Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106332 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:34am On Oct 17, 2010
And, what is the difference between 'sport' and 'sports'?

Sport---- British English.

Sports- - - American English.

Also,
the word 'sports' and 'sporting' can be used in the same way. BUT not 'SPORT'.

Eg.

A sporting event;

A sports club.

I mean as adjectives.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:43am On Oct 17, 2010
Please note:

These words are uncountable:

Furniture;
Equipment;
Information.

And, words like

Police and
Cattle are also UNCOUNTABLE. These two words also attract PLURAL verbs.
Eg.
'Are' not 'is'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:47am On Oct 17, 2010
And,

Did you know that 'SPACE' is an uncountable noun as well?

Well, you can 'enrich' it by saying, for example, 'much space'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:53am On Oct 17, 2010
Ok, Ola, how do I 'enrich' these words:

Furniture
Information
Equipment.

It is possible, my people.

You can do this by using words that relate to 'amounts' and 'parts'.

Eg.
Item;
Piece;
Bit.

These words are called PARTITIVES.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:03am On Oct 17, 2010
DearĀ  tongue Ola, what about 'money'?

Money? *My eyes just bulged*.

Well, it is possible to have it as countable and uncountable. That is; 'monies' and 'moneys' (but these forms are old use).

Instead, use

'various sums of money'.

'huge sums of money'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 7:17am On Oct 17, 2010
ola olabiy:

Odunnu, it's 'troublemaker'.

Good job you got it right.

Some people think 'troublemaker' means 'troubleshooter'.

In fact, it means the OPPOSITE.

I actually get irritated when I hear people use troubleshooter in place of troublemaker
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:32pm On Oct 17, 2010
^^^
Abi oo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 2:18pm On Oct 17, 2010
Happy Sunday to y'all and by the way, where are the rest
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:31pm On Oct 17, 2010
Incorrect: Disvirgin. It is unEnglish.

Correct: Deflower.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2010
disvirgin
are u kidding me?
You are making a mockery of my spoken English!
I'v used that word over and over!I'm really ashamed of myself now.
Thank you Mr Ola
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:24pm On Oct 17, 2010
^^^
Odunnu:

disvirgin
I'm really ashamed of myself now.
Haba. Na just language nau. it doesn't 'make a dent' in your avowed brilliance.

How u take understand Hausa?
Abeg, tell me. You just dey make me kolo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by oolalekan: 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2010
This is a great opportunity, for more information, please call 08050525675

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^Haba. Na just language nau. it doesn't 'make a dent' in your avowed brilliance.

How u take understand Hausa?
Abeg, tell me. You just dey make me kolo.
how do you know I speak hausa?you'v been rummaging through my posts abi?
Nothing is secret I guess in Nl.
I was born in the north thats how I got to understand the language.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2010
^^^
Am I a stalker, baby? Nah!

I read other threads, too.

But, do you understand Yoruba, too?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2010
Passable Yoruba, not as proficient as Ibo,hausa,ijaw,efik,tiv,gwari,kagoro or kalabari
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:56pm On Oct 17, 2010
Odunnu:

Passable Yoruba, not as proficient as Ibo,hausa,ijaw,efik,tiv,gwari,kagoro or kalabari

Chei! Only youuuuuu?

Now, I am smitten with uuuuuuuuu. wink

Drooling sef.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2010
Make Tkb 'cash' u
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:09pm On Oct 17, 2010
Odunnu:

Make Tkb 'cash' u

LOL!
Dem don send am on those trips again.

So, e no dey!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:46pm On Oct 17, 2010
POSER.

He sticks to his gun.

He sticks to his guns.

Which one ni, my people?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by debosky(m): 8:47pm On Oct 17, 2010
ze sekond wan. grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2010
^^^
Great bro.

Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:52pm On Oct 17, 2010
POSER.

What does the future has in stock for us?

What does the future has in store for us?

Which one ni ooo?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by debosky(m): 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2010
Both are wrong

Answer is

What does the future have in store for us?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER.

What does the future has in stock for us?

What does the future has in store for us?

Which one ni ooo?
This is simply the case of teacher dont teach me nonsense.

[s]This is what happens when some ppl are more worried abt "owo ti deee" and Fayemi. [/s]
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ugwu111: 10:17pm On Oct 17, 2010
THE FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC NEKEDE 1st ADMISSION LIST IS OUT AND 2ND LIST WILL BE OUT SOON,IS BEING PASTED AT THE ADMIN BLOCK WITH SCIENCE TECH HAVING THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF CANDIDATES OF 867 FOLLOWED BY MASS COMMUNICATION WHICH HAS ABOUT 400 NAMES. FOR MORE INFO COME TO THE SCHOOL CAMPUS OR CALL 07061132784.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 10:25pm On Oct 17, 2010
debosky:

Both are wrong

Answer is

What does the future have in store for us?

Yes o , the man who invented grammar cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 10:26pm On Oct 17, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

[s]This is what happens when some ppl are more worried abt "owo ti deee" and Fayemi. [/s]

Just answer the damn question, olodo!
You don't know the answer and you are using style.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 17, 2010
chamotex:

Just answer the damn question, olodo!
You don't know the answer and you are using style.
lol ori e grin grin grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:43am On Oct 18, 2010
Ok.

I am sorry. Thanks Debosky.

POSER reworded!

We don't know what life has in stock for us.

We don't know what life has in store for us.

Trust Ola, a man with 9 lives! smiley wink cheesy grin

I MUST use my 'has' ni sha.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:51am On Oct 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Mai darling!
Haba. You and Fayemi.

Owo sha ti deeeeeeeeeeeee.
Awo Fayemi!

Let's chat on FB now. My T.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:04am On Oct 18, 2010
POSER.

Are these statements CORRECT or INCORRECT?

She is very furious.

He answered the questions very brilliantly.

Ileke is very exhausted and tired.

He did his very best for Nigerians.

Oya, answer!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:13am On Oct 18, 2010
POSER.

He who pays the piper dictates the tune.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Tell us the correct one, please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.