Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,159 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians (8351 Views)

Letter To Ghanaians After Nigeria Beat Them 6:1. / Nigerians & Ghanaians Fight On Twitter After Olympics Basketball Loss / Football: Between Nigerians And Ghanaians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by beewhyfocs(m): 10:52am On Jun 28, 2010
@ Op, why are u so disturbed? The Nigerians you see today claiming Ghanians will soon back out. We only celebrate a winning team.

Whatever happened to the eagles after they played with Argentina.

King today, crucify him tommorrow!
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by doubella: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2010
[b]Am a full born NIGERIAN any day anytime, at poster u seem so confused and jealous of the Ghanians, after the Super Eagles crahed out of the tournament who do u expect us to support? the Germans, Chilians or the brazilians(hmmnn).  if u can remember when the hosting bid for the World Cup was won by South Africa every african country went gaga with joy and there was jubilations all round why, becos africa is hosting for the first time and we were all proud. By ur words it is wrong then for us to even be jubilating so much when south Africa won the  bid abi!

Football is a game that comes with its own passion, u can see some Americans(White) even screaming and supporting the Ghaninans. u need to see me when the equlising goal was scored by Gyan oh boy! i felt like seeing ma self in the stadium and sreaming my lungs out for joy. Thats the passion am talking about cos they were playing sweet FOOTBALL. i support the ghanianians all the away, if our own super eagles can not give me wat i want then what do u expect. Black Stars bring it on and lets go there.

South Africa TINAKO!!!!!!     [/b]
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by beewhyfocs(m): 11:43am On Jun 28, 2010
Why shouldnt I support a winning and dedicated african team?
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Cogito(m): 11:45am On Jun 28, 2010
The crux of the issue here, for me at least, is the whole "we are one" idea. It would be all well and good if the camaraderie had shown itself outside of football but maybe this tournament is exactly the wake up call we need.

We can shout "we are the same" as much as we want but we are still divided.
Tut:

To the maker of this thread, the world will always view Saharan Africa as one big entity, and frankly i think it is about time we started viewing ourself as one big entity.

As nice as that sounds we are not one big entity nor do I think we should see ourselves as such. If I agreed with you, we should then I ask, why should it stop there? As a citizen of the world I'm supporting Germany, shebi we were ALL Africans at one point? And the world was one big entity at a time.

Can't you see you've already created the division? Why can't Saharan and sub-Saharan Africa be one big entity? After all a number of people believe the Ancient Egyptians were black.

We can coexist peacefully and respect each other traditions, cultures, political make-up and the like but we are not one big entity.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Cogito(m): 11:46am On Jun 28, 2010
Sorry, double post.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by manmustwac(m): 11:47am On Jun 28, 2010
We are all Africans and we are celebrating the success of the only remaining African country to make it to the quarter final of the world cup.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by farochron(m): 11:56am On Jun 28, 2010
I will rejoice with Ghana for the following reasons:

1. They have not introduced politics into their FA
2. Ethnicity has got no room in their FA
3. The country it self is healthy, constant light, cleaner environment and a better means of livelihood despite the absence of oil

Poster Ghana is getting it right in all areas. And it's simply affecting their football
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Tweety121(f): 12:00pm On Jun 28, 2010
Ghana are the ambassadors for Africa in this world cup, so as an African, it's only right that we get behind our brothers. We don't need to cut our noses to spite our face here, it's counterproductive.

As someone else said, the world sees Sub-Saharan Africa as one anyway, and in the interests of unity, bortherhood, fair play and common sense, I support Ghana because they are representing Africa to the world whether we like it or not. Because of them our continent is not ashamed.

So what if they won't return the favour if it was Super Eagles in their position? Two wrongs don't make a right. We show we're bigger by putting away childish competitiveness and jealousies and cheering a better team.

Me too I've abused my Ghanaians friends in friendly rivalry, but to tell you the truth, I'm jealous of their favourable reputation to the rest of the world (see how African-Americans rush to claim Ghana as their motherland, Obama chose to come to Ghana, their political system is miles better than ours, Ghanaians are widely regarded as friendlier and less loud and undisciplined compared to Nigerians, Ghana as a tourist destination is established compared to ours, and see how their football club is teaching the rest lessons. You can also carry Ghanaian passport without been strip searched at airports). It's sad to say, but it's true.

Yet one thing about Nigerians is we retain our patriotism no matter what. So I'm Nigerian and proud, but since in football (as in many things) Nigeria has just embarrassed me, I'm jumping on the Ghanaian bandwagon to celebrate an African country that has its s*** together.

Also, if Ghana had beaten say, Slovenia in the last match I might not have been so ecstatic, but to beat those arrogant Yanks was just the icing on the cake, a symbolic victory for the 'poorest continent' against the richest.

So stop all this pettiness abeg, we must look like fools arguing about the wisdom of celebrating a fellow African team. Brazil doesn't celebrate Argentina and vice versa because theirs is a full-grown rivalry between equals. But when Nigeria isn't even on the same page as Ghana football-wise, we can only admit inferiority (in this area) and clap for the better team.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by GuapBanga: 12:06pm On Jun 28, 2010
Its obvious from most of the comments here that many of the Nigerians in Nairaland have never visited or lived in Ghana. I admire the poster. I live in Kaneshie here in Ghana and when Nigeria played against both Greece and Argentina you could hear the Ghanaians scream at the top of their voices when ever Nigeria was scored. Ghanaians don't like us at ALL!!!! I have lived in England and the xenophobia, and racism I experience here on a daily basis is worse than anything I have ever seen. I can't wait to finish Uni next year, pack my bags and just live. I can never be Jealous of ANY GHANAIAN.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Cogito(m): 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2010
Tweety121:

, a symbolic victory for the 'poorest continent' against the richest.

'Poorest continent' against the richest country.

Do you seriously not see what's wrong with that?
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Tweety121(f): 12:13pm On Jun 28, 2010
Cogito:

'Poorest continent' against the richest country.

Do you seriously not see what's wrong with that?

No. Just to reiterate: Ghana represents THE WHOLE OF AFRICA to the rest of the world. USA is a continent, hence poorest vs richest,
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Iyineda(m): 12:17pm On Jun 28, 2010
^ I'm not here to argue about something so futile but just so you know, the USA is a country of over 300 million people, not a continent. The USA is part of North America - a continent which includes Canada and Mexico.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Cogito(m): 12:19pm On Jun 28, 2010
Iyineda:

^ I'm not here to argue about something so futile but just so you know, the USA is a country of over 300 million people, not a continent. The USA is part of North America - the continent.
Thank you abeg.

How can one country represent all 1 billion of us on a continent?
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Tweety121(f): 12:23pm On Jun 28, 2010
Iyineda:

^ I'm not here to argue about something so futile but just so you know, the USA is a country of over 300 million people, not a continent. The USA is part of North America - a continent which includes Canada and Mexico.

OK, point taken. Both still represented a symbolic victory for the poorest continent against the richest though

But back to the topic
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by beeman80: 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2010
If your boiz did mess up we wont be celebrating another country's victory and besides We are all in West Africa.I see nothing wrong in celebrating a fellow black country's victory.Lets be happy 4 them.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by kazman7(m): 12:59pm On Jun 28, 2010
Guap Banga:

Its obvious from most of the comments here that many of the Nigerians in Nairaland have never visited or lived in Ghana. I admire the poster. I live in Kaneshie here in Ghana and when Nigeria played against both Greece and Argentina you could hear the Ghanaians scream at the top of their voices when ever Nigeria was scored. Ghanaians don't like us at ALL!!!! I have lived in England and the xenophobia, and racism I experience here on a daily basis is worse than anything I have ever seen. I can't wait to finish Uni next year, pack my bags and just live. I can never be Jealous of ANY GHANAIAN.

i feel you my brother, i was in accra for just a week last year and i do visit their forums from time to time,the hatred some of them exhibit especially on the forum is really very bad,but what can an elder brother do to stubborn sibling? you just have to love them for who they are,since you alone cannot change their attitudes towards you.go blackstars!
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by farochron(m): 1:31pm On Jun 28, 2010
Banga,

Sorry about that. To me I feel Nigeria started it all when we asked these people to start going back to their country when it was not so rosy for them. Nigeria even went further by naming a cellophane bag. "Ghana must go" That to me was the height of it".

I think we really need to put an end to that acronym. What do you really think comes to the mind of Ghanaians when they hear it
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by bigfoot79(m): 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2010
If only you know what Ghanians and their govt do to Nigerians in their country, ein? Especially against the ibo businessmen
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Zucker(m): 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2010
farochron:

Banga,

Sorry about that. To me I feel Nigeria started it all when we asked these people to start going back to their country when it was not so rosy for them. Nigeria even went further by naming a cellophane bag. "Ghana must go" That to me was the height of it".

I think we really need to put an end to that acronym. What do you really think comes to the mind of Ghanaians when they hear it
Actually (if we are to lay all the blame on forced repatriations), then Ghana started it. Ghana was the first to forcibly repatriate Nigerians and other non-citizens. A shameful period in our collective histories, if you ask me.

Here's a quote from the article linked below:
In the 1960s Nigerians loved Ghana more than they loved their own country. There was a massive exodus of Nigerians to Ghana for some of the gold on the streets of what was then known as the Gold Coast. Sooner than later the Ghanaians couldn't take it anymore. The backlash might not have been as grim as what the world witnessed in recent weeks in Johannesburg, but the locals hit the migrants where it hurt badly -- their pockets. The Nigerians were expelled in their hundreds and many families were forced to flee with only the clothes on their backs

The tables turned in the early 1980s when Ghana fell on hard times. An estimated one million Ghanaians flooded Nigeria (they were coming in at the rate of 300 a day), taking over jobs from shoeshining to teaching. It was only a matter of time before resentment turned into hostility and hostility into xenophobia. Public opinion forced the Shehu Shagari government to expel the Ghanaians under such hostile circumstances that many of them who were lucky to take anything at all with them did so in ragtag cellophane bags, now derisively known in Nigeria as "Ghana-must-go".

http://www.afrika.no/Detailed/16762.html
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by damilola15: 2:07pm On Jun 28, 2010
bigfoot79:

If only you know what Ghanians and their govt do to Nigerians in their country, ein? Especially against the ibo businessmen
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Not only the govt. Most of the populace do the same.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by SirKay3(m): 2:36pm On Jun 28, 2010
As Nigerians, celebrating Ghana's victories at the Mundial doesn't make us Ghanaians, but that we are appreciating a good thing and celebrating with our brothers.

I'm a Nigerian living in Accra with my wife/children and I have first hand information about this issue. The day Nigeria played Argentina, Joy FM 99.7 dedicated 1hr to discuss/analyse the game before and after, same with other days we played. Ghanaians are passionate about things that have to do with Nigeria. Though the xenophobia thing is there, not all Ghanaians hate Nigerians, only few does and that has to do with the bad things some of our guys are doing in Ghana.

I was outside my home at Lashibi, was actually coming back from my children's school at Community 7 in Tema, the time Nigeria was playing Argentina and saw not only one, but more that 10 viewing centres, where people gathered in numbers to watch it. Instead of driving home, I joined one at Sakumono to feel what it is like there(my car has Nigeria plate number), to know what their reactions would be like. They were not happy we lost the game to the Argies and never celebrated our loss(including those I saw interviewed on TV and heard on the radio).

I celebrated with my Ghanaian neighbours/church members at my estate in Community 19, Lashibi and still celebrating with them, cos I dont see anything wrong in doing that. My wife, our kids and I all have Ghana jerseys and sourvenirs, just as we have that of Naija and our darling club, Arsenal.

On the issue of Ghanaians deportation between 1983 and 1985 from Nigeria, it has to do with what I think is retaliation. Though I was very very small in 1969, it was Ghana goverment that first drove out Nigerians from Ghana then, most especially Yorubas(Chief Alata of Ogbomosho was among those born and bred in Ghana then).
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Ranoscky(m): 3:07pm On Jun 28, 2010
^^^firstly make i hail u as my fellow Arsenal brother. but on the other side when u said "The day Nigeria played Argentina, Joy FM 99.7 dedicated 1hr to discuss/analyse the game before and after, same with other days we played." Even in china, on the 1st day of the W.C, they designed their studio in african background with afracan flags all over, even to my greatest surprise, they danced an african cultural dance and they were all dressed in an african style and were druming this african drum. infact they were really happy about the W.C being played in africa. and they even did the remix of k'naan song (waving flag) with chinese language. it's fun really! i enjoyed it.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Aishabee(f): 3:36pm On Jun 28, 2010
Pls i wud appreciate anyone informing me as soon as Ghana is adopting (Duno which Eng to use oh) Nigerians, i will readily make myself avail,
When i was growing up we had Ghanaian Neighbours who were wondaful

Recently i took a week vac to Ghana all my accommodation,trip arrangement was done by a Ghanaian ( note that she doesn't work for any holiday company and there was no monetary compensation), this was based on referral by several friends she had done that for, even while there she would call every minute to make sure i was OK, all the Ghanaians i ve met have been nice so far if they are hating then i think Nigerians should check themselves,

Nigeria as a country has failed me in every aspect of life, politically,economically even sport i cant be proud of my country i have long changed my name and even family &friends have gotten use to the name before now kiss
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Lanko0071: 3:52pm On Jun 28, 2010
3 units of 2008 corolla for sale, just 15k miles (N2.5m). Very clean, just came in from US. Also, 2004 nissan morano (N2.85, Acura TL (1.5m), and Benz E class (1.7m). Interested? call or text to 08023679519 or mail lanko2004@hotmail.com. So sorry for breaking your topic
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by bigo55: 3:54pm On Jun 28, 2010
i am ghanaian and like the poster said i hate the nigerian team. everytime nigeria play against african teams i want them to loose. there is nothing wrong with me hatin the nigerian team after they are ghanas biggest rival. the first time i found myself supporting nigeria is in the olympics when they made it to the finals, i was so shock that i was supporting nigerian team that i went to take my temperature but i wasn't sick. the same reason why i supported nigeria is the same reason why many nigerians and africans are supporting ghana because ghana is not representin ghana alone but africa jast as nigeria wasn't representin nigeria. Guys that live in the western world should this that  we are view as africans not ghanaian, nigerian and etc. having rivary between two countries is great for the sport. tell me what would rather see nigeria beat ghana in the final or nigeria beat liberia or even say cameroun, but thats where it should stop sports.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Zucker(m): 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2010
I found this very insightful article on ghanaweb. I highly recommend it to all those who are interested in gaining some understanding of the dynamics of the relationship between Ghana and Nigeria. While I agree that some of the reader comments are worrisome, they mirror some of the statements in this thread; which highlights my point about a few bad nuts in both camps. To be fair, a few Nigerians have managed to dent your fine nation's image to the extent that the (negative) reputation they have generated precedes many Nigerians to their destinations around the world. Ghana is not an exception. On the topic of soccer, everybody has the right to support whatever team they want, but to go out of one's way to discourage support for a neighbour is quite disheartening. Here are the links. Enjoy!

Part 1
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=168530

Part 2
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=169020

Excerpt:

S.O.A

The bearer of the above initials is probably the most industrious of the Nigerians ever to set foot on Ghanaian soil. Great-grandson of the illustrious King Dosumu, who founded the State of Lagos and handed same over to the British, S.O. Akiwumi was spirited to Ghana in order to avoid becoming the Oba of Yorubaland, when it became clear that he was the most intelligent of all the aging Akitoye’s children. In Ghana, S.O. Akiwumi flourished in business from 1887, easily becoming the richest merchant in Ghana by 1912. He it was who established the credentials of Ghanaian cocoa to be of premium quality, with his specially branded “S.O.A” grade that the British prided themselves in, buying his cocoa only from the producing districts of Mangoase and Pakro. It is interesting to note also, that S.O. Akiwumi was the first person to establish a wholly privately owned bank in Ghana as records available show. So fabulously rich and industrious was he that he owned the whole of what is today referred to as Makola. I have subsequently found evidence on how that place came to be called Makola, given that the name itself is of Yoruba origin. According to Honourable Kwamina Bartels, who conducted research on it during his student days at the University of Ife in 1974 (now Awolowo University) the word “makola” literally means “Lucky Child”.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by leboss6(m): 4:34pm On Jun 28, 2010
adconline:

my brother nothing wrong in rejoicing with neighbors o, but dont foget we were in that tournament so what happened to us? what if we were to play Ghana say in the quarters where will your loyalty lie, i carry a  green Nigerian passport not a black Ghanian's passport.
keep deceiving yourself, a green Naija passport would land  you into multiple interrogation posts when traveling overseas, while a Ghanian passport would be hitch-free.
If thats the price i have to pay for being a Nigerian so be it,Nigeria is my country and no where else.cheers
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by leboss6(m): 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2010
landtraza:

total rubbish, are you talking of the same ghana that hosted our dream team after winning a gold medal on football at atalanta 1996. grow up please. angry so you would have bean happy if no AFRICAN TEAMS made it to the next level. i bow for you ooooooooooooooo angry.
please ill like to know where and when Ghana hosted our dream team, cheers
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by MandingoII(m): 4:50pm On Jun 28, 2010
To all those celebrating Ghana's victory you all should cover your faces with shame, what our country of 150 million could not do a tiny country of just bout 20 million has done, Ain't nothing like United states of Africa, we have NIGERIANS and GHANANIANS, the victory's belongs to Ghanaians only they worked for it and they deserve it we should stop clinching , Chikena

ACTUALLY,

The victory belongs to ALL AFRICANS.

because people outside of Africa think all africa is the same,
ex
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by Zucker(m): 4:51pm On Jun 28, 2010
MandingoII:

ACTUALLY,

The victory belongs to ALL AFRICANS.

because people outside of Africa think all africa is the same,
ex

Plus, the players dedicated the victory to "Africa."
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by SirKay3(m): 5:01pm On Jun 28, 2010
@ Ranoscky,

Some of their Radio/TV stations gave time to air, show, discuss and analyse our matches. Infact, there is a Radio Station in Accra (Vibe FM), which airs Naija show on Sundays between 4pm - 6pm, being anchored by Nigerians and open to Nigerians/Ghanaians to call in and speak their minds.

Don't hate Ghanaians, cos it's only a few of them that has xenophobia towards us. What some of our guys are doing in Ghana go fear you. Let me close my mouth here.

@ Zucker,

Thanks for the insightful articles. Me daa si paapaaaaaaa. Nyame n su a o.
Re: Nigerians Wake Up We Are Nigerians Not Ghanaians by MandingoII(m): 5:11pm On Jun 28, 2010
Be HAPPY for somebody even if you cannot be happy for yourself.

Hating on others make you look small and bitter.

not cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Named World Player Of The Year Yet Again / Soccer Stars Project Confirms 22 Players From Akwa Ibom, Set For Abuja Screening / Chelsea VS Barcelona At 12:30 Today (Women's Champions League Semi-Final).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.