Stats: 3,156,058 members, 7,828,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? (47736 Views)

"If I Do Masters, Make I Bend" IMSU Student Laments On His Graduation Day. / What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / Can I Do Masters With A 3rd Class Degree In Europe (USA)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by immaculate1234(m): 11:03am On Mar 16, 2019
give people wey dey sell akara your certificate, sku na scam
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by millionboi2: 11:03am On Mar 16, 2019
bot101:

Nah...that's not what I am saying. The moment you look down on others (like you've done to people with paid employment), that very moment, your failure as an employer of labour begins because guess what, your staff are in that class of people, and will inevitably be the cause of your business failure. Also, if you recruit staff based on academic qualifications, and not skill, you will be on the losing end because skill trumps academic qualifications anyday, anytime!!

There are certain risks true entrepreneurs never take because they amount to gambling. You take informed risks (even though there's a fear of failure) which greatly reduces chances of failure. Uninformed risks on the other hand (gambling) has a much higher chance of failure as well as the same fear factor of informed risks. Skill over certificate is one of these informed risks, because you can already measure staff performance even before they start working with you, cost less to manage and train, and have higher output/better results. Looking at certificate on the other hand, especially in a Nigerian society where grades are literally bought with money, is a perfect recipe for disaster!!!! Look beyond the certificate!!!!
No,No and No

Im not looking down on paid employment but as I said ,it irritates me wen salary earners boast about dia pay.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by adexuxin(m): 11:07am On Mar 16, 2019
Oga go and find how to turn fifty kobo to 1N . Masters PhD everything is now useless
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by dante0147: 11:10am On Mar 16, 2019
bot101:

Says a nobody to a company that has raised $480k in foreign investments, and currently raising another $1m from other foreign investors. Bro, you are very smart ooo!! Very very smart!!!

Side note to other readers: he probably doesn't know what foreign investment is, so y'all can advice him to Google it, at least he'd learn something new today.

Rome wasn’t built in a day besides the so called companies that raised that amount you stated, started from somewhere it’s a gradual process you waif !!!! Bruv one thing I will say to you is this ... THE day you Register a Company, Employ people and Pay them ( Besides I have started paying minimum wage to non professional staffs), Pay Company Taxes ETC then you can talk to me...
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by PapaAdanna: 11:11am On Mar 16, 2019
PGD, is the first step before masters in this case
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by darlenese(f): 11:11am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
Hi, I finished with a Third Class degree in a Federal university and my question is, can I do masters or other higher qualifications....

you can do your masters with a 3rd class, if it's within the same department. ignore those telling u have a do a Pgd first, it's only when u are choosing a course outside your department

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by mechanics(m): 11:12am On Mar 16, 2019
You will have to do PGD, but confirm from the school you want to further your studies.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by maxlev1: 11:12am On Mar 16, 2019
OP pls don't mind some of the negative responders. I am a mech Engr working in one of the oil n gas companies. I can vividly tell u that most companies don't even need Nigerian degree to employ u. what makes u relevant in some of this companies is ur certifications because they know it is practical oriented and we are in a practical world. There are departments that look at Uni degrees but u will still have to be trained because Nigerian Education is not the true test of knowledge. They system is flawed. Cramming to give back d lecturer what he gave u isn't d best way to learn.

On the main reason u are here, I suggest u visit a uni u would like to do ur PGD in and ask questions so u can get advice from professionals there. PGD I think takes abt 8 months in most Nigerian uni and masters takes like 18months. All d best

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by dan41(m): 11:14am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:
Hi, I finished with a Third Class degree in a Federal university and my question is, can I do masters or other higher qualifications....
Try go for PGD first, then you can pursue your master
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by ttmax09(m): 11:16am On Mar 16, 2019
maxlev1:
OP pls don't mind some of the negative responders. I am a mech Engr working in one of the oil n gas companies. I can vividly tell u that most companies don't even need Nigerian degree to employ u. what makes u relevant in some of this companies is ur certifications because they know it is practical oriented and we are in a practical world. There are departments that look at Uni degrees but u will still have to be trained because Nigerian Education is not the true test of knowledge. They system is flawed. Cramming to give back d lecturer what he gave u isn't d best way to learn.

On the main reason u are here, I suggest u visit a uni u would like to do ur PGD in and ask questions so u can get advice from professionals there. PGD I think takes abt 8 months in most Nigerian uni and masters takes like 18months. All d best
So true if u can't cram nothing for u. garbage in garbage out

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by dante0147: 11:16am On Mar 16, 2019
blaqtom:

obi c wetin u align

Can you just read what you wrote ?
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Nobody: 11:18am On Mar 16, 2019
You are asking a rhetorical question. You already know the answer.

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Ewedegubbler: 11:21am On Mar 16, 2019
Join APC and you might become the president in a few years time. After all Buhari, Oshiomhole, Tinubu, Mc Oluomo and other APC leaders no get the degree wey u get...
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by komols856: 11:22am On Mar 16, 2019
[quote author=twentyk post=76691296]Hi, I finished with a Third Class degree in a Federal university and my question is, can I do masters or other higher qualifications.... [/quot

yes you can do your master at even Unilag if only you can study very well to pass their entrance exam without PGD.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Nobody: 11:23am On Mar 16, 2019
Dudeweedlmao:
Depends on the 3rd class GP.

If its 2.8/4 you can.

If its 2.8/5 you can't

See dis one .....if you have 2.8/5 thats 2.2 .
2.2 starts from 2.50-3.49 on a 5-point gradescale. You may be admitted for a M.SC if u have a 2-2 (strong one).
Op, the only way you can do a Masters is if you do a PGD first. After your PGD, go for masters immediately.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by flakeStar: 11:25am On Mar 16, 2019
Yes you can do a Master's degree directly but only in the same department in the same institution, any attempt to change courses will require a Postgraduate diploma and in some cases a few final year course work

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 16, 2019
[quote author=komols856 post=76704421][/quote]

Bros UNILAG only admits 2.1 or PGD
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by awoluyi(m): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2019
dante0147:

Destiny limiter ? I bet you have ever helped anyone in your life... Swine!

Na waoo. I have the feeling that you made ordinary PASS degree at the end of your course which is ok for selling spare parts. This is my last comment to a Destiny limiter if I do not want to become like him.

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Bobolanko(m): 11:31am On Mar 16, 2019
Werey
dante0147:
Even if you do PHD the highest you can get in Nigeria is Night shift supervisor in an Hotel in Lagos...

Salary 30k tops, excludes benefits like health,house but may be you can get allowance on Transport 200 naira per day x 30 days 6k so you should get up to 40k per month max!
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by kenneth99920: 11:33am On Mar 16, 2019
massinola:

Bro, pgd isn't 18months oh, before you get frustrated along the line. Federal university of technology minna is one of the cheapest and fastest schools to do any postgraduate program. I finished my master program last year there, and you know what? The PGD students I started the program with in 2015/2016 session graduated with me. That's almost three years. They will tell you 18months. Enter first and see for yourself. No be naija uni again

pls can I gave ur number so I can call u sir
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Tareq1105: 11:35am On Mar 16, 2019
twentyk:

Never cast away your confidence because you had Third Class.

Your future is greater and brighter.

Remain resolute and focus on your goals.

May God continue to guide you aright amen.

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by ola9ja(m): 11:38am On Mar 16, 2019
Davash222:
Go and learn trade!!!

I can bet you that the guy with a third class is 200% smarter than you, though you could be more intelligent than him academically , of which I doubt, because people like you have sorted all your life in school and finally came out with a 2:1 or so, but if you do not have a first class, keep your stinking mouth shut because you didn't max it all, you should answer the guys question with respect. Mind you certificates is just overated, exam is never the true test of knowledge.

Finally, anyone can learn a trade, even if you have a first class degree, but you sounded archaic in your response, if you are advising someone to learn a trade, why make it looks as if you are demeaning the persons worth or self esteem.

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by computer0810(m): 11:38am On Mar 16, 2019
Ewedegubbler:
Join APC and you might become the president in a few years time. After all Buhari, Oshiomhole, Tinubu, Mc Oluomo and other APC leaders no get the degree wey u get...
theres no politician as educated as tinubu in d whole of SE....if there r any name them pls and check tinubu profile

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by abudawah(m): 11:44am On Mar 16, 2019
]Hi, I finished with a Third Class degree in a Federal university and my question is, can I do masters or other higher qualifications....
Do a pgd. And move on from there. I had a third class but today I have two Masters and presently doing a PhD.

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by wabuk(m): 11:46am On Mar 16, 2019
ignis:

When first class and second class upper graduates are still looking for work.
let me tell you my brother 3 class usually get work more than 1class or 2class. They do have thie luck.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by deebrain(m): 11:57am On Mar 16, 2019
sherylbakky:
PGD is doable, u can run ur masters after that. But pls dont lose ur self-esteem cos of ur grade, Ok? It doesnt hlp

Best comment

Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by ayoshyne(m): 12:01pm On Mar 16, 2019
Budex40:

Bros UNILAG only admits 2.1 or PGD

Wrong! "@only" UNILAG admits 3rd class in some selected masters programmed like MILR (master in industrial and Labour relations), psychology, MILD, MELS and some few other courses without Pgd only if u can pass the entrance exam.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by HAkorehdeh(m): 12:02pm On Mar 16, 2019
quickberry:

Pot calling kettle black

Lol, I just corrected it. I over-relied on my keyboard's prediction and I forgot to do a recheck.

Thanks anyway!
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by massinola(m): 12:07pm On Mar 16, 2019
kenneth99920:

pls can I gave ur number so I can call u sir
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Olajah81: 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
Go and learn barbing
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
LiveByNight:

Oh shut it

I got a thirdie and have been living the dream from 6-7 figure jobs no msc .. no connection no help but God

So yes I am in a position to call him out for being a slave to his own opinions

Now you are too dumb to understand this comment being that you wanted to come off as being concerned you hastily displayed your stupidity

Bros, na lie, you are just a non sensitive person who discriminate and judge people based on their grade.
Re: Finished With A Third Class Degree, Can I Do Masters? by hayzed1090: 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2019
ttmax09:
Why do people always think that 3rd class graduates are academically dull. Let me tell u a story, During my undergraduates days 1 of the best guys in my class did graduate with a 3rd. Dude was good practically, bt couldn't cope with the academics reason being that he was not a good crammer. And sure u know if you ain't a good crammer nothing for u in Nigeria uni's. To cut the long story short dude is now in Canada working with a multinational. PS this guy helped most of us with our project back then.

You said it all... u need to be a good crammer to excel in most Nigerian institutions . LA CRAM LA POUR...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fatima Bombom-Sani Shines At Nigeria Law School, Breaks Record / Akin Baruwa Jailed 21 Years For Raping Admission Seeker / 8 Things Hostel Life Will Teach You!