Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! (65534 Views)

Buhari’s First Speech After The Military Coup Of 31st December 1983 / Names Of 1966 Coup Plotters.judge For Your Self & Say If It Was An Igbo Coup / Revisiting History: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by jason123: 1:38am On Jul 25, 2011
lagcity:

thanks a lot ezeuche, i threw you a bait and you caught it. this was necessary because i knew you wouldn't be upfront if i brought up the meddling in western politics at first. the North didn't use Akintola, bello's NPC and Zik's NCNC used akintola as fifth column. Bello and Zik were very scared of AG and its radical members. thus they decided to throw a wrench in the AG. so Zik and bello's meddling in the politics of the west caused the wild wild west. if they had just minded their business, there wouldn't be wild wild west. scholars have already concluded on this issue that NCNC and NPC were very strange bed fellows: they weren't really seeing eye to eye and it was a marriage of convenience. these two parties joined together all because of fear of the AG. npc saw ncnc as the lesser evil and vice versa. please ezeuche, don't take my word for it. be intellectually honest enough to ask ppl who actually know this stuff. when i get the time, i'll give you a list of professors from the mid-west and eastern region who told it like it is. no sentiments please. i still have my question for you; was coup and unnecessary bloodshed the perfect solution to the wild wild west?

grin grin grin
You don catch am!!!

PS: Just added my own special effect cheesy
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by jmaine: 1:39am On Jul 25, 2011
houvest:

@jmaine. Many stories have been told to justify the killing off 600,000 innocent men women and children in cold blood. Many will still be told. Pray how come not one not even one of the calendars in your granny's story survived for us to see. You are talking of a printed document not an oral evidence. Did you see any of those pictures? Has any person on nl seen one both old and young? How come all the calendars miraculously disappeared the same way they appeared. All these granny stories cannot heal the wound on the conscience of the nation as well as all the rationalisations about the rightness of the scale of the volume of blood poured away in the name vengeance,  Nuff said.  

Don't get too emotional bro . . . No one is justifying any killings . . but the causes are easily discernible . . .I always assumed that . . . all this drawings on calenders to depict recent happenings was a recent trend to reporting and making jest of local events e.g the Otokoto ritual saga of the mid 90s, The bakassi vigilante group, the killing of the notorious criminal called Derico e.t.c  . .  but her story revealed to me that craft have been in existence as far back before the civil war. . so the tradition continues  wink wink . . .I might wish to inform you what led to her giving us this story which happened this year  . . .

After GEJ trounced Atiku . . there was this funny calender depicting how Atiku was defeated during the PDP presidential primaries .  . .My granny( maternal) runs a guest house . .  So a staff of ours . . bought one of those and hung it in the bar section and we the young lads saw nothing with it . . we jokingly quipped of the presence of that drawings to her and she flew into rage . .that it should be removed . . . we were wondering why this sudden rage filled with caution, since she bluntly supported GEJ all through. And we were wondering what was really the problem . . she told us it could invite problems and we still insisted we saw nothing wrong with it . . . She now gave us a recount that it was one of such acts that culminated into the violence that resulted into the civil war and she was adamant . . for the first time we saw a woman relieving the fears and regrets of the episode during those trying times . . It might interest you to know that she is Efik who resided in the Eastern region of that era. . .

You need printed evidence but you forgot most of the printed evidence it's still someone else story subjective to the story teller . . . We all chose what we want to believe ,as evident already . .  

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 1:42am On Jul 25, 2011
houvest:

@negro. My discussion with katsumoto here has transcended that pedantic level. Please cue in to what we are discussing or just read and not contribute. If you want to start a chicken an egg session, please refer to others who may even take you to genesis 1 or much later to 1914 or even to 1960 or 63 wherever it pleases them. But if you want to participate intelligently in this discussion, why not continue from where we are now instead of asking me whether the chicken came before the egg or the other way. round. Hope you understand the parable . No offences intended.

Actually it is relevant. Balewa, Bello, and Awo didn't want Nigeria. Zik was the person that wanted Nigeria at all cost; even voting against including a secession clause being inserted in the constitution in 1957. Zik had strong motive for supporting an Igbo coup on the basis that he lost out in the contraption that he helped to create and foister on others. He lost out in the power play with Balewa. Secondly, after assisting Akintola to oust Awo in the West, Akintola allied with Bello instead of with Zik.

2 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 1:43am On Jul 25, 2011
<quote>

houvest:
@negro. My discussion with katsumoto here has transcended that pedantic level. Please cue in to what we are discussing or just read and not contribute.

</quote>

Houvest,

You are new kid on the block on this stuff. You should have been here a year ago to join the in the heat.

I will let yiu continue with katz. I know where this is going to end already.

Anyway, katz, the conclusion on this topic always come to the same thing. On the surface there is appearance of spontaneity and miitary rebellion when in reality there was a chorus, a concert harmony of the military and political sons of Igbo stock. The involvement of a two or three non-igbo was to pepper the arrangement for legitimacy and douse the accusation on East.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 1:48am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Actually it is relevant. Balewa, Bello, and Awo didn't want Nigeria. Zik was the person that wanted Nigeria at all cost; even voting against including a secession clause being inserted in the constitution in 1957. Zik had strong motive for supporting an Igbo coup on the basis that he lost out in the contraption that he helped to create and foister on others. He lost out in the power play with Balewa. Secondly, after assisting Akintola to oust Awo in the West, Akintola allied with Bello instead of with Zik.

LIES!

Zik had nothing to gain from the first coup. Why must you continue to lie?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Very insightful.  cool

Zik of Africa ke?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 1:54am On Jul 25, 2011
Oh God help us. Ileke don touch down. Lol
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 1:56am On Jul 25, 2011
@negro. New you say. Funny. Whatever helps your boat to float.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 2:00am On Jul 25, 2011
Hey man, continue discssion with katz. I'm sitting on side to observe. my mouth shut!!
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 2:01am On Jul 25, 2011
@jmaine. Even if your granny was igbo does not matter. The morale of my post is for you to stop believing every my grammy story. Ask for a little evidence.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by jmaine: 2:11am On Jul 25, 2011
houvest:

@jmaine. Even if your granny was igbo does not matter. The morale of my post is for you to stop believing every my grammy story. Ask for a little evidence.

I should stop believing every story accepted, but i will believe this . . .considering the emotional attachment that went into her recount and it was[b] spontaneous .[/b] . . Like i said , the printable evidence is someone else stories subject to the originator . . .a reason why claims are being debunked currently on this thread  . . . Do not take it too personal bruv . . . and the moral import of your post is understood  wink . .
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 2:13am On Jul 25, 2011
@katsumoto. Your conspiracy theory about Zik being the coup master mind is actually laughable. The man must have been a genius to actually do that and get away with it. Not only that most of the honours he got from Nigeria has been from the northern military goons. Who after seeing all the intelligence reports went ahead to make him the most immortalised nigerian. Sorry pal. You can do better than that. I'm actually laughing away at such a theory.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by nduchucks: 2:13am On Jul 25, 2011
The non points made by houvest are too similar and in many cases identical to those made by his intellectual superior, Dede1 that I am beginning to be suspicious.  You people must be getting your information from the same source.

I smell Bros Dede up in here! Apart from moi, only Dede1 one can hold an arguement with Katzumoto on the civil war, and end up without being badly bruised. I submit that I am the only one tough enough to put that Katz of a guy in his place. I thrash him regularly.  cheesy
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 2:15am On Jul 25, 2011
ndu_chucks:

The non points made by houvest are too similar and in many cases identical to those made by his intellectual superior, Dede1 that I am beginning to be suspicious.  You people must be getting your information from the same source.

I smell Bros Dede up in here! Apart from moi, only Dede1 one can hold an arguement with Katzumoto on the civil war, and end up without being badly bruised. I submit that I am the only one tough enough to put that Katz of a guy in his place. I thrash him regularly
.  cheesy

Mr Grammar shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 2:22am On Jul 25, 2011
@ ndu chucks. Shehu ndu seems you have caught a shut eye. Hope you will do better this time around. But what is this your fixation with innuendo about my identity. What is your fixation about intellectual superiority. It is clearly a psychological projection of intellectual inferiority. Haha.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 2:25am On Jul 25, 2011
houvest:

@katsumoto. Your conspiracy theory about Zik being the coup master mind is actually laughable. The man must have been a genius to actually do that and get away with it. Not only that most of the honours he got from Nigeria has been from the northern military goons. Who after seeing all the intelligence reports went ahead to make him the most immortalised nigerian. Sorry pal. You can do better than that. I'm actually laughing away at such a theory.

I see that you ignored most of the facts I presented; instead you are alleging a conspiracy theory. Let us imagine for a second that it is a theory; what is your position on the facts I presented?

ndu_chucks:

I smell Bros Dede up in here! Apart from moi, only Dede1 one can hold an arguement with Katzumoto on the civil war, and end up without being badly bruised. I submit that I am the only one tough enough to put that Katz of a guy in his place. I thrash him regularly.  cheesy

You are a very funny chap. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 2:26am On Jul 25, 2011
Well, I'm sure few months down this issue will be revisited with a new post.

It is clear to us in West that a coalition of the unwilling is not the way forward in our aspirations. It never was, but thanks to Britain.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 2:28am On Jul 25, 2011
I'm sorry, but does anyone with a rational mind ever take Dede1's blabbering seriously?

Ahahaa, the dude just jumbles "big words" together without any sense in the final sentences. .
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by jason123: 2:35am On Jul 25, 2011
^^^^ I have stopped replying to that guy's post. He ALWAYS makes no sense. All he does is to lump "big" words together to feel smart with himself but after taken your time to read his message, you'll end up being ashamed of our university system. WHAT AN A55!!! cheesy
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by RoadStar: 2:36am On Jul 25, 2011

As in January, the coup did not take off in the east or mid-west (where no troops were stationed). However, Lt-Col Murtala Muhammed repeatedly sent signals for northern soldiers in Enugu to complete the coup in the Eastern region. Some northern officers attempted to break into the Enugu armoury but were overpowered. The failure of the coup in the east created a stalemate [/b]similar to the one that existed in January 1966 when Nzeogwu was in control of the north, while Ironsi had the south. [b]This time, the counter-coup had succeeded in every region other than the east. The desire of the northern officers to extend the coup to the east led to the civil war, and the war itself may be regarded as a continuation of that coup. Only in January 1970 did northern troops gain control of the east (and by extension the whole of Nigeria) and finish the counter-coup after a four year stalemate.

hmmm Interesting insight !
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by RoadStar: 2:45am On Jul 25, 2011
I believe the same feeling that lead to the counter-coup is begining to play up again.
Fear of southern domination.
The whole boko haram debacle seems to be a sheilded uprising by the north.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 2:47am On Jul 25, 2011
RoadStar:

hmmm Interesting insight !

What is insightful about that? A coup is successful when the plotters not only effect a change of government but also acquire power. Must the plotters kill people in every region before it is successful? If we are to use that analogy, then a coup isn't successful until the plotters enter every household. Or perhaps Max Siollun was suggesting that the coup was not successful in the East because no Igbo IN THE EAST was killed. Did the plotters state that their objective was to kill every Igbo soldier?

Negro_Ntns:

Well, I'm sure few months down this issue will be revisited with a new post.

It is clear to us in West that a coalition of the unwilling is not the way forward in our aspirations. It never was, but thanks to Britain.

You can count on it and if I have the time, I will be there.  grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by jason123: 2:48am On Jul 25, 2011
RoadStar:

I believe the same feeling that lead to the counter-coup is begining to play up again.
Fear of southern domination.
The whole boko haram debacle seems to be a sheilded uprising by the north.

No, its not.
This a TOTALLY different scenario. The current issue is about political power not domination (which can be equivalent to economic domination).
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 3:20am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

You can count on it and if I have the time, I will be there.  grin

Best believe i will be there as well. wink. . .
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 25, 2011
Chyz*:

If only your presence mattered. grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 3:26am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto you always try to make the Igbo look like they are the bad guys in this situation. Even though the counter-coup was more brutal than the first coup which targeted people within leadership positions. You give a pass to those who committed heinous acts of brutality with RELIGIOUS undertones to it. Shame on you! Do you support the pogroms that occurred after the counter-coup by you giving a pass to the Northerners?

Your history of events is filled with revisionism. That it places the blame solely on the Ndigbo. With your generalized statements that is nothing but pure BS.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 3:30am On Jul 25, 2011
EzeUche:

Katsumoto you always try to make the Igbo look like they are the bad guys in this situation. Even though the counter-coup was more brutal than the first coup which targeted people within leadership positions. You give a pass to those who committed heinous acts of brutality with RELIGIOUS undertones to it. Shame on you! Do you support the pogroms that occurred after the counter-coup by you giving a pass to the Northerners?

Your history of events is filled with revisionism. That it places the blame solely on the Ndigbo. With your generalized statements that is nothing but pure BS.

please who should be blamed for the civil war?

answer objectivly and do not insult
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 3:33am On Jul 25, 2011
Chyz*:

Most threads and sections on NL have their resident trolls.  cool

Ileke-IdI:

If only your presence mattered.  grin

Help me ask the guy. They asked for wild dogs; chihuahua sef dey raise hand.  grin

EzeUche:

Why don't you provide a rebuttal to the facts and analyses that I presented instead of resorting to an unnecessary and emotional outburst. The facts are on this thread; what is your position?

If you are not satisfied, you can conclude that I am a Northern apologist.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 3:33am On Jul 25, 2011
alj harem:

please who should be blamed for the civil war?

answer objectivly and do not insult

Of course Nigeria should be blamed for the Civil War, by invading the Eastern Region. That invasion was an act of war by any accounts. If a nation cannot protect its citizens, then the citizens have a right to declare their own nation.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by EzeUche(m): 3:35am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Why don't you provide a rebuttal to the facts and analyses that I presented instead of resorting to an unnecessary and emotional outburst. The facts are on this thread; what is your position?

If you are not satisfied, you can conclude that I am a Northern apologist.

Stop with your conjectural BS. Your knowledge of history is slanted Mr. Northern Apologist.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 3:38am On Jul 25, 2011
LMAO @ Kat

O ti o!! grin grin grin grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 3:39am On Jul 25, 2011
EzeUche:

Of course Nigeria should be blamed for the Civil War, by invading the Eastern Region. That invasion was an act of war by any accounts. If a nation cannot protect its citizens, then the citizens have a right to declare their own nation.
 ok correct, a nation should be able to protect it's citizens but at that time WE WERE JUST A NATION ONLY ABOUT 10 YEARS OLD. Moreover were regional thus it was more like a confederation of nations in a Nation

so after the killing of the northern and western leaders happen (which i agree it was still peaceful) the igbo traders SHOULD NOT HAVE REJOICE AND GLOAT about them ruling nigeria

Lastly, YOU DO NOT INVADE PEOPLE. Ijaws are doing the same now and it would not end well. You should never invade people.

Now that the war is been over ofr 40 yrs now. CAN WE MOVE ON IN BUILDING A NATION.

we keep revisting this time after time after time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha, Uche Nwosu Organize Protest Against APC (Photos) / Transition C’ttee: Buhari Insists On Credible Persons As Bakare Heads Screening / Picture Of Buhari And His Men As They Arrive Paris Has Got People Fascinated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.