Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,038 members, 7,828,645 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? (47735 Views)

"If I Do Masters, Make I Bend" IMSU Student Laments On His Graduation Day. / What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Can I Do Masters With A 3rd Class Degree In Europe (USA)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by KendrickAyomide: 8:38am On Mar 16, 2019
grin
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by oldman112(m): 8:38am On Mar 16, 2019
So some people still want to spend time schooling, learn skills and try but if you are financially stable you can go further
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by coolestchris(m): 8:38am On Mar 16, 2019
me am a third class graduate but I have been working since after nysc

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by fergie001: 8:38am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
Hi, I finished with a Third Class degree in a Federal university and my question is, can I do masters or other higher qualifications....
Yes, you can......

Just get to register for a PGD programme......between 9-12months for full -time....before proceeding for Masters..

Best of luck....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Gkemz: 8:38am On Mar 16, 2019
You can't gain a direct entry into university for an MSc program and so may need to get a PGD first.
Advice i usually give to fresh graduates is to go and acquire skills that will help them in future, not necessarily in their career and not to wait for white collar job. Learn a trade if you can. Business is not meant only for the uneducated. The good thing is that you can combine both business and your studies as I'm currently doing. If someone had given me this advice when i graduated, i would have been greater than I am.

But if i may ask, why did you graduate with a third class degree, though i appreciate your boldness in asking for help.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by xtain7: 8:39am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
Hi, I finished with a Third Class degree in a Federal university and my question is, can I do masters or other higher qualifications....

Actually third class isn't a death sentence.
You need PGD, before you obtain your Msc.

Yes You can, if you follow the due process of obtaining it.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by StoneLucifer: 8:39am On Mar 16, 2019
Nobody gives third class degree holder employment these days and nobody admits 3rd class for masters degree directly. Go for PGD first and go and establish a trade..
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by northvietnam(m): 8:40am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
self esteem ke, that's not even remotely related.... I knew I could do better, besides my "thirdie was not academically related... I just want to know how it works... I'd googled up much on the PDG.. embarassed

Studied political science... offcourse, I have and nd I'm still learning self...

So u shameless had a third class in ordinary political science of all courses...

You are such a joke

5 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by adanny01(m): 8:41am On Mar 16, 2019
dante0147:
Even if you do PHD the highest you can get in Nigeria is Night shift supervisor in an Hotel in Lagos...

Salary 30k tops, excludes benefits like health,house but may be you can get allowance on Transport 200 naira per day x 30 days 6k so you should get up to 40k per month max!

I have several friends with third class doing well in several places both government and private sectors. One that comes to mind is a custom officer.

There's one who didnt even graduate but works in a multinational construction company.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by bluefilm: 8:41am On Mar 16, 2019
You're finished.

You better start all over.

Go and buy another JAMB form and start from there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
which course
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by HAkorehdeh(m): 8:41am On Mar 16, 2019
Forgive me for this! But if you're really interested in schooling, you wouldn't have graduated with a third class. You don't have to do what others are doing. How about looking into what you're interested in? What suits you yourself as a profession.
I've never seen any job taking a third class even with masters. You better find something else you are passionate about. Book is not for everybody and no be everybody go work for office.

6 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by freemi(m): 8:41am On Mar 16, 2019
Oblongata:
May your heart desires be yours. .

Go for PGD or advanced diploma

But if I were you, i would go for another degree or same degree in a distant learning University (like noun),
why do u suggest Anoda degree

1 Like

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by uriris: 8:43am On Mar 16, 2019
Eliteklaus:
Masters requirements for University of Lagos
http://resose.com/23047//1TIPW/?sc=1&sc=1&l=1&ppy=4900658&i=4900658

People should not click on this link ó. Phishing. This mad man will takeover your fb account.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Dhortunn(m): 8:45am On Mar 16, 2019
Bro. Find something to do to make yourself money and be happy. You can as well later go on to read more on your chosen field if you wish but this time, you would have been financially independent which comes with a form of confidence and fulfillment.

It is never over. Never!

Surulere

1 Like

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by olamisegbe(m): 8:45am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
you need start with PGD with duration of 9-12month, then MSC.
And about job. trust me u get a job even beyond your expectations

3 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by kingofabia: 8:45am On Mar 16, 2019
You can do a professional masters like MPIA in unilag. There are other courses too that you do go for

twentyk:

2 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by armzyville(m): 8:46am On Mar 16, 2019
coolestchris:
me am a third class graduate but I have been working since after nysc
tell us more about ur experience and how u got a job...
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Amuocha: 8:46am On Mar 16, 2019
Repeat your Bachelors
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by dante0147: 8:47am On Mar 16, 2019
adanny01:

I have several friends with third class doing well in several places both government and private sectors. One that comes to mind is a custom officer.

There's one who didnt even graduate but works in a multinational construction company.

I ain’t surprised about your friends .. THIS is Nigeria ! Besides I bet they got those jobs with the help of people ..

2 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Elthugnificent(m): 8:47am On Mar 16, 2019
lonelydora:
Whatever your plan is, always remember the world is run by people who didn't go to school.

Don't lose your self-esteem. A friend of mine who had 3rd class back in school now employs some of his classmates who had 1.1, 2.1, and 2.2 in his group of companies
why didn't he employ only people with 3rd class?

1 Like

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
First of all apply for postgraduate diploma which is one year as the case may be and then further to m.sc when you meet up with the requirements.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by UNGOBACK: 8:51am On Mar 16, 2019
If you need a loan kindly check my signature
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by ignis: 8:52am On Mar 16, 2019
hakeem4:
Yes you can do. But I would advice you to get work experience first

When first class and second class upper graduates are still looking for work.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by markfour(m): 8:52am On Mar 16, 2019
yes bt only master of food, lazy nigga !
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Oooops: 8:53am On Mar 16, 2019
OP, pls take this from someone that has done a PGD before. Don't waste your time and money.
PGD is a waste of time.
I'll tell u why:
First they tell you it 18months. Trust me u will spend much longer. It can get up to three years. Universities don't pay attention to PGD students hence na anytime dey like dem dey attend to them. I spent close to three years for PGD at Unizik. Still even waiting for the result since 2014.

Secondly, you spend a while lot of money. You may think you'll pay ur fees maybe once or twice, trust me it can get up to thrice, d fees don't stop from one story to another.

Thirdly even if you do 4 PGD's the first point of call when applying for anything is your first degree. When it doesn't meet their 1.1 or 2.1 your PGD doesn't matter. PGD doesn't cover your first degree by anymeans. Only few firms or properly lecturing MAY give u audience.

My Advice
Apply for a D.E start from 300level and get a good first degree.
Or Go do professional courses, well known ones. The ACA, the ICAN, belong to a professional body, etc.

16 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Quality20(m): 8:53am On Mar 16, 2019
so u want to be a lecturer ? Academics is not bad at all, but make sure you go for PhD as well
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 8:54am On Mar 16, 2019
Its possible.

CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by lielbree: 8:54am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
I finished with 3rd class too. Yes you can do masters. You have to do PGD first. I just completed mine and I've gotten admission for masters.

All the best.

5 Likes

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Auladimeji2: 8:56am On Mar 16, 2019
Run for a political post and see how 1st students worship you

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fatima Bombom-Sani Shines At Nigeria Law School, Breaks Record / Akin Baruwa Jailed 21 Years For Raping Admission Seeker / 8 Things Hostel Life Will Teach You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.