Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:35 AM

Accountants' Forum. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Accountants' Forum. (40838 Views)

How Much Does Grand Cereals Pay Accountants At Entry Level? / Institute Of Chartered Accountants Of Nig (ican) 50th Anniversary Essay Contest / What Is The Average Pay Of Chartered Accountants In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Accountants' Forum. by Hussain555(m): 3:12pm On Oct 16, 2010
Hi all,
I am a prospective student of unilorin, applying for Accounting.
I want to know the necessary steps to take in order to be ICAN certified as early as possible.
Though I have a bit of confidence that I will get admitted to Unilorin this year, I am thinking of applying to a German University because ''nijja factor'' might come into play and I have no one helping with admission runs.
Your comments on either or both matters would be appreciated
Re: Accountants' Forum. by laboxy(m): 9:51pm On Oct 17, 2010
What a nice feeling to know that this kind of forum for accountants is on NL. I am new here and this is my first post. I finished my degree in accounting in 2007, served with a government parastatal, worked in an audit firm after service, but now i am preparing for my ACCA and CIMA, and i hope to be qualified by the ending of 2011, Gods' willing. Accountancy is a profession to be proud of, it is a professional that entails the values of honesty and integrity. I am proud to be an accountant.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Jarus(m): 8:34am On Oct 18, 2010
Hussain555:

Hi all,
I am a prospective student of unilorin, applying for Accounting.
I want to know the necessary steps to take in order to be ICAN certified as early as possible.
Though I have a bit of confidence that I will get admitted to Unilorin this year, I am thinking of applying to a German University because ''nijja factor'' might come into play and I have no one helping with admission runs.
Your comments on either or both matters would be appreciated
The earlier one starts professional exams, the always better. Some of my friends that started early got qualified as early as 200 level.

With your O'level certificate, go and register for ATS now(a precursor to ACA). It's in 3 stages ATS 1, 2 and 3. Once you pass those three stages(which is possible under one and half year) you move to Intermediate at professional stage, and then PE 1 & 2, which can also be cleared under 1 and half years. While this is going on, you are still a student, combining both your school works with ICAN, which will be related, since you're applying for Accounting. You will be in academic form all through, and by your year 3, you could have become a Chartered Accountant.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Hussain555(m): 11:40am On Oct 18, 2010
@jarus,
thanks for your comment. Do u know if there is any registration centre in Ilorin and also, i'll like to know where I can get past questions and other study materials.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by nitrogen(m): 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2010
ACCOUNTING is a great course with integrity and faithfulness, but one have to be careful because when you get to the corporate world,it may not be easy to maintain your integrity.i am sharing this from experience(little mind you).

1 Like

Re: Accountants' Forum. by sundid(m): 11:39pm On Oct 25, 2010
To fellow accountants,
as a fresh graduate of accounting with no accounting work experience. Cos am presntly doing my NYSC in a sec. sch. I want 2knw d challenges of accounting in a work place? What wld be required of me on d job? And d procedure of keeping records?
As i envisage working independently.
Pls feed me back.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by sundid(m): 12:10pm On Oct 28, 2010
HELLOOOOO,
ANY BODY IN THE HOUSE
odunnu, erotic-me, jarus, my fellow accountants where're u at.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by sundid(m): 12:25pm On Oct 28, 2010
HELLOOOOO,
ANY BODY IN THE HOUSE
odunnu, erotic-me, jarus, my fellow accountants where're u at.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Jarus(m): 12:33pm On Oct 28, 2010
Hussain555:

@jarus,
thanks for your comment. Do u know if there is any registration centre in Ilorin and also, i'll like to know where I can get past questions and other study materials.
I'm not sure they decentralized their registration. You may read up their registration process on their website but I know you will pay an amount into bank and submit forms in their office in Lagos. . Your best bet is coming to their students office in Lagos(Association way, Ilupeju) for full details.

nitrogen:

ACCOUNTING is a great course with integrity and faithfulness, but one have to be careful because when you get to the corporate world,it may not be easy to maintain your integrity.i am sharing this from experience(little mind you).
I fully agree with this. Integrity here is not just about stealing and what not, but integrity with the figures. Manipulations etc.

1 Like

Re: Accountants' Forum. by Jarus(m): 12:43pm On Oct 28, 2010
To fellow accountants,
as a fresh graduate of accounting with no accounting work experience. Cos am presntly doing my NYSC in a sec. sch. I want 2knw d challenges of accounting in a work place?

Challenges?
Well, Accountants are known to be ones that close latest. During audit period, like year end, you spend hours preparing and reconciling schedules as well as meeting auditors' request. and It could be rigorous, especially in an organization that the processes are not so computerized.
But if one has the passion, it's a very interesting job. And more than 90% of Accountants enjoy it despite the rigour, because they have passion for it.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Tunsbobo(m): 10:33pm On Oct 28, 2010
Hi people, my name is Tunde. I just gained admission into oau to study accounting(just like gentlejoke), i'm really happy that there is a thread where accountants can meet to discuss issues and also share their career experiences in accounting. I'm really insterested in writing Ican exams, but i don't know where to start from! How can i purchase the forms?, and how much does it cost?@erotic_me, what u said really frightened me, anywayz, i'm ready to go through the stress and difficulties, i know i'll survive by God's grace. Amen.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Adebhayor(m): 1:36am On Nov 05, 2010
How can i know if my institutn is accredited by ICAN b4 proceeding to register wit my HND result. Plz help!
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Adebhayor(m): 1:37am On Nov 05, 2010
How can i know if my institutn is accredited by ICAN b4 proceeding to register wit my HND result. Plz help!
Re: Accountants' Forum. by seunmsg(m): 11:37am On Nov 05, 2010
Visit ican website @ www.ican-ngr.org . Go to the download page and look for the document on accredited institution. If you cant do that, give me the name of your institution so that i can check for you.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Adebhayor(m): 3:20am On Nov 08, 2010
@seunmsg: plz check 4 me, i finished from kwara state polytechnic, Ilorin this year July (2010). Thanks in anticipatn.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Jarus(m): 8:31am On Nov 08, 2010
Kwara Poly is accredited.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by sexy74(m): 3:45pm On Apr 20, 2011
@ jarus
nice work keep it up
Re: Accountants' Forum. by dexed(m): 4:29pm On Apr 26, 2011
As a physiology 200 level student, wanting to get into the accounting world by writing ACCA, please what are the possible job prospects after graduation. And any advice regards passing ACCA exams would also be appreciated.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by sexy74(m): 4:46pm On Apr 26, 2011
@ dexed
The possibility of getting a job is high if u have finished you ACCA exams, here u are an accountant and a psychologist too.
If you can u have a bright future ahead of you.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Mustay(m): 7:09pm On Apr 26, 2011
The job prospects will increase over the year as firms would demand for accountants who have technical know-how of IFRSes - the manddatory adoption of these standards in FR is just around the corner (Jan 2012).
Re: Accountants' Forum. by graper: 12:23am On Apr 27, 2011
what is the best company to work as an accountant, also will i get a job as an economics major but writing acca exams
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Dsubtle(m): 8:44pm On Apr 28, 2011
hello fellow accountants and potential accountants,
My name is AYO,I am an aspiring management consultant.
I have some questions which i think can be answered on this forum. i appreciate ur anticipated response.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Odunnu: 9:01pm On Apr 28, 2011
@Graper, the beauty of the profession is that you are sought after in every sector of the economy. Wherever there's money/financial transaction, there's an accountant, so you as an Accountant have a wide range of options to choose from.
@Ayo: hopefully, we'l answer your questions and quell your fears, so, shoot!
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Dsubtle(m): 2:22pm On Apr 30, 2011
thanx for your response ODUNU, kindly shed light on the followings

1)is DIPLOMA from a University recognize by ICAN for ATS iii?

2)with technical know how on book keeping/accounting,can I work for small biz to have experience or work with accounting firms to gain experience?

I await your responses.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Dsubtle(m): 12:31pm On May 29, 2011
fellow Accountants,where have you been? got no post
Re: Accountants' Forum. by nklove1: 4:10pm On Jun 02, 2011
pls house, what critical abilities does Accounting in oil and gas company require.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by Jarus(m): 5:04pm On Jun 02, 2011
I'm an Accountant in an Oil and Gas coy. What do you mean by critical ability?

All you need to know is basic knowledge of the industry and industry-specific accounting peculiarities.

Major areas of peculiarities are
1, Petroleum Profit Tax is what is applicable to upstream and CIT applicable to downstream
2, Oil companies are collecting agents for VAT. So when a vendor/supplier charges you VAT, you will not pay them, you are required by VAT guidelines to withhold teh amount and remit on their behalf. This is not the case with non-oil coys.
3,The materiality threshold in Oil and Gas accounting is usually higher; this will affect what you will classify as Capex and Opex

If you have general knowledge of accounting, you can always get to know all these things on teh job.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by chamber2(m): 5:31pm On Jun 02, 2011
I'm an Accountant in an Oil and Gas coy. What do you mean by critical ability?

All you need to know is basic knowledge of the industry and industry-specific accounting peculiarities.

Major areas of peculiarities are
1, Petroleum Profit Tax is what is applicable to upstream and CIT applicable to downstream
2, Oil companies are collecting agents for VAT. So when a vendor/supplier charges you VAT, you will not pay them, you are required by VAT guidelines to withhold teh amount and remit on their behalf. This is not the case with non-oil coys.
3,The materiality threshold in Oil and Gas accounting is usually higher; this will affect what you will classify as Capex and Opex

If you have general knowledge of accounting, you can always get to know all these things on teh job.

Accounting!when will i develop interest in it?It makes me feel so bored.I need something that will make me think.@Jarus, you are doing well. You left Econs for accounting?I only did acct just to pass exams, nothing more.

@all

you guys are doing great, keep it up.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by babaijesha: 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2011
Abeg forget accounting jooo, Na all comers affairs, even if you get BSC Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo , No be to go WYSE or PYE go jack, the thing even dey boring , every one na chartered accountants for Nigeria,
Re: Accountants' Forum. by cgift(m): 2:23pm On Jun 22, 2011
babaijesha:

Abeg forget accounting jooo, Na all comers affairs, even if you get BSC Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo , No be to go WYSE or PYE go jack, the thing even dey boring , every one na chartered accountants for Nigeria,

lol! i share your sentiments. the same reason i will neva allow my children / siblings study accounting in the university. they will study something else and then go to WYSE, Risk Free or PYE to study for ACA and be better equipped. I like Econs (University) and then ACA certification or I.T /Computer Science (university) and then ACA cert something like that.

My two cents.

nice thread. I hope our May diet results will be out this week. wink
Re: Accountants' Forum. by NVasion: 1:37pm On Jun 24, 2011
A Multi-National gift items company from China needs a service of 1,000 Supervisors, and 50,000 Sales Representatives nationwide.

Send your CV and application letter to:

NAIJAVASION
c/o Unilife Business Ventures
5, Omobo-Shokelu Street, Off Lambo-Lasunwon Road,
Opp Laspotech First Gate,
Ikorodu, Lagos.

For more information, Call: 08098323038

Note: It requires no application or a job processing fee, Please ignore any call or message from anybody on request.
Re: Accountants' Forum. by ovila83: 3:57pm On Jun 24, 2011
I AM A GRADUATE OF BUSINESS EDUCATION (ACCOUNTING OPTION) FROM THE DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY ABRAKA, PLS I NEED ASSISTANCE AND ADVICE, I WANT TO APPLY FOR EXEMPTION FROM FOUNDATION STAGE.

AM I QUALIFIED?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.