Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos (20686 Views)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos / Railways Revisited - The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:05pm On Aug 10, 2010
Southern people are not smart enough to use trains. bus passes are complex enough for them.

shocked shocked shocked grin grin. . .chei,na my girl ileke idi u dey yab so. . abi?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Stop that nonsense please. The NRC has been running since back in the 70's, I believe. We are not starting anything. What we claimed we were doing was improving and modernizing. PLease look into the news on this. It started back during the Yar adua Administration oooo. Trains have been running in Nigeria for at least 30 something years. We are not STARTING  . ,   
My gosh I loff this woman  grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by gozzilla(m): 4:05pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Stop that nonsense please. The NRC has been running since back in the 70's, I believe. We are not starting anything. What we claimed we were doing was improving and modernizing. PLease look into the news on this. It started back during the Yar adua Administration oooo. Trains have been running in Nigeria for at least 30 something years. We are not STARTING  . ,  

Typical Kobo. We truly are not starting but we better be starting.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 4:07pm On Aug 10, 2010
Blame GE? Over my dead body . .  this is the government, finito!

i guess the government is considering quantity over quality.   they can't be any worse than the deathtraps they have in india.

paddy_lo:

shocked shocked shocked grin grin. . .chei,na my girl ileke idi u dey yab so. . abi?

i would apologize if she cooks soul food for me
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:07pm On Aug 10, 2010
gozzilla:

Typical Kobo. We truly are not starting but we better be starting.

Dude, we were promised something better. At least demand your money's worth, not cower and make excuses so you can be happy with being fleeced everytime. GROW SOME ballz please!! lol
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:08pm On Aug 10, 2010
bawomolo:

i guess the government is considering quantity over quality. they can't be any worse than the deathtraps they have in india.

No Comment!!! ROFLMAO!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 10, 2010
@bawomolo

get out! angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:11pm On Aug 10, 2010
i would apologize if she cooks soul food for me

No problem. . but she will have to branch philly first on her way to See u in chicago. . .

@Ileke -idi

I will send u an amtrak train ticket hon. . .since u never ridden in one before. . .

One way stop to philly of course
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:12pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobo, i think you need to relax.

some of us are old enough to know all about the NRC.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by marcus1234: 4:12pm On Aug 10, 2010
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Aug 10, 2010
Carlosein:

Kobo, i think you need to relax.

some of us are old enough to know all about the NRC.

From the statements you posted on this, I seriously doubt that.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 4:14pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Dude, we were promised something better. At least demand your money's worth, not cower and make excuses so you can be happy with being fleeced everytime. GROW SOME ballz please!! lol

These are modern locomotive okay. It doesnt matter how they look. here is a link to a GE article. read it and also play the audio. its new with modern technology. . .so why the bashing?

http://www.gereports.com/so-long-to-the-70s-as-ge-locomotives-arrive-in-nigeria/
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:15pm On Aug 10, 2010
kobo, again i say 'relax'.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:19pm On Aug 10, 2010
Carlosein:

kobo, again i say 'relax'.
If you have nothing to say, it is OK not to post at all. Telling me to 'relax' does not change what you have posted at all.

GAR3TH:

These are modern locomotive okay. It doesnt matter how they look. here is a link to a GE article. read it and also play the audio. its new with modern technology. . .so why the bashing?

http://www.gereports.com/so-long-to-the-70s-as-ge-locomotives-arrive-in-nigeria/

Do a search on the keywords 'GE C25 Locomotive'  in google . . . wonder why most every reference is to Nigeria?  Can you please explain that too?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:20pm On Aug 10, 2010
OK this is to adress the ignorant junkie screaming up and down,without making much sense. . pls read the damn article. . These locomotives were built brand new for Nigeria by GE. . the problem with Nigeria is our narrow gauge tracks. . even if u import tokunboh locomotives like u ignorantly claim from AMTRAK,they will not run on Nigerian tracks. . geez.  , when ppl tell u are are all sound and fury signifying nothing u think they are insulting u. . .read the damn article,b4 making noise like an empty barrel

[size=14pt]New Locomotives Will Run for Next 50 Years - GE[/size]

Chidi Ugwu[b]15 February 2010[/b]

Lagos — [size=13pt]General Electric (GE) has said that the five new locomotive engines supplied to Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) would be running for next 50 years even it disclosed that the balance of 20 new locos would be delivered before the end of the second quarter.

GE Representative in Nigeria, Mr. Larry Angbazo who made the assertion described the C25-EMPD locos as world class adding that GE is prepared to go into long term service agreement to ensure adequate maintenance of the locos.
[/size]

[size=13pt]"This is the first time I am seeing new locomotives in Nigeria soil, we conducted extensive study of Nigerian railway and came up with the best locomotives for the country, these locos will run for the next 50 years"[/size] he said.

[size=13pt]Nigerian Railway Corporation recently took delivery of the first five C25 diesel locomotives - introducing new technology to Nigeria's rail system. The locomotives will be used for both freight and passenger service. The remaining 20 locomotives will be delivered in the second half of 2010.

The Model C25 six-axle locomotives (photo left) were built by GE Transportation South America, GE Transportation's affiliate facility located in Brazil. The locomotives feature GE's reliable 7FDL 12-cylinder, 2,500 horsepower engine that was supplied by GE Transportation's diesel engine manufacturing plant in Grove City, USA. The locomotives were designed specifically to accommodate Nigeria's weight per axle and clearance characteristics
[/size].

GE Transportation South America has built GE diesel electric locomotives including AC44, Dash 9 and the C Series in Brazil since 1967, and has produced more than 1,000 locomotives, operating in over 15 countries around the world. Locomotives similar to the C25 are already successfully hauling freight in South Africa. Approximately 17,000 GE locomotives are in use in more than 50 countries around the world.

Lorenzo Simonelli, President and CEO of GE Transportation, said:

[size=14pt]"We are excited today with the arrival of the first locomotives as this represents an important step in GE Transportation's entry into the Nigerian market place. GE experts performed an extensive analysis on Nigeria's narrow-gauge railway network, haulage requirements and traffic patterns to determine the best-fit locomotive[/size]. We are honored to support the country's rail infrastructure growth and are looking forward to working with our Nigerian partners."

GE has a long-standing relationship with Nigeria in other sectors such as energy, aviation, and oil & gas, with over 170 employees in country. In May last year, GE and the Federal Republic of Nigeria signed a landmark "Country to Company" agreement aimed at promoting greater collaboration between GE and Nigerian public and private sector organizations that are driving critical infrastructure projects across the country. Nigeria is looking to improve energy, water, rail, healthcare, security and aviation under its Vision 2020 economic blueprint.

Established more than 100 years ago, GE Transportation, a unit of General Electric Company (NYSE: GE), is a global technology leader and supplier to the railroad, marine, drilling, and mining and wind industries. GE Transportation provides freight and passenger locomotives, signaling and communications systems, information technology solutions, marine engines, motorized drive systems for mining trucks and drills, high-quality replacement parts and value added services. GE Transportation is headquartered in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA, and employs approximately 8,000 employees worldwide. [size=14pt]Nigerian Railway Corporation operates a network of 3,505 kilometers (2,178 mi) of single-track lines, all have 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in) gauge.[/size]

http://allafrica.com/stories/201002150339.html
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by ezeagu(m): 4:21pm On Aug 10, 2010
The models will be used for both freight and passenger services. The trains are used in South Africa for freight. The model is the GE C5 Six-axel. It runs at 2,500hp.

Erie, Penn., USA and Lagos, Nigeria (February 5, 2010) - The Nigerian Ministry of Transport and GE Transportation announced today that the Nigerian Railway Corporation has taken delivery of the first five C25 diesel locomotives – introducing new technology to Nigeria’s rail system. The locomotives will be used for both freight and passenger service. The remaining 20 locomotives will be delivered in the second half of 2010.

http://www.getransportation.com/na/en/docs/3238819_1267039926_Nigeria%20Locomotives.pdf

On 5 February, it was announced jointly by the Nigerian ministry of transport and GE Transportation that the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has taken delivery of the first five new C25 six-axle diesel-electric locomotives. The balance of the order for 25 units, intended for both freight and passenger service, is to be shipped during the second half of 2010.

. . . .

GE Transportation South America has built GE diesel-electric locomotives including AC44, Dash 9 and the C Series in Brazil since 1967, and has produced more than 1,000 locomotives, operating in over 15 countries around the world. Locomotives similar to the C25 are currently hauling freight in South Africa. Altogether, approximately 17,000 GE locomotives are in use in more than 50 countries around the world.

http://www.railwaysafrica.com/2010/02/new-ge-locos-for-nigeria-2/

There's more details on the engine and speed of the train in the above link.

Here's the thing, if Nigeria had bought trains for the era of the Industrial Revolution, we would all be made to look like baddies when we pointed out its low quality, even in a passing remark. There will always be a band of loyal super patriots that will not see anything wrong in Nigeria, the same country that is currently mingling with the most failed of the nations in every aspect imaginable, and they will defend it at all cost, so whatever. undecided
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 4:22pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Do a search on the keywords 'GE C25 Locomotive'  in google . . . wonder why most every reference is to Nigeria?   Can you please explain that too?

Thats becuase the GE C25 was custom made just for nigeria.

The Model C25 six-axle locomotives were built by GE Transportation South America, GE Transportation’s affiliate facility located in Brazil. The locomotives feature GE’s 7FDL 12-cylinder, 2,500 horsepower engine, which was supplied by GE Transportation’s diesel engine manufacturing plant in Grove City, Pa. The locomotives were designed specifically to accommodate Nigeria’s weight per axle and clearance characteristics.

Lorenzo Simonelli, president and CEO of GE Transportation, said, “We are excited today with the arrival of the first locomotives as this represents an important step in GE Transportation’s entry into the Nigerian market place. GE experts performed an extensive analysis on Nigeria’s narrow-gauge railway network, haulage requirements and traffic patterns to determine the best-fit locomotive. We are honored to support the country’s rail infrastructure growth and are looking forward to working with our Nigerian partners.”

http://www.railresource.com/content/?p=471
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Aug 10, 2010
GAR3TH:

Thats becuase the GE C25 was custom made just for nigeria.

Aarrggh!! I expected you to have something wonderful to say in that light too. So, why are we then comparing it to locomotives around the world then? Even worse, why compare it to trains which appear to be better? If in Nigeria's case, all we need is something that works, and not much else?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:26pm On Aug 10, 2010
@GARTH

Why do u even bother bro. . .didnt she just ignorantly allege in the other page,that these were hand me downs/tokunbo from amtrak that we bought?

Now she is worried about why its only found in Nigeria

well which one is it,cause it cant be both. . .

sometimes ppl argue and turn themselves into twists and knots,without making an iota of sense

But they still like to contribute to every thread in Nairaland,spewing rubbish as they go
cool
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Aug 10, 2010
[size=13pt]ROFLMAO!! [/size]
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by gozzilla(m): 4:27pm On Aug 10, 2010
Now some facts are coming out. Oya counter facts.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by bkbabe97y(m): 4:29pm On Aug 10, 2010
WHEN ARE WE GONNA TALK ABOUT BIAFRAN TRAINS?!!?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:29pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Aarrggh!! I expected you to have something wonderful to say in that light too. So, why are we then comparing it to locomotives around the world then?

i think we should ask you that.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Aarrggh!! I expected you to have something wonderful to say in that light too. So, why are we then comparing it to locomotives around the world then?

lol becuase some of your ignorant apprentices said they dont use locomotive in the modern world.

@paddy_lo

LoL i do it becuase i dont want her ignorance spreading to other nairalanders. cool
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:31pm On Aug 10, 2010
i think we should ask you that.

[size=20pt]"GE experts performed an extensive analysis on Nigeria's narrow-gauge railway network, haulage requirements and traffic patterns to determine the best-fit locomotive."[/size]

maybe this will get into her thick skull but i doubt that though. . . cool
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:33pm On Aug 10, 2010
ezeagu:

The models will be used for both freight and passenger services. The trains are used in South Africa for freight. The model is the GE C5 Six-axel. It runs at 2,500hp.

There's more details on the engine and speed of the train in the above link.

Here's the thing, if Nigeria had bought trains for the era of the Industrial Revolution, we would all be made to look like baddies when we pointed out its low quality, even in a passing remark. There will always be a band of loyal super patriots that will not see anything wrong in Nigeria, the same country that is currently mingling with the most failed of the nations in every aspect imaginable, and they will defend it at all cost, so whatever. undecided

Anywhoo, have anyone been able to find data comparing this with any of the modern fleets out there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_rolling_stock
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:36pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Anywhoo, have anyone been able to find data comparing this with any of the modern fleets out there?

How does that contribute to its 'workability' in nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Aug 10, 2010

Nice one @Carlosein, so as long as the train moves, that is all, no matter how much we spend on it in the year 2010?

Take a look at the trains this was compared to earlier . . .I posted a wiki link to info on some of them.  Check out the engine specs and horsepower on those to know the difference.

I was hoping I would also be able to compare the specs on this new train with those of our old trains to check if there is really much of a difference but I have yet to find meaningful info on the specs of those. But I will definitely continue searching.

Check out info on GE Trains and their years on here. Pay particular attention to the six-axles list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GE_locomotives
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by ezeagu(m): 4:39pm On Aug 10, 2010

This looks like the national model for Nigeria's railways because it's on the official banner of the Nigerian Railway Corporation website.

http://www.nrc-ng.org

So much for pictures of the Amtrak, these trains Nigeria ordered just nearly run at half their speed. The pictures of Amtrak trains posted are probably the GE Genesis, some of these run at 3,200 hp and some are even 4,250 horsepower, remember that Nigeria's GE trains run at 2,500 horsepower. It's hard to find anything on tracks now running under 3000hp, that is National lines. The bottom line is that for Nigeria's size and supposed status, these trains are "a start", undecided but they are simply not good enough.

4,250 horsepower P42DC
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by ezeagu(m): 4:47pm On Aug 10, 2010
Anyway, I don't think all this matters much, whether it's freight or not, half the speed of the state-of-the-art, Nigeria has got trains that will get people from A to B.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 4:50pm On Aug 10, 2010
@bawomolo

get out!

@Ileke

ema- binu. . . kiss
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Nice one @Carlosein, so as long as the train moves, that is all, no matter how much we spend on it in the year 2010?

i didn't say that.

Kobojunkie:

Take a look at the trains this was compared to earlier . . .I posted a wiki link to info on some of them.  Check out the engine specs and horsepower on those to know the difference.

I was hoping I would also be able to compare the specs on this new train with those of our old trains to check if there is really much of a difference but I have yet to find meaningful info on the specs of those. But I will definitely continue searching.

Check out info on GE Trains and their years on here. Pay particular attention to the six-axles list

are you that jobless? all these to win an argument?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Overtakes Saudi Arabia, Russia As Largest Oil Producer / Naira Depreciates Marginally Against Dollar / Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.