Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106161 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 11:27am On Oct 12, 2010
sley4life:

Thief& stole
she stole my bumper shot
not; she thief my bumper shot
Do you actually mean to say "She stole my bum shorts?"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 11:35am On Oct 12, 2010
bayleaf:

check wikipedia online, you would also get the word 'grassroots' used as one without a hyphen

Wikipedia as I have learnt over time is written by persons just like yourself and I. Information are editted from time to time and you can help make the corrections where necessary as it could be an oversight on the writer's part. My own opinion (yet it could be an existing word but prove with another link rather than Wikipedia)

Kudos to Ola, Denzel, Slap1, Odunnu, Ileke, Rasputinn and a whole lot of peeps who have made contributions in here as I've gained plenty and continually learning.

Remember, no one is an Island and a tree definitely cannot make a forest.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Pame(m): 12:15pm On Oct 12, 2010
I really appreciate this, please we will like to have more of this seldomly time to time. It's very educative
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 12:20pm On Oct 12, 2010
Pame:

I really appreciate this, please we will like to have more of this seldomly time to time. It's very educative
You sure haven't been paying attention angry

Educating
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 12:45pm On Oct 12, 2010
Language is as relative to it's native speakers/owners as it is generally dynamic. Ipso facto, we can't say that a word is entirely wrong because it could infact be right to some of the native speakers like America, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, etc. This fact also affect the morphological processes. The dictionary does not protect these interests always, which does not also stop the speakers from using THEIR language. From what I understand, 'grassroots', 'grass-roots' and 'grass roots' are commonly used. But I prefer the second.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 12:52pm On Oct 12, 2010
And please, procastination is another common exercise in solecism. The right word is procrastination. Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by bayleaf(m): 3:14pm On Oct 12, 2010
slap1:

Language is as relative to it's native speakers/owners as it is generally dynamic. Ipso facto, we can't say that a word is entirely wrong because it could infact be right to some of the native speakers like America, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, etc. This fact also affect the morphological processes. The dictionary does not protect these interests always, which does not also stop the speakers from using THEIR language. From what I understand, 'grassroots', 'grass-roots' and 'grass roots' are commonly used. But I prefer the second.
thanks for the insight.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:21pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^What insight?
You are funny. So, I should check Wikipedia for the best way to spell words. Abi?
Did you read page 1 of this thread? This is about SBE (Standard British English). Ok?

If you prefer Australian way of writing, then, lucky you.

The last time I checked, SBE was the only form known to Nigeria.

You can, however, choose to write 'colour' as 'color'. Your WAEC marker would be proud of you.

This desperate attempt to prove a point is uncalled for. This is not a class for pantomime.

If you don't understand the use of hyphen in 'grass roots', then to your tents . . . . . ,

Eg. Grass-roots support. Is 'grass roots' a noun in that sentence again.

Up to you, man.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:36pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^
Because of this, let's talk about parts of speech.

POSERS.

He's a member of the annoyed group.

You have to put up with it.

The depressed have been promised.

Is it ideal to be self-sufficient?

Isolationist tendencies would not help.

Hole-in-the-head boy.

What parts of speech do words in those phrases/clauses/sentences belong to?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:44pm On Oct 12, 2010
Let us know the dictionary that writes 'grass roots' as a compound word.
What is the main function of a dictionary if not to guide you on how to spell, pronounce and use words?

Wikipedia? You can edit that site in your room, mate.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by madprof(m): 3:42am On Oct 13, 2010
ola olabiy
You don come again. It is good, though, to speak good English. Keep this up.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by madprof(m): 3:52am On Oct 13, 2010
"ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English"

What is the grammatical difference between the words "error" and "mistake"? They are synonyms.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by blingg: 5:30am On Oct 13, 2010
an annoying one that many people make is 'DEFINATELY' It is ' DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Phate07(m): 6:31am On Oct 13, 2010
madprof:

"ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English"

What is the grammatical difference between the words "error" and "mistake"? They are synonyms.

Madprof, cant synonyms be used together?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 7:44am On Oct 13, 2010
^^^
Minor case of repetetion/tautology but certainly not pleonasm,but we get the point.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 7:46am On Oct 13, 2010
Wrong: Many lives and properties were lost in the inferno

Correct: Many lives and property were lost in the inferno
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 8:00am On Oct 13, 2010
Wrong: Pronounciation

Correct: Pronunciation
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 8:07am On Oct 13, 2010
Wrong: INEC has pledged to provide a level playing ground for all political parties

Correct:INEC has pledged to provide a level playing field for all political parties
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:37am On Oct 13, 2010
rasputinn:

Wrong: Pronounciation

Correct: Pronunciation

Thanks o. But, in its VERB form, it is 'pronounce'.

Funny, really.

Thanks, bro.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:47am On Oct 13, 2010
madprof:

ola olabiy
You don come again. It is good, though, to speak good English. Keep this up.

We have tried to make this thread welcoming.

I don't expect people to find it difficult to understand the main function of HYPEN.

Parts of speech are contextual.

'Worst' is an example. This word is a verb, an adverb, and an adjective.
So, it all depends on the usage.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 8:48am On Oct 13, 2010
^^^
^^^
Yes,but some people have the tendency of spelling the noun derivative by simply lifting the verb form and replacing the letter e in it with iation

So the correct spellings are;

Pronounce(verb)

Pronunciation(noun)
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:51am On Oct 13, 2010
^^^
You are right, bro.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:57am On Oct 13, 2010
rasputinn:

Wrong: INEC has pledged to provide a level playing ground for all political parties

Correct:INEC has pledged to provide a level playing field for all political parties

I have just checked my dico. You are right, bro.

I didn't know this.

Good one.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:20am On Oct 13, 2010
I don't read English textbooks. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary is my GUIDE.

Everything I have said/I'm saying comes from this dico. This is my only BOOK when it comes to Use of English.

You only need English textbooks for syntax.
Oxford profs are the de facto 'standard-bearers'. And, they consult widely.

If you want to follow some profs (they dare not write a dictionary)  in some obscure university in East Africa, good luck.

This profs (Oxford) could decide that 'bring' is no longer a word. Trust me, that is it.
In their attempt to make English the (not 'a') universal language, they have accommodated changes at a much faster rate.

And, they dare not joke with Americans.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by bayleaf(m): 10:06am On Oct 13, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^What insight?
You are funny. So, I should check Wikipedia for the best way to spell words. Abi?
Did you read page 1 of this thread? This is about SBE (Standard British English). Ok?

If you prefer Australian way of writing, then, lucky you.

The last time I checked, SBE was the only form known to Nigeria.

You can, however, choose to write 'colour' as 'color'. Your WAEC marker would be proud of you.

This desperate attempt to prove a point is uncalled for. This is not a class for pantomime.

If you don't understand the use of hyphen in 'grass roots', then to your tents . . . . . ,

Eg. Grass-roots support. Is 'grass roots' a noun in that sentence again.

Up to you, man.
hey man, i thought we were here to learn from one another. why trade insults because i simply said i have seen the word used without the hyphen in some dictionaries and websites.no need to get so worked up over the issue. if u don't want me to pass a comment on ur thread, no problem. shocked
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:12am On Oct 13, 2010
Ok, sorry bayleaf.

But, I would like to know the name of the dictionary. And I will buy a copy, to be sure.

You are welcome on this thread but I didn't expect you to be that insistent on 'grass roots', sir.

I'm sorry.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by kcreal(f): 10:16am On Oct 13, 2010
Ola olabiy, thank you very much, i have learnt alot in this class.

@ resputinn,  I always write pronounciation. thank you for d correction.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:21am On Oct 13, 2010
I have a duty to make this thread interesting and welcoming, but I WON'T allow it to become pedestrian.

I am not English. Na dico i dey use.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:22am On Oct 13, 2010
kcreal:

Ola olabiy, thank you very much, i have learnt alot in this class.

@ resputinn,  I always write pronounciation. thank you for d correction.

Thank you, ma.

Rasputinn is good, man.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by bayleaf(m): 10:46am On Oct 13, 2010
ola olabiy:

Ok, sorry bayleaf.

But, I would like to know the name of the dictionary. And I will buy a copy, to be sure.

You are welcome on this thread but I didn't expect you to be that insistent on 'grass roots', sir.

I'm sorry.
ok no wahala. i usually check online dictionaries. i think you are right because in dictionary.com, it is spelt together under slangs. sorry for all that insistence too.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:49am On Oct 13, 2010
^^^
Thanks, bayleaf. It's spelt 'grass-roots' as an adjective. HYPHEN enriches grammar.

Eg. Hole-in-the-head boy. The conjoined word is an adjective.

These are 4 words, separately.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by dskenky(m): 11:47am On Oct 13, 2010
Great job. Help me with the following statements. Is it " grouse against or grouse with"? Also, why do people say 'sit down" and "kneel down"? Isn't it tantamount to tautology,eh? Pls help.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.