Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu (5470 Views)

Could This Be True About Ojukwu In Abidjan / Gowon & Ojukwu In Aburi (video) / Describe Ojukwu In One Word. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by supereagle(m): 10:19pm On Sep 19, 2010
ENUGU—FORMER military president and presidential aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, General Ibrahim Babangida, yesterday, held secret talks with former Biafran leader and chieftain of All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in Enugu.

Babangida, who spoke with reporters at Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu after the visit, confirmed that he had reached an understanding with Atiku Abubakar, Bukola Saraki and Gusau to strike an accord.
“We are working together and very soon, we will strike an accord,” he said.

He also sent a message of gratitude to Ndigbo, saying the tremendous following he has in Igboland was informed by his past records. “The records are there and they speak for themselves,” said IBB.

Although details of the meeting with Ojukwu were not made available, as it was held behind closed doors, it was learnt that the PDP presidential aspirant solicited the support of the Ikemba Nnewi for his ambition.

Babangida was accompanied on the visit by former Senate president, Chief Ken Nnamani, former governorship candidate in Anambra state, Chief Obinna Uzor, his campaign coordinator, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, and Ojukwu’s brother inlaw, Ken Joseph Onoh.

Babangida arrived in a helicopter marked 5N-BL which landed at Enugu Airport, closed to traffic since February this year.

After the meeting with Ojukwu, the former military president declined to speak with reporters on the outcome of the meeting but later fielded questions at the airport while leaving the state.

Babangida parried almost all the questions regarding his visit but made a scanty remark. “It was just a courtesy visit. Don’t forget we were all together in the military and as a very senior officer, I owe him that respect. I respect him because he is also an elder statesman,” he said.

When his attention was drawn to the unprecedented crowd that stormed President Jonathan’s declaration on Saturday, Babangida gave no response as he simply clapped his hands for the feat.
But the facilitator of the visit, Ken Joseph Onoh, told reporters that the visit had no political undertone.

According to Onoh, “when it comes to the issue of paying respect to the Eze Igbo (Ojukwu), we all know that he has risen above political issues. Most people that come to visit him come to see him as an elder and basically I cannot confirm to you that the visit was political.

“All I have to say to you is that you know that General Babangida has a lot of friends in the South East.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/ibb-visits-ojukwu-in-enugu/
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by koruji(m): 10:27pm On Sep 19, 2010
As a fly on the wall of Ojukwu's palace related it "IBB went to inform Ojukwu that he would be withdrawing from the race." grin grin grin

Soft landing for IBB - they are going to put the competition with Jonathan on Saraki.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 10:37pm On Sep 19, 2010
koruji:

As a fly on the wall of Ojukwu's palace related it "IBB went to inform Ojukwu that he would be withdrawing from the race." grin grin grin

Soft landing for IBB - they are going to put the competition with Jonathan on Saraki.

Or he may have gone to present to the Eze Igbo gburugburu his CONCRETE program of action to fix the Igbo question in Nigeria. A lion recognizes another. cool
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 19, 2010
supereagle:

ENUGU—FORMER military president and presidential aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, General Ibrahim Babangida, yesterday, held secret talks with former Biafran leader and chieftain of All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu in Enugu.

Babangida, who spoke with reporters at Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu after the visit, confirmed that he had reached an understanding with Atiku Abubakar, Bukola Saraki and Gusau to strike an accord.
“We are working together and very soon, we will strike an accord,” he said.

He also sent a message of gratitude to Ndigbo, saying the tremendous following he has in Igboland was informed by his past records. “The records are there and they speak for themselves,” said IBB.

Although details of the meeting with Ojukwu were not made available, as it was held behind closed doors, it was learnt that the PDP presidential aspirant solicited the support of the Ikemba Nnewi for his ambition.

Babangida was accompanied on the visit by former Senate president, Chief Ken Nnamani, former governorship candidate in Anambra state, Chief Obinna Uzor, his campaign coordinator, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, and Ojukwu’s brother inlaw, Ken Joseph Onoh.

Babangida arrived in a helicopter marked 5N-BL which landed at Enugu Airport, closed to traffic since February this year.

After the meeting with Ojukwu, the former military president declined to speak with reporters on the outcome of the meeting but later fielded questions at the airport while leaving the state.

Babangida parried almost all the questions regarding his visit but made a scanty remark. “It was just a courtesy visit. Don’t forget we were all together in the military and as a very senior officer, I owe him that respect. I respect him because he is also an elder statesman,” he said.

When his attention was drawn to the unprecedented crowd that stormed President Jonathan’s declaration on Saturday, Babangida gave no response as he simply clapped his hands for the feat.
But the facilitator of the visit, Ken Joseph Onoh, told reporters that the visit had no political undertone.

According to Onoh, “when it comes to the issue of paying respect to the Eze Igbo (Ojukwu), we all know that he has risen above political issues. Most people that come to visit him come to see him as an elder and basically I cannot confirm to you that the visit was political.

“All I have to say to you is that you know that General Babangida has a lot of friends in the South East.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/09/ibb-visits-ojukwu-in-enugu/
Na wao . . .the same ojukwu that went to postrate to jonathan in Abuja.wow,ikemba is the latest icing sugar in town.ROTFL
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 10:40pm On Sep 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Na wao . . .the same ojukwu that went to postrate to jonathan in Abuja.wow,ikemba is the latest icing sugar in town.ROTFL

I told you that anyone who believed that story was a goat. Well, what can I say to you now. . .
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by daylae(m): 10:41pm On Sep 19, 2010
@koruji Saraki is not their best bet neither. None of them can match the overwhelming support jonathan enjoys from each political cults,and the masses alike .
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by sbeezy8: 10:43pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Or he may have gone to present to the Eze Igbo gburugburu his CONCRETE program of action to fix the Igbo question in Nigeria. A lion recognizes another. cool

what is the igbo question in Nigeria? One minute igbo are the elites in Nigeria economically control Nigeria, the next there is a problem with igbos position in Nigeria. What would igbo like in Nigeria? or the non elite like you want?

Because the Elite igbos in Nigeria know Nigeria is treating them well just like northern elite, Niger deltan elite and the yoruba ielite,
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Beaf: 10:47pm On Sep 19, 2010
koruji:

Sounds really plausible. In the political calsculations of the North, the weight of the PDP aspirants is;
1. Goodluck Jonathan

2. Atiku (North East zone)
3. Saraki (Youthfulness)
4. IBB (handicapped in large tracts of the country)
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 10:48pm On Sep 19, 2010
sbeezy8:

what is the igbo question in Nigeria? One minute igbo are the elites in Nigeria economically control Nigeria, the next there is a problem with igbos position in Nigeria. What would igbo like in Nigeria? or the non elite like you want?

Because the Elite igbos in Nigeria know Nigeria is treating them well just like northern elite, Niger deltan elite and the yoruba ielite,

Well, if I must burrow it into your skull, we want to be Nigerians or Biafrans. It must be one or the other. How can I be a Nigerian when I can't tell my child that he can become Nigeria's president one day?
If I can't say that -because of whatever reason- then there is a question about my nationality. undecided Are Igbos Nigerians?
If we are, then we MUST produce a Nigerian president. If not, we must leave Nigeria. Simple.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Beaf: 10:55pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Well, if I must burrow it into your skull, we want to be Nigerians or Biafrans. It must be one or the other. How can I be a Nigerian when I can't tell my child that he can become Nigeria's president one day?
If I can't say that -because of whatever reason- then there is a question about my nationality. undecided Are Igbos Nigerians?
If we are, then we MUST produce a Nigerian president. If not, we must leave Nigeria. Simple.

I think this is the wrong way to look at it, considering that there are some 300 ethnic groups in the country who want their kith to be President as well.

What must be done, is the marginalisation of the Igbo must stop, they must be 100% reintegrated into Nigerian society; they must be seen to be equal to all others within the scheme of things; negotiated recompense must be made for pre-war and post-war loses; the civil war must be commemorated and remembrances and statues built for Igbo heroes, so that we can truly bury the past and say "never again."
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by sbeezy8: 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Igbos are Nigerian- maybe its because most of the igbos I know come from wealthy families are enjoying naija when I see them in Abuja or Lagos London or ATL or DC. Do you know The Udojis?  The anumudus? When I say know, I mean personally?
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by koruji(m): 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2010
@Onlytruth
Your position is crystal clear. The only problem is that there are many, many equally eager groups in Nigeria that want the presidency. For example, only an Egba have ever been a Nigerian president from the south. The Ijebus, Ijeshas, Oyos and the Ijebu-Jesha want their turn too. Aha, the Ijaws are raising their hands over there, I see the Itsekiri and the Efik thinking about it.

You and I are not going to be Nigerians until all we care about is an employee in Aso Rock who would take Nigeria to greater heights - that will always require consideration for equity among our ethnic groups, but we cannot make it a matter of MUST in determining who is president. I certainly don't see any difference between the ones from the North and South that have ruled us so far, and many of the Igbos that are putting their hands up so far. Your governors are just as bad in their states as all over the country.

Onlytruth:

Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Kobojunkie: 11:04pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

You deserve a bat right across the back of your skull for that stupidity there  . . . lol

le le onye n nzuzu . . . hiss!
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by sbeezy8: 11:05pm On Sep 19, 2010
Beaf:

I think this is the wrong way to look at it, considering that there are some 300 ethnic groups in the country who want their kith to be President as well.

What must be done, is the marginalisation of the Igbo must stop, they must be 100% reintegrated into Nigerian society; they must be seen to be equal to all others within the scheme of things; negotiated recompense must be made for pre-war and post-war loses; the civil war must be commemorated and remembrances and statues built for Igbo heroes, so that we can truly bury the past and say "never again."

what can be done to fully integrate the igbo because all the igbos I know are enjoying naija and live no different than any other tribe-
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 11:08pm On Sep 19, 2010
What people still don't understand is that Ndigbo feel that there is a post civil war conspiracy against them in Nigeria. That conspiracy has manifested several times, and some groups (who were bested by the Igbo in the 50s and 60s) openly boast that they would never allow an Igbo to become president. So, in light of that, do you think that Ndigbo will accept anything short of presidency of Nigeria? Of course not. undecided

@koruji  It is idiotic to compare us to Yoruba subgroups. We are a nation of between 30 to 50 million people.
It is like telling a Zulu that he can never be president of South Africa. Igbo could be the single largest ethnic group in Nigeria. We are talking about the presidency because of that fact.

Anything outside of that will signal to us that the civil war is still continuing. That is why folks like Ojukwu will remain relevant to Igbo psychology in Nigeria. He epitomizes our struggle, survival and independence.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 11:11pm On Sep 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You deserve a bat right across the back of your skull for that stupidity there  . . . lol

le le onye n nzuzu  . . . hiss!

akwuna nwanyi/nwoke

You've gat to choose one soon though. undecided

Yes, he is your king in Igboland. D'you need a rope? 
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

More like, weasels know where to find each other.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Beaf: 11:17pm On Sep 19, 2010
sbeezy8:

what can be done to fully integrate the igbo because all the igbos I know are enjoying naija and live no different than any other tribe-

Dude, there is a lingering problem that Nigeria cannot avoid confronting, lest it grows bigger and swallows the country (that might sound far fetched, but it isn't).
Igbo's have been marginalised and suppressed since the civil war, everyone knows it and several Northern politicians have admited to it.

If you have ever been to the East, you will know that the decay of the Lagos - Benin route is comparatively minor. The federal neglect there is tragic, it is the physical representation of the truth laid bare for all to see.

These things need to be righted, but I am arguing that having the presidency will not wave them away. Indeed, other ethnic groups want it just as badly.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Kobojunkie: 11:19pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

akwuna nwanyi/nwoke
That aptly defines your person . . . always seeking attention at all cost in the name of speaking for ibos . . grin

Onlytruth:

You've gat to choose one soon though. undecided
No, he is not the king of iboland, and any kindergartner could fill you in on that known fact, but I understand why you feel you need to make him king, cause beyond such statements, your mind probably has nothing more to offer.  grin

Onlytruth:

Yes, he is your king in Igboland. D'you need a rope?  
That rope would work for you since it seems you live for the attention and considering the desperate ways you go to get it, you would probably spatz if you loose it.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by AkinEgba: 11:20pm On Sep 19, 2010
If there is no post war conspiracy against the Ibos why do IBB and Atiku specifically promise to hand over to an Ibo after they have ruled for a single term? The ignorant or conspiratorial ones amongst us here should shut up. Those who know (northerners) about the marginalization of the ibos have spoken.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 11:23pm On Sep 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That aptly defines your person . . . always seeking attention at all cost in the name of speaking for ibos . . grin
No, he is not the king of iboland, and any kindergartner could fill you in on that known fact, but I understand why you feel you need to make him king, cause beyond such statements, your mind probably has nothing more to offer.  grin
That rope would work for you since it seems you live for the attention and considering the desperate ways you go to get it, you would probably spatz if you loose it.

No slowpoke, I asked you to chose being a man or woman. You are scaring people here. If you can't choose one, that is where the rope comes in. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by AkinEgba: 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Believe that fake story and you will believe anything. People who contest elections go to the electorate for support and not the other way round. Jonathan will be visiting the electorate (all over Nigeria) soon and I believe when he goes to iboland, he will visit Ojukwu or any other important ibo person. Just like he will visit the sultan when he campaigns in Sokoto.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Kobojunkie: 11:25pm On Sep 19, 2010
Ahh. . .the usual side-tracking to get away from confronting your silliness . . . classic @Onlytruth. Never really taking a stand when it counts, even when he is caught spewing fallacy.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by T9ksy(m): 11:26pm On Sep 19, 2010
Posted by: koruji
Your position is crystal clear. The only problem is that there are many, many equally eager groups in Nigeria that want the presidency. For example, only an Egba have ever been a Nigerian president from the south. The Ijebus, Ijeshas, Oyos and the Ijebu-Jesha want their turn too. Aha, the Ijaws are raising their hands over there, I see the Itsekiri and the Efik thinking about it.

My position basically is that, after 50yrs of "no show" from our various leaders, i could not give a rat's ar.se where our next leader comes from. My main criteria is that he/she is willing and capable of moving the nation forward. As for the igbo's clamour for one of their kilt and kin in Aso rock- i have no problem with that so long their choice is able to harness our diversity to develop the nation. Anything else is just a waste of time.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 11:28pm On Sep 19, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ahh. . .the usual side-tracking to get away from confronting your silliness . . . classic @Onlytruth. Never really taking a stand when it counts, even when he is caught spewing fallacy.

More like classic kobomanwoman. You think I have time for your madness today?
Please don't derail this thread. cool cool
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Nobody: 11:30pm On Sep 19, 2010
Akin-Egba:

Believe that fake story and you will believe anything. People who contest elections go to the electorate for support and not the other way round. Jonathan will be visiting the electorate (all over Nigeria) soon and I believe when he goes to iboland, he will visit Ojukwu or any other important ibo person. Just like he will visit the sultan when he campaigns in Sokoto.
So you guys are quick to believe this one simply because IBB did the visiting to Ikemba but chose to deny the one he went to postrate to joanthan. . . .so which one you i believe now ?
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by AkinEgba: 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

So you guys are quick to believe this one simply because IBB did the visiting to Ikemba but chose to deny the one he went to postrate to joanthan. . . .so which one you i believe now ?

There is no way Ojukwu will visit Jonathan and only one newspaper (compass) will carry the story. It is imposible.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 11:32pm On Sep 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

This one is in a national newspaper. The other one was figment of your imagination which never made it to any daily newspapers.
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Kobojunkie: 11:36pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

More like classic kobomanwoman. You think I have time for your madness today?
Please don't derail this thread. cool cool

You derailed the dread . . . I called you out on your silly claim on this issue . ,  how to fell to checking what is inbetween my legs beats me. so back to the issue . . . .

Onlytruth:

The above could have only been made by a glorious  with no clue where the line between fantasy and fact lies, and quite possible out of touch when it comes to real issues in the so called IBOLAND. Need I go on?   grin
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by sbeezy8: 11:38pm On Sep 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

What people still don't understand is that Ndigbo feel that there is a post civil war conspiracy against them in Nigeria. That conspiracy has manifested several times, and some groups (who were bested by the Igbo in the 50s and 60s) openly boast that they would never allow an Igbo to become president. So, in light of that, do you think that Ndigbo will accept anything short of presidency of Nigeria? Of course not. undecided

@koruji  It is idiotic to compare us to Yoruba subgroups. We are a nation of between 30 to 50 million people.
It is like telling a Zulu that he can never be president of South Africa. Igbo could be the single largest ethnic group in Nigeria. We are talking about the presidency because of that fact.

Anything outside of that will signal to us that the civil war is still continuing. That is why folks like Ojukwu will remain relevant to Igbo psychology in Nigeria. He epitomizes our struggle, survival and independence.

Number 1 igbo are not and have never been better than any other tribe in Nigeria, Its crazy to say igbo bested anyone, Minority groups in particular were under the hegemoney of the east north and west. What do you expect them to revert East West North? and only vote for any of the three big tribes.

Or maybe you expect ayorubas to go to that awolowo stage- me against the world. NO not happening- we are on our own.

Igbos held higher position before at the detriment of others. in a north 1st and east 2nd  coalition- which is fine

As for the conspiracy take that up with those who feel that way because I like many westerners dont-  THE ONLY THING WE HAVE ARE VOTES and we do nothing but vote like most westerners

Beaf:

Dude, there is a lingering problem that Nigeria cannot avoid confronting, lest it grows bigger and swallows the country (that might sound far fetched, but it isn't).
Igbo's have been marginalised and suppressed since the civil war, everyone knows it and several Northern politicians have admited to it.

If you have ever been to the East, you will know that the decay of the Lagos - Benin route is comparatively minor. The federal neglect there is tragic, it is the physical representation of the truth laid bare for all to see.

These things need to be righted, but I am arguing that having the presidency will not wave them away. Indeed, other ethnic groups want it just as badly.

They should vote for IBB to correct that then-
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Onlytruth(m): 11:38pm On Sep 19, 2010
A lot of horse trading is going on now since both IBB and Jonathan declared. The political maneuvers over the next few weeks will be very interesting indeed!
Let the games begin.  grin
Re: Ibb Visits Ojukwu In Enugu by Beaf: 11:41pm On Sep 19, 2010
sbeezy8:

They should vote for IBB to correct that then-

Don't crack me up! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fg Wasted N675bn On Ajaokuta In 30 Years – Probe Panel / Muhammadu Buhari And His Family Life! / Apc Rally: Provocative And Uncivilised- Igp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.