Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,174 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Traditional Marriage And Divorce - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Traditional Marriage And Divorce (2669 Views)

Photos! If You Attended This Traditional Marriage What Would You Have Done. / Woman Turns Alien During Traditional Marriage In Enugu+pics / 2 Weeks to Traditional Marriage and she came up with this story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Marriage And Divorce by notsure(f): 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2010
when a man was married in a traditional marriage does he need to divorce to be legally free from the marriage?
I met this guy who was married in a traditional wedding and hes trying to tell me he doesn't have to divorce he just left the marriage. Is he still legally married to this women?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 07, 2010
under traditional laws and customs,he is married but LEGALLY he is not
Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by apples(f): 11:02pm On Aug 07, 2010
@notsure, I would like to send u a private message about ur question, but I don't know how to send it as I am new to the forum.

Thanks
Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by blank(f): 2:36am On Aug 08, 2010
He just needs to return her bride price or whatever they do in their culture to show divorce.

End of story.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by notsure(f): 2:45am On Aug 08, 2010
apples
Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by hbabe(f): 8:08am On Aug 08, 2010
Legally he is not married to her but traditionally he is married to her until her family returns bride price he paid and also perform some form of ceremony; where I come from the lady's family returns the dowry with kolanuts and a bottle of hot drink to the elders in the guy's family. A date is usually fixed for such ceremonies.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by apples(f): 2:06pm On Aug 08, 2010
Ok, hbabe has answered it. But If the marriage took place at the Registry where it is witnessed by family, documents signed and etc, you will need some type of divorce I believe. Is this correct hbabe , if you r familiar with it?.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Divorce by ukcatlover(m): 4:14pm On Aug 08, 2010
The same story happens to me, he is not legally married to you since you are outside Nigeria because it is only we Nigeria that take Traditional marries as real marriage.

But real marriage is either court or white marriage, there must be a marriage certificate. Did they give you any one in your traditional marriage? Well we both have the same case i am so sorry it really hurts. Maybe we have something in common can we know each other?

(1) (Reply)

Who Would You Like To Knock On Your Door Today? / I'm In Love With A Very Good Man, But I'm Losing It / 6 Secrets Of A Good God-fearing Husband/boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.