Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos (20707 Views)

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos / Railways Revisited - The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2010
@paddy

I guess you're right. But then when the Japanese built their train with "speed, functionality, and physical appearance",in mind, they were just being different. What is the speed of that p-train, btw?

Anywaz, up modernization, we're getting there step by step.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2010
ummm yes i have, that's not arguable but those pics tpia posted are for carrying stuff like coal.

you are speaking to a regular cta/metra customer.

ok so whats the arguement about here. . .is it the Nigerian railway locomotives or the one tpiah posted. . cause am confused?

some ppl here are claiming that locomotives dont move passenger trains,but clearly they do. . .even in the  USA. .
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tpiah: 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

The first picture i posted is a locomotive pulled amtrak train. . . .

scatter scatter people don scatter thread, so as usual, the main point has been sidetracked while the ignorant ones have gotten more ignorant.

you have to spell everything out in black and white and even then they still wont get it.

Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by AloyEmeka5: 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

The first picture i posted is a locomotive pulled amtrak train. . . .

Dude, its not about being locomotive or not. Do you sincerely believe the trains posted here lately are in the same grade as the one your government is dumping in Lagos for carting human lives?. Can we for once address our issues in Nigeria without drawing comparisons with other G8 nations?. Being  apace setter is not a crime, you know.

In case you've forgotten, the pictures are below:
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by gozzilla(m): 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

Trains are not about being pretty or ugly. .its about functionality,whats the speed. . how much fast does it go?
Above are trains from SEPTA(philadelphia),and AMTRAK(Federal Govt)

That is the point functionality, people functionality (of course we know this ones wouldn't be flying, not yet) but it will move. It might even run who knows.

Passenger or cargo, the end is that the roads will be helped one way or the other. Seriously i even wish they were cargo ones so all this big truck will not be found in lagos. They will be restricted to a certain route and all. People any progress is progress (of course Kobo has told me otherwise, but i don't know yet).
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 3:32pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

ok so whats the arguement about here. . .is it the Nigerian railway locomotives or the one tpiah posted. . cause am confused?

some ppl here are claiming that locomotives dont move passenger trains,but clearly they do. . .even in the  USA. .

i was speaking about the canada rail pic tpiah posted.  CN is for cargo. you are right about the last sentence.

i believe most people are arguing about the model that was purchased.  these are old models that are being replaced by transit systems like METRA in illinois.  part of the stimulus bill went to such modernization plans.

tpiah:

coal isnt the only commodity carried by a freight train.

i didn't say so madamn
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2010
@paddy

I guess you're right. But then when the Japanese built their train with "speed, functionality, and physical appearance",in mind, they were just being different. What is the speed of that p-train, btw?

Anywaz, up modernization, we're getting there step by step.
@Ileke idi. . .

Those type of trains are 2 expensive for Nigeria. . .they cost in excess of $8 - $10billion to build and maintain

We dont have that kind of money,and its better to build more roads,airports and expand our waterways. . .

while gradually improving our rails
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tpiah: 3:35pm On Aug 10, 2010
bawomolo:

i didn't say so madamn

just spelling it out for those who are slow on the uptake.

you're quite aware many will take your post to mean the train only carries coal.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

Trains are not about being pretty or ugly. .its about functionality,whats the speed. . how much fast does it go?

paddy_lo:

@Ileke idi. . .

Those type of trains are 2 expensive for Nigeria. . .they cost in excess of $8 - $10billion to build and maintain

We dont have that kind of money,and its better to build more roads,airports and expand our waterways. . .

alright. . . . do you know the speed of Fashola's p-train?

What is the comparison to the standard speed of a p-train??
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by tpiah: 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2010
oh God. undecided

[s]Where does she get these s.tupid questions from.[/s]
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 3:38pm On Aug 10, 2010
Like I said before. the train is meant for cargo but like the GE Brazil said it can also be used for passengers.

End Of Storey
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Aug 10, 2010
Nigerian trains purchased in 2009 for so many more billions,  should compare in all wise to Amtrak locomotives purchased almost 30 years ago , SWEET ~. . .  grin

[size=13pt]AMTRAK [/size]
In addition to its $2.1 billion FY ’11 budget request, Amtrak is asking Congress for an extra $446 million for the replacement, expansion and modernization of its aging fleet of locomotives and passenger cars. The $446 million would set the plan in motion and fund acquisitions, including 130 single-level long-distance passenger cars and 15 locomotives, and help support the development of a domestic rail manufacturing base to create jobs in the United States. “Between 2002 and 2008, our ridership increased 32 percent and we handled these new passengers without buying a single piece of new equipment,” said President and CEO Joe Boardman in testimony before a House Appropriations subcommittee. “That’s a remarkable achievement, but one that cannot be sustained indefinitely.”

As part of a comprehensive Fleet Strategy Plan, Amtrak initiated the bidding process last year to buy equipment to meet its most critical needs. The company has recently met with a number of vendors to discuss specifications for the equipment pool. With an eye toward replacing the aging fleet by 2040, the plan calls for an annual purchase of 100 cars beginning in 2012, with as many as 40 locomotives entering the fleet each year.

Unlike commuter services that can be maintained at night, on weekends and during off-peak hours, Amtrak’s 24/7 operation requires turnaround time measured in hours. Average annual car miles for Amtrak trains are the highest in the U.S. passenger rail industry. Amfleet I cars that service the Northeast Regional, for example, average 158,000 miles each year, more than twice as many miles as Florida’s Tri-Rail service, the most heavily operated among the commuter services.

“Imagine you bought a Chevy El Camino back in 1977 and proceeded to drive it from D.C., to New York and back again, every single day since then, with a day and half off every month for maintenance,” said Boardman. “That’s how hard we run the Amfleets, and they are neither the oldest nor the hardest-run.”

The Fleet Plan also calls for replacing the equipment in regular annual purchases, as opposed to large block purchases, to allow the company to break in new equipment gradually and identify and fix any issues before they become permanent. “This supports the [Obama] administration’s stated intent to develop and sustain a strong domestic rail manufacturing capability … by projecting long-term scale procurement streams that will nurture and sustain suppliers,” Boardman said. He added that the Fleet Plan can include equipment purchases by states as they develop new or expand existing state supported corridor services. “There are going to be some real opportunities to move regions to the next level of service,” stated Boardman, “but we must make the supporting investments in our fleet that will make this possible.”

While Amtrak is working to MODERNIZE IT's FLEET, it is OK for us to continue to ACQUIRE the artifacts they are trying to get rid of . . .  weeeee~!!!!
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by AloyEmeka5: 3:44pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

@Ileke idi. . .

The reprt says,
Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains in Lagos
. This means they actually believe the 20 mobile toilets they are bringing to Lagos are first class trains. I am sure those trains were bought from Germany. Probably the train they used to transport Jews during the 2nd world war.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:47pm On Aug 10, 2010
Dude, its not about being locomotive or not. Do you sincerely believe the trains posted here lately are in the same grade as the one your government is dumping in Lagos for carting human lives?. Can we for once address our issues in Nigeria without drawing comparisons with other G8 nations?. Being  apace setter is not a crime, you know.

What are u rambling on about. . . the trains were sourced from GE in the USA one of the largest makers in the world. . .

And the picture posted was of locomotives,not the actual passenger carts. . .

Heres a comparison. . .whats the big difference btw the 2 now?. .

AMTRAK LOCOMOTIVE. , 

NIGERIAN RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVE
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2010

Huge difference.
Looks like a broken down school bus. undecided

@koboju
may God bless ya grin
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

AMTRAK in the USA uses locomotives for passenger trains. .i have been on them numerous times. . have u?
There's some truth in this
4 years ago, I remember boarding an old train from a train-station close to JFK airport.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:51pm On Aug 10, 2010
alright. . . . do you know the speed of Fashola's p-train?

What is the comparison to the standard speed of a p-train??

These are not fasholas trains oh. . .lol

Fashola is building a light rail,which is different. . .These ones belong to the Federal Govt owned NRC(railway commision)

I dont know the speed,gotta find that out. . .
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 3:51pm On Aug 10, 2010
Nigerian Railway Takes Delivery of First GE Locomotives[/color]
the Nigerian Ministry of Transport and GE Transportation announced that the Nigerian Railway Corporation had taken delivery of five C25 diesel locomotives. Another 20 locomotives will be delivered in the second half of 2010.

The Model C25 six-axle locomotives were built by GE Transportation South America, GE Transportation’s affiliate facility located in Brazil. The locomotives feature GE’s 7FDL 12-cylinder, 2,500 horsepower engine, which was supplied by GE Transportation’s diesel engine manufacturing plant in Grove City, Pa. The locomotives were designed specifically to accommodate Nigeria’s weight per axle and clearance characteristics.

Lorenzo Simonelli, president and CEO of GE Transportation, said, “We are excited today with the arrival of the first locomotives as this represents an important step in GE Transportation’s entry into the Nigerian market place. GE experts performed an extensive analysis on Nigeria’s narrow-gauge railway network, haulage requirements and traffic patterns to determine the best-fit locomotive. We are honored to support the country’s rail infrastructure growth and are looking forward to working with our Nigerian partners.”

http://www.railresource.com/content/?p=471

[color=#770077]and we are way off topic considering that the thread is about the new coaches not the new locomotives.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On Aug 10, 2010
OMO IBO:

There's some truth in this
4 years ago, I remember boarding an old train from a train-station close to JFK airport.

Well, also remember those some of those old trains where purchased back in the 1970's. Our trains were purchased in the year 2009/2010grin So are we right in our minds to compare trains bought in 1970 something to trains bought in 2010 in the way we continue to??  tongue We probably paid full price for them . . . lipsrsealed

And Amtrak, as well as most metro lines across america today are actually working on MODERNIZING their fleet as we speak. weeeee
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

These are not fasholas trains oh. . .lol

Fashola is building a light rail,which is different. . .These ones belong to the Federal Govt owned NRC(railway commision)

I dont know the speed,gotta find that out. . .

alright, thanks boo. try to find the speed for me if you have time.

I sincerely hope fashola has a different design with his. . . .
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 10, 2010
Huge difference.
Looks like a broken down school bus.

Not true. . the only difference is that the Amtrak locomotive might have more horsepower,hence can pull more carts or goods

u do know that u are not going to sit in there. . .thats just the locomotive. . .
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by gozzilla(m): 3:55pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

That is the point functionality, people functionality (of course we know this ones wouldn't be flying, not yet) but it will move. It might even run who knows.

Passenger or cargo, the end is that the roads will be helped one way or the other. Seriously i even wish they were cargo ones so all this big truck will not be found in lagos. They will be restricted to a certain route and all. People any progress is progress (of course Kobo has told me otherwise, but i don't know yet).
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2010
i believe what kobo is trying to say is that is GE selling us Refurbished scrap in the name of tekinology?

we can't compete with the US but won't we spend much more in the long term trying to maintain an old fleet like what we do with our airlines?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by paddylo1(m): 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2010

I sincerely hope fashola has a different design with his. . . .

yea fasholas will be light rail,ill post a pic of it soon. . .u guys in florida all u got is freeways and buses lol. .

Up nort here we do,subways,amtrak,septa. . .u name it. . i love trains. . old or new
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

once again these are LOCOMOTIVES. THEY ARE NOT BULLET TRAINS NOR ARE THEY LIGHT RAILS. LOCOMOTIVE HAUL CARGO. so its all about horse power and torque not speed. and the locomotive that were order has 2500 HP. smiley
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by bawomolo(m): 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

yea fasholas will be light rail,ill post a pic of it soon. . .u guys in florida all u got is freeways and buses lol. .

Up nort here we do,subways,amtrak,septa. . .u name it. . i love trains. . old or new

southern people are not smart enough to use trains. bus passes are complex enough for them.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
Have to agree with paddy_lo.

functionality guys, at least some of our siblings born in the 90's can see 'trains' just like we used to in the 70's and 80's.
hopefully one day they'll get to ride in them too.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Aug 10, 2010
bawomolo:

i believe what kobo is trying to say is that is GE selling us Refurbished scrap in the name of tekinology?

Blame GE? Over my dead body . .  this is the government, finito!

We are, in the year 2010, purchasing locomotives that look like they were built for the last century. Whose fault? Amtrak, Philadelphia metro, NY metro, Chicago, Atlanta locomotives where all purchased back in the last century and many are already looking to upgrade to modern and greener lines. But we are still purchasing the old . .  why didn't we wait to buy cheap from Amtrak when it fades out some of it's locomotives next year or so since all we want is something that moves . . . ROFLMAO!!

bawomolo:

southern people are not smart enough to use trains. bus passes are complex enough for them.

WHat?
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Carlosein(m): 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2010
Kobo, we have to start somewhere.
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2010
kobo its not how it looks but what it can do. wink
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2010
paddy_lo:

What do you mean? I've never ridden on a train, but I've seen a lot of subways by Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale  side, I think they're supposed to go all the way to New York.

GAR3TH:

once again these are LOCOMOTIVES. THEY ARE NOT BULLET TRAINS NOR ARE THEY LIGHT RAILS. LOCOMOTIVE HAUL CARGO. so its all about horse power and torque not speed. and the locomotive that were order has 2500 HP. smiley
Alright sir, thanks for the info  wink I was a bit confused because you guys are posting locom/passenger train, while the article talks about Passanger train.

@bawo
Your head to fokasibe
Re: Nigeria Railways Introduces First-class Passenger Trains In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 4:04pm On Aug 10, 2010
Carlosein:

Kobo, we have to start somewhere.

Stop that nonsense please. The NRC has been in business for a long time and trains have been running since back in the 70's, I believe. When I was in secondary school, I used to take the train to school. NOt sure what you are starting now. We are not starting anything. What we claimed we were doing was improving and modernizing. PLease look into the news on this. It started back during the Yar adua Administration oooo. Trains have been running in Nigeria for at least 30 something years. We are not STARTING  . ,   

GAR3TH:

kobo its not how it looks but what it can do. wink
uummm . . . and you can tell of it's capability how? Please look up models of this train to figure out what it can do ooo. And why it is probably best to, for the same price, purchase better for this century and tech age.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Farming for business : Ideas / What Is Required To Open A Pharmacy Store In Nigeria / What’s The Biggest Lesson Being Broke Has Taught You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.