Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,533 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children (4234 Views)

Poll: Do you support this law.

Yes: 33% (8 votes)
No: 54% (13 votes)
Undecided: 12% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / At What Age Does Parent Need To Stop Flogging Their Children? / Nigerian Woman Jailed In Houston For Flogging Her Two Daughters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 10:02am On Jul 09, 2010
Siena:

Yes, I would support this law, if it was passed, and enforced.

Beating children does not make children respect their parents. It'll end up making them despise them, and in time, they'll become immune to beatings, and just play up regardless.

Where does beating stop? How far should a parent go, and what would be termed as "excessive beating"?

i disagree. not in all "cases". IMO, that would only apply in cases of abuse in this setting (cane/beating abuse)
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 4:14pm On Jul 09, 2010
~Sissy~:

i disagree. not in all "cases".  IMO, that would only apply in cases of abuse in this setting (cane/beating abuse)

What is your prescribed method of disciplining kids without repercussions?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 09, 2010
Siena:

Yes, I would support this law, if it was passed, and enforced.

Beating children does not make children respect their parents. It'll end up making them despise them, and in time, they'll become immune to beatings, and just play up regardless.

Where does beating stop? How far should a parent go, and what would be termed as "excessive beating"?

You guys are misconstruing punishment with respect.

A punishment is a reinforcer to let a child know what is wrong or right. If punished, they'd understand  next not to repeat the same mistake or mistakes of its kind.

I've been beaten by some of my relatives, some I respect and some I dont respect at all.  It's all abt discipline and training. Respect is another factor.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by bawomolo(m): 8:24pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

A punishment is a reinforcer to let a child know what is wrong or right. If punished, they'd understand  next not to repeat the same mistake or mistakes of its kind.

I've been beaten by some of my relatives, some I respect and some I dont respect at all.  It's all abt discipline and training. Respect is another factor.

is beatings the most effective way to instill respect.  most of the time, you are instilling fear and not respect.  what happens when the child becomes immune to the beatings?

weren't most of the agberos and omo-otas beaten too?

when do the beatings stop, when the child is 10,15,20? beatings lose their effectiveness pretty fast hence the reasons lots of Nigerians have bad relationships with their fathers.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 09, 2010
bawomolo:

is beatings the most effective way to instill respect.  most of the time, you are instilling fear and not respect.  what happens when the child becomes immune to the beatings?

weren't most of the agberos and omo-otas beaten too?
ONCE AGAIN: Spanking kids is a reinforcer to let them know WHAT is  right and wrong. A reinforcer. . . . not necessarily a tool to instill respect.

While bringing up a child, you need a reinforcer, you need to teach them respect, and you and you definitely need to instill in them a moderate level of fear. These 3 factors are not necessarily the same thing.

Religion: I respect God, I fear God and I definitely know what he deems right and wrong.

BEATINGs IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO BRING A CHILD UP, PLEASE! But it surely helps cool
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by bawomolo(m): 8:39pm On Jul 09, 2010
and how does it help?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 09, 2010
bawomolo:

and how does it help?
If fire burns your hand, you wont put your hand in the fire again. If you're smart.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by bawomolo(m): 9:02pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

If fire burns your hand, you wont put your hand in the fire again. If you're smart.

are you saying beatings are the most effective way of punishment
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by truly: 9:06pm On Jul 09, 2010
I will NEVER EVER support this law
This is one of the foreign ideas that are sold to us by with too much education
Please remind me of any indigenous idea of ours that has been copied by foreigners
We must give up everything in our culture because we want to to be civilised

I remember the countless ocassions that the fear of the cane stopped me from some wayward acts
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by cantell(m): 9:10pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Good comment.
Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Naija children are hardnuts in crazy environment. Without the use of cane and punishments, they'll probably turn to hooligans.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 09, 2010
bawomolo:

are you saying beatings are the most effective way of punishment
I'm saying that its a factor of disciplinary action that is very much required.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by bawomolo(m): 9:44pm On Jul 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I'm saying that its a factor of disciplinary action that is very much required.

and why is it very much required?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 09, 2010
bawomolo:

and why is it very much required?
Busayo, we're going in circle here.
Read my previous replies to you again.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by dayokanu(m): 11:06pm On Jul 09, 2010
I know some parents beat their kids and give them debilitating injuries which should be banned but light beating shouldnt be outlawed
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 11:52pm On Jul 09, 2010
bawomolo:

is beatings the most effective way to instill respect. 

no it is not. but its still a method of discipline many use

what happens when the child becomes immune to the beatings?

thats why using one method of disciple is wrong. use "time-out" as your method they will also get use to it

when do the beatings stop, when the child is 10,15,20? beatings lose their effectiveness pretty fast hence the reasons lots of Nigerians have bad relationships with their fathers.

many things factor in that reason(s) why many have bad relationships with their fathers. beating is not the sole reason abuse is. there is a difference between using flogging as a disciplinary action and using flogging as a method of abuse.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by dayokanu(m): 12:03am On Jul 10, 2010
I was beaten a lot as a kid but I still love my parents
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Sissy3(f): 12:05am On Jul 10, 2010
^^^^

Exactly.

there are many kids who were not beaten but still have no sense of respect for their parents
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by bawomolo(m): 2:36am On Jul 10, 2010
dayokanu:

I was beaten a lot as a kid but I still love my parents

you only love them because they put you in their will  cheesy
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by dayokanu(m): 2:46am On Jul 10, 2010
bawomolo:

you only love them because they put in their will cheesy

You mean will their property? Noooo My papa na poor man. Moreover we are just 4 kids so no will sharing wahala. I would gladly give all to my siblings self.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 10, 2010
dayokanu:

You mean will their property? Noooo My papa na poor man. Moreover we are just 4 kids so no will sharing wahala. I[b] would gladly give all to my siblings self.[/b]
Lies, the last time I asked you for $20 nko?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by dayokanu(m): 5:56am On Jul 10, 2010
You were not ready to meet the conditions which is come and collect it in my room
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 7:04am On Jul 10, 2010
cantell:

Naija children are hardnuts in crazy environment. Without the use of cane and punishments, they'll probably turn to hooligans.

Are you saying that Nigerian children have a tendency to behave like animals and are less intelligent than children from other continent unless they are checked with whips and blows from their parents and guardians?. So the Nigerian gene is a very stubborn and idiotic one , abi?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 7:06am On Jul 10, 2010
dayokanu:

I know some parents beat their kids and give them debilitating injuries which should be banned but light beating shouldnt be outlawed

Define light beating please.

Can you choose an example of light beating  from these popular Nigerian methods of disciplining children:

Knocking children on the head
flogging them with cane
putting pepper on their private parts and eyes
spanking their behind
slapping them on the face
flogging them with koboko or cow's tail.
Abusing them verbally in the name of orisa
Rubbing and blistering their back with izal or hydrogen peroxide.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 10, 2010
^^^ It's all child abuse, whichever way it's looked at.

It just has a different name in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by dayokanu(m): 7:31am On Jul 10, 2010
Knocking children on the head -
flogging them with cane
spanking their behind
slapping them on the face
Rubbing and blistering their back with izal or hydrogen peroxide.

You know the difference in the intensity, The way you beat a goat and your child should be different.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by cantell(m): 7:59am On Jul 10, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Are you saying that Nigerian children have a tendency to behave like animals and are less intelligent than children from other continent unless they are checked with whips and blows from their parents and guardians?. So the Nigerian gene is a very stubborn and idiotic one , abi?
Read my comment well and stop twisting it.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by netotse(m): 8:12am On Jul 10, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Aloy+Emeka:

Define light beating please.

Can you choose an example of light beating  from these popular Nigerian methods of disciplining children:

Knocking children on the head
flogging them with cane
spanking their behind
slapping them on the face[b]
Rubbing and blistering their back with izal or hydrogen peroxide.[/b]

what's popular about all those ones? stop behaving like a r[i]e[/i]tard, we know you're against beating but you dont need to dredge up stupid lies to butress that fact. . .

an important factor in discipline is why? the main reason a lot of us (and i'm suspecting most of the anti-beating ppl that grew up in naija) are vehemently against beaten is because the why? wasn't clearly established, without an appropriate why? it's not beating it's abuse. . .and i agree that goes on a great deal i naija, beating children cause you're angry with them, not because they did something wrong. . .it's important for the child to understand why? he's being disciplined, if he doesn't all he comes away from the experience with is resentment.

if any of the anti-beating folks here had been on the parental guide:bringing up a child you'd understand. . .

a lot of us nigerians dont really know how to raise children and so we hide behind various things. . .beating a child or not beating a child by itself does not make you a good parent, judging a persons parental competency(i invented that. . .) is an effort in futility (personally i'd call it an ode to stupidity)

that said for the umpteenth time, why is it mostly y'all in the 'spora that are soooo interested in this issue? lemme break it down for y'all(cos i'm a nice person and thats what nice people do. . . grin)

AC is in power in lagos right? what is ACs political base? the market women, illiterates et al. . .if AC stupidly makes noise about this bill, i would expect lagos PDP to capitalize on it and start a 'save our culture'  campaign. . .

BTW, it's a member sponsored bill not an executive bill, so chances are it wont even see the light of day. . .

the newspapers just wanted to raise dust, it's soooo not going anywhere.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 8:27am On Jul 10, 2010
netotse:

what's popular about all those ones? stop behaving like a r[i]e[/i]tard, we know you're against beating but you dont need to dredge up silly lies to butress that fact. . .

an important factor in discipline is why? the main reason a lot of us (and i'm suspecting most of the anti-beating ppl that grew up in naija) are vehemently against beaten is because the why? wasn't clearly established, without an appropriate why? it's not beating it's abuse. . .and i agree that goes on a great deal i naija, beating children cause you're angry with them, not because they did something wrong. . .it's important for the child to understand why? he's being disciplined, if he doesn't all he comes away from the experience with is resentment.

if any of the anti-beating folks here had been on the parental guide:bringing up a child you'd understand. . .

[size=14pt]a lot of us nigerians dont really know how to raise children and so we hide behind various things. . .beating a child or not beating a child by itself does not make you a good parent, judging a persons parental competency(i invented that. . .) is an effort in futility (personally i'd call it an ode to stupidity)[/size]

that said for the umpteenth time, why is it mostly y'all in the 'spora that are soooo interested in this issue? lemme break it down for y'all(cos i'm a nice person and thats what nice people do. . . grin)

AC is in power in lagos right? what is ACs political base? the market women, illiterates et al. . .if AC stupidly makes noise about this bill, i would expect lagos PDP to capitalize on it and start a 'save our culture'  campaign. . .

BTW, it's a member sponsored bill not an executive bill, so chances are it wont even see the light of day. . .

the newspapers just wanted to raise dust, it's soooo not going anywhere.

That is if Nigerias' democracy is run on majority carries the vote.  I know all the shildren you raised are well mannered, respectful and are headed to Harvard and Yale due to the diligence and the wealth of knowledge you inculcated in them, abi?.  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 8:28am On Jul 10, 2010
dayokanu:

You know the difference in the intensity, The way you beat a goat and your child should be different.

Yes I can wallop a goat real hard but how do I measure the intensity of of knocking my child especially when I am under the influence of adrenaline?
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by AloyEmeka5: 8:35am On Jul 10, 2010
Siena:

^^^ It's all child abuse, whichever way it's looked at.

It just has a different name in Nigeria.

I forgot to add brushing, waterboarding[yes, some parents waterboard their kids in Nigeria] and using hot knife to give them marks on the body.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by mutter(f): 12:09pm On Jul 10, 2010
when you flog or abuse a child you do much more than inflicting physical pain. You hurt a soul for life.
When you flog or abuse a child you do much more than instil respect. You break a child for life.
we raise men that are themselves brutal callous and insensitive towards others. We raise women that are so intimidated that they don`t have the confidence to stop abuse when it takes place. The body is a temple and should be treated as such. I shudder to think of all the abuse going on. When I was a kid i never knew it was abuse just saw it as being normal now I know better. I have a few friends that were never beaten, they ended up more stable as adults that kids that were beaten.
When we abuse a child physically we have lost control of the situation.
Re: Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children by dayokanu(m): 7:23pm On Jul 10, 2010
When I was a kid i never knew it was abuse just saw it as being normal now I know better. I have a few friends that were never beaten, they ended up more stable as adults that kids that were beaten.

And I have seen contrary too, People who were not beaten but ended up worse

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flying Bird Turned Into A Beautiful Girl In Broad Daylight / Get A New Look For Your Children’s Room / My Friends House Help Is Accusing Him Of Being Responsible For Her Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.