Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child (10164 Views)

Job 22:28: Did God Tell Us To Decree And Declare When We Pray? / Patrick Henry Edet Dedicates His Child / Does God Tell Us Who to Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by Dantedasz(m): 1:44pm On Feb 01, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by OnPointMan(m): 1:46pm On Feb 01, 2019
sonmvayina:
It is not an actual story or a literal one.. It is to reach us the fact that God does not accept human sacrifice only animal..... That why he provided the ram...
What about the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 1:54pm On Feb 01, 2019
LordReed:
Yeah but you still get attempts to wash the story. Even on here you see MuttleyLaff challenging the narrative that Jephthah actually roasted his daughter.
Jephthah never barbecued his daughter. Did not, in the first place nurse any plan to barbecue a human being even.

Dantedasz:
NOT CHALLENGING, rather STANDING LOGIC ON IT'S HEAD.
Logically there is no way Jephthah would have considered nursing barbecuing a human being. It defies any logic an Israelite would stand for. Besides that, it is crystal clear in Judges 11:31b what Jephthah planned to barbecue. Only the blind, deceiver and ignorant would not acknowledge or know this
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by Dantedasz(m): 2:04pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Jephthah never barbecued his daughter. Did not, in the first place nurse any plan to barbecue a human being even.

Logically there is no way Jephthah would have considered nursing barbecuing a human being. It defies any logic an Israelite would stand for. Besides that, it is crystal clear in Judges 11:31b what Jephthah planned to barbecue. Only the blind, deceiver and ignorant would not acknowledge or know this

Keep on doing this. You are doing a good job of the tail wagging the dog.
undecided
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by JujuSugar(f): 2:16pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Classic! I love this.
Ok

MuttleyLaff:

Coolio
Lame

MuttleyLaff:
He was in the first part of the vow thinking of whatever comes to meet him, human being or otherwise, and then clarified his intention in the second part of the vow what he will do, if what comes out happens to be an animal
Sir Muttley, @bolded please specify where in the bible Jephthah indicated this clarification

MuttleyLaff:

It is the issue. The pronoun is a game changer. The pronoun is truth standing and on steroids.
Seriously. It doesn't matter

MuttleyLaff:
Would you kindly please tell all and remind others, what is the pronoun used in Judges 11:31b Madam JujuSugar?
The pronoun used is "it". Your point?

MuttleyLaff:
That's because you are in denial
No. Its because you're desperately trying to distort the verses as much as you possibly can to deny the obvious moral of the story: God is fundamentally evil and a narcisstic sociopath who accepts the sacrifice of children without second thoughts. He has no excuse here because he knew exactly who would come out and meet Jephthah on his way back. Feel free to keep chasing your shadow on this issue.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by JujuSugar(f): 2:19pm On Feb 01, 2019
LordReed:

Yeah but you still get attempts to wash the story. Even on here you see MuttleyLaff challenging the narrative that Jephthah actually roasted his daughter.
I swear. These christians have an annoying habit of being dodgy as fvck.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 2:19pm On Feb 01, 2019
Dantedasz:
Keep on doing this. You are doing a good job of the tail wagging the dog.
undecided
I thoroughly enjoyed nonstamp' video again, very satirically entertaining again.

Do you know what your problem is. You are so blinkered by the trees, so can't because of them see the woods, that is why you are so fixated on the impression that Jephthah barbecued his daughter and other Abraham Isaac God misgivings you have
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by CodeTemplar: 2:28pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:

Are you trying to say God did not know that Jephthah's daughter was the first person Jephthah would see?
God may know but Jephthah knew it was a possibility before vowing.
It isn't about God here but Jephthah.
A man who pretends to be a cab driver or tricycle operator to kidnap his victims shouldn't turn around and blame God if caught because God knew he was going to be caught. He knew he could be caught.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by JujuSugar(f): 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2019
CodeTemplar:
God may know but Jephthah knew it was a possibility before vowing.
It isn't about God here but Jephthah.

A man who pretends to be a cab driver or tricycle operator to kidnap his victims shouldn't turn around and blame God if caught because God knew he was going to be caught.

He knew he could be caught.
Don't you see the problem here? How can a loving God know that someone would commit a crime, but let him go ahead even when the said crime will endanger both him and his victims?
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 2:34pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:

I swear. These christians have an annoying habit of being dodgy as fvck.
Christians can respond to that, as I am not holding brief

JujuSugar:
Ok
It's hilarious you saying God is responsible for your sins

JujuSugar:
Lame
Cripple

JujuSugar:
Whatever
People don't want to believe the truth because it will shatter their illusions

JujuSugar:

Seriously. It doesn't matter
It does as a crucial specimen of evidence matter

JujuSugar:
The pronoun used is "it". Your point?
Don't hit a man, talkess a madam, when down. The pronoun you've just confirmed is self evidence. I am sure you took English classes in primary and secondary schools

JujuSugar:
No. Its because you're desperately trying to distort the verses as much as you possibly can to deny the obvious moral of the story: God is fundamentally evil and a narcisstic sociopath who accepts the sacrifice of children without second thoughts. He has no excuse here because he knew exactly who would come out and meet Jephthah on his way back. Feel free to keep chasing your shadow on this issue.
Where did you get the warped idea God accepts sacrifice of children? Jephthah clearly stated in Judges 11:31a that if its human or animal that comes out to meet, such will be dedicated to God's purpose, then went on in Judges 11:31b to qualify his earlier pronounced vow, that, if it happens to be an animal, then it animal will be given up as a burnt offering to God
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by CodeTemplar: 2:44pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:

Don't you see the problem here? How can a loving God know that someone would commit a crime, but let him go ahead even when the said crime will endanger both him and his victims?
If you are asking God to take away our will do act creatively and destructively entirely, then you are asking God to turn the human race into a computer simulation.
In Eden, Adam ate the tree of knowledge of good and bad. That tells us there was a preceding factor in the case of Jephthah. Stop blaming God for all your woes and start looking more at yourself.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by Dantedasz(m): 2:47pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I thoroughly enjoy nonstamp' video again, very satirically entertaining again.

Do you know what your problem is. You are so blinkered by the trees, so can't because of them see the woods, that is why you are so fixated on the impression that Jephthah barbecued his daughter and other Abraham Isaac God misgivings you have
Okay.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 2:48pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:
This your scenario is so amateurish and full of naivety because of not understanding and knowing that God's integrity and His love is unquestionable. His character has no stain, blot or blemish. No one can scandalise God.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by CodeTemplar: 3:02pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:

The fact that God knows the future and still leaves room for good and bad things to happen isn't a fault of God. I have will power and can go out to slap any innocent bystander. Will I now sit and say God is wicked or bad for making it possible for the act to go ahead ? That won't make sense because I had enough will power and a conscience to guide me to decide against slapping an innocent man.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by JujuSugar(f): 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
It's hilarious you saying God is responsible for your sins
And its baffling how ignorant you are of the relationship between predestination and free will

MuttleyLaff:

Cripple
[img]https://media1./images/9d61a15470281122f253aedb9fa83320/tenor.gif[/img]

MuttleyLaff:

People don't want to believe the truth because it will shatter their illusions
I know right? Its crazy cheesy

MuttleyLaff:

It does as a crucial specimen of evidence matter
Advertise it all you want. It's irrelevant

MuttleyLaff:

Don't hit a man, talkess talk less a madam, when down. The pronoun you've just confirmed is self evidence.
It's not. If it is then why didn't God caution Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter if the pronoun is as vital as you're making it to be?

MuttleyLaff:

I am sure you took English classes in primary and secondary school
I did. I'm equally sure you have the ability to read?

MuttleyLaff:

Where did you get the warped idea God accepts sacrifice of children? Jephthah clearly stated in Judges 11:31a that if its human or animal that comes out to meet, such will be dedicated to God's purpose, then went on in Judges 11:31b to qualify his earlier pronounced vow, that, if it happens to be an animal, then it animal will be given up as a burnt offering to God
Twisting the scriptures to suit your argument - Christian logic #101
Sir Muttley, @bolded please specify exactly where in the bible Jephthah indicated this exemption...

CodeTemplar:
If you are asking God to take away our will do act creatively and destructively entirely, then you are asking God to turn the human race into a computer simulation.
In Eden, Adam ate the tree of knowledge of good and bad. That tells us there was a preceding factor in the case of Jephthah. Stop blaming God for all your woes and start looking more at yourself.
The idea of an omniscient, omniscient being contradicts the idea of free will. If God knows perfectly all future events, then all future events have already happened, therefore existence would ultimately be pointless and unimaginably drab. God is the author of the book and we're just characters in it. Every choice you make has already been written. He knows the end from the beginning. Denying this would be denying God's omni qualities.

MuttleyLaff:
This your scenario is so amateurish and full of naivety because of not understanding and knowing that God's integrity and His love is unquestionable. His character has no stain, blot or blemish. No one can scandalise God.
What's so hard for you to understand about the concepts of free will and predetermination,Mr. MuttleyLaff? You still haven't justified God's role in the Jephthah issue, so till then, kindly buzz off.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

If I were to test you both youse budaatum and frank317, the test will have to involve something you cherish, something you hold dearly, it will have to be with something they'll will have to kill you first and the prise your clinging on to fingers, off before they'll take the thing off you. You know thats how the cookie crumbles now.
Really, muttley? Is that how you are tested? You can't just test with something simple like, what is the sum of one plus two? No wonder your cookies crumble!

MuttleyLaff:

You are letting your emotions get the better of you
You know very well I get that way when you refuse to use your brain and resort to copious verbiage that anyone with an ounce of sense would cringe at and if I didn't know you had a brain in that head of your's or used it, I wouldn't get emotional!

Intentional ignorance gets me that way, muttley. I can't be unemotional when I see otherwise intelligent individuals sprouting what they cannot possibly believe but ask others to. The words "stones instead of bread" spring to my mind.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by CodeTemplar: 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:

The idea of an omniscient, omniscient being contradicts the idea of free will. If God knows perfectly all future events, then all future events have already happened, therefore existence would ultimately be pointless and unimaginably drab. God is the author of the book and we're just characters in it. Every choice you make has already been written. He knows the end from th beginning Denying this would be denying God's omni qualities.
If God doesn't give men the chance to act out their hearts, man will claim they are not capable of doing such since it never happened. It is like a poor man hoping to hammer or hit big so he can date one of the 'big' girls in town. if he gets the money he plans to date the girl and will, God already knows but is hesitant in blessing that man financially. The man goes to God and accuses God of starving him before men and finally God tests him by giving him his wish of money and boom! ... He goes to sin by dating that girl.
Finally he has followed his heart and somebody somewhere hurt by the act, may a wife to the man, starts saying God is wicked or bad for allowing his husband to cheat. Is God really wicked? Never. His anger is there, agreed but God isn't a bully.

The man had his will power all along. Remember Adam named all the animals in the garden and whatever name he gave them God agreed to it.

Man has a free will and God won't stifle it just to force us into heaven, instead he has prepared his word to feed our spirit and help strengthen our mind, soul, and spirit.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Keep on jumping from pillar to post with invalid comparisons
How is it an invalid comparison? Even today, the Jews justify their stealing of the land the Palestinians were on with what their god supposedly told them, so why would you not accept when Jihadists blow you up because their god told them to?
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by JujuSugar(f): 3:34pm On Feb 01, 2019
CodeTemplar:

If God doesn't give men the chance to act out their hearts, man will claim they are not capable of doing such since it never happened. It is like a poor man hoping to hammer or hit big so he can date one of the 'big' girls in town. if he gets the money he plans to date the girl and will, God already knows but is hesitant in blessing that man financially. The man goes to God and accuses God of starving him before men and finally God tests him by giving him his wish of money and boom! ... He goes to sin by dating that girl.
Finally he has followed his heart and somebody somewhere hurt by the act, may a wife to the man, starts saying God is wicked or bad for allowing his husband to cheat. Is God really wicked? Never. His anger is there, agreed but God isn't a bully.

The man had his will power all along. Remember Adam named all the animals in the garden and whatever name he gave them God agreed to it.

Man has a free will and God won't stifle it just to force us into heaven, instead he has prepared his word to feed our spirit and help strengthen our mind, soul, and spirit.
You're limiting God's omnipotence and omniscience here. These two can't coexist with free will. I'm open to correction if you think they aren't mutually exclusive concepts
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:36pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
They are not murders, that was God carry out and/or executing judgement. Now God specifically personally and directly authorised those people to carry out His command.
Isn't that also what boko haram and alqaeda say when they blow people up?
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:37pm On Feb 01, 2019
CreepyBlackpool:

Shifting, swinging, clutching straws, its like they just taught you those words in this week's reading comprehension passage. grin
Funny thing is, he's guilty of them all!
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 3:40pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:
And its baffling how ignorant you are of the relationship between predestination and free will
You are, what you are. Trust me, if I were God and knowing what and all I know about you, your bitchiness and all, I'll probably would not let you see the light of existence, but then God is more forgiving than I am, God is in more control of affair of things more than I am, so your tiny lucky arse sees the light of day on earth and you are still here taking in oxygen

JujuSugar:
I know right? Its crazy cheesy
Glad we sing from the same hymnn book there

JujuSugar:
Advertise it all you want. It's irrelevant
It is the show-stopper, the spanner thrown in the wheel of fantasy that Jephthah barbecued his daughter

JujuSugar:
It's not. If it is then why didn't God caution Jephthah from sacrificing his daughter if the pronoun is as vital as you're making it to be?
How many times do you want me to refute this. Watch my mouth and read my lips, it did not happen. Jephthah, even never nursed an idea to barbecue a human being. That is fake news

JujuSugar:
I did. I'm equally sure you have the ability to read?
Good, then go back to read what I dropped about pronouns in one of my earliest posts on this thread

JujuSugar:

Twisting the scriptures to suit your argument - Christian logic #101
Sir Muttley, @bolded please specify exactly where in the bible Jephthah indicated this exemption...
I numerous times already have, but because you do selective reading, you only read what you want to see and believe

JujuSugar:
The idea of an omniscient, omniscient being contradicts the idea of free will. If God knows perfectly all future events, then all future events have already happened, therefore existence would ultimately be pointless and unimaginably drab. God is the author of the book and we're just characters in it. Every choice you make has already been written. He knows the end from the beginning Denying this would be denying God's omni qualities.
So just because the author knows everything about the character, the book should not be written or acted in a play, huh?

JujuSugar:
What's so hard for you to understand about the concepts of free will and predetermination,Mr. MuttleyLaff? You still haven't justified God's role in the Jephthah issue, so till then, kindly buzz off.
Don't you dare use that tone with me madam. Keep it in check
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by CodeTemplar: 3:41pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:

You're limiting God's omnipotence and omniscience here. These two can't coexist with free will. I'm open to correction if you think they aren't mutually exclusive concepts
Stop being redundant bros. Gods omnipotence and omniscient nature doesn't contradict free will.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 3:44pm On Feb 01, 2019
budaatum:

Isn't that also what boko haram and alqaeda say when they blow people up?
Where is Boko and Queda in the Bible, mentioned and authorised by God to carry out commands for Him?

budaatum:

How is it an invalid comparison? Even today, the Jews justify their stealing of the land the Palestinians were on with what their god supposedly told them, so why would you not accept when Jihadists blow you up because their god told them to?
I have answered this with the above

budaatum:

Funny thing is, he's guilty of them all!
He can't even be original, those lines are mine he nicked
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:45pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
When you are done having a hard on, will you then please give me the names of those people that committed those acts in the Christian Crusades that God authorised.
Seriously, Muttley? Do you seriously not know the Crusaders were "God's Warriors", and they were fighting "God's War" ? Or are you claiming God didn't send them?
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 3:49pm On Feb 01, 2019
budaatum:

Seriously, Muttley? Do you seriously not know the Crusaders were "God's Warriors", and they were fighting "God's War" ? Or are you claiming God didn't send them?
Where in the Bible did God send them budaatum. We see God telling Abraham to go kill, we see God in the Bible telling the Israelites to kill the Canaanites etcetera. When and where in the Bible are the Crusaders mentioned and given authorisation by God to go on warrior paths budaatum?
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:51pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
It is not a bad deed, if God Himself auhorises you to do it.
You're so boko haramish and alqaedik, muttley!
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 3:53pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Where in the Bible did God send them budaatum. We see God telling Abraham to go kill, we see God in the Bible telling the Israelites to kill the Canaanites etcetera. When and where in the Bible are the Crusaders mentioned and given authorisation by God to go on warrior paths budaatum?
We don't see God telling Abraham anything, muttley, we simply read it and some of you think some god truly spoke to some Abraham, and unfortunately jump from that to god talking to them too!
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by MuttleyLaff: 4:04pm On Feb 01, 2019
budaatum:

We don't see God telling Abraham anything, muttley, we simply read it and some of you think some god truly spoke to some Abraham, and unfortunately jump from that to god talking to them too!
Swap see with read then and stop acting like you don't know or understand what I mean by that comment
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by JujuSugar(f): 4:05pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

[s]You are, what you are. Trust me, if I were God and knowing what and all I know about you, your bitchiness and all, I'll probably would not let you see the light of existence, but then God is more forgiving than I am, God is in more control of affair of things more than I am, so your tiny lucky arse sees the light of day on early and you are still here taking in oxygen[/s]
Lol, based on the jargon you just wrote I can tell you're getting emotional grin. Its not my fault you don't understand the concepts of predestination. You better pour some water in that pot before it gets damaged.

MuttleyLaff:

Glad we sing from the same hymnn hymn book there
Yeah. But only one of us understands the lyrics wink

MuttleyLaff:

It is the show-stopper, the spanner thrown in the wheel of fantasy that Jephthah barbecued his daughter
It's not relevant, MuttleyLaff. Just give up. You're trying to fit a camel through the eye of a needle

MuttleyLaff:
How many times do you want me to refute this. Watch my mouth and read my lips, it did not happen. Jephthah, even never nursed an idea to barbecue a human being. That is fake news
So why did he sacrifice his daughter then?

MuttleyLaff:
Good, then go back to read what I dropped about pronouns in one of my earliest posts on this thread
The emphasis you're laying on this pronoun stuff is... quite sad and desperate to be honest. If really the pronoun mattered, Jephthah wouldn't have even bother himself when his daughter came out.

MuttleyLaff:
I numerous times already have, but because you do selective reading, you only read what you want to see and believe
LMAO. I've caught you, Mr. Muttley grin
Please point to the part of Judges chapter 11 where Jephthah made an exception for sacrifice IF it was an animal that came out. Don't dodge this please. I'm waiting....

MuttleyLaff:
So just because the author knows everything about the character, the book should not be written or acted in a play, huh?
Even in a play, the actors have to follow the script; and the end of the script has already been planned before hand by the scriptwriters and directors. Keep chasing your shadow, sir. You're like a rat struggling to wriggle out of a trap at this point.

MuttleyLaff:
Don't you dare use that tone with me madam. Keep it in check
I feel your pain grin. But your misery and anxiety can only be quelled if you stop trying to distort the issue here.

CodeTemplar:
Stop being redundant bros. Gods omnipotence and omniscient nature doesn't contradict free will.

I've demonstrated my claim. You demonstrate yours.
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by budaatum: 4:20pm On Feb 01, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Swap see with read then and stop acting like you don't know or understand what I mean by that comment
Doesn't matter how you spin it muttley, boko haram and alqaeda too can write. You'd only argue god didn't write it just as I'd argue no god wrote your bible!

P.s. Are you not getting emotional!?
Re: Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child by CodeTemplar: 4:30pm On Feb 01, 2019
JujuSugar:
I've demonstrated my claim. You demonstrate yours.
I missed it please sample it again. I need to know your claim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pastor David Ibiyeomie / Oritsejafor Re-elected As CAN President / Before The Advent Of Sin, Did Adam And Eve Know How To Procreate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.