Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,699 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children (4235 Views)

Poll: Do you support this law.

Yes: 33% (8 votes)
No: 54% (13 votes)
Undecided: 12% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / At What Age Does Parent Need To Stop Flogging Their Children? / Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:26am On Jul 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

That case is totally irrelevant to this law.

This is a case of murder. Not tied child disciplinary action.
Murder ke?. He didn't murder them, he was trying to teach them a lesson and a bitter one at that.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:28am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

are you insinuating that spanking,beating, flogging etc be done away with in our society?

Yes, call the family court to help you evaluate your kids. Some of them have ADD/ADHD without your knowledge. Look at the products of flogging, spanking and kicking in Nigeria, what did we benefit from it apart from the pains?. Other products of that abuse are 419, looting, armed robbery, ashewo, etc. Compare the rate of these vices with the ones in the Western world.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Murder ke?. He didn't murder them, he was trying to teach them a lesson and a bitter one at that.
What does pulling a trigger have to do with spanking?

He wasn't trying to teach them a lesson, he was trying to get them to confess to something.

This is like comparing "a robber shooting his victim because the victim "lied" about not having any money" and " a judge's prosecuting a criminal offender"
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 12:36am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

lets assume that was the case( trying to teach them a lesson)which is not but for the case of this), that is the extreme of the extreme cases. so you cant compare it to normal disciplines

Aloy+Emeka:

Yes, call the family court to help you evaluate your kids. Some of them have ADD/ADHD without your knowledge. Look at the products of flogging, spanking and kicking in Nigeria, what did we benefit from it apart from the pains?. Other products of that abuse are 419, looting, armed robbery, ashewo, etc. Compare the rate of these vices with the ones in the Western world.

you cant attribute flogging to those "careers" thats the result of poverty. lets ok assume that was the case, what about those who were also flogged but didnt become any of those?

i cant call some family thing, when i am well and able to discipline my child ADD or not. disciplining my daughter is one of my duties as a mom and parent. for how long will i keep calling some center when she misbehaves? and what i will be doing then? taking orders from some people in some center on how to properly disciple my own daughter?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:44am On Jul 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

What does pulling a trigger have to do with spanking?

He wasn't trying to teach them a lesson, he was trying to get them to confess to something.

This is like comparing "a robber shooting his victim because the victim "lied" about not having any money" and " a judge's prosecuting a criminal offender"

In your own mind and plausible interpretation but in the man's mind, he was expressing his male machismo which has no limits in Nigeria. One of the expressions is shooting his kids in order to get the truth. If he planned to kill them, how does he expect to get the truth out of them?. Abuse is ingrained in our cultural DNA and it has no limits. This man may have used a dane gun but his case is even better than some who use koboko and other forms of abuse to discipline children.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:49am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

you cant attribute flogging to those "careers" thats the result of poverty. lets ok assume that was the case, what about those who were also flogged but didnt become any of those?

In the same vein, you cannot continue flogging children when there is no proven benefit of using such force to discipline children. Sometimes this children are forced to retaliate with excessive force:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-428700.0.html

i cant call some family thing, when i am well and able to discipline my child ADD or not
. disciplining my daughter is one of my duties as a mom and parent. for how long will i keep calling some center when she misbehaves? and what i will be doing then? taking orders from some people in some center on how to properly disciple my own daughter?

I don't know who gave you those duties?. You may be the biological mother of your daughter but you do not have the right over her body. Again, how sure are you that you are well and able to discipline your child?. Are you equipped or certified to handle children with ADD/ADHD?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 12:56am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I don't know who gave you those duties?.

do i really need to tell you that? its my duty to discipline her, just as it also my duty to provide, protect and love her among others things

Again, how sure are you that you are well and able to discipline your child?. Are you equipped or certified to handle children with ADD/ADHD?

Lol. i know i am able because i am able.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 12:59am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

do i really need to tell you that? its my duty to discipline her, just as it also my duty to provide, protect and love her among others things

Lol. i know i am able because i am able.

This is like a soldier decorating himself with the rank of a general because he thinks he deserves it. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 1:04am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

This is like a soldier decorating himself with the rank of a general because he thinks he deserves it. grin grin grin grin grin

deserve ke? far from it. i guess its ok for me to also choose not to provide/shelter her because i certainly also dont have any right over her? Emeka,im yet to see any parent who needs especially "duty orders" or certification for him/her to disciple her own child ?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 1:09am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

deserve ke? far from it. i guess its ok for me to also choose not to provide/shelter her because i certainly also dont have any right over her? Emeka,im yet to see any parent who needs especially "duty orders" or certification for him/her to disciple her own child ?

No you are rather indebted to her by law because she wasn't in your bedroom during her formation. Nobody put a gun in your head to bring her into the world so by right, you should shelter and feed her until she is of age.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

In your own mind and plausible interpretation but in the man's mind, he was expressing his male machismo which has no limits in Nigeria. One of the expressions is shooting his kids in order to get the truth. If he planned to kill them, how does he expect to get the truth out of them?. Abuse is ingrained in our cultural DNA and it has no limits. This man may have used a dane gun but his case is even better than some who use koboko and other forms of abuse to discipline children.
Like I said before, some ppl abuse their privilege as a parent. He's one of them.
Male ego- or male machismo, as you wish to call it, does not necessarily have anything to do with discipling a child. I mean, he prolly pulled the trigger because he didnt want to be disrespected as an elder, didnt want to be ridiculed.
I bet you if they perform an autopsy on his brain, they'll find some kind of chemical defect affecting the regular performance of his brain activities . This is a case of mental disorder. No parent would shoot their child/ren because of a few changes.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 1:14am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

No you are rather indebted to her by law because she wasn't in your bedroom during her formation. Nobody put a gun in your head to bring her into the world so by right, you should shelter and feed her until she is of age.

it also by this same right you are implying here, that i have to disciple her. i have a responsibility towards her morally and otherwise to raise her to the best of my ability.

i cant just provide/shelter her and then let her to go disciple herself or let someone else do that for me.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 4:07am On Jul 08, 2010
the beginning of the end for discipline in Naija. Why ban flogging? Is that our most pressing problem now?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Acidosis(m): 4:14am On Jul 08, 2010
davidylan:

the beginning of the end for discipline in Naija. Why ban flogging? Is that our most pressing problem now?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by sophy09: 4:20am On Jul 08, 2010
Stupid laws are made in Nigeria. How can a parent go to jail for flogging their kids. If this type of law is to be carried out, it should start from the government and the police itself. What do the government have to say about police brutality. In the Western world, you are innocent until proved guilty but not so in Nigeria. You undergo torture if suspected of a crime. Is that not flogging of an innocent person or a policeman slapping bus driver because of 20 naira. All that is left aside for a parent trying to teach his/her child morals. Although I will not dispute the fact that some parent over do it but it makes a child stronger.

There are two sides to the coin, depending on how you view it, most of our kids are not outspoken and they are not given the chance to express themselves but that should not stop a parent from disciplining their child.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 5:56am On Jul 08, 2010
davidylan:

With paedophilia, verbal and physical abuse on the rise in Nigeria, the govt of lagos state saw a need for this law. I am only afraid that all the ajegunle residents will fill our jails because they sabi abuse children VERBALLY.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 6:25am On Jul 08, 2010
what about those children in rural areas?

this law only makes sense in the paper
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 7:03am On Jul 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

what about those children in rural areas?

this law only makes sense in the paper
Lol, you dey take idea to know the limits of the law so you can drive straight to the village with your daughter upon returning to Naija. I no blame you, alagbon no be better place.  The law go reach village by next year o.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by chika98: 7:19am On Jul 08, 2010
Nigeria knows how to focus on the wrong things. Let them sort out healthcare first!
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 7:20am On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Lol, you dey take idea to know the limits of the law so you can drive straight to the village with your daughter upon returning to Naija. I no blame you, alagbon no be better place.  The law go reach village by next year o.  grin grin grin grin

LWKMD!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

Emeka you no well i tellya grin grin

i dont need any yeye non-enforceable law to tell me how to handle her.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 7:21am On Jul 08, 2010
chika98:

Nigeria knows how to focus on the wrong things. Let them sort out healthcare first!

Healthcare needs support system abi?. When you curtail the number of physically and mentally abused kids, you curtail the number of patients in our various hospitals. Lagos state is the smartest govt in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 8:38pm On Jul 08, 2010
At least i got 4 yes's over 6 no's. That means that many Nigerians are adopting the progressive thinking. Sissy, you are in trouble o. grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by netotse(m): 8:52pm On Jul 08, 2010
nigerians in naija are not worried about this, i dont know why y'all are. . .

tell me which yoruba market woman will let a legislator tell her how to raise her child. . .

maybe the A.C. was too high the day someone mooted the idea, so they forgot they were in naija for a second. . .shior!
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 9:13pm On Jul 08, 2010
netotse:

nigerians in naija are not worried about this, i dont know why y'all are. . .

tell me which yoruba market woman will let a legislator tell her how to raise her child. .

maybe the A.C. was too high the day someone mooted the idea, so they forgot they were in naija for a second. . .shior!

Don't worry, you go see.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by netotse(m): 9:21pm On Jul 08, 2010
in a country where govt asks us to use pedestrian bridges and we dont, where police beat people up, who will enforce such a law if it happens 'by mistake'. . .it will shock them that they will be recalled if they try themselves. . .lol
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by amarilo: 10:11pm On Jul 08, 2010
After reporting me to police or whoever he will come home or the police will adopt him/her. Fashola should start building homes for those kinda children.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 10:12pm On Jul 08, 2010
amarilo:

After reporting me to police or whoever he will come home or the police will adopt him/her. Fashola should start building homes for those kinda children.

See threat o. I shall forward this comment to Kirikiri headquarters.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by amarilo: 10:16pm On Jul 08, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

See threat o. I shall forward this comment to Kirikiri headquarters.
Nigeria children can't even try it. Call police for your papa!!!! Na im be say he go begin collet social otherwise he go turn almajiri(begger).

Oyibo(britico) they regret such law and even contemplating bringing back school cane but i don't it will ever happen.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 10:40pm On Jul 08, 2010
amarilo:

Nigeria children can't even try it. Call police for your papa!!!! Na im be say he go begin collet social otherwise he go turn almajiri(begger).

Oyibo(britico) they regret such law and even contemplating bringing back school cane but i don't it will ever happen.

Who told you they are regretting it?. So you will starve your son if he arrests you with police for spanking/beating/abusing  him?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jul 08, 2010
amarilo:

grin grin
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 1:36am On Jul 09, 2010
amarilo:

abi oo grin grin
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 09, 2010
Yes, I would support this law, if it was passed, and enforced.

Beating children does not make children respect their parents. It'll end up making them despise them, and in time, they'll become immune to beatings, and just play up regardless.

Where does beating stop? How far should a parent go, and what would be termed as "excessive beating"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flying Bird Turned Into A Beautiful Girl In Broad Daylight / Get A New Look For Your Children’s Room / My Friends House Help Is Accusing Him Of Being Responsible For Her Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.