them. I don't know about married women who still club with guys other than their husbands. But that is wrong and is inviting trouble except the husband is included in the outing.

My point of view judging from most of the comments here is that no body should do away with good friends because they are married. If your friends are good, you don't even need to set boundaries as they will respect your marriage. Obviously, you can't hangout out like you used to do or discuss you partner anymore with them, but you shouldn't form unavailable and cut links because of marriage.

I would argue more but I don't have the time biko.
Re: Is It Proper For A Married Woman To Have A Platonic Male Friend? by hotwax: 4:13pm On Aug 20, 2018
megareal:

Leave that post. My phone was acting up, couldn't type properly and didn't even know the ish submitted. Will delete it now.

Now to your question, I hardly went on dates even when I was single. Your use of that word in this context is wrong because dates are for people who want to be in a relationship. Probably you would use outing.

I meet my friends when they need my help or my input on things. And can never stay away from any events concerning them. I don't know about married women who still club with guys other than their husbands. But that is wrong and is inviting trouble except the husband is included in the outing.

My point of view judging from most of the comments here is that no body should do away with good friends because they are married. If your friends are good, you don't even need to set boundaries as they will respect your marriage. Obviously, you can't hangout out like you used to do or discuss you partner anymore with them, but you shouldn't form unavailable and cut links because of marriage.

I would argue more but I don't have the time biko.

@ the bold line...Na one MARRIED woman talk am.

A married woman going out on a just a date. And she was arguing her case out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Slams Men For Not Wishing Nigerian Olosho Association ‘Happy Christmas’ / 10 Ways To Identify A Typical Nigerian Runs Girl / 9 Categories Of Ladies That Use Pregnancy To Trap Men Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.