Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,446 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1578980 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:44am On Jan 24, 2010
Malindi Town

[b](Once known as Melinde) is a town on Malindi Bay at the mouth of the Galana River, lying on the Indian Ocean coast of Kenya. It is 120 kilometres northeast of Mombasa. The population of Malindi is 117,735 (in 1999 census).  It is the capital of the Malindi District.

Tourism is the major industry in Malindi. The town is exceptionally popular among Italian tourists. Malindi is served with a domestic airport and a highway between Mombasa and Lamu. The nearby Watamu resort and Gedi Ruins (also known as Gede) are located south of Malindi. The mouth of the Sabaki River lies in northern Malindi. The Watamu and Malindi Marine National Parks form a continuous protected coastal area south of Malindi. The area shows classic examples of Swahili architecture.

Malindi District

Malindi District is an administrative district in the Coast Province of Kenya. Its capital is the coastal town of Malindi. The district has a population of 544,303 . Malindi Town is increasingly becoming known as Kenya’s version of "Little Italy".The number of Italian residents in Malindi town and its environs, estimated at over 3,000, is the largest European population in single area compared to other European populations anywhere in Kenya.

The Italian embassy is the only foreign mission with a resident consul in Malindi to aid its population. There are also speculations that, during the next coming general elections in Kenya, Mr Franco Esposito (Kenyan-Italian), a former chief executive officer with the San Marco Space Centre in Ngomeni area of Malindi District, will be a candidate for the Magarini Parliamentary seat.

Malindi is home to the Malindi Airport, and Broglio Space Port.[/b]

Vasco Da gamma monument(I didnt get the pics of the town)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:46am On Jan 24, 2010
Palm Tree Resort - Malindi

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:49am On Jan 24, 2010
Sheshe Beach Resort

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:50am On Jan 24, 2010

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:55am On Jan 24, 2010
Angel's Bay Resort - Malindi, Coast Province.

, now this has to be the longest pool in Malindi.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:48am On Jan 24, 2010
Mambrui - Malindi

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:50am On Jan 24, 2010
Villas in Malindi

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:53am On Jan 24, 2010
[B]Woburn Residence Club - Malindi[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:57am On Jan 24, 2010
Postcard

Beach

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:59am On Jan 24, 2010
[B]Gedi Ruins[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:07am On Jan 24, 2010
[B]Planhotel Malindi Beach Hotel[/B]

[B]TurtleBay Beach Club[/B]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:17am On Jan 24, 2010
Green Malindi Luxury Apartments (Under Construction)

]

Update:

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:19am On Jan 24, 2010
Coral Key Beach Resort - Malindi

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 1:00am On Jan 25, 2010
Nairobi

Lousy pic: Just wanted to show the progress on the office block coming up on Koinange street (tallest greenish structure in the middle of the pic). I guess its now 10 floors and keeps getting taller. (No renders and I don't even know the name.)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 1:02am On Jan 25, 2010
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 1:08am On Jan 25, 2010

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 1:15am On Jan 25, 2010
Hurlingham suburb

Commercial

Residential

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:18am On Jan 25, 2010

Yaya Centre Mall

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:34am On Jan 25, 2010
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2010
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by naliakar: 4:32pm On Jan 25, 2010
@Gallivant

Gallivant for president, will be my clarion call hence forth.
Now the images of Lamu and the serenity around it are jolted (in my mind) at the thought of the massive construction of a Port which I understand is to be undertaken by the Chinese. Any idea where in lamu it will be done and any artist renditions you could lay your hands on. I wonder what the impact will be on lamu as a whole( socially and environmentally).

An interesting feature about Malindi (at least when I visited) were the roadsigns in Italian,Swahili, and sometimes German.I t would be nice to have one of these for they tell a deeper if not complex story about Malindi.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:13am On Jan 26, 2010
Now the images of Lamu and the serenity around it are jolted (in my mind) at the thought of the massive construction of a Port which I understand is to be undertaken by the Chinese. Any idea where in lamu it will be done and any artist renditions you could lay your hands on. I wonder what the impact will be on lamu as a whole( socially and environmentally).

An interesting feature about Malindi (at least when I visited) were the roadsigns in Italian,Swahili, and sometimes German.I t would be nice to have one of these for they tell a deeper if not complex story about Malindi.

I gladly accept. winkI have an article from the newspaper about the Lamu port.A lot of people have mixed feelings about it espeacially because Lamu is a world heritage site.According to me,the beauty of this project is the accompaying projects (roads/rails/airports) linking Lamu to Ethiopia and Sudan. This should open up the otherwise desolate and neglected parts of northern Kenya.

Kibaki lauds China support on infrastructure

The Chinese Government will continue providing technical and financial support for Kenya’s infrastructure development.

Speaking during a meeting with President Kibaki at Harambee House on Tuesday, Chinese Ambassador Deng Hongbo expressed his government’s interest in assisting Kenya in the construction of the proposed Lamu Port.

Ambassador Hongbo assured President Kibaki that China was also keen on supporting Kenya in the construction of a railway line to Ethiopia and Southern Sudan and upgrading of the Mombasa – Kampala railway line.

The Kenyan Government is currently in talks with prospective investors to ensure the country gets the best deal in the development of the Lamu Port and the second infrastructure corridor.

On his part, President Kibaki thanked the Chinese Government for its support in improving the country’s infrastructure, especially the construction and rehabilitation of roads.

The President said he was satisfied with the level of cooperation between Kenya and China, noting that relations between the two countries have gained momentum over the years.

China and Kenya have in the past signed many agreements in various fields including technical and cultural cooperation, trade, education, health, energy, agriculture and cooperative development.

Under the agreement on economic and technical cooperation, China extended to Kenya loans and grants for many projects including the Sh8.5 billion Northern and Eastern Bypasses road project and the Sh2.16 billion JKIA – Gigiri road.

On tourism cooperation, China granted an approved destination status to Kenya in 2003 leading to a steady increase in the number of Chinese tourists to Kenya especially after the introduction of direct Kenya Airways flights to Guangzhou and Hong Kong.

Present during the meeting were Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetangula and the Minister for Transport Chirau Ali Mwakwere.

[img]http://An interesting feature about Malindi (at least when I visited) were the roadsigns in Italian,Swahili, and sometimes German.I t would be nice to have one of these for they tell a deeper if not complex story about Malindi.[/img]

Complex is the best word for Malindi.I will get more pics of Malindi and Mombasa later on.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:16am On Jan 26, 2010

I gladly accept. winkI have an article from the newspaper about the Lamu port.A lot of people have mixed feelings about it espeacially because Lamu is a world heritage site.According to me,the beauty of this project is the accompaying projects (roads/rails/airports) linking Lamu to Ethiopia and Sudan. This should open up the otherwise desolate and neglected parts of northern Kenya.

The Chinese Government will continue providing technical and financial support for Kenya’s infrastructure development.

Speaking during a meeting with President Kibaki at Harambee House on Tuesday, Chinese Ambassador Deng Hongbo expressed his government’s interest in assisting Kenya in the construction of the proposed Lamu Port.

Ambassador Hongbo assured President Kibaki that China was also keen on supporting Kenya in the construction of a railway line to Ethiopia and Southern Sudan and upgrading of the Mombasa – Kampala railway line.

The Kenyan Government is currently in talks with prospective investors to ensure the country gets the best deal in the development of the Lamu Port and the second infrastructure corridor.

On his part, President Kibaki thanked the Chinese Government for its support in improving the country’s infrastructure, especially the construction and rehabilitation of roads.

The President said he was satisfied with the level of cooperation between Kenya and China, noting that relations between the two countries have gained momentum over the years.

China and Kenya have in the past signed many agreements in various fields including technical and cultural cooperation, trade, education, health, energy, agriculture and cooperative development.

Under the agreement on economic and technical cooperation, China extended to Kenya loans and grants for many projects including the Sh8.5 billion Northern and Eastern Bypasses road project and the Sh2.16 billion JKIA – Gigiri road.

On tourism cooperation, China granted an approved destination status to Kenya in 2003 leading to a steady increase in the number of Chinese tourists to Kenya especially after the introduction of direct Kenya Airways flights to Guangzhou and Hong Kong.

Present during the meeting were Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetangula and the Minister for Transport Chirau Ali Mwakwere.

http://An interesting feature about Malindi (at least when I visited) were the roadsigns in Italian,Swahili, and sometimes German.I t would be nice to have one of these for they tell a deeper if not complex story about Malindi.

Complex is the best word for Malindi.I will get more pics of Malindi and Mombasa later on.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:22am On Jan 26, 2010
Nairobi-Nakuru (A104) at Lanet, Rift Valley Province.

Interchange for Mai mahiu highway (C88) and Nairobi-Nakuru highway (A 104), Rift Valley Province.

Mai mahiu road. (C 88) Rift Valley Province.

The old toll station and weighbridge near Gilgil, Rift Valley Province.

Towards Naivasha.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:25am On Jan 26, 2010

http://An interesting feature about Malindi (at least when I visited) were the roadsigns in Italian,Swahili, and sometimes German.I t would be nice to have one of these for they tell a deeper if not complex story about Malindi.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:31am On Jan 26, 2010
Naivasha Town

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:42am On Jan 26, 2010
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:19am On Jan 26, 2010

Thanks.I will get you the details later.I posted some background infor on the port together with a newspaper article just before the highway pics and it just dissapeared.I previewed and posted the same article again before Naivasha town and I still cant see it. It must be my computer!!  angry
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:43pm On Jan 26, 2010

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2010

I dont have the renders yet and just like you Kenyans have responded with mixed feelings.The beauty of this project is the accompaying projects (roads/rails/airports) linking Lamu to Ethiopia and Sudan. This should open up the otherwise desolate and neglected parts of northern Kenya.I got an article from the news,hopefully this will give more insight about the project.

[img]http://nairobichronicle.files./2009/01/lamu_port_railway_graphic.png?w=373&h=458[/img]
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2010
Kiangazi Lodge, Naivasha- Rift Valley Province.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:14pm On Jan 26, 2010
Hey Moderator,someone is pulling off some of my postings. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.