Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,994 members, 7,814,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians (8353 Views)

Letter To Ghanaians After Nigeria Beat Them 6:1. / Nigerians & Ghanaians Fight On Twitter After Olympics Basketball Loss / Football: Between Nigerians And Ghanaians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by leboss6(m): 10:41pm On Jun 27, 2010
Siena:

That's the trouble with you - your thread's very inconsistent. First it was about Nigerians sharing the victory with Ghana, congratulating them on their win, then it's now about Nigerians claiming to be Ghanian.

Stick to at least one issue, then at least your thread will make more sense than it currently does. As for those denouncing their country, that's their business, as long as it doesn't affect you, why should you care?
Big bro its still boils down to the same thing my, what spurred me to post my first post was that immediately after the match almost everybody on my facebook profile started saying very unpatriotic things like the ones i listed in my earlier comment to your post and it got me wondering why nigerians will be so two timing,
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by damilola15: 11:00pm On Jun 27, 2010
One of the reasons I often don't support Ghana is this o. Whenever they win the Ghanaian friends I have would start this larger than life attitude.
MTCHEEEEEEEEW
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Freiburger(m): 11:20pm On Jun 27, 2010
Wondering why silly topics like this always makes headlines @ moderator this is not a controversial topic, its a silly one and it ought not to have make a headline.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by kobikwelu(m): 11:20pm On Jun 27, 2010
ghanians hate anything nigerian

its a case of the younger brother trying to oppose evrything his elderbrother is doing , so as to gain recognition
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by EzeUche(m): 11:21pm On Jun 27, 2010
^^^^^^Gbam
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by landtraza(m): 11:37pm On Jun 27, 2010
slyfoxxjoe:

the word patriotism means loyalty and commitment to ones COUNTRY currect me if im wrong but there is no word in the dictionary for showing commitment to ones CONTINENT!! all u guys yarning "we are africans" obviousle have never encountered ghanians first hand. they would NEVER celebrate a nigerian win(they are more likely to display jelousy considering the complex they have for us) and are probably laughing their heads off seeing us trying to "attatch" to them bcuz they progressed in the world cup and we did not. you are not obliged to support a team just becuz your country is situated on the same continent with them how much of an behind kisser can u be? do u think brazilians celebrate argentinas wins or england celebrates for scotland? this whole "we are africans thing" just shows how inferior we fricans feel toward the western world to the extent that we consider one counrtys progress as a victory for the ENTIRE continent! its disgusting. we are better than that. u are nigerian and owe NOTHING to ghana. congratulate them in the spirit of sportmanship but let it stop there!
total rubbish, are you talking of the same ghana that hosted our dream team after winning a gold medal on football at atalanta 1996. grow up please. angry so you would have bean happy if no AFRICAN TEAMS made it to the next level. i bow for you ooooooooooooooo angry.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by tayoast(m): 11:55pm On Jun 27, 2010
cool
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by yoji: 12:43am On Jun 28, 2010
i kinda agree with d poster on this one. I'm not ghanian full stop and if they win d cup, there'l be no pit stop in abuja, in fact we might as well pack out of west africa for them. and pls dont play the race card cos other countries like us, france, honduras, germany, brazil, chile, swiss, all have players with african origin so y not support them. argentina will neva support brazil in a game against european opposition. i think its inferiority admission to say one country represents d whole continent esp when we cant stand each other. its also a desperate attempt at relevance. its okay to congratulate them but its thier victory not mine
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Nobody: 1:42am On Jun 28, 2010
yoji:

i kinda agree with d poster on this one. I'm not ghanian full stop and if they win d cup, there'l be no pit stop in abuja, in fact we might as well pack out of west africa for them. and pls dont play the race card cos other countries like us, france, honduras, germany, brazil, chile, swiss, all have players with african origin so y not support them. argentina will neva support brazil in a game against european opposition. [b][b]i think its inferiority admission to say one country represents d whole continent[/b][/b] esp when we cant stand each other. its also a desperate attempt at relevance. its okay to congratulate them but its thier victory not mine

my brother God be with u! thats exactly what im trying to point out that some fools like landtraza wont understand. how can u say one countrys progress is a victory for an entire continent?? say it to urself and see how narrow minded it makes u sound. africa is the second largest continent on earth and has more countries in it than any other continent with 53 independent states within its boundries. if anything we should be ashamed that only one team could make it through narrowly defeating a US nation that is not to keen on soccer anyway! we percieve ourselves as inferior to the other continents thats why we believe we have to all get behind one country becuz they are playing european or american opposition. to be honest with u,i actually supported the US in that match becuz im a fan of many of their players and enjoy the way they play. the fact that they where playing against a team from my continent (which i dont really like) was not going to change that. p.s post some proof that ghana hosted our dream team after the olympics becuz i seriously doubt the credibility of that story cool
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Rastamann: 2:10am On Jun 28, 2010
If Ghana is getting it right and Nigeria refuses to learn and/or change, then that is their cup of tea. Ghana's team is made of young and dedicated players while Nigerian team is made up of old, uncommitted and undeidicated players. Ghana is Africa and at this stage they are not only representing Ghana, they also represent Africa, Nigeria inclusive, so I give them my 100% support.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by adconline(m): 5:14am On Jun 28, 2010
my brother nothing wrong in rejoicing with neighbors o, but dont foget we were in that tournament so what happened to us? what if we were to play Ghana say in the quarters where will your loyalty lie, i carry a  green Nigerian passport not a black Ghanian's passport.
keep deceiving yourself, a green Naija passport would land  you into multiple interrogation posts when traveling overseas, while a Ghanian passport would be hitch-free.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by afiamanu(f): 5:28am On Jun 28, 2010
All this is really unnecessary. The reason we are saying that Ghana is representing Africa is because all the African countries were eliminated in the group stage on African soil. It's a world record that the team hosting the World Cup gets eliminated first round yet it managed to happen in Africa. I feel that this useless hate is just because Ghana is the country advancing to the next round. If it were Ivory coast I don't think this thread would even exist.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by onstelly(f): 5:56am On Jun 28, 2010
Some pple really get issues @poster did u watch Nig vs korea match if u did then i bet u are blind, cos ghanain fan were there n they support Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Tut(m): 6:15am On Jun 28, 2010
To the people who keep on saying, Ghanaian hate Nigerians, stop generalizing, it makes you sound very, and i hate using this word, uneducated. I am not denying that some Ghanaian hate Nigerians, but the key word here is SOME!, not all. take me for example, I am Ghanaian yet i do not hate Nigerians.
Now that we have that out of the way, you have to realize that what some of you view as hate is merely, friendly banter, another example of this well be this Nigerian kid i went to H.S with, we talked a lot of rubbish to each other, i cant recount how many times he said to me "Ghana must go" but at the end of the day he and i were still best of friends.

To the maker of this thread, the world will always view Saharan Africa as one big entity, and frankly i think it is about time we started viewing ourself as one big entity. We will not progress if we keep on fighting among ourself. What you posted, no matter your intentions will and has started a divide among us africans. There is nothing wrong with celebrating your fellow countries victory. Do you think the Caribbean islands did not rejoice when bolt broke records after records? just some food for thought.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by shilling(f): 6:19am On Jun 28, 2010
Tut:

To the people who keep on saying, Ghanaian hate Nigerians, stop generalizing, it makes you sound very, and i hate using this word, uneducated. I am not denying that some Ghanaian hate Nigerians, but the key word here is SOME!, not all. take me for example, I am Ghanaian yet i do not hate Nigerians.
Now that we have that out of the way, you have to realize that what some of you view as hate is merely, friendly banter, another example of this well be this Nigerian kid i went to H.S with, we talked a lot of rubbish to each other, i cant recount how many times he said to me "Ghana must go" but at the end of the day he and i were still best of friends.

To the maker of this thread, the world will always view Saharan Africa as one big entity, and frankly i think it is about time we started viewing ourself as one big entity. We will not progress if we keep on fighting among ourself. What you posted, no matter your intentions will and has started a divide among us africans. There is nothing wrong with celebrating your fellow countries victory. Do you think the Caribbean islands did not rejoice when bolt broke records after records? just some food for thought. 

That is so true.

This side of the world, Africa is a country not a continent - Sub Saharan Africa to be precise.

I don't hate Ghanaians, I'm actually friends with more Ghanaians than Nigerians in school.

About the world cup, my Ghanaian friends wanted Nigeria to do well. I also wanted Ghana to do well, although I didn't care if they defeated the USA or not. I also don't care if they win the world cup or not.

I was there to support Nigeria, and Spain - not entirely for soccer reasons **wink**. 

Anyways, I love Naija and I have nothing against Ghanaians.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Acidosis(m): 6:24am On Jun 28, 2010
onstelly:

Some pple really get issues @poster did u watch Nig vs korea match if u did then i bet u are blind, cos ghanain fan were there n they support Nigeria
@Poster, this is for you, to retract your hasty statements and to 'renovate' the altered IQ of yours.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Zucker(m): 6:32am On Jun 28, 2010
leboss6:

To all those celebrating Ghana's victory you all should cover your faces with shame, what our country of 150 million could not do a tiny country of just bout 20 million has done, Ain't nothing like United states of Africa, we have NIGERIANS and GHANANIANS, the victory's belongs to Ghanaians only they worked for it and they deserve it we should stop clinching , Chikena
I don't see the relationship. It seems the only issue here is that what YOU could not do, many Nigerians have been able and continue to do. More grease to their collective elbow!

leboss6:

i do not have anything against Ghana, and it might interest you guys to know that i live in Accra and i know that Ghanians will never celebrate a Nigerian win, i never said i hated them or that i am jealous of there progress of course am not, it is good to rejoice with others when they succeed ,but that is where it should stop, when people now decide to renounce there nationality just because our team flopped and Ghana's triumphed then i have a problem with that, Where lies the rivalry, an Argentine will never celebrate a Brazilian win ,neither will the English celebrate a German win, in football there is nothing like dual nationality, i am happy for them but there is no way am celebrating there victory, i rest my case.PROUDLY NAIJA
Really? Na lie! I think you take NL forumers for clueless cretins! Your overt prejudice towards Ghanaians is baseless and uncalled for. Unless you want to say that you actually know for a fact that all Ghanaians hate Nigerians. I always thought such blatant ignorance was a reserve of a few uneducated folks in both our beloved countries, but to actually hear it from someone with your educational background makes me sad indeed.

leboss6:

I live in Ghana bro so i have first hand knowledge of what i am talking about,check out what they did to Mike Adenuga and Globacom telecommunications, so unfair, i once had a nasty experience when i wanted to get an apartment went to bout 4 places and the landlords refused to rent out to[b] for just one reason, cos am Nigerian.[/b]
Dude!

leboss6:
My brother when a young lad with high hopes and aspirations finishes secondary school at 18 years of age and gets into the university immediately to study a four year course but ends up spending about 6 years and wants to go futher with his studies will you advice him to still school in Naija, i tell you Ghana was the last place i wanted to come to but when Oyinbo deny me Visa for no just reason except that i applied during the height of the Muttallab attempted bombing i come look say make i come my fellow AFRICAN  nation where standard of education is better, but you wont belive i suffer rasist abuses from my supposed fellow black man, Mike Adenuga sef hear am for here he had to close shop and vamose, bros all man for himself o Ghana people no send us at all, thats why every country as its own passport.cheers
Why? I wonder if the degree you're studying for is even worth it. You'll probably dump it in the nearest garbage bin before you have to flash it at a job interview, right? From all your spelling mistakes, it may be wise to hold on tightly to any degree you manage to receive from any school.

leboss6:

It seems you did not read the thread before posting your comment, i have said it countless times that there is nothing wrong in congratulating a "rival" and wishing them well,thats what the spirit of sportmanship is all about, but when nigerians denounce there country and say things like they have changed there names to koffi,mensah,essien,muntari and co or that they wish they are ghanians and not nigerians then you will see that as a nation we are our own worst enemies, bitterness and hate?for the Ghanians? i live in ghana pal and watched the match with Ghanians and after the match i congratulated them for a well deserved victory, but Naija is my motherland and am proud to be truly naija,
It's clear from your posts that you are gullible, have a complex, an alarmist, and about as sophisticated as a bowl of gari.

If you had proper education, you'd realize we are all one people, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroun, etc. Funny enough, it's the perpetrators of the division you so blindly cling to that are rightly acknowledging their mistakes and recognizing us for the homogenous entity we are. Many of us (non-Nigerians) trace our ancestral roots to Nigeria. My ethnic group traces its roots to Ille Ife, in Yoruba land. So next time you want to go ultra-nationalistic on a public forum at least resist the temptation to generalize so hastily, but if you must, then desist from throwing away the baby with the dirty water. Your lies make me sick to the stomach because the vast majority of Ghanaians support Nigerian teams on the world stage. We cheered for you in the U17, Olympics, and the World Cup. Yes, there are times when individual prejudices surface, but these are far from the collective. The same can be said of any country, including Nigeria. Just read over this thread and you'll see many examples of what I'm talking about. My 2 cents.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by chelseabmw(m): 6:39am On Jun 28, 2010
smiley
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by chocoLove(f): 8:44am On Jun 28, 2010
GO GHANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  cheesy grin

sorry i had to say it,
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Ranoscky(m): 9:09am On Jun 28, 2010
@Akwa

i decided to give a break to know how many people will challenge my post, but to find out it's just 1 person, and that person is U. i tried to figure out why u had to challenge it, only to find out that u'r ghanian. why won't u spit out all the disgusting rubbish in ur mouth when u'r ghanian? defending the image of ur country b'cos some1 is saying the truth about some of ur country people. Back in 2005, i have a friend that was deported from spain back to nigeria. he had a ghanian friend that had a barbing saloon and that's where both of them live. the ghanian guy is the 1 he gives all earned money to keep for him b'cos he can't go out with all his money with him. but when he was deported, do u know we called this ghanian guy and even begged down heaven for him to send my friends money but the ghanian guy refused. the worst thing is, anytime we call him, he always pick up but even if we talk and beg him from morning till nite all he just keep doing is laughing on the phone. the money is not a small money 40,000euros. till date we'v heard nothing from him. till 2morow that matter is stil fresh in my memory and U and i know's that such peeps do exist everywhere, even in naija but u don't have too get angry b'cos the topic is about ghanians. can't u see the way we insult our leaders in NL? are they not nigerians?
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by barman2: 9:13am On Jun 28, 2010
Whn d "big brother" fails to pacify & lead by example,d young has to overtake and show him d light.
9jarians,we shld put our house in order.I still continue to say it over & over,may d kingdom of MERITOCRACY come in 9ja.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by dyabman(m): 9:19am On Jun 28, 2010
Ghana must come not go!
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by sayso: 9:22am On Jun 28, 2010
people Ghana no go add 9ja name for that Trophy if and only if,
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by joanana(f): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2010
@ poster look this is a big beef. Did u hear what d commentator said in Ghana US match. That its a celeberation not only for Ghana but for Africa. It toook Africa 80 years to host the world cup n now one african country is doing us proud n u angry. Dude!!!!!!!!! I m with any african country naija, ghana, ivory coast, algeria. Thank God Ghana is in the next n i pray they win the World Cup. Gooooooooooooooooo  Ghana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will support them any day any time its a pity super chickens didnt make it.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by chocoLove(f): 9:25am On Jun 28, 2010
joanana:

@ poster look this is a big beef. Did u hear what d commentator said in Ghana US match. That its a celeberation not only for Ghana but for Africa. It toook Africa 80 years to host the world cup n now one african country is doing us proud n u angry. Dude!!!!!!!!! I m with any african country naija, ghana, ivory coast, algeria. Thank God Ghana is in the next n i pray they win the World Cup. Gooooooooooooooooo  Ghana !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will support them any day any time its a pity super chickens didnt make it.

Joanana girl ,   keep on preaching  wink
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by jokingmary(m): 9:37am On Jun 28, 2010
@ poster
What do you expect angry

Since the super vultures decided to disgrace us sad
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by GhanaGal: 9:45am On Jun 28, 2010
so y'all got a prob wit us, but yet u settle in our country. we got luv 4 y'all , n jus to support as in diz worldcup is anoda prob?, come on y'all, stop being so ignorant.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Ranoscky(m): 9:52am On Jun 28, 2010
^^^To ba de le, ko pe iya'e ni ignorant. Oloshi sad
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by GhanaGal: 9:55am On Jun 28, 2010
i thought so, i was gonna get some insults, not surprisin at all
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Mpele(m): 10:06am On Jun 28, 2010
Most of us are behind Ghana all the way. This is not about the United States of Africa, as it is just a stupid idea, but South Africa have always had a soft sport for Ghana, that is why even Abedi Pele was our bid ambassoder. As for the Nigerians I would understand, they're just jeoulous of the success of Ghana. Nigeria claims to be the giant of Africa in everything. Here is something to think about.
Ghana is the first country to gain independence and will be the first in Africa to reach the semifinals if not the Finals, (get that into your thick skulls)
South Africa being the first country in Africa to host the world cup have clearly given Ghana the support it needs to go all the way. South Africans are supporting Ghana like their own.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Iyineda(m): 10:27am On Jun 28, 2010
Tut:

Thank you for this insightful comment, Tut. I whole-heartedly agree with you. People tend to generalize, including myself. . . Just last week I wanted Ghana to crash out of the competition because I was angry with some Ghanaweb posters and their hate comments about Nigeria and cheekiness about Ghana being "The Hope of Africa". Sadly, this led me to put the whole of Ghana in that same bag. I was just being childish, I know that. And the irony is that it turns out that they were partly right - about Ghana's chances.

I will be supporting Ghana not just because it is an 'African team' but because I truly admire their natural flair and tactical discipline on the pitch. Milovan Rajevac has gracefully discarded the stereotypical depiction of undisciplined African teams. The Black Stars don't have household names and play like a unit, a very efficient one. Props to them. In all honesty, even though I wanted Nigeria to be the first African team to reach the semi finals, I will not be the least unhappy if this Ghanaian team made it before us.

Peace.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by LekeB(m): 10:46am On Jun 28, 2010
bros i lived in Kumasi too and i watched the Argentine match with Nigeria in Kumasi, they reall supported us and they wish we won that match, and they also abused some of our player that messed up our chances of equalized with Argentina so what exactly are you talking about? cos' i cannt get it, we all love England Premiere league how many of us love watching Eyinba or knao Pillars played anywhere and yet you talk about patriotism, we all know where our patrotics lies not in footbll i can tell you.

W[b]hat we Nigerian likes in football is good and excellent play of the game nothing more, if you play well Nigerians are ready to support you and you messed up we are ready to woo you period. [/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Named World Player Of The Year Yet Again / Soccer Stars Project Confirms 22 Players From Akwa Ibom, Set For Abuja Screening / Chelsea VS Barcelona At 12:30 Today (Women's Champions League Semi-Final).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.