Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! (65530 Views)

Buhari’s First Speech After The Military Coup Of 31st December 1983 / Names Of 1966 Coup Plotters.judge For Your Self & Say If It Was An Igbo Coup / Revisiting History: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 5:38pm On Jul 24, 2011
Wesley if you really are Igbo, you should either read further than Ben Gbulie or keep silent.  I never approve of the bloodshed perpetrated by the 5 majors (4 were Igbo) and many footsoldiers( mostyly non-Igbo) but sitting their and insinuating that because the coup was headed by an Igbo, the pogrom of hundreds of thousands of Igbo by the North is justified because if the situation were reversed, Igbo would have done a similiar thing (ie kill hundreds of thousands of northern civilians)  leaves me speechless if really you are Igbo. It is not a must that you must comment. May the hundreds of thousands souls of all those murdered have mercy on you and may their blood not call up to heaven for a similiar fate for you.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 5:38pm On Jul 24, 2011
Why did the first coup and the counter-coup fail in the Eastern region?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 5:40pm On Jul 24, 2011
houvest:

Wesley if you really are Igbo, you should either read further than Ben Gbulie or keep silent.  I never approve of the bloodshed perpetrated by the 5 majors (4 were Igbo) and many footsoldiers( mostyly non-Igbo) but sitting their and insinuating that because the coup was headed by an Igbo, the pogrom of hundreds of thousands of Igbo by the North is justified because if the situation were reversed, Igbo would have done a similiar thing (ie kill hundreds of thousands of northern civilians)  leaves me speechless if really you are Igbo. It is not a must that you must comment. May the hundreds of thousands souls of all those murdered have mercy on you and may their blood not call up to heaven for a similiar fate for you.

Wesley is not an Igbo. How could he say that about his people? I choose not to believe that he is one of our own, because I never seen an Igbo defend the death of their kinsmen. They may blame the first coup, but they never defend the senseless killing of INNOCENT civilians. Innocent women, men and children to be butchered like animals. How can anyone defend that?

Why didn't the Igbo soldiers in the East slaughter the soldiers of ethnic origins who were slaughtering their people in the other regions?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 5:52pm On Jul 24, 2011
EzeUche:

Wesley is not an Igbo. How could he say that about his people? I choose not believe that he is one of our own, because I never seen an Igbo defend the death of their kinsmen. They may blame the first coup, but they never defend the senseless killing of INNOCENT civilians. Innocent women, men and children to be butchered like animals. How can anyone defend that?

Why didn't the Igbo soldiers in the East slaughter the soldiers of ethnic origins who were slaughtering their people in the other regions?

For the same reason why Ojukwu, the Governor of the Eastern region, ran from Enugu to Onitsha to hide instead of trying to crush the coup. Were there any soldiers in Onitsha? Stop asking dumb questions.

EzeUche:

Why did the first coup and the counter-coup fail in the Eastern region?

There was no coup in the East in January 1966 for obvious reasons. The July coup did not take place in the East because of the actions of the commander, David Ogunewe and Benjamin Adekunle. They prevented the Northern soldiers from gaining access to the Armory and ensured that all officers stayed together in the Mess with the NCOs on the parade ground.

6 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by bellten: 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2011
@ Ezeuce,
I have witnessed the savage attacks being meeted out to you by Igbo-aters on this forum. They say you are a tribalist, but you are a hero, who is passionately defending his people against injustice. My quetion is, why don't you and other serious Igbo activists like Chyz, Obiagu, Zeeno, e.t.c, form a private forum in igbodefender.com?

There, no one can derail your pro-Igbo threads, and you get to ban anyone who comes in through the back door to do that. Imagine being admin on forum discussing your 'palm oil' and 'true extent of Alaigbo' threads. That's wat you get by starting your forum at igbodefender.com.

If you need a private group, go start an Ezeuche's group thread there now. The Igbos need what you have to offer, but here is not the right place for uninterupted discussion by Ndigbo. As I speak to you, I have my own forum called Bellten Club, and I'm thinking of making it private and inviting a few trusted people.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 5:56pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

[s]Shodeinde was killed by Onwuategwu and Nzeogwu[/s]
Ademulegun and wife were killed by Onwuategwu
Akintola was killed by Nwobosi

Shodeinde and Ademulegun weren't killed in the Western region, they were killed in Kaduna. Thats why I said you should stop asking silly questions and go directly to your point instead of obfuscating like a teenager who missed her period. So what was the point you wanted to make?

You claims of Onwuategwu and Nzeogwu killing Shodeine is all conjecture like everything concerning the coup usually is. Maybe you got your infor from here but added your own patches to benefit your argument. Funny guy. Lol:

The head of the NMTC Colonel Ralph Shodeinde was also killed. The manner of his death is unclear.  His wife (who was present when he was killed) testified that he was shot by several soldiers including Majors Nzeogwu and Onwuategwu.  Other accounts claim that a grenade was tossed at him.  It is not clear whether Nzeogwu could possibly have been involved in Shodeinde’s death since presumably he was pre-occupied at the time with killing Ahmadu Bello.  Most accounts place responsibly for Shodeinde’s murder with Onwuategwu.  The Majors’ bloodlust in some cases and failure to kill others is puzzling. The same Major Onwuategwu who shot his commanding officers and their wives arrested, but did not harm the Governor of the Northern Region: Sir Kashim Ibrahim.  When released, Ibrahim vouched that he had been treated with utmost respect by the men who abducted him.  The Majors clearly had their “favourites” when it came to sparing or ending lives.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 5:58pm On Jul 24, 2011
bellten:

@ Ezeuce,
I have witnessed the savage attacks being meeted out to you by Igbo-aters on this forum. They say you are a tribalist, but you are a hero, who is passionately defending his people against injustice. My quetion is, why don't you and other serious Igbo activists like Chyz, Obiagu, Zeeno, e.t.c, form a private forum in igbodefender.com?

There, no one can derail your pro-Igbo threads, and you get to ban anyone who comes in through the back door to do that. Imagine being admin on forum discussing your 'palm oil' and 'true extent of Alaigbo' threads. That's wat you get by starting your forum at igbodefender.com.

If you need a private group, go start an Ezeuche's group thread there now. The Igbos need what you have to offer, but here is not the right place for uninterupted discussion by Ndigbo. As I speak to you, I have my own forum called Bellten Club, and I'm thinking of making it private and inviting a few trusted people.

I'm on to it. Got to sock it to these deceivers on nairaland first. cool
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 6:00pm On Jul 24, 2011
houvest:

That is not correct. There 14 main particpants (9 Majors and 5 captains). Obienu chickened out on the morning of the January and failed to turn up. Chude-Sokei was sent on a course just before the execution. Ijfeajuna, Okafor, and Oji were the first planners.

Also, you can't include NCOs and Lieutenants because they were mostly following orders. Many even thought they were on a training exercise. Take the case of sgt. Oyegoke who was shot in cold blood by Nzeogwu because he refused to fire on the Sardauna's house.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 6:00pm On Jul 24, 2011
bellten:

@ Ezeuce,
I have witnessed the savage attacks being meeted out to you by Igbo-aters on this forum. They say you are a tribalist, but you are a hero,  who is passionately defending his people against injustice. My quetion is, why don't you and other serious Igbo activists like Chyz, Obiagu, Zeeno, e.t.c, form a private forum in igbodefender.com?

I will take a look at the site. But there so many pro-Igbo websites. They need to consolidate, because I see vibrant discussion on every forum. Many of my views would be considered lenient to some of the things I hear many of my Igbo brothers and sisters say.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 6:02pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

For the same reason why Ojukwu, the Governor of the Eastern region, ran from Enugu to Onitsha to hide instead of trying to crush the coup. Were there any soldiers in Onitsha? Stop asking dumb questions.

There was no coup in the East in January 1966 for obvious reasons. The July coup did not take place in the East because of the actions of the commander, David Ogunewe and Benjamin Adekunle. They prevented the Northern soldiers from gaining access to the Armory and ensured that all officers stayed together in the Mess with the NCOs on the parade ground.

You do not make sense. What does Ojukwu have anything to do with why Eastern soldiers did not slaughter non-Eastern soldiers in the East?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 6:02pm On Jul 24, 2011
Also, @ Katsumoto, were Nwobosi's men who killed Akintola Igbos? It be a shame to find out that any of those men were Yorubas wouldnt it? wink
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 6:02pm On Jul 24, 2011
Chyz*:

You claims of Onwuategwu and Nzeogwu killing Shodeine is all conjecture like everything concerning the coup usually is. Maybe you got your infor from here but added your own patches to benefit your argument. Funny guy. Lol:

The head of the NMTC Colonel Ralph Shodeinde was also killed. The manner of his death is unclear.  His wife (who was present when he was killed) testified that he was shot by several soldiers including Majors Nzeogwu and Onwuategwu.  Other accounts claim that a grenade was tossed at him.  It is not clear whether Nzeogwu could possibly have been involved in Shodeinde’s death since presumably he was pre-occupied at the time with killing Ahmadu Bello.  Most accounts place responsibly for Shodeinde’s murder with Onwuategwu.  The Majors’ bloodlust in some cases and failure to kill others is puzzling. The same Major Onwuategwu who shot his commanding officers and their wives arrested, but did not harm the Governor of the Northern Region: Sir Kashim Ibrahim.  When released, Ibrahim vouched that he had been treated with utmost respect by the men who abducted him.  The Majors clearly had their “favourites” when it came to sparing or ending lives.

What does that prove? Did he die in his sleep? How did his wife receive gun shot wounds?

You still haven't made your point? Please go back to the post you made about Shodeinde, Ademulegun, etc. and the Western region.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by bellten: 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2011
I forgot to add, as the creator of the forum on igbodefender.com, you can make it public- open for any poster; private- membership is limited to approval of the the forum admin; hidden- forum is not open to invitation, just to a selected few. Ndigbo, you need a forum site to witdraw to. You need an imeobi to go in and discuss anioma or alaigbo.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

What does that prove? Did he die in his sleep? How did his wife receive gun shot wounds?

You still haven't made your point? Please go back to the post you made about Shodeinde, Ademulegun, etc. and the Western region.

Yea, he died alright, including his wife, but by whose trigger? Pls, your constant conjectures are getting a little out of hand.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 6:06pm On Jul 24, 2011
EzeUche:

You do not make sense. What does Ojukwu have anything to do with why Eastern soldiers did not slaughter non-Eastern soldiers in the East?

Fear

Do I have to spell it out?

Secondly, no one had access to the Armoury.

Chyz*:

Also, @ Katsumoto, were Nwobosi's men who killed Akintola Igbos? It be a shame to find out that any of those men were Yorubas wouldnt it?  wink

You are a dunce. You want to blame NCOs when their was a commanding officer. If you don't understand military parlance, then shut the bleep up. The commanding officer is always in charge; he gives orders which are followed by surbodinates. Even a ten year old girl would understand that.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Yea, he died alright, including his wife, but by whose trigger? Pls, your constant conjectures are getting a little out of hand.

Since you were there and don't believe Onwuategwu was responsible, why don't you tell us?

2 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 6:08pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

Fear

Do I have to spell it out?

What fear? These soldiers were in core Igboland. And with a possible hostile population. The Igbo soldiers had nothing to fear, because they were at home.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 6:12pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are a dunce. You want to blame NCOs when their was a commanding officer. If you don't understand military parlance, then shut the bleep up. The commanding officer is always in charge; he gives orders which are followed by surbodinates. Even a ten year old girl would understand that.

Cool your temper. You cant always have things your way. Facts are facts.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 6:16pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

Since you were there and don't believe Onwuategwu was responsible, why don't you tell us?

Well since YOU were there and he DID do it, why dont YOU provide us with the video,tapes, or recordings proving he killed Shodeinde? Also, didn't you say that it was both Nzeogwu and Onwutegwu that killed Shodeinde? Why now that you changed to Onwuategwu,lol? I hope that the post i uploaded did have that much of an effect on you? Lmao! Small boy cheesy
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 6:17pm On Jul 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Cool your temper. You cant always have things your way. Facts are facts.

grin grin grin

Katsumoto used to be very calm in his debates.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 6:24pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

That is not correct. There 14 main particpants (9 Majors and 5 captains). Obienu chickened out on the morning of the January and failed to turn up. Chude-Sokei was sent on a course just before the execution. Ijfeajuna, Okafor, and Oji were the first planners.

Also, you can't include NCOs and Lieutenants because they were mostly following orders. Many even thought they were on a training exercise. Take the case of sgt. Oyegoke who was shot in cold blood by Nzeogwu because he refused to fire on the Sardauna's house.

What is not correct Please? That the 5 majors had 4 Igbos and one Yoruba or that the foot soldiers were mainly non-Igbo. Whether the NCOs and lieutnants were following orders or not, the fact is that they were mainly non-Igbo. Were there not enough Igbo foot soldiers to be used at the exclusion of others if indeed it was an Igbo project? How many Igbos were used  in the counter coup whether they were following instructions or not or made to think they were going for a training exercise?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 6:28pm On Jul 24, 2011
bellten:

@ Ezeuce,

Thanks for the information. As much as Ndigbo need such forums, we also need presence in other forums in other to balance information and learn from and teach others. But such a forum is really welcome.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2011
EzeUche:

grin grin grin

The guy be small boy na. grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by nduchucks: 6:38pm On Jul 24, 2011
houvest:

Wesley if you really are Igbo, you should either read further than Ben Gbulie or keep silent.  I never approve of the bloodshed perpetrated by the 5 majors (4 were Igbo) and many footsoldiers( mostyly non-Igbo) but sitting their and insinuating that because the coup was headed by an Igbo, the pogrom of hundreds of thousands of Igbo by the North is justified because if the situation were reversed, Igbo would have done a similiar thing (ie kill hundreds of thousands of northern civilians)  leaves me speechless if really you are Igbo. It is not a must that you must comment. May the hundreds of thousands souls of all those murdered have mercy on you and may their blood not call up to heaven for a similiar fate for you.

Nwannem, wesley80, For the statement in blue above, I hereby withdraw 4 of the olodos in my remarks to you in previous threads. You may very well be fair minded but simply uninformed regarding quite a few issues you've disagreed with me about. 

I will be back to respond to other posts in a few.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 6:43pm On Jul 24, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Nwannem, For the statement in blue above, I hereby withdraw 4 of the olodos in my remarks to you in previous threads. You may very well be fair minded but simply uninformed regarding quite a few issues you've disagreed with me about.

I will be back to respond to other posts in a few.

And your point is,, ?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by namfav(m): 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2011
the south east has never produced leaders of stature of balewa and bello, killing 2 of our most influential leaders at the time was never going to go ignored, celebrating there deaths as a victory was never going to keep anyone safe, emotions were high and alot of people in turn thought that if if it was not them that were going to be killed then everyone had to defend his own, i am not defending any actions but to survive people do anything, just as ojuwku thought that for the ibo race to survive was to have biafra, there are actions that cannot be defending like targeting our leaders and disrespecting them even in death but no one can go through the heads of anyone trying to survive and thinking he is in danger, people do anything to survive and the targetted assisinations of the powerful and most influential in the north was just a final stop for the events in 1966
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 6:48pm On Jul 24, 2011
Chyz*:

Well since YOU were there and he DID do it, why dont YOU provide us with the video,tapes, or recordings proving he killed Shodeinde? Also, didn't you say that it was both Nzeogwu and Onwutegwu that killed Shodeinde? Why now that you changed to Onwuategwu,lol? I hope that the post i uploaded did have that much of an effect on you? Lmao! Small boy  cheesy

Okay, you are right. Shodeinde died from Malaria; Bello from pimples; Ademulegun and wife from small pox.

houvest:

What is not correct Please? That the 5 majors had 4 Igbos and one Yoruba or that the foot soldiers were mainly non-Igbo. Whether the NCOs and lieutnants were following others or not, the fact is that they were mainly non-Igbo. Were there not enough Igbo foot soldiers to be used at the exclusion of others if indeed it was an Igbo project? How many Igbos were used  in the counter coup whether they were following instructions or not or made to think they were going for a training exercise?

How many majors did you say there were again? See the full list below

Majors
Ifeajuna
Nzeogwu
Okafor
Anuforo
Chukwuka
Onwuatuegwu
Ademoyega
Chude-Sokei
Obienu

Captains
Gbulie
Nwobosi
Oji
Udeaja
Ude

It appears you don't understand the make up of the Nigerian Army in 1966. Platoons were not developed along ethnic lines; so you will have a full compliment of all E.Gs in all platoons, battalions, Divisions, etc. The January plotters needed secrecy so they couldn't recruit mainly Igbo officers. That would have meant the plan leaking. Also, you can't count on all the NCOs to share your sentiments.

When the northerners (officers and NCOs alike) retaliated in July, they all had grief and revenge as motivation. They didn't need convincing. As a matter of fact, the July coup started in Abeokuta by NCOs even after Murtala had given instructions not to proceed with the coup. If Ironsi had not been in Ibadan and surrounded by the 4th Battalion, then the coup may have turned out differently. The 4th Battalion that provided guard to Ironsi lost three commanders (Maimalari, Kur Mohammed, and Largema) in the January coup. While Ifeajuna would have struggled to recruit Igbo NCOs, Murtala didn't have that problem. So Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu relied on NCOs following orders and killed those who didn't follow others (see Sgt Oyegoke).

Secondly, the January coup had other objectives - it targetted soldiers and politicians alike whereas the July coup was mainly restricted to military barracks. Please try to understand all the issues and don't be selective.

4 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 7:00pm On Jul 24, 2011
EzeUche:

grin grin grin

Is Katsumoto not human? Even the Pope would lose his cool once in a while if he had to correct mis-informed and ignorant revisionists every now and then.  cool

No matter how much you guys (Chyz and bash4r in particular) keep trying to twist little facts, you will remain unsuccessful in changing mindsets because others are not as daft as you think. I take no pleasure in correcting dullards, I only do it for members who don't post but read.

If you open 1000 threads every few months, I will be there to correct the lies if I have the time.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 7:04pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

Is Katsumoto not human? Even the Pope would lose his cool once in a while if he had to correct mis-informed and ignorant revisionists every now and then.  cool

No matter how much you guys (Chyz and bash4r in particular) keep trying to twist little facts, you will remain unsuccessful in changing mindsets because others are not as daft as you think. I take no pleasure in correcting dullards, I only do it for members who don't post but read.

If you open 1000 threads every few months, I will be there to correct the lies if I have the time.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you understand them
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by nduchucks: 7:04pm On Jul 24, 2011
houvest:

And your point is,, ?

shatap dia!! the accolade was for wesley80 and I was expecting you to call the honourable man an efulefu. I will never withdraw the olodo label of yours. You and reread my posts, olodo.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2011
ndu_chucks:

shatap dia!! the accolade was for wesley80 and I was expecting you to call the honourable man an efulefu. I will never withdraw the olodo label of yours. You and reread my posts, olodo.

the more you reply this hovest of a person, the more he is reducing ur standards

just leave him to his madness, slow slow.mahaukaciya
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2011
ndu_chucks:

What are you smoking pal? You quoted me and ascribed your comment to Wesley. Who be olodo now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha, Uche Nwosu Organize Protest Against APC (Photos) / Transition C’ttee: Buhari Insists On Credible Persons As Bakare Heads Screening / Picture Of Buhari And His Men As They Arrive Paris Has Got People Fascinated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.