Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,847 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:45 AM

What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria (19071 Views)

Fayose Browsing At College Of Education E-library, Ekiti (Photo) / Give Jonathan Benefit Of Doubt – Abdusalami / Imo State Announces Absolute Free Education To Non Indigenes In State University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:06pm On Sep 21, 2010
I gave short shrift to martinosi's post because in the first place its not as if in the pre-SAP era things were any better as regards federally funded universities coming up with ground breaking research. It is essentially a red-herring and diversionary argument.

What in fact are we supposed to be discussing on this thread?? Is it looking back in nostalgia at a supposedly golden age or how to create, from scratch, a scientific and research culture in the country.

What we had in the past was that the federal government did send deserving students to Western universities on government scholarships. The problem of this is that when they came back with their foreign degrees they simply took up teaching and administrative positions within academia whilst at the same time  cut themselves off from the new and exciting developments in their fields by the very nature of their resposibilities. The end result of this  was that their foreign colleagues who stayed within the mainstream Western academia soon left them far behind.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by oyinda3(f): 6:47pm On Sep 21, 2010
Seems you dont understand my point- i would assume because you did not live in Nigeria long enough. Usually in Western Countries- the well educated become the upper class yes most of the time. Infact usually you have to be well educated in the US/UK/West Europe to gain middle class/upper middle status. Consequently their is a tradition of scholarship within families. [b]A significant number of famous researchers came from families which were heavily invested in academia. [/b]So in a way there is an IQ cutoff to wealth- like the smarter people typically attain middle class status. Not all the time though. Take for example a Nobel laureate such as Tsien:

OMG sefago.
that's why i say that the privileged in nigeria should invest more in academia because they have resources that can enable them to accomplish that!!! duh!!!
I was recognizing the problem and trying to offer a solution. we are saying the same thing!!!

and yes naija system is not very meritocratic. it's mostly about who you know rather than what you know. which is why i'm saying that rich ppl should change the system. and invest more in academics either within their families or through philanthropic means so that poor people can also benefit from it.
yea the appeal may fall on deaf ears for whatever reason. but it is definitely one way to approach the problem.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 21, 2010
oyinda.:

OMG sefago.
that's why i say that the privileged in nigeria should invest more in academia because they have resources that can enable them to accomplish that!!! duh!!!
I was recognizing the problem and trying to offer a solution. we are saying the same thing!!!
and yes naija system is not very meritocratic. it's mostly about who you know rather than what you know. which is why i'm saying that rich ppl should change the system. and invest more in academics either within their families or through philanthropic means so that poor people can also benefit from it.
it is definitely one way to approach the problem.
I think scholarships for the poor, although well-meaning and good in other ways, would not really go about creating  a scientific tradition and culture within a family.
Because you almost invariably have the scenario whereby the poor man would be forced to seek the most lucrative job available after his studies.
On the other hand there should not be that much pressure on the offspring of a very wealthy Nigerian who decides to pursue a carrer in scientific research.
An added advantage is that presumably, this guy would be able to secure the necessary funds if he decides to apply his technical knowledge in establishing a running a start-up business
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Gamine(f): 10:21pm On Sep 22, 2010
I think someone mentioned something about Bill Gates on this thread.

"I certainly owe all my success to having had a great education. I went to an incredible school, and I remember the teachers who encouraged me. I'm so lucky. I had what every kid should have, honestly,"

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/microsofts-gates-joins-superman-school-mission-ap
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by davidif: 3:46am On Sep 23, 2010
Gamine:

I think someone mentioned something about Bill Gates on this thread.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/microsofts-gates-joins-superman-school-mission-ap

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for posting this, awesome, awesome post. I have watched Bill Gates say this several times (crediting the great education he got for being the person he is) but meanwhile ignorant folks come on here to say stuff like "wasn't bill gates a drop out?" and ignoring the fact that he got an excellent education from the elementary level all the way to the tertiary level before eventually dropping out. Can you imagine if Steve Jobs had not had a great education? can you imagine where he would be today? once again, gamine thanks for the post jare.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by oyinda3(f): 3:57am On Sep 23, 2010
even better that he is contributing money to public schools in his hometown.
i agree with him that private schools provide better education. but this is general knowledge anyways.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 23, 2010
oyinda.:

even better that he is contributing money to public schools in his hometown.
i agree with him that private schools provide better education. but this is general knowledge anyways.
True. That seems to be the issue here. People are juxtaposing - not to say mixing up- good general education which a lot of Nigerians have and the ability and the wherewithal to make creative and original scientific discoveries which is at a premium in Nigeria and some other developing countries.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Gamine(f): 11:37am On Sep 23, 2010
tensor777:

True. That seems to be the issue here. People are juxtaposing - not to say mixing up- good general education which a lot of Nigerians have and  the ability and the wherewithal to make creative and original scientific discoveries which is at a premium in Nigeria and some other developing countries.

The 'Koko' is that these things (Whatever scientific discovery or innovation someone is going to make) starts when people are young, by providing an environment that nurtures and enhances such.

@Oyinda

Had a discussion with my uncle on something entirely different and When he said 'Only the Rich have rights and can talk, in Nigeria, Meanwhile the poor are suspects ' I just remembered this thread. It really does make sense. If the rich folks (those with power) can't take the initiative. We may be doomed. Some of these rich Nigerians are building universities and schools just for their own gain or perhaps out of ignorance. Students come out sometimes worse than when they went in. Doom. Doom.

davidif:

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for posting this, awesome, awesome post. I have watched Bill Gates say this several times (crediting the great education he got for being the person he is) but meanwhile ignorant folks come on here to say stuff like "wasn't bill gates a drop out?" and ignoring the fact that h[b]e got an excellent education from the elementary level[/b] all the way to the tertiary level before eventually dropping out. Can you imagine if Steve Jobs had not had a great education? can you imagine where he would be today? once again, gamine thanks for the post jare.

The root of tha problem. lol
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by lekside44(m): 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2010
tensor777:

You should know better than   to post outlandish claims without any links. I am aware that the minimum requirement to be a teacher in a Lagos State secondary school is NCE or Bachelor of Education. So presumably they should have gone through all the necessary tests BEFORE they were recruited.

By the way have we now diverted from discussing the extent to which Nigerian university graduates are able to compete with their counterparts abroad as per top level research to lambasting teacher training and recruitment?? In other words the same hackneyed immature, irresponsible tactic of blaming the "system" .

well, this is not a recruitment exercise, it is an assessment exercise 4 teachers who are still in active service.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by oyinda3(f): 8:40pm On Sep 24, 2010
Gamine:

The 'Koko' is that these things (Whatever scientific discovery or innovation someone is going to make) starts when people are young, by providing an environment that nurtures and enhances such.  

@gamine, i've thought about that too. it's crazy
The importance of a solid foundation cannot be overemphasized. even Americans have even done a research that shows that kindergarten impacts a child's adult life.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/business/economy/28leonhardt.html
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 24, 2010
lekside44:

well, this is not a recruitment exercise, it is an assessment exercise 4 teachers who are still in active service.

That may well be the case. It does raise the question as to whether these type of tests are appropriate. These are definitely not the sort of tests they should be conducting, as long as these teachers have been properly trained, interviewed and appointed in the first place.
More relevantly these tests do not have any effect on the teachers' ability to properly and effectively instruct his or their pupils. The fact that a teacher scores excellent marks in such rudimentary tests does not mean that he is a effective teacher which is what they should be more interested in anyway.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by DisGuy: 7:31pm On Sep 27, 2010
Studies have shown that locally-produced plastic waste bins are very low in quality and not compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks.

“The previous efforts by the board to address these problems did not yield the desired result

Jonny Boy and Rebranding Dora ^^

so 50 years later we still cant manufacture ordinary wheelie bins that meet specification!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-518748.0.html

Universities churning out engineers like no mans business yet johnnie boy ignores all of them
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by davidif: 8:58pm On Sep 27, 2010
Its so sad that this topic did not make the front page, yet topics like "Taiwo Gets Nigeria Recall And Shittu Dropped" or "Chidinma Wins Project Fame 2010!" make it to front page. Na wa o shocked shocked shocked shocked, it shows our priorities in Naija.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by ziga: 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2010
davidif:

Its so sad that this topic did not make the front page, yet topics like "Taiwo Gets Nigeria Recall And Shittu Dropped" or "Chidinma Wins Project Fame 2010!" make it to front page. Na wa o shocked shocked shocked shocked, it shows our priorities in Naija.

Did you create the thread because you felt it could make front page or out of genuine interest in the educational institutions in Nigeria
Hypocrisy is indeed the biggest problem in Nigeria.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by davidif: 1:41am On Sep 28, 2010
ziga:

Did you create the thread because you felt it could make front page or out of genuine interest in the educational institutions in Nigeria
Hypocrisy is indeed the biggest problem in Nigeria.

WHAT HYPOCRISY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? WHERE WAS I EVER BEING AN HYPOCRITE? I AM TALKING ABOUT PUTTING THIS THREAD ON A FORUM WHERE LOT MORE PEOPLE CAN HAVE ACCESS TO IT AND DISCUSS THIS CRITICAL ISSUE AND HERE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HYPOCRISY. WHERE WAS I EVER TALKING ABOUT HYPOCRISY? WHY DON'T YOU GO TO THE DICTIONARY AND LEARN WHAT HYPOCRISY IS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND START TALKING NONSENSE.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by ziga: 2:31am On Sep 28, 2010
davidif:

WHAT HYPOCRISY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? WHERE WAS I EVER BEING AN HYPOCRITE? I AM TALKING ABOUT PUTTING THIS THREAD ON A FORUM WHERE LOT MORE PEOPLE CAN HAVE ACCESS TO IT AND DISCUSS THIS CRITICAL ISSUE AND HERE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HYPOCRISY. WHERE WAS I EVER TALKING ABOUT HYPOCRISY? WHY DON'T YOU GO TO THE DICTIONARY AND LEARN WHAT HYPOCRISY IS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND START TALKING NONSENSE.

Guilty conscience dey worry you abi

Na you be Nigeria? Abeg. . . don't get me started. You go know the correct nonsense wey never comot for this my mouth.
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by Help4rmme2u(m): 3:45am On Oct 16, 2013
nigeria my pride.... we are getting there abi no b xo
Re: What's The Benefit Of Education To Nigeria by naijainfogalery: 8:31pm On Jan 14, 2015
Egusi, Seeds

Egusi, Queen of Nigerian Soups - Grounded Edition

Let's face it. You love Egusi soup - that zestful spicy companion to your Pounded Yam. If you want a meal that will water your mouth and fill your stomach, look no further than the most popular soup in Nigeria.

Nigerians living in the US looking for where to get Egusi, Seeds (melobn seeds) in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/egusi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Broom Or The Vacuum Cleaner? / CBN: Emefiele Ruled Out For Second Term, Failed To Get Buhari’s Endorsement / Jonathan And His Government Steal 400,000 Barrels Of Oil Daily - Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.