Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! (65531 Views)

Buhari’s First Speech After The Military Coup Of 31st December 1983 / Names Of 1966 Coup Plotters.judge For Your Self & Say If It Was An Igbo Coup / Revisiting History: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 10:03pm On Jul 24, 2011
I know katz,

But what does it matter if the numbers were even Yoruba/Igbo and latter diverted the plan meant to be broad into spot-assasination?

Its the principle, not the number. But I'm with you on the ratio.

Reminder to Igbos who offer Ademoyega as a buffer for their culpability, I want to share with you that the reprisal was for the end result and not for the plan.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by henry101(m): 10:18pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

Correction, there was one non-Igbo plotter, Ademoyega.

Dnt be a liar.

Who were these men and why were they detained?
Lt. Fola Oyewole
Capt. Ganiyu Adeleke.
Lt. Olahimefun

Also, why do you react so fast to discredit Ademoyega when He said It's not an Igbo coup. Are you more Yoruba than him or were you involved in putting off the coup?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by bkbabe97y(m): 10:42pm On Jul 24, 2011
Ibos: No matter your attempt to revise history, THE WORLD KNOWS THE TRUTH, You can try tho but I tell u, its a futile attempt!!!

You guys never learn thats ur problem. Plus yall a buncha evil, greedy and sadistic group. 2012-2015 aint looking too pretty for u guys either. . . . but ur just too shortsighted to see!!!

Adieu.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 10:43pm On Jul 24, 2011
henry101:

Dnt be a liar.

Who were these men and why were they detained?
Lt. Fola Oyewole
Capt. Ganiyu Adeleke.
Lt. Olahimefun

Also, why do you react so fast to discredit Ademoyega when He said It's not an Igbo coup. Are you more Yoruba than him or were you involved in putting off the coup?

I apologise in advance but it appears that you have issues with comprehension. They participated in the coup in so far as they were following orders. They were not involved in the planning of the coup. If you bother to read any of the articles or books on the coup, then you will ascertain that many of those involved in the execution were unaware they were partaking in a coup until the final hour. Are some of you so bent on including others that you ignore the obvious? I have already given an example of a Yoruba soldier that was killed by Nzeogwu for not following orders. If I am wrong, then I challenge you to produce any literature that lists the three soldiers above as coup planners.

You were expecting Ademoyega to say anything different? lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by nduchucks: 10:54pm On Jul 24, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I know katz,

But what does it matter if the numbers were even Yoruba/Igbo and latter diverted the plan meant to be broad into spot-assasination?

Its the principle, not the number. But I'm with you on the ratio.

Reminder to Igbos who offer Ademoyega as a buffer for their culpability, I want to share with you that the reprisal was for the end result and not for the plan.

^^^+100

It is abundantly clear to us that these known NL revisionists would go out of their way to obfuscate their culpability in the issue at hand with unimportant information, such as the number of Igbo participants in the coup. Its a dumb attempt on their part, to shift the focus from the end result, to the plan itself. We are not fooled once again.

They want to bury their heads in the sand again. duk dan tselewa, Rakumin daji. lol, mo ti wound won pelu ebu! smiley
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Relax101(m): 11:07pm On Jul 24, 2011
Katsumoto:

I apologise in advance but it appears that you have issues with comprehension. They participated in the coup in so far as they were following orders. They were not involved in the planning of the coup. If you bother to read any of the articles or books on the coup, then you will ascertain that[b] many[/b] of those involved in the execution were unaware they were partaking in a coup until the final hour. Are some of you so bent on including others that you ignore the obvious? I have already given an example of a Yoruba soldier that was killed by Nzeogwu for not following orders. If I am wrong, then I challenge you to produce any literature that lists the three soldiers above as coup planners.

You were expecting Ademoyega to say anything different? lipsrsealed

Do you please have a list of the "many"?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 11:09pm On Jul 24, 2011
Relax101:

relax 101 are you alj harem shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 11:11pm On Jul 24, 2011
ndu_chucks:

^^^+100

It is abundantly clear to us that these known NL revisionists would go out of their way to obfuscate their culpability in the issue at hand with unimportant information, such as the number of Igbo participants in the coup. Its a dumb attempt on their part, to shift the focus from the end result, to the plan itself. We are not fooled once again.

They want to bury their heads in the sand again. duk dan tselewa, Rakumin daji. lol, mo ti wound won pelu ebu! smiley

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin with the smile at the end grin grin grin grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Relax101(m): 11:13pm On Jul 24, 2011
alj harem:

relax 101 are you alj harem shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by aljharem(m): 11:19pm On Jul 24, 2011
Relax101:

No still henry101.
henry101 cant sign in now.

henry101 is alj harem, fact
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Relax101(m): 11:22pm On Jul 24, 2011
alj harem:

henry101 is alj harem, fact

Hahaha u dey mad every sunday,
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 11:23pm On Jul 24, 2011
Relax101:

Bear in mind that there is a distinction between those involved in the planning and those involved by circumstance.

Majors
Ifeajuna
Nzeogwu
Okafor
Anuforo
Chukwuka
Aghaya
Onwuatuegwu
Ademoyega
Chude-Sokei
Obienu

Captains
Gbulie
Nwobosi
Oji
Udeaja
Ude

Lieutenants
Oyewole
Adeleke
Ezeigbo

Second Lieutenants
Azubuogor
Nwokocha
Ojukwu
Onyefuru
Igweze
Egbibor
Olafimihan
Ngwuluka
Nweke
Ikejiofor

NB. Major Aghaya was also arrested but his involvement remains indeterminate. He wasn't involved in the execution but he was aware of the coup

Relax101:

No still henry101.
henry101 cant sign in now.

If you had the list of the plotters, what was the point in asking for it?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by seanet02: 11:29pm On Jul 24, 2011
God bless Katsumoto!

3 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by birdman(m): 11:32pm On Jul 24, 2011
seanet02:

God bless Katsumoto!

For real.

1 Like

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 11:37pm On Jul 24, 2011
duk dan tselewa, Rakumin daji. lol, mo ti wound won pelu ebu!

Ndu_chuks,

Ma da won lohun, ya yan'iska marasa hankali!
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Relax101(m): 11:40pm On Jul 24, 2011
Where do you put John Atom Kpera from Benue who was from the former north province?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by jmaine: 12:04am On Jul 25, 2011
Heart wrenching reveals  cry cry  . . . . Ma grandma still blames the north brutal reprisal aside the selective assassination of prominent political figures of other tribes . . .Majorly On the jubilation in the eastern part . . .with mock calenders/drawings depicting how those eminent citizens were gruesomely murdered even with severed heads amongst the pics being sold to gleeful buyers . . . No one would see that and not go loco . . .The Northern class were startled by the heinous event and the huge support it drew from Eastern region . . So they felt a deciding blow must be unleashed on the perpetrators or anything linked to them . .  to act as deterrents and safe guard their supremacy . . . . . 

Nigeria has shed enough blood already in her history and is still shedding more  cry cry  . . And it appears the root cause of distrust among us is still plaguing us . . .

Anyway, Your arguments for and against is very interesting. . . and educating . . .   wink 

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 25, 2011
Oya, I did not take a break to stare at an in-active thread. Plz continue!

A Northerner and a SWner would be the death of some ppl here.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 12:26am On Jul 25, 2011
Relax101:

Where do you put John Atom Kpera from Benue who was from the former north province?

Operation Damissa (NMTC Training exercise) finished at approximately 1.30 AM on the morning of the coup. After the completion of the coup, Nzeogwu (training officer) called a meeting in the bush with the officers involved except for those in field battery NAA. Those that attended believed they were going to discuss the training exercise. Nzeogwu then informed them about the situation in the country and that they were about to be engaged in a coup. He then proceeded to tell these officers their tasks that morning of the coup. 2nd Leuitenants that were present were

Kpera
Ileabachi
Ogoegbunam Ibik
Okafor
Ezedima 
Eghagha
Waribor
Omeruah

Not everyone that participated in the coup was arrested. I believe that the Army decided to either arrest or release based on involvement. I believe that those who could prove that they were following orders or were used for mundane tasks such as setting roadbloacks, manning radio stations, etc. weren't arrested. This is why their names are included in the official special branch report but missing from the list of plotters.

seanet02:

God bless Katsumoto!

Amen
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Rhino5dm: 12:28am On Jul 25, 2011
Ha ha ha! Yet again the 'alaba spare-part tribal goats' failed to distort the fact that their fathers were no difference from their present self, . .Karma is a byyytch.

Offically i can now see the big picture why the northerner will quickly want to kill any Igbo when there is little mis-understanding and why the diabolic SE always want to drag the SW into their greediness.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 12:48am On Jul 25, 2011
@ katsumoto. I do agree with you about the benefit of new info and that it gives clearer picture of those events but the issue is which info and from what source? New info can be helpful but can also be doctored to support the views of the provider. If you believe that max accounts are credible? It still beats me that you refuse to accept his evidence that the jan coup had no ethnic agenda. It beats me further why you keep presenting ademoyega as a pawn when the man who just died recently and at 74 and with the benefit of all the new info never ever changed his story as one of the 3 ring leaders of jan 66 and even went ahead to document his stand in a trilogy for posterity. Please help us with links to support your assertions over ademoyega's books.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by NegroNtns(m): 12:59am On Jul 25, 2011
Houvest,

Let's begin the root cause analysis at the drawing table.

What was the goal of the coup and who were the drafters of that goal?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by henry101(m): 1:11am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Operation Damissa (NMTC Training exercise) finished at approximately 1.30 AM on the morning of the coup. After the completion of the coup, Nzeogwu (training officer) called a meeting in the bush with the officers involved except for those in field battery NAA. Those that attended believed they were going to discuss the training exercise. Nzeogwu then informed them about the situation in the country and that they were about to be engaged in a coup. He then proceeded to tell these officers their tasks that morning of the coup. 2nd Leuitenants that were present were

Kpera
Ileabachi
Ogoegbunam Ibik
Okafor
Ezedima 
Eghagha
Waribor
Omeruah

Not everyone that participated in the coup was arrested. I believe that the Army decided to either arrest or release based on involvement. I believe that those who could prove that they were following orders or were used for mundane tasks such as setting roadbloacks, manning radio stations, etc. weren't arrested. This is why their names are included in the official special branch report but missing from the list of plotters.

Amen

Now you have stated what you feel is right and correct to suit you. There are different accounts to what you just wrote but I wont be "quoting" and "unquoting" this time. Anyways nice try.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 1:11am On Jul 25, 2011
@jmaine. Many stories have been told to justify the killing off 60,000 innocent men women and children in cold blood. Many will still be told. Pray how come not one not even one of the calendars in your granny's story survived for us to see. You are talking of a printed document not an oral evidence. Did you see any of those pictures? Has any person on nl seen one both old and young? How come all the calendars miraculously disappeared the same way they appeared. All these granny stories cannot heal the wound on the conscience of the nation as well as all the rationalisations about the rightness of the scale of the volume of blood poured away in the name vengeance,  Nuff said.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 1:19am On Jul 25, 2011
houvest:

@ katsumoto. I do agree with you about the benefit of new info and that it gives clearer picture of those events but the issue is which info and from what source? New info can be helpful but can also be doctored to support the views of the provider. If you believe that max accounts are credible? It still beats me that you refuse to accept his evidence that the jan coup had no ethnic agenda. It beats me further why you keep presenting ademoyega as a pawn when the man who just died recently and at 74 and with the benefit of all the new info never ever changed his story as one of the 3 ring leaders of jan 66 and even went ahead to document his stand in a trilogy for posterity. Please help us with links to support your assertions over ademoyega's books.

At the end of the day, each man must analyse the facts and reach a conclusion. I welcome the facts presented by Max, Nowa Omoigui, Ademoyega, Gbulie, and other historians. However, I must reach a conclusion for myself based on the facts. The facts include motive and execution of the coup.

FACTS

Motive
The constitutional conference of January 1965 in which Zik was told the extent of his powers by the military service chiefs after Zik called the Army to intervene following his stand-off with Balewa

Facts
1. Zik was absent from Nigeria when the coup took place saying that he needed to rest. His personal physician abandoned him in the Caribbean. More worryingly, Zik preferred to be on holiday while Nigeria hosted for the first time, the Commonwealth Prime Minister's conference
2. The composition of the victims - mainly Northerners and Westerners
3. The composition of the plotters - overwhelmingly Igbo
4. The opportunist attitude of Igbo politicians after the coup failed. NCNC members wanted Mbadiwe to take over as Prime Minister despite the fact that NCNC was the junior partner in the coalition with NPC. With the rejection of Mbadiwe by NPC, rightly stating that there nominated Dip Charima, should take over as PM. With no progress in the deadlock, Nwafor Orizu preferred to hand over to Ironsi on the instructions of Zik who was on 'holiday'.
5. Nzeogwu's interview with Dennis Ejindu where Nzeogwu stated that the execution of the coup in the South was tribalistic

http://maxsiollun./2008/02/20/interview-with-major-nzeogwu/

6. After murdering Balewa and some of his colleagues, Ifeajuna proceeded to have a meeting with the premier of the East, Michael Okpara, in Enugu before escaping to Ghana.
7. Captain Nwobosi stated that Zik was tipped-off by Ifeajuna. But how did Nwobosi know whether Zik was part of the plan if Ifeajuna concocted the plan and Nwobosi himself was recruited two or three days before the coup? See Oil, politics and violence: Nigeria's military coup culture (1966-1976) By Max Siollun
8. Ironsi's inability to court-martial the plotters.

Allegation
It was alleged that Zik was Ifeajuna by Ajuluchukwu (Zik's NCNC chieftain)

The evidence is overwhelming in my view

2 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 1:21am On Jul 25, 2011
henry101:

Now you have stated what you feel is right and correct to suit you. There are different accounts to what you just wrote but I wont be "quoting" and "unquoting" this time. Anyways nice try.

What is your point? The other names are Igbo. Did I forget to list Kpera's name because I am from Benue or from the North or from Nigeria?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 1:22am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

Bear in mind that there is a distinction between those involved in the planning and those involved by circumstance.

Majors
Ifeajuna
Nzeogwu
Okafor
Anuforo
Chukwuka
Aghaya
Onwuatuegwu
Ademoyega
Chude-Sokei
Obienu

Captains
Gbulie
Nwobosi
Oji
Udeaja
Ude

Lieutenants
Oyewole
Adeleke
Ezeigbo

Second Lieutenants
Azubuogor
Nwokocha
Ojukwu
Onyefuru
Igweze
Egbibor
Olafimihan
Ngwuluka
Nweke
Ikejiofor

NB. Major Aghaya was also arrested but his involvement remains indeterminate. He wasn't involved in the execution but he was aware of the coup

If you had the list of the plotters, what was the point in asking for it?

This guy, you are a funny dude. You know that? Lol. If Aghaya was one of the Majors and was "aware" or the coup, that means he was involved in it. He's no less guilty then the others. Another thing @ the bolded in red, where exactly were those people from? Or which region were they from?
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by lagcity(m): 1:26am On Jul 25, 2011
EzeUche:

All problems could be traced to the crisis in the West. The North's use of Akintola to frustrate Awolowo created a crisis that struck the First Republic in a way that crippled the nation. That is not a lie. As much as you wish to deny that fact, the crisis in the West  began to spread to other regions. There is a reason why the term Wild Wild West came to be known for the former Western region.

thanks a lot ezeuche, i threw you a bait and you caught it. this was necessary because i knew you wouldn't be upfront if i brought up the meddling in western politics at first. the North didn't use Akintola, bello's NPC and Zik's NCNC used akintola as fifth column. Bello and Zik were very scared of AG and its radical members. thus they decided to throw a wrench in the AG. so Zik and bello's meddling in the politics of the west caused the wild wild west. if they had just minded their business, there wouldn't be wild wild west. scholars have already concluded on this issue that NCNC and NPC were very strange bed fellows: they weren't really seeing eye to eye and it was a marriage of convenience. these two parties joined together all because of fear of the AG. npc saw ncnc as the lesser evil and vice versa. please ezeuche, don't take my word for it. be intellectually honest enough to ask ppl who actually know this stuff. when i get the time, i'll give you a list of professors from the mid-west and eastern region who told it like it is. no sentiments please. i still have my question for you; was coup and unnecessary bloodshed the perfect solution to the wild wild west?

2 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by houvest: 1:26am On Jul 25, 2011
@negro. My discussion with katsumoto here has transcended that pedantic level. Please cue in to what we are discussing or just read and not contribute. If you want to start a chicken an egg session, please refer to others who may even take you to genesis 1 or much later to 1914 or even to 1960 or 63 wherever it pleases them. But if you want to participate intelligently in this discussion, why not continue from where we are now instead of asking me whether the chicken came before the egg or the other way. round. Hope you understand the parable . No offences intended.
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 25, 2011
lagcity:

thanks a lot ezeuche, i threw you a bait and you caught it. this was necessary because i knew you wouldn't be upfront if i brought up the meddling in western politics at first. the North didn't use Akintola, bello's NPC and Zik's NCNC used akintola as fifth column. Bello and Zik were very scared of AG and its radical members. thus they decided to throw a wrench in the AG. so Zik and bello's meddling in the politics of the west caused the wild wild west. if they had just minded their business, there wouldn't be wild wild west. scholars have already concluded on this issue that NCNC and NPC were very strange bed fellows: they weren't really seeing eye to eye and it was a marriage of convenience. these two parties joined together all because of fear of the AG. npc saw ncnc as the lesser evil and vice versa. please ezeuche, don't take my word for it. be intellectually honest enough to ask ppl who actually know this stuff. when i get the time, i'll give you a list of professors from the mid-west and eastern region who told it like it is. no sentiments please. i still have my question for you; was coup and unnecessary bloodshed the perfect solution to the wild wild west?

Clap clap. Keep it up. You guys are doing great grin
Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Katsumoto: 1:36am On Jul 25, 2011
Chyz*:

This guy, you are a funny dude. You know that? Lol. If Aghaya was one of the Majors and was "aware" or the coup, that means he was involved in it. He's no less guilty then the others. Another thing @ the bolded in red, where exactly were those people from? Or which region were they from?

You are yet to make the point you were trying to make initially now you are jumping onto another issue. The fact is that you can not convict someone without evidence. Aghaya's name is only there because he was suspected. Without evidence, he was released. The same with other junior officers. You keep focusing on silly and irrelevant points. Do you have any evidence to suggest that Aghaya was part of the plot. At least, there was evidence linking Obienu and Chude-Sokei to the coup. I am going to start ignoring you because you bring nothing to a debate other than constant idiocy. You are asking me where Ademoyega and Ifeajuna are from; Ifeajuna is from Kano and Ademoyega is from Cameroon. I hope my sarcasm is not lost on you.

2 Likes

Re: The Northern Counter-coup Of 1966: The Full Story Without Bias! by Chyz2: 1:37am On Jul 25, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are yet to make the point you were trying to make initially now you are jumping onto another issue. The fact is that you can not convict someone without evidence. Aghaya's name is only there because he was suspected. Without evidence, he was released. The same with other junior officers. You keep focusing on silly and irrelevant points. Do you have any evidence to suggest that Aghaya was part of the plot. At least, there was evidence linking Obienu and Chude-Sokei to the coup. I am going to start ignoring you because you bring nothing to a debate other than constant idiocy. You are asking me where Ademoyega and Ifeajuna are from; Ifeajuna is from Kano and Ademoyega is from Cameroon. I hope my sarcasm is not lost on you.

Still trying to figure out why you wrote the above,dude. Now, answer the question,k? wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha, Uche Nwosu Organize Protest Against APC (Photos) / Transition C’ttee: Buhari Insists On Credible Persons As Bakare Heads Screening / Picture Of Buhari And His Men As They Arrive Paris Has Got People Fascinated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.