Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos (20684 Views)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos / Railways Revisited - The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tkb417(m): 5:29pm On Aug 16, 2010
so much spam and irrelevances

Paddy Lo, Sagamite and carlosein have done well to enlighten people

Locomotives were designed/built for Nigeria - They are not fairly used

Like people have said, its about functionality and if the locomotives can/will do what they were bought to do, then FINE

Its a laudable project as half bread is better than none- we cannot erase all the hang ons of past years of misrule in a year- If the present day govt has taken a step forward, then its cool- Economic Devpt is a function of stability in govt and economic growth. One would expect NGR to upgrade and go higher with many years of democratic rule coupled with the attendant economic gains

kudos to whomever pulled this
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Ejiafam: 8:07pm On Aug 16, 2010
The time and days we have long for have started. If General Electrics (GE) is handling this that means we are setup for a better time.
Congratulation Lagostians, Congratulation Nija.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 8:25pm On Aug 16, 2010
So whats it like thought by now people will be flocking to get onboard

Any masseurs on board, Catalan cava or na same kpuff kpuff with pap them dey serve?

This should be better way to travel to Ogun state considering the holy-ghost conventions and many police-checkpoints
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Ejiafam: 1:56pm On Aug 19, 2010
DIS GUY,
I will really appreciate they serve pufpuf, and say kunu or sobo drink. Nice way to relax from Lagos to Ogun state. What i really look forward to is seen Lagos road decongested. Molus i.e 911 leave the road completely, we have over grown that!
God have mercy!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 2:18pm On Aug 19, 2010
911 molue cant be removed if strict M.O.T laws are enforced, cos most of them wont pass emission or even mechanical test perhaps that one of the main areas Fashola gets his supports you know the NURTW guys are quite disruptive and powerful so he might not want to ruffle the nest wink

You'd think for a state going clean and green,looking to descongest its road, and reduce road accidents, Strict road-worthiness test will be enforced on all vehicles and updated insurance certificate will be required to drive on teh road but. . . .
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Ejiafam: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2010
Interesting the Blue Pilot buses complementing the LAGBUS are owned by NURTW. That suggest to me that they are embrazing the current wave of change in the tansport sector of Lagos state. Of course a strict MOT would see 60% of vehicles on the road unworthy to ply the road, we are still distance away to set such standards. Basically as take transition, let go 911 molue, embrase the marcopolos being imported from Brazil.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:58pm On Aug 21, 2010
Ejiafam:

The time and days we have long for have started. If General Electrics (GE) is handling this that means we are setup for a better time.
Congratulation Lagostians, Congratulation Nija.

But GE is NOT handling this and so you are NOT set up for a better time in the way you claim there. GE only took the contract to build the locomotives which turn out to be 1970's model locomotives at a time when the rest of the world are spending their millions and billions in upgrading from their 1970's and older class to newer, more durable and for efficient train systems. Lets not pull GE into this  please.

We are talking here of the country spending Billions of dollars to give us what the rest of the world is trying to get away from. The C25 that is currently working in South Africa was purchased some decades ago. South Africa only recently unveiled a high speed rail system which it plans and is working on expanding with billions of dollars in bugdet available for that to happen as we speak. We on the other hand are not doing that with our billions. We were promised that but what has happened in the last year instead is the money is being used to purchase old trains while the rest is probably pocketed.

By the way, Highspeed trains have been around since as far back as the 1960's so I see no reason why we should continue to ignore that and claim that this is tailor made for Nigerian situation as if Nigerian situation is some unique unchangeable/unimprovable situation.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Mariory(m): 5:11pm On Aug 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But GE is NOT handling this and so you are NOT set up for a better time in the way you claim there. GE only took the contract to build the locomotives which turn out to be 1970's model locomotives at a time when the rest of the world are spending their millions and billions in upgrading from their 1970's and older class to newer, more durable and for efficient train systems. Lets not pull GE into this  please.

What you can't seem to get into that head of yours is that the rail network will not support a newer class of train. Ergo, the locomotives are a stop gap until we upgrade our rail network to standard guage. But please don't let that tit-bit stop you from sprewing forth noise like a drone. Carry on.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:14pm On Aug 21, 2010
Mariory:

What you can't seem to get into that head of yours is that the rail network will not support a newer class of train. Ergo, the locomotives are a stop gap until we upgrade our rail network to standard guage. But please don't let that bosom-bit stop you from sprewing forth noise like a drone. Carry on.

See this is why I tell people to EDUCATE themselves first before jumping in on issues.

The project was to UPGRADE our rail networks. It was first signed in 2006, and the base specifications of the signed proposal was not modified by the Yar adua Administration. It was not in anyway a project to continue with the current system as is. It was in place to upgrade what we have so it can support newer class trains and also to acquire better class trains. Better class trains are not in short supply and they are certainly doable even in our current state. So, your excuse there fails for why a project that promised to deliver improvement is now giving us more of the old we were trying to move up from in the first place.

I understand there seems this morbid need to lower our standards so we can have something to celebrate and that I believe is what you are probably trying to do there, and I did earlier on, I allowed people to have that. But if you try to debate the project itself and supply reasons for this delivery then I suggest you at least get yourself a better understanding of why that will not work and would not have been allowed anywhere else.

Information about all this project is readily available to all who really want to learn. Or did you somehow think this just fell out of the sky or something - maybe a new minister of transportation decided to just order 1970's trains for show? All you have to do is READ, READ, READ!!!

Ignorance is not bliss!! So please stop making noise when it continues to be obvious you have no clue what the crux of the issue really is.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Mariory(m): 5:48pm On Aug 21, 2010
Kobojunkie:

See this is why I tell people to EDUCATE themselves first before jumping in on issues.

The project was to UPGRADE our rail networks. It was first signed in 2006, and was NOT MODIFIED by the Yar adua Administration. It was not in anyway a project to CONTINUE WITH THE CURRENT. It was in place to upgrade what we have so it can SUPPORT NEWER CLASS trains and also to acquire BETTER CLASS TRAINS. 

Information about all this is readily available to all who really want to learn.  Did you think this just fell out of the sky or something?  jeeezzz!! READ, READ, READ!!!

Ignorance is not bliss!! Stop making noise when you have no clue what the real crux of the argument really is.

Oh God! That project stalled in 2007 because of payment issues. In 2009 the world bank advised it would be more cost effective to rehabilitate the current narrow guage lines.

http://www.nrc-ng.org/aboutnrc.php
The Railway System has been undergoing some rehabilitation and modernization with the full political and financial support of the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Transport.

The rehabilitation of the Railway System includes track spot renewal of Lagos to Kano and Maiduguri to Port-Harcourt, supply of 25 new locomotive engines from Brazil South America to boost the existing motive power base of the Corporation, upgrading of the signaling and telecommunication system from manual to semi automatic, as well as rehabilitation of Carriage and Wagon Workshops, re-equipping the workshops, supply of service support (spare part consumables), strategic rebranding of the Corporation, rehabilitation of stations and marshalling yards, inter alia.

Equally, new railway lines are being constructed in standard gauge (1435mm). These include: Ajaokuta - Warri line of 277km; Kaduna - Abuja (Idu) line of 186 km while the scope of work for Lagos - Ibadan segment is under review together with its cost implications.

http://www.nrc-ng.org/icontract.php
Invitation

Invitation for the pre-qualification of contractors for procurement of rail/road cranes, wagons and coaches (narrow gauge) and upgrading of signaling and communication system (narrow gauge network)

INTRODUCTION:
In furtherance to the Federal Government's Railway Rehabilitation programme, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) invites interested and reputable Contractors with relevant and verifiable experience to apply for pre-qualification for consideration to tender for the projects indicated below.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECTS
The projects fall under the following categories:

1. Procurement of Rail/Road Cranes (Narrow Gauge). It involves supply, maintenance and provision of Narrow Gauge Rail/Road Cranes and provision of user training.
   2. Procurement of Wagons and Coaches (Narrow Gauge). It involves supply and maintenance of Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock and Provision of User training.
   3. Upgrading of Signaling and Communication system (Narrow Gauge network). This involves the design, installation and function - test run of a modern end-to-end signaling solution to meet the needs of a rail line consisting of internal passenger and freight services.

http://www.nrc-ng.org/ongoing.php
As part of president Umaru Yar'Adua's desire to revitalize the transport sector as contained in the seven point agenda, provisions was made for in the year 2009 capital budget for NRC to execute some capital projects.
This enabled the award of several rehabilitation projects with a bid to rejuvenating the ailing parastatal.

The projects in its various state of completion include:

1. CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR THE REHABILITATION OF RAILWAY TRACK NETWORK AWARDED TO M/S ROUGHTON INTERNATIONAL UK.

The Consultancy Services for the Rehabilitation of Railway Track Network awarded to M/S Roughton International, UK in July 2009. This contract is for carrying out the detailed condition assessment survey, development of scope of work and Bill of Quantities followed by work supervision for the existing rail network in Nigeria.

The services fall into two phases. Phase I is the scoping phase with three months duration while phase II is the supervision of Rehabilitation phase with a duration of fifteen months, totaling eighteen months.

By the end of February 2010, the scoping study for the entire network has been completed, Bill of Quantities for the Western line (1126km) has been completed and contract for this section has been awarded to two contractors namely M/S CCECC Nig. Ltd and M/S Costain West African Plc.

With these awards, M/S Roughton International has commenced the supervision of the contracts. The two contracts mentioned above are expected to be completed by December 2010.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 5:58pm On Aug 21, 2010
WOW . . .

Did you actually take time to read what you posted? Over there it tells you Abuja-kaduna underwent some UPGRADE yet you felt safe to claim it was OK to still purchase locomotives that are back from the 1970's catalog to fit our OLD?

Please read the information you posted above!! READ it and check the dates.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Mariory(m): 6:22pm On Aug 21, 2010
*facepalm*

http://www.railwaysafrica.com/2010/02/new-ge-locos-for-nigeria-2/

On 5 February, it was announced jointly by the Nigerian ministry of transport and GE Transportation that the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has taken delivery of the first five new C25 six-axle diesel-electric locomotives. The balance of the order for 25 units, intended for both freight and passenger service, is to be shipped during the second half of 2010.

The locomotives were built by GE Transportation South America, GE Transportation’s affiliate facility in Brazil. The locomotives feature GE’s 7FDL12-cylinder, 2,500hp engine supplied by GE Transportation’s diesel engine manufacturing plant in Grove City, USA. The locomotives were designed specifically to accommodate Nigeria’s weight per axle, loading gauge and clearance characteristics.

GE Transportation South America has built GE diesel-electric locomotives including AC44, Dash 9 and the C Series in Brazil since 1967, and has produced more than 1,000 locomotives, operating in over 15 countries around the world. Locomotives similar to the C25 are currently hauling freight in South Africa. Altogether, approximately 17,000 GE locomotives are in use in more than 50 countries around the world.

President and CEO of GE Transportation Lorenzo Simonelli was quoted saying: “GE experts performed an extensive analysis on Nigeria’s narrow-gauge railway network, haulage requirements and traffic patterns to determine the best-fit locomotive.”

_ _ _
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 5:51pm On Aug 29, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Transportation/5611180-147/story.csp

Aug 2010

The soft Christian music emanating from the loudspeaker on the balcony caused Omolara Egbedina to hum softly, nodding her head in tune with the slow rhythm. The time was 4pm and the place was inside a train coach at Ebute-Metta Junction.

After her day's work as a primary school teacher in a school at Oyingbo, Mrs Egbedina was heading for home at Agbado area of Lagos State. The journey would last up to two hours, if taken by road, and would cost more than the N120 train ticket she clutched in her right hand.

"If I take a bus home, I will spend more than N300, and there will be hold up," she said.

"So I prefer to wait for the train. They are even entertaining us with music here."

Three train rides depart from the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) at Ebute-Metta Junction daily. The first departs at 5pm, the second at 6pm, and the third at 7pm. The final destination is Ijoko, in Ogun State, with other stops at Yaba, Mushin, Oshodi, Shogunle, Ikeja, Agege, Iju, Agbado, and Itoko. A N120 ticket takes one to any of these destinations, but for those who prefer the first class treatment in an air-conditioned coach, the fare is N500.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 6:12pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^^^

Nice, can't wait for the blue line cool
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 29, 2010
Pls house put me through is dis the new Train that Yaradua import, That they are emphasising on, Nigeria we still have a long way to go sha

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2010
I think 'new' as in engine

I was hoping the journalist will provide a picture of teh first class carriage. why isnt any news media showing this
if tehy want to attract 'first class' passengers why arent they pushing this properly in the media
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 8:44pm On Aug 29, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^

Nice, can't wait for the blue line cool

that's on a loooooooooong thing!!

first they said, Q4 2010, then Q1 2011 then, then then until whenever its ready! N2000
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 29, 2010
BRT don even over stress , Lagosian needs additional transport scheme

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 10:59pm On Aug 29, 2010
barnabasj:

Pls house put me through is dis the new Train that Yaradua import, That they are emphasising on, Nigeria we still have a long way to go sha

I hope you didn't post this pix as a representation of the new train? this one is not the new train, infact, this picture is old because the place this pix was taken is around Ikeja along and Ikeja along of present does not have all these shanties around the railway line, they have been cleared off the railway line months ago.

If you have the new pix of the new train, let us have it.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 11:00pm On Aug 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

that's on a loooooooooong thing!!

first they said, Q4 2010, then Q1 2011 then, then then until whenever its ready! N2000

When did they say the blue line was going to come into operation by Q4 2010? can you back this up?

it was said to begin operation by Q4 2011 and not what you posted here.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 11:07pm On Aug 29, 2010
oh please, i know what i read the goal post keeps changing and thats the way nigerian govt operate!
cant be bothered sifting through posts and newspapers thinking they will one day archive all these announcement so i can bring them up as proof
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 11:18pm On Aug 29, 2010
Do u live in Lagos?

The project is for Lagosians, and some of us have seen what's going on so far.

There was never a time it was said that the project is to be completed by Q4 of 2010, you shouldn't be making up lies bro.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 11:34pm On Aug 29, 2010
honeric01:

Do u live in Lagos?

The project is for Lagosians, and some of us have seen what's going on so far.

There was never a time it was said that the project is to be completed by Q4 of 2010, you shouldn't be making up lies bro.

you are not from dundee are you?

I just read through the project briefings and not once was the completion date stated meaning, somewhere along the line someone somewhere could have mentioned several dates of completion!!

what sort of project wont categorically state its completion date in its project briefing!!
http://www.subways.net/nigeria/lagos.htm

i know you don't live in Canada but i'm very certain you will be able to read projected completion dates of projects!
there's a difference between seeing what's going on and knowing the completion date, we all know the lekki PPP is being built since how many years? nobody knows when is the completion date for lekki toll road; since you see whats going on there can you please tell us when the competion date is?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 11:52pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^^^

Can you read properly? i said the blue line!

Google up the blue line.

The link you posted is so off the post, the blue line is strictly a Lagos project and not a Nigerian project, the website stated that the blue line is a Nigerian project.

The Lagos project is being funded by both the state government and private investors and this one is not part of the old stories you're digging up.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by DisGuy: 12:01am On Aug 30, 2010
which part exactly should i read?

The part you said the project is for lagosians?

Or you didn't understand my point of many projects like the blue line not having specific completion dates; giving you examples of ongoing works with no completion dates
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by honeric01(m): 12:11am On Aug 30, 2010
Dis Guy:

which part exactly should i read?

The part you said the project is for lagosians?

Or you didn't understand my point of many projects like the blue line not having specific completion dates; giving you examples of ongoing works with no completion dates

I think i got your points now, sorry for the mixed up, there's no fixed date for completion online, but from the ministry of transport (heard him saying in an interview) that it was to be completed by Q4 of 2011.

And as for the blue line being online for Lagos, i think i mixed that up too. (My bad).

The Lagos Mega City Development Authority is undertaking the LRMT scheme from Iddo to Ijoko as a priority project for implementation within the mega-city. The LRMT scheme is being financed by the Federal Government (45%), Lagos State Government (40%), and Ogun State Government (15%).

The Mile 2 to Ojo/Okokomaiko scheme is a conceptualised innovative rail transit system for the Badagry Expressway in Lagos State. This scheme is planned for implementation in two stages. Stage 1 of this scheme, is a 16-kilometre east to west rail line between Ojo and Mile 2 with the following six (6) proposed train stations

* Ojo
* Okokomaiko
* LASU
* Trade Fair
* Festac
* Mile 2

A future extension of an additional 21-kilometre and four train stations terminating in Marina is also being considered for stage 2 of the scheme.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

US Overtakes Saudi Arabia, Russia As Largest Oil Producer / Naira Depreciates Marginally Against Dollar / Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.