Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,178 members, 7,821,985 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106330 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 12:27pm On Oct 13, 2010
dskenky:

Great job. Help me with the following statements. Is it " grouse against or grouse with"? Also, why do people say 'sit down" and "kneel down"? Isn't it tantamount to tautology,eh? Pls help.
It is grouse about or grudge against. Now that I think of it, I think tautology comes into play @ the bolded. Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 12:44pm On Oct 13, 2010
Sit down as a noun means a rest while sitting in a chair. In this case, it is written as sit-down. Eg: I need a glass of cold water and a sit-down.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Raylight2(m): 6:00pm On Oct 13, 2010
This thread is hot!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Raylight2(m): 6:05pm On Oct 13, 2010
Wrong - Alright
Correct - All right

Wrong - Atimes
Correct - At Times

'so many a times'(wrong),
'so many a time'(correct)

one of the students not
one of the student
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Raylight2(m): 6:15pm On Oct 13, 2010
British American
Colour Color
Humour Humor
Labour Labor
Habour Habor

In British, 'u' is present while in American, it's absent.

Next >>
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Jomodupri(m): 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2010
Subscribed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by donobi(m): 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2010
ola olabiyi thanks. educate us more.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 8:14pm On Oct 13, 2010
It was said that you don't start a sentence with 'because'. Now you can. Eg: Because she refused his sexual overtures, he went home annoyed. Now WHY was this initially incorrect? Was it?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 8:35pm On Oct 13, 2010
Raylight_1:

WrongCorrect - Alright
Correct - All right
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:05pm On Oct 13, 2010
Hellooo, my people.

Incorrect: Examination fever.

Fever ke? No, na flu.

Correct version: Examination nerves.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:07pm On Oct 13, 2010
Incorrect: He's a masters degree holder.

Incorrect: He's a master degree holder.

Correct: He's a master's degree holder.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:11pm On Oct 13, 2010
Incorrect:He's a Moslem. This is old-fashioned.

Correct: He's a Muslim.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:26pm On Oct 13, 2010
Incorrect: An hotel.

Correct: A hotel.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:28pm On Oct 13, 2010
Incorrect: An historic event.

Correct: A historic event.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:33pm On Oct 13, 2010
Incorrect:I love Ileke, infact, I would like to marry her.

Correct: I love Ileke, in fact, I would like to marry her.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:37pm On Oct 13, 2010
Incorrect: You can repay the money instalmentally. No be English oo.

Correct version: You can repay the money in instalments.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:40pm On Oct 13, 2010
POSER.

He's contesting under the platform of PDP.

He's contesting on the platform of PDP.

Which one ni, abi none?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 11:57pm On Oct 13, 2010
@ Ola
This is rapid fire delivery.Keep it up bro
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 12:02am On Oct 14, 2010
ola olabiy:

Incorrect:I love Ileke, infact, I would like to marry her.

Correct: I love Ileke, in fact, I would like to marry her.

Hmm,hmm
Talking about facts,from the above,are you trying to notify us of something? cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:24am On Oct 14, 2010
^^^.

Yes bro.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 12:33am On Oct 14, 2010
ola olabiy:

Why isn't it Masters' degree holder?

ola olabiy:

POSER.

He's contesting under the platform of PDP.

He's contesting on the platform of PDP.

Which one ni, abi none?

He's contesting the platform of PDP.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 3:33am On Oct 14, 2010
^ He's contesting on the platform of the PDP.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:17am On Oct 14, 2010
sledge406:

Why isn't it Masters' degree holder?

He's contesting the platform of PDP.

Whoa sledge.
These questions of yours,are they honest or they derive from your siggy wink cheesy wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 5:21am On Oct 14, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^.

Yes bro.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

***clears throat again***
Errr,ever heard of a certain mazi uche?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 6:39am On Oct 14, 2010
ola olabiy:

Chei! chei! chei!
I'm so ashamed. I've been saying/writing 'masters degree'. Thank you Sir.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:07am On Oct 14, 2010
Odunnu:

Chei! chei! chei!
I'm so ashamed. I've been saying/writing 'masters degree'. Thank you Sir.

Oduunu, 'sir' again. Pe mi l'oruko. Touch (lovingly o) my moustache. And, knock me out with your knuckle, nau.

Tkb no dey.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:09am On Oct 14, 2010
rasputinn:

***clears throat again***
Errr,ever heard of a certain mazi uche?

^^^
EzeUche, as well, We plenti.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:15am On Oct 14, 2010
Incorrect: Masters of Business Administration.

Correct: Master of Business Administration.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 7:46am On Oct 14, 2010
Hmm,I had to look at my just concluded project work and i'm excited i didnt blunder in that. I wrote '. . .MASTER IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION. . .'I must have written that in error or the typist corrected me. I'm so used to 'Masters'. Chei.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:56am On Oct 14, 2010
Master of Arts (M.A.) - -  - -American English

Master of Arts (MA) - - - - -British English.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 7:58am On Oct 14, 2010
^^^
Don't be alarmed dearie,we all have words,phrases,sentences etc that really make us goof on the English pathway
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:00am On Oct 14, 2010
rasputinn:

^^^
Don't be alarmed dearie,we all have words,phrases,sentences etc that really make us goof on the English pathway

You are right, jare.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.