Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106324 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 8:22am On Oct 14, 2010
rasputinn:

Whoa sledge.
These questions of yours,are they honest or they derive from your siggy wink cheesy wink
Gotta love my Siggy, right? wink

I asked only one question though as all I needed was clarity.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by rasputinn(m): 9:29pm On Oct 14, 2010
sledge406:

Gotta love my Siggy, right? wink

I asked only one question though as all I needed was clarity.

Yes yes.It sounds cool,just like a line from one of those la cosa nostra flicks
Abi you be mafia?

Per the clarification,I guess you're okay now
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sledge406: 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2010
wink I'm no mafia. Just Sledge! wink

Per the clarification, I go take am as I see am o.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Dkaz(m): 11:28pm On Oct 14, 2010
What a wonderfull site. Just visit www.9jamob.tk for you latest free browsing trick.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:57am On Oct 15, 2010
Incorrect: Abuja does not fair better.

Correct: Abuja does not fare better.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:00am On Oct 15, 2010
Incorrect: The Chief is enjoying his ill-gotten money.

Crrect: The Chief is enjoying his ill-gotten gains.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:13am On Oct 15, 2010
POSER

Which of the following can you LAUNCH:

An enquiry

An invasion

A missile

A campaign

An investigation

An attack

A rocket
?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Dkaz(m): 8:28am On Oct 15, 2010
Wow new mtn cheat released, Just visit www.9jamob.tk and see the swag. Its real
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:38am On Oct 15, 2010
^^^
Are you dopey?

Turd!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:49am On Oct 15, 2010
Incorrect: Odunnu's dad is a big man.

Correct: Odunnu's dad is a big shot/big wig/big gun/big wheel/Big Chief/big name/big cheese.

North American origin.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 10:24am On Oct 15, 2010
Hehehehehehe. Troublemaker or is it trouble maker?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:57am On Oct 15, 2010
^^^
Na truth I talk.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:00pm On Oct 15, 2010
Incorrect: What colour has the car?

Correct: What colour is the car?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2010
Incorrect: The car is red in colour.

Correct version: The car is red.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2010
I was asking if its troublemaker or trouble maker
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Raylight2(m): 12:30pm On Oct 15, 2010
I want to know which of these is the correct one.

- Procrastination is a thief of time

- Procrastination is a theft of time
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by martinosi: 1:47pm On Oct 15, 2010
YEAH THIS IS THE KIND OF POST/THREAD TOO MANY NIGERIANS LIKE!!!

12 PAGES ALREADY!!!

ALWAYS TRYING TO FAKE IT TO MAKE IT!!!

ALWAYS TRYING TO BE YANDISH!! 

ALWAYS TRYING TO BE A YANK!!!

GOD HELP US!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by idiopathic: 2:37pm On Oct 15, 2010
martinosi:

YEAH THIS IS THE KIND OF POST/THREAD TOO MANY NIGERIANS LIKE!!!

12 PAGES ALREADY!!!

ALWAYS TRYING TO FAKE IT TO MAKE IT!!!

ALWAYS TRYING TO BE YANDISH!!

ALWAYS TRYING TO BE A YANK!!!

GOD HELP US!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you are not been cynical Martinosi. I am impressed by this topic and it is the most brilliant posts i have encountered on nairaland.
We are in an age where one's ability to communicate effectvely opens up doors and brings forth opportunities. The advantages of good communication skills cannot be overemphasised be it job interviews, career advancement, politics, pitching business ideas, writing, not to talk of one's conficence and self esteem.
I am glad nairalanders have shown their appreciation of this post by their levelof interest and engagement.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by idiopathic: 2:54pm On Oct 15, 2010
Hi,
I often this pair of words interchangeable, can anyone please any differences between them:

DEFFERENCE and INDIFFERENCE
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by idiopathic: 2:55pm On Oct 15, 2010
undecided
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by idiopathic: 2:56pm On Oct 15, 2010
Hi,
I often these pairs of words interchangeable, can anyone please explain any subtle differences between them:

ASSUME and PRESUME
PLEDGE and PROMISE
AMUSE and BEMUSED
TERRIFY and PETRIFY
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by idiopathic: 3:16pm On Oct 15, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER

An enquiry

An invasion

A missile

A campaign

An investigation

An attack

A rocket
?
I guess 'launch' is appropriate for a Missile, a Rocket, an Invasion but not for investigation, campaign or enquiry. I am not sure, i would appreciate the correct answers.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:49pm On Oct 15, 2010
Odunnu:

The correct version is:

smiley wink cheesy  grin Maker of trouble smiley wink cheesy grin.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:02am On Oct 16, 2010
Raylight_1:

I want to know which of these is the correct one.

- Procrastination is a thief of time

- Procrastination is a theft of time

I think the correct version is 'procrastination is the thief of time'. An old saying credited to Edward Young, an English poet.

It means delay NOT.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:09am On Oct 16, 2010
idiopathic:

Hi,
I often this pair of words interchangeable, can anyone please any differences between them:

DEFFERENCE and INDIFFERENCE

DEFFERENCE: Behaviour that shows that you respect something/somebody. Not countable.

INDIFFERENCE: Lack of interest (respect?) towards something/somebody. Not countable.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:26am On Oct 16, 2010
idiopathic:

Hi,
I often these pairs of words interchangeable, can anyone please explain any subtle differences between them:

ASSUME and PRESUME
PLEDGE and PROMISE
AMUSE and BEMUSED
TERRIFY and PETRIFY

ASSUME and PRESUME: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary explained these words as SYNONYMS.

PLEDGE and PROMISE: The same dico describes PLEDGE as a serious PROMISE.

AMUSE and BEMUSED: AMUSE is a verb. BEMUSED is an adjective. AMUSE means ENTERTAIN. BEMUSED means BEWILDERED. BEMUSED also means PETRIFIED, TERRIFIED.

TERRIFY and PETRIFY: They are SYNONYMS. PETRIFY also means 'to change something into a substance'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:28am On Oct 16, 2010
ola olabiy:

POSER

An enquiry

An invasion

A missile

A campaign

An investigation

An attack

A rocket
?

You can LAUNCH them ALL.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Dkaz(m): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2010
S40 users don't be late to get your own working cheat its new speeding cheat like jet Oya lets go for new mtn released at www.9jamob.tk
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:38am On Oct 16, 2010
^^^^
Ok Dkaz,

Abeg, comot for this thread.

Abeg. Please.

You are the man!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:40am On Oct 16, 2010
Odunnu:

Odunnu, it's 'troublemaker'.

Good job you got it right.

Some people think 'troublemaker' means 'troubleshooter'.

In fact, it means the OPPOSITE.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:00am On Oct 17, 2010
Incorrect: May be I should tell her.

Correct: Maybe I should tell her.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:23am On Oct 17, 2010
Use of English.

Please note:

Names of American sports teams always start with 'the' (at least most).

Names of British sports teams ALMOST never do.

The Jazz are having a great season - - - American English.

Chelsea have started the season well - - - - British English.

In American English, singular verbs are used when refering to teams.

In British English, The verbs are ALWAYS plural.

Eg.

Cincinnati is having a great season - - - American English.

Arsenal are having a great season - - - British English.

Always write/say:

Arsenal are/have;

Chelsea are/have;

Man U are/have.

Do not write/say:

Arsenal is/has;

Chelsea is/has;

Man U is/has.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (72) (Reply)

FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.