Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,123 members, 7,953,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:54 PM

Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos (20841 Views)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos / Railways Revisited - The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So, wait  . . .  back up a minute . .  SOMEONE ELSE COMPARED Nigeria WITH US, and I POINTED out that the comparison was baseless since even the US was looking to UPGRADE Their OLD TRAINS( note: we(nigeria) are just now BUYING what they(US/Canada/Europe/etc) already consider OLD), and you somehow concluded I AM COMPARING NIGERIA WITH AMERICA?

ROFLMAO!!!

EVEN worse, you somehow ignored all those who ACTUALLY compared Nigerias brand new 2500HP machines( which is in GE's 1970's model list) to American/European machines running at 3500 HP and above( most of which were purchased back in the 70's) only so you could attack me on BASELESS claims?

[size=13pt]ROFLMAO!![/size]

for your brain's sake, STOP already  . . . lol
There is the condescending comparisons again!!

Yea even if it's from the 12century, if we show good managing ability, we can go get fancier looking ones like you want. You've opened a much wider door to your mind and it only has one empty dark room in it. I concluded. All your posts on this site, I have followed and it seem  even when you are stating a solution,  you do so subconsciously while being condescending. I wish they'll return you to the nation you so much despise. I'm not a fan of Nigeria for a bit but I don't become hypercritical like you! To assimilate in America doesn't mean you have to show unnecessary dissatisfaction with your country on every front!!! Quit it!!

When did you become a woo girl? using "ROFLMAO" after each paragraph? I'm sure you are like 15years older than me but I find your new habit childish and immature.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 9:10pm On Aug 10, 2010
Federal Govt Awards Abuja-Kaduna Rail Contract for N140 Billion

Abuja — The Federal Government has awarded the contract for the modernisation of the Abuja to Kaduna railway for the sum of $875m to Chinese firm, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC), with Messrs TEAM Nig. Ltd as Consultants.

It would be recalled that the entire contract from Lagos - Kano was initially awarded by former President Olusegun Obasanjo in October 2006 for the sum of $8.3bn, but was suspended by President Yar'Adua upon assumption of office, due to irregularities in the contract agreement.

Speaking yesterday at the contract signing ceremony in Abuja, Minister of Transport, Alhaji Ibrahim Isa Bio, disclosed that the contract, with an initial sum of $8.3billion, had to be reviewed due to the huge cost of the project and the absence of a funding plan.

He said the present administration's decision to review the project led to the setting up of an Inter-Ministerial Committee by President Yar'Adua, to re-negotiate and re-scope the project, which consequently according to him, culminated in the re-scoping of the project into five segments on "Stand-Alone Basis" .The segments are, Lagos - Ibadan, Ibadan - Ilorin, Ilorin - Minna, Abuja - Kaduna, and Minna - Kano.

Speaking further, Bio said the Abuja - Kaduna segment covering a total of 186 km is the Phase 1, Segment 1, of the Kano - Lagos railway modernisation project, costing a total of $875m. He said the project is expected to be funded by the Nigerian government, with a concessionary loan of $500m by CCECC, adding that contract for the second segment of the project which is Lagos - Ibadan will also be awarded next month.

Also speaking at the event, Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Xu Jianguo, expressed gratitude to the Nigerian government for the confidence on CCECC, on a project he noted as crucial to the present administration in view the enlistment of transportation in the 7 point agenda.

He however urged both the Nigerian government and CCECC to ensure a fruitful completion of the project, while assuring that the Chinese firm would put all expertise to use and deliver on the 36 months time frame given for the completion of the project.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by JUO(m): 9:20pm On Aug 10, 2010
you have not got light to use, you are looking for electric train, what will you use to power it, water? what you have in Lagos is rail-track so expect nothing less locomotive
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Aug 10, 2010
JUO:

you have not got light to use, you are looking for electric train, what will you use to power it, water? what you have in Lagos is rail-track so expect nothing less locomotive

And it is too much to ask for more efficient locomotives at the price we paid for these things?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by oyinda3(f): 9:37pm On Aug 10, 2010
good news. like someone said earlier, any progress is good in a country like naija grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 10:43pm On Aug 10, 2010
[size=14pt]China developing 600 mph airless maglev high-speed train[/size]

High-speed rail just got a whole lot faster.

China is reportedly developing a high-speed train that will travel at 1,000 kilometers per hour, or approx. 621 miles per hour, through Maglev lines in airless tubes underground.

Researchers at the National Power Traction Laboratory of Southwest Jiaotong University reportedly told Beijing-based Legal Evening News that they were working on a prototype “vactrain” with an average speed of 500 to 600 kilometers per hour (approx. 311 to 373 miles per hour.)

The researchers say the technology could be in use within a decade. In the meantime, a smaller model train may be introduced in two or three years, they said.

The technology at the heart of the train is Maglev, short for magnetic levitation, technology. A concept that’s been around for more than 100 years, Maglev tech entails the suspension of a train via powerful magnets to remove the friction present at the rails of conventional trains.

The catch with maglev technology is that there’s still friction from the air rushing past the train as it hurtles down the tracks. To date, the fastest Maglev train managed about 361 miles per hour — not much faster than a conventional high-speed train.

But an airless tube — a vacuum — would remove that air drag, allowing for impressive speeds. (The trains themselves will contain pressurized air, just like an airplane.) A cheaper alternative to removing the air completely is to depressurize it, the researchers say.

Inventor and ET3 CEO Daryl Oster holds the U.S. patent for Evacuated Tube Transport, or ETT, technology. As you might expect, Oster has reportedly been working with Chinese researchers Shen Zhiyun, Zhang Yaoping and Wang Jiasu at the university on the concept.

The researchers say the train is cost-competitive with a traditional high-speed train because it has a smaller tunnel and requires less boring.

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/china-developing-600-mph-airless-maglev-high-speed-train/9594/
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Akosbaba(m): 2:59am On Aug 11, 2010
Even with kobo's convincing arguments,this is still laudable.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by soloqy: 3:04am On Aug 11, 2010
Forgive me for digressing but why do people refer to Kobojunkie as a she?

That person never strikes me as a she.

Is it just because of the f in the id?

Back to topic. The locomotives look clean though, if anything else.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:32am On Aug 11, 2010
soloqy:

YEP!

Akosbaba:

You've got to understand that in the first couple of pages I did post that this is good because we at least got something after so many years. I mean this is a project that supposedly started way back in 2005 and was slated that have been completed by this year with UPGRADES made country wide to our rail system as well as our fleets. That we end up with 1970's caliber machines is better than us ending up with nothing but it is still not what we were promised for all the money we supposedly invested from the start to this point in this and so I find that there is really no cause to rejoice. If anything, we ought to be crying at how easy we are to fleece over and over.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:24am On Aug 11, 2010
well, after reading through the 5-6 pages of diatribes i can only wonder how you people that have taken off for pastures greener and avowedly sworn not to step a foot in the country anymore find it convenient to sit yonder and hurl insults and critiques down at the motherland and its long suffering citizens. well since you are in paradise where everythang is just good and dandy, how do you expect we back in hell to understand your heavenly perspectives? heard abt the shoe where it pinches adage?

when was the last time you spent 3 hrs in a hot stuffy, overcrowded bus in a traffic gridlock? yet you find it convenient to bash the trains!! sure they are not state of the art, they are rip offs, they are not value etc etc. but please if u dont know what a lagos traffic norm is other than reports u read online, THEN PLS SHUT UP AND STICK TO TALKING ABOUT JAY-Z AND THE ILLUMINATI OR WHATEVER DUMB THING UR ILE MINDS THINK UP!!

and pls what does this have to do with a nigerian?
Kobojunkie:

China is reportedly developing a high-speed train that will travel at 1,000 kilometers per hour, or approx. 621 miles per hour, through Maglev lines in airless tubes underground.

Researchers at the National Power Traction Laboratory of Southwest Jiaotong University reportedly told Beijing-based Legal Evening News that they were working on a prototype “vactrain” with an average speed of 500 to 600 kilometers per hour (approx. 311 to 373 miles per hour.)

The researchers say the technology could be in use within a decade. In the meantime, a smaller model train may be introduced in two or three years, they said.

The technology at the heart of the train is Maglev, short for magnetic levitation, technology. A concept that’s been around for more than 100 years, Maglev tech entails the suspension of a train via powerful magnets to remove the friction present at the rails of conventional trains.

The catch with maglev technology is that there’s still friction from the air rushing past the train as it hurtles down the tracks. To date, the fastest Maglev train managed about 361 miles per hour — not much faster than a conventional high-speed train.

But an airless tube — a vacuum — would remove that air drag, allowing for impressive speeds. (The trains themselves will contain pressurized air, just like an airplane.) A cheaper alternative to removing the air completely is to depressurize it, the researchers say.

Inventor and ET3 CEO Daryl Oster holds the U.S. patent for Evacuated Tube Transport, or ETT, technology. As you might expect, Oster has reportedly been working with Chinese researchers Shen Zhiyun, Zhang Yaoping and Wang Jiasu at the university on the concept.

The researchers say the train is cost-competitive with a traditional high-speed train because it has a smaller tunnel and requires less boring.

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/smart-takes/china-developing-600-mph-airless-maglev-high-speed-train/9594/

if your enlightened view is currently seeing the type of thing in that post as ideal and our aim, ONE: iits not even in use and wont be for the next 10 yrs, TWO: you are just truly very out of tune with the realities in nigeria, THREE: it shows you know little about what you say and CANNOT EVER MAKE A GOOD LEADER IN THIS COUNTRY!

i wonder, so if you were in a position of authority in today's nigeria with all the goodwill and candor possible, in your estimation do u think all these "HEAVENLY" projects are the immediate issues that the country needs?

FOR AVOIDANCE OF DOUBTS, THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE RAIL PROJECT IS PROBABLY THE COST GIVEN THE PENCHANT FOR INFLATION!!! EVEN THOUGH THATS YET TO BE SHOWN. AS FOR WHETHER ITS NOT STATE OF THE ART, AMTRAK OR MARS-TRAK STANDARD BLA BLA BLA, QUIT USING GOOGLE TO EXTEND YOUR WARPED SENSE OF THE IRRELEVANT!!

and pls come and live the life a bit so we see if after a week on 3rd mainland bridge you will think the same about the alternatives
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:30am On Aug 11, 2010

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:33am On Aug 11, 2010
soloqy:

YEP!

Akosbaba:

You've got to understand that in the first couple of pages I did post that this is good because we at least got something after so many years. I mean this is a project that supposedly started way back in 2005 and was slated that have been completed by this year with UPGRADES made country wide to our rail system as well as our fleets. That we end up with 1970's caliber machines is better than us ending up with nothing but it is still not what we were promised for all the money we supposedly invested from the start to this point in this and so I find that there is really no cause to rejoice. If anything, we ought to be crying at how easy we are to fleece over and over.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by nazzyon(m): 8:56am On Aug 11, 2010
NOTE: I am not saying what you all are saying is wrong but as we want good things for ourselves and the nation we have to call the attention of the government to relocate those helpless people whose home is close to the rail track. If we don't we will be the one's blaming the government in the future after the occurrence of an accident

One of the problem the Nigerian's of today seem to have is that we all want to fly before we crawl.

Agreed, Asia, America, Europe and the Easterners have so many projects in existence but this countries had gone through the current stage we have at hand.

We want all want the best form of rail transport in Nigeria but we are not considering its side effect.

We voicinng out, out of ignorance. Nigeria isn't Germany nor is it China or USA where the government had good plan for the residents residing close to rail tracks.

For us to have a train as fast the Bullet train or something close we need to clear more than 1km from the track. If it collides with the buildings nearby the government will run the risk of killing many people in the process.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by AjanleKoko: 10:59am On Aug 11, 2010
nazzyon:

NOTE: I am not saying what you all are saying is wrong but as we want good things for ourselves and the nation we have to call the attention of the government to relocate those helpless people whose home is close to the rail track. If we don't we will be the one's blaming the government in the future after the occurrence of an accident

One of the problem the Nigerian's of today seem to have is that we all want to fly before we crawl.

Agreed, Asia, America, Europe and the Easterners have so many projects in existence but this countries had gone through the current stage we have at hand.

We want all want the best form of rail transport in Nigeria but we are not considering its side effect.

We voicinng out, out of ignorance. Nigeria isn't Germany nor is it China or USA where the government had good plan for the residents residing close to rail tracks.

For us to have a train as fast the Bullet train or something close we need to clear more than 1km from the track. If it collides with the buildings nearby the government will run the risk of killing many people in the process.

Bullet train ke. Are people asking for Bullet train? They must be nuts. Bullet train is not relevant to Nigeria right now.
South Africa, despite having had a working rail system for over a hundred years, have only recently modernized their rail system with the Gautrain, built by Bouyges. Nigeria's rail system has been dead for decades. Before even deploying any new engines, they had better tear up and re-lay those tracks. Still drove over some at Agege this weekend.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 12:44pm On Aug 11, 2010
nazzyon:

I am betting your post is probably in reaction to that article there in China planning for a 600mph train. Problem is a) The train does not currently exist but it is something to get people to think beyond what we continue to accept. b) China itself, rather than settling for less, has shown that it is possible to aim high and get it. Look at the china of today and the China of the 80's. So why is China allowed to expect value for the money it pays and we are not?

Lets assume for a second that you were promised a bullet train. Well, here is something for you to ruminate on. If your government promised you an UPGRADE so you can get a bullet train, and you also go ahead and actually PAID for a bullet train, what do you think it is reasonable for you to expect? A Coal train because you are in Nigeria?

You were promised a modern train system . . . even signed a contract back in 2005 for upgrade of rail lines so you can get it. You paid for a modern system not an outdated/OLD system. Do you then believe it makes sense for you then to get trains designed about 40 years ago, today? Do you think it makes sense for you to compare what you have wth that found in countries like South Africa where tremendous strides have been made  in upgrading rail and fleet stock to more recent machines, even though they still hold on to some of the old in the meantime?

Personally, would you willingly purchase a 1970 car with this "I am in Nigeria so that is what I am worth" reasoning you are offering me now? Even worse, would you purchase a 1970 car at the cost of a 2010 car today and tell me that it makes absolute sense because you are in Nigeria?

Nigeria's rail system has been in function for years. That people have not seen the trains moving does not mean it has not been working at all. Sure, operately on less trips a day out of places like Lagos, but it has been in operation for decades. Lets even assume that the trains were completely stalled for decades, and now being upgraded, does it then not make sense to spend that money on more recent technology that has proven better than the old? Or are we as Nigerians doomed to starting first with what others consider the OLD just because? Why play the "THIS IS NIGERIA" card when we are unable to get beyond our own personal esteem issues? Do we also need to crawl before we can fly in the area of power supply,Education, water supply and infrastructure development?  Why didn't the Eko Atlantic project managers not apply that mentality right there in NIgeria? Why didn't the federal Government not apply the same mentality in the redev of Abuja? Maybe we can offer that absurd excuse towards the idea of free and fair elections. I mean we are Nigeria, so why expect free and fair elections for the almost $600 million we are now paying? We should rejoice and party if we are served up more rigged elections, right?

We signed an almost $8 billion dollar( not naira) contract, and you believe this is some of the best we should expect to get from that contract( and it's mod)? We already borrowed and spent about $600 million of that money in Kaduna and for this?  We also spent some more of that for this. Is this really what we should expect from an $8 billion dollar contract signed back in 2005?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by skalamanga: 1:02pm On Aug 11, 2010
4llerbuntu:

well, after reading through the 5-6 pages of diatribes i can only wonder how you people that have taken off for pastures greener and avowedly sworn not to step a foot in the country anymore find it convenient to sit yonder and hurl insults and critiques down at the motherland and its long suffering citizens. well since you are in paradise where everythang is just good and dandy, how do you expect we back in hell to understand your heavenly perspectives? heard abt the shoe where it pinches adage?

when was the last time you spent 3 hrs in a hot stuffy, overcrowded bus in a traffic gridlock? yet you find it convenient to bash the trains!! sure they are not state of the art, they are rip offs, they are not value etc etc. but please if u dont know what a lagos traffic norm is other than reports u read online, THEN PLS SHUT UP AND STICK TO TALKING ABOUT JAY-Z AND THE ILLUMINATI OR WHATEVER DUMB THING your ILE MINDS THINK UP!!

and pls what does this have to do with a nigerian?
if your enlightened view is currently seeing the type of thing in that post as ideal and our aim, ONE: iits not even in use and wont be for the next 10 yrs, TWO: you are just truly very out of tune with the realities in nigeria, THREE: it shows you know little about what you say and CANNOT EVER MAKE A GOOD LEADER IN THIS COUNTRY!

i wonder, so if you were in a position of authority in today's nigeria with all the goodwill and candor possible, in your estimation do u think all these "HEAVENLY" projects are the immediate issues that the country needs?

FOR AVOIDANCE OF DOUBTS, THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE RAIL PROJECT IS PROBABLY THE COST GIVEN THE PENCHANT FOR INFLATION!!! EVEN THOUGH THATS YET TO BE SHOWN. AS FOR WHETHER ITS NOT STATE OF THE ART, AMTRAK OR MARS-TRAK STANDARD BLA BLA BLA, QUIT USING GOOGLE TO EXTEND YOUR WARPED SENSE OF THE IRRELEVANT!!

and pls come and live the life a bit so we see if after a week on 3rd mainland bridge you will think the same about the alternatives

Sport on!
kobo and co should really learn to, once in a whl, keep quiet and try to listen and comprehend. its very annoying when some one that is thousands of miles away engages in debates that you are half informed about.

thanks paddy_lo for bringing out the facts on the narrow/ standard guarge.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2010
nazzyon:

I am betting your post is probably in reaction to that article there in China planning for a 600mph train. Problem is a) The train does not currently exist but it is something to get people to think beyond what we continue to accept. b) China itself, rather than settling for less, has shown that it is possible to aim high and get it. Look at the china of today and the China of the 80's. So why is China allowed to expect value for the money it pays and we are not?

Lets assume for a second that you were promised a bullet train. Well, here is something for you to ruminate on. If your government promised you an UPGRADE so you can get a bullet train, and you also go ahead and actually PAID for a bullet train, what do you think it is reasonable for you to expect? A Coal train because you are in Nigeria?

You were promised a modern train system . . . even signed a contract back in 2005 for upgrade of rail lines so you can get it. You paid for a modern system not an outdated/OLD system. Do you then believe it makes sense for you then to get trains designed about 40 years ago, today? Do you think it makes sense for you to compare what you have wth that found in countries like South Africa where tremendous strides have been made in upgrading rail and fleet stock to more recent machines, even though they still hold on to some of the old in the meantime?

Personally, would you willingly purchase a 1970 car with this "I am in Nigeria so that is what I am worth" reasoning you are offering me now? Even worse, would you purchase a 1970 car at the cost of a 2010 car today and tell me that it makes absolute sense because you are in Nigeria?

Nigeria's rail system has been in function for years. That people have not seen the trains moving does not mean it has not been working at all. Sure, operately on less trips a day out of places like Lagos, but it has been in operation for decades. Lets even assume that the trains were completely stalled for decades, and now being upgraded, does it then not make sense to spend that money on more recent technology that has proven better than the old? Or are we as Nigerians doomed to starting first with what others consider the OLD just because? Why play the "THIS IS NIGERIA" card when we are unable to get beyond our own personal esteem issues? Do we also need to crawl before we can fly in the area of power supply,Education, water supply and infrastructure development? Why didn't the Eko Atlantic project managers not apply that mentality right there in NIgeria? Why didn't the federal Government not apply the same mentality in the redev of Abuja? Maybe we can offer that absurd excuse towards the idea of free and fair elections. I mean we are Nigeria, so why expect free and fair elections for the almost $600 million we are now paying? We should rejoice and party if we are served up more rigged elections, right?

We signed an almost $8 billion dollar( not naira) contract, and you believe this is some of the best we should expect to get from that contract( and it's mod)? We already borrowed and spent about $600 million of that money in Kaduna and for this? We also spent some more of that for this. Is this really what we should expect from an $8 billion dollar contract signed back in 2005?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2010
kobo, i can see you're still here hyperventilating.
from all indications, your anxiety over winning this argument is catching up with you.
that's why you're posting each input twice.

now this is a warning: relax (before you break something grin)
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 2:50pm On Aug 11, 2010
lol kobo is still talking even though she lost the argument. but i dont blame her.

As always, victory finds a hundred fathers but defeat is an orphan - Galeazzo Ciano
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tpiah: 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2010
i guess kobojunkie wants a bullet train with a total cost of about $500.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tpiah: 3:07pm On Aug 11, 2010
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos
« #169 on: Today at 05:24:10 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when was the last time you spent 3 hrs in a hot stuffy, overcrowded bus in a traffic gridlock? yet you find it convenient to bash the trains!! sure they are not state of the art, they are rip offs, they are not value etc etc. but please if u dont know what a lagos traffic norm is other than reports u read online, THEN PLS SHUT UP AND STICK TO TALKING ABOUT JAY-Z AND THE ILLUMINATI OR WHATEVER DUMB THING your ILE MINDS THINK UP!!

that's all.

but them no go hear sha!

except to spend their daft time whining, griping and complaining!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Aug 11, 2010
nazzyon:

You were promised a modern train system . . . even signed a contract back in 2005 for upgrade of rail lines so you can get it. You paid for a modern system not an outdated/OLD system. Do you then believe it makes sense for you then to get trains designed about 40 years ago, today? Do you think it makes sense for you to compare what you have wth that found in countries like South Africa where tremendous strides have been made in upgrading rail and fleet stock to more recent machines, even though they still hold on to some of the old in the meantime?

Nigeria's rail system has been in function for years. That people have not seen the trains moving does not mean it has not been working at all. Sure, operately on less trips a day out of places like Lagos, but it has been in operation for decades. Lets even assume that the trains were completely stalled for decades, and now being upgraded, does it then not make sense to spend that money on more recent technology that has proven better than the old? Or are we as Nigerians doomed to starting first with what others consider the OLD just because? Why play the "THIS IS NIGERIA" card when we are unable to get beyond our own personal esteem issues? Do we also need to crawl before we can fly in the area of power supply,Education, water supply and infrastructure development? Why didn't the Eko Atlantic project managers not apply that mentality right there in NIgeria? Why didn't the federal Government not apply the same mentality in the redev of Abuja? Maybe we can offer that absurd excuse towards the idea of free and fair elections. I mean we are Nigeria, so why expect free and fair elections for the almost $600 million we are now paying? We should rejoice and party if we are served up more rigged elections, right?

We signed an almost $8 billion dollar( not naira) contract, and you believe this is some of the best we should expect to get from that contract( and it's mod)? We already borrowed and spent about $600 million of that money in Kaduna and for this? We also spent some more of that for this. Is this really what we should expect from an $8 billion dollar contract signed back in 2005?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:40pm On Aug 11, 2010
[size=14pt]China to build Nigerian railway [/size]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6101736.stm

Nigeria's railways have fallen into disrepair
China is to build a railway line between Nigeria's two main commercial cities, Lagos and Kano.
An $8bn contract was signed by the deputy transport minister and the president of the Chinese firm (CCECC).

CCECC President Lin Rongxin said 50,000 Nigerians would work on the 1,315km line which he said was "a design, construct and maintain project".

Nigeria's leader said the five-year north-south line was the first phase in a 20-year modernisation programme.
President Olusegun Obasanjo, who watched the signing, said the second phase of the railway project would include a link between the southern oil city of Port Harcourt and the central city of Jos.

The existing railway along these routes has fallen into disrepair and new tracks are to be built under the deal with China.
China recently granted Nigeria a loan of $2.5bn and much of this is expected to be used in the railway project.

Earlier this year Nigeria repaid a multi-billion dollar debt it owed to the Paris Club, becoming the first African nation to settle with its official lenders.

Nigeria is one of the world's biggest oil exporters, but it is also one of the world's poorest countries, with the majority of the population living on less than $1 per day.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2010
NRC Machine History for those who seriously know something about the NRC http://www.topforge.co.uk/Photographs/NRC   grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Mariory(m): 5:49pm On Aug 11, 2010
This thread is now being spammed.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by vanitty: 6:07pm On Aug 11, 2010
lol cheesy
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by CGKing(m): 9:45am On Aug 12, 2010
They brought in rusted nonsense that the indians have worn out. Look at them, all smiling at rubbish. Is this not the same things we v been doing, the same reason our train system is a failure. So ho is this news?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2010
http://www.getransportation.com/na/en/docs/3238819_1267039926_Nigeria%20Locomotives.pdf

Lord knows if you are right. The reports on the machine have it saying something like this is new technology TO Nigeria but not much on if the machines are brand new machines or built reusing old parts. I do know that this model is part of GE's 1970's or earlier line of locomotives, which seems still only functional in countries that previously purchased the machine, probably all do so many decades ago.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Bawss1(m): 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2010
Mariory:

This thread is now being spammed.

Very possible cheesy
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2010
Good one, now i see why there has been active work on the rail tracks for months now.

This red rail is going to be interstate so i might not be able to be a regular on it, but I can't wait to see the Lagos light rail in action
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by watsoncars(m): 8:50pm On Aug 14, 2010
thank you for the introduction of 1st class late comers. pls do not encourage our children dis cos am sure they will arrive hours after lectures. hahahah
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 2:49pm On Aug 15, 2010
Nigerian railways has been running interstate from back over 40 years ago, daily in some cases. Trips from Lagos through Abuja to Kaduna, happen at least 4 times a week.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds / Naira Continues To Depreciate Against Dollar / Excuses Graduates Give For Not Starting Their Own Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.