Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,785 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then - Nairaland / General (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then (22077 Views)

If All Our Parents Used To Take First Position, Who Takes The Other Positions? / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Nice Vs Rugged Man, Who Was Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

It is, getting people to talk about it is a massive step forward in the right direction.

Yea, and I really do hope you listen to some of the suggestions you are getting here. I'm actually a bit worried about you.  embarassed  embarassed
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 22, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Then you shouldn't have started it in the first place. Please face another direction.

mädchen:

No energy to throw more light on that one! Please read slowly, it will come to you surely!

No fighting here pls!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Yea, and I really do hope you listen to some of the suggestions you are getting here. I'm actually a bit worried about you.  embarassed  embarassed

A lot of people read and take things away which sometimes are used positively. I am good. Heading out in the evening to take some wild photography, so yeah am good. wink
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

A lot of people read and take things away which sometimes are used positively. I am good. Heading out in the evening to take some wild photography, so yeah am good. wink

Lol  grin

Photography is good, really good. But you are not actually dealing with the problem. You are just hiding behind the wild life and camera!

I still say you reach out to your sister. I can hold your hand if you want  wink  cheesy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:34pm On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

Lord knows I feel better now after reading through 8 pages of different levels os child abuse/discipline. If only there was a way to get our parents to read this thread.

most of our parents imho are now in the know that they went overboard - the real question is whether we will not repeat thier mistakes, or even worse - do a 180 and punish nothing our children do
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ok, we just had Sunday church service and I usually see the rapport between my friends and their mothers. It was and still is a beautiful experience for me seeing how friendly these girls or anybody is with their mothers. So this particular Sunday, I wanted to go the friendly route with my mother. So after church service, I saw her heading for the gates and I approached her and said something like 'mummy. mummy' cheesy. As usual she killed the moment and retorted angrily 'what are you still doing here? Would you get yourself back home? What are you still doing hanging around the church? You'd better get back to the house.' undecided  That totally killed my spirits.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by johnterry4: 1:40pm On Sep 22, 2010
madchen,no vex spikecylinder.if u vex her,i go arrange a room make she go finish u there.
@topic,
while growing up,my parents always told me that ibos are the worst creatures.if they wanted us -d children to feel bad,they would call us omo ibos.to them,the ibos are more dangerous than snakes.i grew up thinking that the ibos are as bad as my parents said.now,my best friend is an ibo guy,my gf is an ibo and i have some many ibos as friends.why should i hate them?afterall,god created them to be from dat tribe.this is so common in most yoruba families where our parents try to poison our mind abt the ibos.what ever happened between us in the past should be laid to rest.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by teskyg: 1:44pm On Sep 22, 2010
My Dad was a custom officer and i received  douse of baton on my head any time i failed any classwork or Assignment.He was always on patrol and my joy knows no bound anytime he was away for weeks.My house was guarded by  stern looking junior officers who were instructed to ensure that we don't cross the gate.

We don't  accept food from any body.I have schooled so much on this that,even as of today,i find it difficult to eat any time i visit my close family members(even my cousins).
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 1:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Lol  grin

Photography is good, really good. But you are not actually dealing with the problem. You are just hiding behind the wild life and camera!

I still say you reach out to your sister. I can hold your hand if you want  wink  cheesy

I agree, it is a coping mechanism I have in place. I really have let it go, however talking about it makes me upset and relieved at the same time. I guess the upset comes in as a result of Sister STILL not seeing the error of her ways.

Take for example, her son was here for some exchange programme with the One UK university. I drove him all the way from London - Newcastle (He had friends with him) and I paid for his accommodation and gave him money etc. He stayed with me and what not. I mean, anyone who drive will tell you London - Newcastle is very far. And I mean very far.

All of the above are no biggies for me, but my sister did come across like I owed her or something, and to make matters worse (for reasons I dont wanna go into) her son pissed me off and starting to get involve. Whatever the case, she's made it hard for me to have a relationship with her, and my fear is that she is putting that same poison in her kids. I have vowed on my life that the whole hatred things stops on me and it will never go another generation, but someone my sister is starting to be successful in getting her kids involve.

What was my point again? Can remember lol. Playing pro online jare.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 22, 2010
shocked shocked shocked Dayokanu! And i thot my dad was bad!

The man flogged me so bad for eating akara too slowly when i was 4 until i passed out. I still have faint cane marks on my left cheek from that wanton moment of child abuse. Many times i find myself laughing at the usual - "i will kill you today and not miss you, at least i have 2 other children".
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

I agree, it is a coping mechanism I have in place. I really have let it go, however talking about it makes me upset and relieved at the same time. I guess the upset comes in as a result of Sister STILL not seeing the error of her ways.

Take for example, her son was here for some exchange programme with the One UK university. I drove him all the way from London - Newcastle (He had friends with him) and I paid for his accommodation and gave him money etc. He stayed with me and what not. I mean, anyone who drive will tell you London - Newcastle is very far. And I mean very far.

All of the above are no biggies for me, but my sister did come across like I owed her or something, and to make matters worse (for reasons I dont wanna go into) her son pissed me off and starting to get involve. Whatever the case, she's made it hard for me to have a relationship with her, and my fear is that she is putting that same poison in her kids. I have vowed on my life that the whole hatred things stops on me and it will never go another generation, but someone my sister is starting to be successful in getting her kids involve.

What was my point again? Can remember lol. Playing pro online jare.

Okay El, I understand. It's worse cos she's not owning up to her mistatkes and is even involving her kids! I honestly do not care about her, it's you I'm worried about. Are you reaaly going to live the rest of your life having squabbles with ur sister and her kids? Won't your own kids pick up on the whole thing? Don't you think it'll affect them?  undecided

Isnt there a way to avoid all of that?  undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 1:58pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Okay El, I understand. It's worse cos she's not owning up to her mistatkes and is even involving her kids! I honestly do not care about her, it's you I'm worried about. Are you reaaly going to live the rest of your life having squabbles with your sister and her kids? Won't your own kids pick up on the whole thing? Don't you think it'll affect them?  undecided

Isnt there a way to avoid all of that?  undecided

I'm not sure there is a squabble as such, I am more or less dealing with people I get along now. The only thing is that I communicate less with her, but more with her kids. It is the best I can do. You cannot force a horse to drink water jare you see. To be honest, I am happier that way and no I am not lying.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by denzel2009: 2:01pm On Sep 22, 2010
There was a similar thread few months ago https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-408523.0.html

I remembered my Dad blowing my younger sister's ICAN final exams fees, come and see pandemonium in the house.

When she finally started working and got her first upfront salary, about 300k.Dad advised her he would invest in shares and high interest investments for her. You can as well guess what happened.

Mum can go to any church where miracles are happening. She once went to a Church by Pastor Asolo, in that church they pray in the name of Asolo. Like the God of Asolo let me prosper etc. Anytime she is praying in her room all of us including our Dad would be peeking and laughing at her while facing pastor Asolo's calendar.

Most of the time she would bring prayer water and we must always drink from that water and add some into our bathing water.

She once brought home prayer biro and pencil when I wanted to write my SSCE, WAEC didnt even release that result till today.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 22, 2010
Quote from: ElRazur on Today at 01:47:25 PM

i guess your sister is entertaining the elusion and passing it on - that she is responsible for what you are today that you are ungrateful because u now have money etc etc

sadly, its also something we sometimes see when relatives take in wards in order to 'better' them - the wards become househelps in all but name. the very smart ones make it in spite of this - and the relatives then  try to take credit for these achievements
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Yorisb: 2:12pm On Sep 22, 2010
davidylan:

shocked shocked shocked Dayokanu! And i thot my dad was bad!

The man flogged me so bad for eating akara too slowly when i was 4 until i passed out. I still have faint cane marks on my left cheek from that wanton moment of child abuse. Many times i find myself laughing at the usual - "i will kill you today and not miss you, at least i have 2 other children".

U own betta sef since u were even allowed to eat 'em. . .Mine was eh, I was forced 2 sell/hawk d akara/bread on children day's celebration(27th may - at polo park/okpara square) whilst some of my friends/classmates(esp those i dey do bigboy for), dressed nicely, pulling "funny" faces and were laughing at me. The next day at school my mates were making jokes at me - calling me Akara boy. It was quite humiliating and torturing. I can neva forget this!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 22, 2010
Now that i've started thinking of my own children, i horrifically find myself begining to like some of those things my dad would do to me back in the days. I would not hesitate to flog my own child very well . . . i dont believe in the system of raising children in the west . . .

Its all good to blame our parents . . . at the end of the day we might be no better than they were. I learnt to forgive my parents long ago, at least now they try to say "i love you" every two minutes and sometimes it can be uncomfortable especially as you were not used to hearing it from them for so long.

Yeah i will love my own kids too, but the tradition of serious whipping must be passed on to the next generation. Afterall how would they claim a nigerian heritage too.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 2:15pm On Sep 22, 2010
oyb:

i guess your sister is entertaining the elusion and passing it on - that she is responsible for what you are today that you are ungrateful because u now have money etc etc

sadly, its also something we sometimes see when relatives take in wards in order to 'better' them - the wards become househelps in all but name. the very smart ones make it in spite of this - and the relatives then  try to take credit for these achievements

Yes. You are correct. But she is wrong. I was born here, and just so happen to live in naija after mum died. I partly went to a public school and whatever I am today, am sorry she deserves no credit whatsoever for it.  Not to sound like I am bragging, if I am not an intelligent person, I would have suffered as a result of how she messed me up in my opinion.

I really still do not know why my dad allowed me to go and live with her, he was doing well in lokoja, but just one day decided to offload me over to lagos without no explanation. Smh.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 2:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

No fighting here pls!
Fighting? undecided Nah, That was just a case of mild irritation. No feathers ruffled
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Gamine(f): 2:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
I've read worse things but this is also serious, very very sad, too much baggage.

These things were wrong back then, they are still wrong and will always be.
It's left for us to 'Do the right thing'

I think my parents staying apart for long periods did cause some issues,
where we had to choose who we preferred.
Also, I wish they made more money.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 2:20pm On Sep 22, 2010
davidylan:

Now that i've started thinking of my own children, i horrifically find myself begining to like some of those things my dad would do to me back in the days. I would not hesitate to flog my own child very well . . . i dont believe in the system of raising children in the west . . .

Its all good to blame our parents . . . at the end of the day we might be no better than they were. I learnt to forgive my parents long ago, at least now they try to say "i love you" every two minutes and sometimes it can be uncomfortable especially as you were not used to hearing it from them for so long.

Yeah i will love my own kids too, but the tradition of serious whipping must be passed on to the next generation. Afterall how would they claim a nigerian heritage too.
Not really strange to read this-. It's a common cycle. The abused becomes the abuser when the opportunity arises. sad
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Yorisb: 2:20pm On Sep 22, 2010
stillwater:

Ok, we just had Sunday church service and I usually see the rapport between my friends and their mothers. It was and still is a beautiful experience for me seeing how friendly these girls or anybody is with their mothers. So this particular Sunday, I wanted to go the friendly route with my mother. So after church service, I saw her heading for the gates and I approached her and said something like 'mummy. mummy' cheesy. As usual she killed the moment and retorted angrily 'what are you still doing here? Would you get yourself back home? What are you still doing hanging around the church? You'd better get back to the house.' undecided  That totally killed my spirits.

grin grin grin. . .I have seen a lot of this from my Mum too so I know wat u mean. hmm My Mum get PHD for this department eh. .the woman can snub chai I neva see!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by jaybee3(m): 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2010
@EL
I did london to sunderland 2 weeks ago and i was like WTF, i def ain't doing this again.
Drove for 8 hrs combined all in a single day
PS: Sunderland is like 15 miles from Newcastle
I swear you don try. Your NL bravado aside, you are a very genuine nice person cos me i don't think i can forgive such.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by mothersjoy: 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2010
Elrazur, I fully understand the ongoing issue with the STILL situation. You need to focus on things and people who bring you joy that is what i realised. People will always feel that you owe them. When in fact they are just users, greedy and ungrateful SAS. In my case the beef with my mum came to a head when i would not build a mansion for her and her total inability to take any responsibility and instead her need to continue to abuse and insult about what my mates do for their mothers. This is after I have given her the money  to build years back and she used it for something else and the fact I have financed the international university student fees for 2 of my siblings.

The only thing she has done for me is pay for nursery when my father did not at 2 years old and only for the one year and in her words that is what has made me who I am today, laughable i say.  Like i say they own the air you breath as they breath life into you, My daughter is my joy and i never go without letting her know how much she means to me. She gets uncountable hugs, kisses and i love you everyday.

My grandmother and dad have passed on and when they were around it really was not so bad cos emotionally my focus was more on them although mummy still got all my money. My philosophy now is do what you can and let God be the judge as there is no pleasing them. With siblings its a shame when you cant have at least a cordial relationship. When you come to the conclusion that someone is a me person and they are not mature in mind enough to look at the bigger picture you really have to let them be for your own peace of mind. Forgive and move your focus away and on to better things. It is well.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

Yes. You are correct. But she is wrong. I was born here, and just so happen to live in naija after mum died. I partly went to a public school and whatever I am today, am sorry she deserves no credit whatsoever for it.  Not to sound like I am bragging, if I am not an intelligent person, I would have suffered as a result of how she messed me up in my opinion.

I really still do not know why my dad allowed me to go and live with her, he was doing well in lokoja, but just one day decided to offload me over to lagos without no explanation. Smh.

Look at it this way. She had her own children, her own responsibility . . only to have you thrusted uopn her. She was prolly taking out her frutrations on you. While that was veeeeeeeery wrong, you can at least try to see things from her own perspective!

She still thinks that the little resources she had to spend on you was a huge sacrifice on her part.

Honestly, I think you guys should talk about it!  undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Orilee9ice(m): 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2010
@ everyone who had contributed to this thread, THANK YOU!.It is my prayer that GOD WILL CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU ALL ABUNDANTLY IJN .you will see your children's children and their success in life will be in your  lifetime as well IJN.
@ ElRazur and man mi, Dayo!
i really do feel y'all, if i start to tell you my story (and Dayo, i am the first born in my family 2.and i have a twin bro- very identical) you will see that your's is just an episode of a soap opera while mine is the whole soap opera itself, imagine having a very strict father who always came 1st in his class (kings college lagos) when he was in sec sch, , my mum went to MGHS, and if she came 2nd peren in her class like this, her dad would not sign her card and she will not be seen outside for the whole summer break, my twin bro was the "iwelumo" while i was the "raare" of the family and the social-happening one, so i was always compared with my twin all the time that in tyme i couldnt stand him,(in a way b'cos of that we are still not very close till 2day sha!) i dont think there was a week an extended family meeting was not held b'cos of me sometimes it will start on friday nite and end after church on sunday, ayimoye, "get out of my house" and i would reply back that this was my father's house and i wasnt going anywhere.that my dad should go to "his father's house instead", lol, when i was going to uni, i chose all the very far ones so i would be outta their reach for a while but lo and behold, my dad, worked it and i ended up in unilag, and still the saga continued, i[i] think i shared with you earlier how he came to disgrace me there one sunday afternoon after church after the whole of lagos saw me win a dancing cmpetition on NTA (TELEVISED LIVE), my dad thot he was wise then , but i was wiser and always one step ahead of him. at all times, and i tamed him in my own little way[/i].  but i thank god for what i am 2day.and what i am laying down for my kids too, i have told them my story (when i lecture my eldest (14)  and start with, in my day, she goes, here we go again, lol) and they laugh with "grandpa" about it now when he comes over, , i gave a live testimony of how i was raised at his 70th birthday party a couple of years ago and everyone present nearly fell outta their seats, and he acknowleged it too, i guess what i am trying to say is that regardless of  the ill treatment then it made me what i am 2day.but i am sane enough not to repeat the same on my kids, even though u 2 are sort of like joking about your experiences now, i can tell that they are still "lingering in your life" and you have not "let go yet", LET GO, AND LET GOD!, is all i can say to that, I HAVE, , The irony of it all now is that my dad (bless him) will consult me first b4 he takes any major decisions now (and not my iwelumo  twin bro), if i am not around and no matter how important it is, it will wait until i am around to sanction it, he now sees EVERYTHING from my point of view and what i say is final!, it wasnt me, IT WAS GOD!, the bible says "honour thy father and mother so that it shall be well with you, (quoting off head there, )in as much as i have enjoyed this thread, and the contributions so far, i think its going too deep and emotional now, and we should know when to stop and think, anywayz enuff said!, selah!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Look at it this way. She had her own children, her own responsibility . . only to have you thrusted uopn her. She was prolly taking out her frutrations on you. While that was veeeeeeeery wrong, you can at least try to see things from her own perspective!

She still thinks that the little resources she had to spend on you was a huge sacrifice on her part.

actually, i'm very sure his dad was sending feeding money etal
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Wallie(m): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2010
davidylan:

I think that the cycle can be broken as there is a fine line between abuse and discipline. One just has to check one’s action to make sure it doesn’t go overboard. In Yoruba, there’s a saying that, “ti o ba fi owo otun ba omo wi, wa fi owo osi fa mora.” Excluding the fact that I probably just murdered that quote and Yoruba, it literally means that when you spank a kid with your right hand, you should pull the kid closer to you with your left hand.

In other words, even if you have to discipline your kids, you have to re-assure them of your love not long afterwards and explain to them why they deserved the spanking. You might even consider bribing them after the disciplinary action.

The truth is that when a kid has a health dose of respect for you as the person in charge, you don’t even have to discipline that kid any longer because he/she will tend to listen to what you say when you’re serious. But you need to establish that your warnings are not empty.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 22, 2010
oyb:

actually, i'm very sure his dad was sending feeding money etal

You think  

Then what would justify her putting him in a local school and giving him less money    undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Wallie(m): 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
jay bee:

@EL
I did london to sunderland 2 weeks ago and i was like WTF, i def ain't doing this again.
I swear you don try. Your NL bravado aside, you are a very genuine nice person cos me i don't think i can forgive such.

You think driving 8 hours in a day is a lot? You need to come and see yankee driving! I personally have driven 15 hours in a day. I normally drive about 8 hrs+ per day a few times per year when traveling to Canada.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
Wallie:

I think that the cycle can be broken as there is a fine line between abuse and discipline. One just has to check one’s action to make sure it doesn’t go overboard. In Yoruba, there’s a saying that, “ti o ba fi owo otun ba omo wi, wa fi owo osi fa mora.” Excluding the fact that I probably just murdered that quote and Yoruba, it literally means that when you spank a kid with your right hand, you should pull the kid closer to you with your left hand.

In other words, even if you have to discipline your kids, you have to re-assure them of your love not long afterwards and explain to them why they deserved the spanking. You might even consider bribing them after the disciplinary action.

The truth is that when a kid has a health dose of respect for you as the person in charge, you don’t even have to discipline that kid any longer because he/she will tend to listen to what you say when you’re serious. But you need to establish that your warnings are not empty.

True!!

I can't imagine pouring hot water on my kids, how would I explian to them that I did that out of love    undecided

Parents should also realize that there is a huge difference between fear and respect! I would rather my kids listen to me out of respect than out of fear!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2010
jay bee:

@EL

I had four of us in the car, me, my sister son (nephew) and two of his uni friends who packed like they are going on an expedition. I spend over 150pounds on Pertol alone, minus the break fast and lunch we had on the motorway. Oh, and I had to drive back same day. Omo I will NEVER do that again.  The thing be say if i don put am for National coach, e go cost me 6pounds. Six freaking pounds lol. But I figured he knows no one up there and he may no understand the accent etc, also I thought taking him will let him see UK etc.

Thanks man. (But no dey talk like that for here. I am perceived as a bad man, so no spoil my NL rep jare lol) grin

Ujujoan:

You really cannot force a horse to drink. I tried doing that last time, but once again she played the "kids and husband" cards. What more can I do?
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by orbaxy(m): 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2010
They never let me show up @ home with my girlfriends embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Man Narrates What Happened After He Was Wrongly Accused At A Bus Stop (Vid) / Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently / What Lessons Have You Learnt In 2020?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.