Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,335 members, 7,954,359 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:30 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (107805 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 11:49pm On Oct 08, 2010
ola olabiy:

na 'assswwweellll'.

ok? shocked

Wetin? I'm serious o.

ola olabiy:

'as well'.

Okay thanks . . . cos sometimes I write them together. Same as 'whereabouts' that you mentioned earlier.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:54pm On Oct 08, 2010
^^^
Ok bro
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:01am On Oct 09, 2010
slap1:

I'll go with World War ll. The other one seems to refer to the war in the second world. Is there a second world?

It is World War II (World War Two).

Both are correct but these versions are formal:

World War I (World War One)

World War II (World War Two)
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mykali(m): 12:40am On Oct 09, 2010
This thread is very educative. . .oops, sorry.

Educating. . .right? I seem to have forgotten something i just read (a) few seconds ago.

Ola

in the use Uncountable nouns, how can i use 'wine' in it's plural form? I.e 'Wines'

I also want you to help me explain noun/adjective nominalisations.

Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by chamotex(m): 1:57am On Oct 09, 2010
mykali:

This thread is very educative. . .oops, sorry.

Educating. . .right? I seem to have forgotten something i just read (a) few seconds ago.

You will have to repeat this class then grin grin grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 6:42am On Oct 09, 2010
mykali:

I also want you to help me explain noun/adjective nominalisations.

Thanks.
I hope sey u no dey test me sha o, because me I be professor oo. Not kidding oo grin grin.

Now, let me answer your question.

Simply put, this is when an adjective is turned into a noun. The use of of an adjective as the head of a noun (noun phrase).

Eg Careless. When nominalised, becomes carelessness.

Clever turns into cleverness when nominalised.

What about this one: Glamour. This is a noun.

But 'glamorous' is an adjective. We can, however, nominalise this adjective and use it as a noun. Thus, it becomes glamourisation.

Let me surprise you. The word 'nominalisation' you mentioned is a nominalised adjective as well. It is formed from 'nominal' which is an adjective. When nominalised it becomes nominalisation.

But, nominalisation can also be done with zero-derivation. This is when you don't have to change the form of the adjective.

Eg. The government is on a new offensive (N). As you can see, 'offensive' here is a noun.

But, consider this one: His comment is very offensive (adjective). 'Offensive' here is an adjective.

It can also be a form of gerund (please, try to understand the difference between a gerund and present participle). I worked extensively on this when I was in Nigeria.

An example here is 'driving'.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 6:48am On Oct 09, 2010
Wow!
You are good Sir!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 09, 2010
Odunnu:

Wow!
You are good Sir!
He is!!!

I enjoyed your writings, Ola. Keep e up jare.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:40am On Oct 09, 2010
Odunnu:

Wow!
You are good Sir!

Haah. Odunnu, you are more than good. I no sey u be chartered accountant ooo.

Luv you, sha (tkb417, abeg oo, na joke).
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:42am On Oct 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

He is!!!

I enjoyed your writings, Ola. Keep e up jare.

Mai darling, how body oo?

Na you dey keep me kampe, nau. Without you, i no go fit oo.

Luv you, my D.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:08am On Oct 09, 2010
mykali:

in the use Uncountable nouns, how can i use 'wine' in it's plural form? I.e 'Wines'

Thanks.

Kai, e be like sey u dey high yourself small o. U like alcohol.

'WINE' can be countable or uncountable. It is up to you, here.

But 'alcohol' is uncountable

Now, send a Dom Perignom to my address. Cristal is not bad, as well.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2010
ola olabiy:

I hope sey u no dey test me sha o, because me I be professor oo. Not kidding oo grin grin.

Simply put, this is when an adjective is turned into a noun. The use of of an adjective as the head of a noun (noun phrase).

But 'glamorous' is an adjective. We can, however, nominalise this adjective and use it as a noun. Thus, it becomes glamourisation.

Let me surprise you. The word 'nominalisation' you mentioned is a nominalised adjective as well. It is formed from 'nominal' which is an adjective. When nominalised it becomes nominalisation.

But, nominalisation can also be done with zero-derivation. This is when you don't have to change the form of the adjective.

Eg. The government is on a new offensive (N). As you can see, 'offensive' here is a noun.

But, consider this one: His comment is very offensive (adjective). 'Offensive' here is an adjective.

It can also be a form of gerund (please, try to understand the difference between a gerund and present participle). I worked extensively on this when I was in Nigeria.

Wow! Who says I'm losing out totally because of the strike? I'm certainly motivated. Will definitely do some work with my English grammar text book when I get back to Aba today. I'm impressed to the brim! @Ola please recommend a good English text book for me. Thanks.
ola olabiy:

Kai, e be like sey u dey high yourself small o. U like alcohol.

'WINE' can be countable or uncountable. It is up to you, here.

But 'alcohol' is uncountable

Now, send a Dom Perignom to my address. Cristal is not bad, as well.
U sef like better thing!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:39am On Oct 09, 2010
slap1:

Wow! Who says I'm losing out totally because of the strike? I'm certainly motivated. Will definitely do some work with my English grammar text book when I get back to Aba today. I'm impressed to the brim! @Ola please recommend a good English text book for me. Thanks.U sef like better thing!

English textbook? I have not seen one in ages. And, I am not kidding you, slap1.

I will check bookstores, sha.
But, trust me, the best way is to read newspapers, magazines, journals, etc.

This is a sure-fire way to take your understanding of the lang up a notch.

But, you are a student of English. You need it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:43am On Oct 09, 2010
slap1:

U sef like better thing!

Abi, now,
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:52am On Oct 09, 2010
^^^

This is getting out of hand.
Mods, please, delete these guys' messages. And, ban them.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 11:56am On Oct 09, 2010
ola olabiy:

English textbook? I have not seen one in ages. And, I am not kidding you, slap1.

I will check bookstores, sha.
But, trust me, the best way is to read newspapers and magazines, journals, etc.

This is a sure-fire way to take your understanding of the lang up a notch.

But, you are a student of English. You need it.
It's laudable that you've got all these safely tucked away in your brain. You are to be envied! Well, as for reading magazines, journals et al, I make sure I do that. I've gone through today's edition of The Sun, Punch and Vanguard. But may I ask how long( and how) you researched in English language before you became so well-informed about the subject?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:19pm On Oct 09, 2010
slap1:

It's laudable that you've got all these safely tucked away in your brain. You are to be envied! Well, as for reading magazines, journals et al, I make sure I do that. I've gone through today's edition of The Sun, Punch and Vanguard. But may I ask how long( and how) you researched in English language before you became so well-informed about the subject?

Trust me, I no sabi nothing.

When you do something repeatedly, it becomes part of you, innit? Look at the way you write, for example. I am sure you write well without wahala. I mean seamlessly and effortlessly.

This is because it has now become your passion.

You also need to change your dico, often. Always buy new editions.

And, if there's something 'fishy' about a word, phrase, clause or sentence, check it up. Or check the components up ( for clauses and sentences).

And, keep abreast of current issues.

And, I dey learn every day. Even from you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2010
^^Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2010
Ha Mr Ola, you are an old man o!
Who told you about Tkb and I?tot you are only in this thread.
You are a cunny man o.
@topic, you've been awesome.I really have learnt from you,and I do appreciate. Thank you Sir.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2010
You are a cunny man o.
@topic, you've been awesome.I really have learnt from you,and I do appreciate. Thank you Sir.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 8:29pm On Oct 09, 2010
tot you are only in this thread.

Hmm, there's nothing that can be hidden under the sun. . .
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mykali(m): 8:52pm On Oct 09, 2010
@ Ola

Thank you. Will be asking more questions as i remember them
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Phate07(m): 9:05pm On Oct 09, 2010
Ok Prof, if you understand English so much, could you please tell me why the English language has things like these :

The bandage was wound around
the wound.

The farm was used to produce
produce.

The dump was so full that it had
to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish
furniture.

He could lead if he would get the
lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his
dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the
present, he thought it was time
to present the present.

At the army base a bass was
painted on the head of the bass
drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into
the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

They were too close to the door
to close it.

The buck does funny things
when the does are present.

The wind was too strong to
wind the sail.

I had to subject the subject to a
series of tests.

How can I intimate this to my
most intimate friend?

You park in a driveway, yet
drive on a parkway

Why do "fat chance" and "slim
chance" mean the same thing?

Why do "tug" boats push their
barges?

Why are they called "stands"
when they are made for sitting?

Why is it called "after dark" when
it's really "after light"?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by slap1(m): 2:42am On Oct 10, 2010
^^ I sincerely think your post belongs to the Jokes Section. I don't think the answers to these 'questions' will improve your grasp of English language. That's my opinion, though.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 4:16am On Oct 10, 2010
ola olabiy:

Mai darling, how body oo?

Na you dey keep me kampe, nau. Without you, i no go fit oo.

Luv you, my D.

awwww. You're the reason why I get up in the morning lol.

So you're an English teacher? English major? interesting.

ola olabiy:

LOL been a while since I took an English course shocked shocked shocked

Nomalisation? undecided tongue grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 5:33am On Oct 10, 2010
@Phate07, its an interesting read but thats not what this thread is about. We are doing 'common errors and mistakes' and your post is defunct of any error.
Maybe you should start a thread so we could discuss 'why is it that. . .?'
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:29am On Oct 10, 2010
Odunnu:

You are a cunny man o.

Sorry, my pple. Yesterday was hectic. Holed up somewhere around West End. It was wicked.
Chei! Odunnu don finish me o. Old ke? Lai lai! Tkb417 old pass me sef  grin. No wonder you dey use all these sirs sirs ( my primary school teachers luv d word).
I read most threads but I don't just comment a lot.
And, I have learnt from you as well.

You are a chartered accountant. I have a few papers to complete this. So, academically and socially, you are right up my street. But this tkb417 dey fall my hand.
Aren't you around 25? No be so? We dey the same bracket, den tongue.
My parents want me to get married, nau. They really do. But with you, I no think tkb no go gree. So, I hope Ileke says yes, sha. Still waiting for her.

And, who no like brain and beauty like you  tongue wink. My Ileke brilliant, too sha.

. . . . tkb comes in. . . . . . . . ola leaves the room. . . .(act1 scene1).
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:36am On Oct 10, 2010
slap1:

Hmm, there's nothing that can be hidden under the sun. . .

Please, tell her. I dey vigilant.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:37am On Oct 10, 2010
mykali:

@ Ola

Thank you. Will be asking more questions as i remember them

ok, bro.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:41am On Oct 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

awwww. You're the reason why I get up in the morning lol.

So you're an English teacher? English major? interesting.

LOL been a while since I took an English course shocked shocked shocked

Nomalisation? undecided tongue grin

I am not, Ileke. Trust me. My papa be retired one, sha. And, I didn't study English. But I used to help students pass den (u know what I mean?). I am into management/finance. I would like to work for an investment bank. I no mind oil and gas, sef  undecided. But opportunity never come. Just getting to understand project management now. Trying to help change my life, career-wise.

Is the pix on your profile yours?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:47am On Oct 10, 2010
Phate07:

Ok Prof, if you understand English so much, could you please tell me why the English language has things like these :

The bandage was wound around
the wound.

The farm was used to produce
produce.

The dump was so full that it had
to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish
furniture.

He could lead if he would get the
lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his
dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the
present, he thought it was time
to present the present.

At the army base a bass was
painted on the head of the bass
drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into
the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

They were too close to the door
to close it.

The buck does funny things
when the does are present.

The wind was too strong to
wind the sail.

I had to subject the subject to a
series of tests.

How can I intimate this to my
most intimate friend?

You park in a driveway, yet
drive on a parkway

Why do "fat chance" and "slim
chance" mean the same thing?

Why do "tug" boats push their
barges?

Why are they called "stands"
when they are made for sitting?

Why is it called "after dark" when
it's really "after light"?

My people, una don see?
Imagine literature in English for here. The guy pass funny, sef.
Did I say I be Soyinka, or Achebe?

From what my teacher told me in secondary school, this is 'PUN'. When you deliberately play with words.

He gave me one example then: The two were there too.

Pun, but nothing else!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home / Ilaro Polytechnic Suspends Adegboye Olatunji, SUG President Over Cultism / Bnaira: Former UNILAG's Richest Boy (Then Vs Now Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.